Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mrs Moroccan Roll...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what is this harm we are speaking of?
    Some forms of mental illness, smoking related disease etc.

Not to mention the social immobility linked to drugs use.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You're in the minority here then, and expect you wouldn't stop if your back and neck pain was suddenly cured.

If you want better painkillers, argue for better painkillers.

If you want to smoke cannabis, argue for the legalisation of cannabis.
    i have tried all the painkillers going and they all without fail have bad side effects ...the fact that the side effects of cannabis are pleasant seems to be a problem.
    yes ...i would continue to smoke it as i have already stated i smoke it for pleasure as well.
    i'm here arguing for the legalisation ...along with most health pros and chief constables.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Some forms of mental illness, smoking related disease etc.

Not to mention the social immobility linked to drugs use.
    smoking related as in nicotine?
    mental illnes in those already predisposed to it.
    what the fuck is this social immobility!!!!
  • Options
    i have actualy been prescribed morphine ...as in MST ...i refuse to use the stuff.
    it is socialy irresponsible to precribe highly addictive morphine to an ex heroin addict.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Just a politically and socially limited one it seems.
    I on the contrary think you only seem to get your opinions from the local Conservative Club.

I have another shock for you: I know some people (and know of many many more) who think alcohol is socially unacceptable.

So that's another reason for making it illegal, is it not?

And besides, you are ignoring the one statistic that simply ruins any "potential danger" vs. "already legal" argument.

DEATHS IN THE UK PER YEAR:
    Alcohol: 100,000
    Cannabis: 0

There is no way around that.
  • Options
    smoking related as in nicotine?
    Not nicotine. Tar, soot, and all the crap that gets down into the lungs, and dries out your intervertebral discs, and sits in your bladder all night and gives you bladder cancer, and clogs up your arteries and makes you impotent...
    mental illnes in those already predisposed to it.
    So your solution to that evidence would be to allow only those without a predisposition to mental illness to use cannabis.
    what the fuck is this social immobility!!!!
    Problem drug users - just like problem drinkers - not holding down a job, spending all your money on drugs, not looking after children and dependants, not accessing health services, not looking after oneself....
  • Options
    most of what i smoke is grown by myself or friends ...no money changes hands ...now thats a problem for the government and organised crime.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I on the contrary think you only seem to get your opinions from the local Conservative Club.
    :no:
    That's actually quite offensive. :lol:
    There is no way around that.
    Death is not the only outcome of course.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Problem drug users - just like problem drinkers - not holding down a job, spending all your money on drugs, not looking after children and dependants, not accessing health services, not looking after oneself....
    you have just proved you know nothing about illegal drug use.
    between 5 and 10 % of users have problems.
    meaning 90 to n95% of users ...including long term users are using these things with no ill effects.
    don't you think the nhs would have crumbled under the strain twenty odd years ago if these problems were the norm?
    but no ...the nhs is under massive strain from people using nicotine alcohol and eating like pigs.
    lets ban food.
  • Options
    impotence ...i have a load of kids and am still shagging like a bunny thankyou.
    i have just had kids here for the weekend with grandchildren galore ...we all had a great and responsible time thankyou.
  • Options
    you have just proved you know nothing about illegal drug use.
    between 5 and 10 % of users have problems.
    These are the people I'm talking about!
  • Options
    impotence ...i have a load of kids and am still shagging like a bunny thankyou.
    i have just had kids here for the weekend with grandchildren galore ...we all had a great and responsible time thankyou.
    Well done?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    These are the people I'm talking about!
    well i think you may well find that more than 10% of industrial workers go on to have work related illnesess. what is the percentage of motor cycle owners who go on to be crippled?
    your happy to tar all drug use as bad but then admit it's only the five or ten percent who go on to have a problem of anykind.
    you'll want rubber pavements next.
  • Options
    your happy to tar all drug use as bad
    Not really, but I just can't see the advantage of legalising a substance that could cause more people to fall ill than currently do.

If this was a multinational corporation employing willing people for a pittance, then some of you would be up in arms.

Choice is not absolute.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not really, but I just can't see the advantage of legalising a substance that could cause more people to fall ill than currently do.

If this was a multinational corporation employing willing people for a pittance, then some of you would be up in arms.

Choice is not absolute.
    how do you feel about magic mushrooms being legaly sold which are far more powerful psycoactively than cannabis?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, but unlike cannabis small amounts of alcohol have got known health benefits.
    So has cannabis... But alcohol is a poison. In fact a great deal of drugs we use are poisons, just in small doses. Cannabis has its benefits, as do many herbs... In fact a great deal of our medicines we use today come from nature.

The difference between going to a herbalist and going to the chemist is that you can trust the herbalist because all they're selling are dried out herbs and roots. As for pharmacutical companies... Look at the case for Seroxat. They knew for years how dangerous the drug was and kept on perscribing it.
  • Options
    small amounts of cannabis have great health benefits for me and millions of others.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

not cannabis mate, definately not cannabis and in that statment you've actually inadvertently answered another reason why alcohol is worse.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    inadvertently
    I know the problems associated with alcohol all too well (this very morning I was on a ward half full of alcoholics with decompensated liver failure; not a cannabis user in sight).

That is no reason to legalise cannabis though.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why couldn't she just shut up about it? This is just a storm in a tea cup. .
    it's not a storm in a tecup to her though is it ...she has been arrested and faces going to jail to live with hardened criminals after a blemeless life of toli and raising a family ...she should be screaming from the rooftops about such treatment at the hands of the stete.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That is no reason to legalise cannabis though.

well it promotes the idea does it not. i.e far safer than already legal drugs
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Part of the problem with debates like this is it is polorised.

Those who are in favor claim that cannabis is a wonder drug which can cure all the worlds ills and the other side say its a deadly poison.

The truth is it is a potentially dangerous drug, however, this mild danger is only worsened by the law.

It has some applications medically (we think) though actually applying it is troublesome.
    i don't think anyone is saying it is a cure all but it is quite amazing if you have cancer or aids and you cant face food ...cannabis gives you a healthy appetite again.
    if you have glucoma ...cannabis doesn't cure it but relieves the symptoms and stops it developing any further.
    it works wonders for alcoholics and heroin addicts.
    it helps greatly in spinal injury and MS ...and it's free ... and here lies the main problem.
    people are being denied quality medicine.
    since when was it impossible to break out of UN agreements?
    common sense and current knowledge could have most signatories agree on scrapping it.
  • Options
    it's not a storm in a tecup to her though is it ...she has been arrested and faces going to jail to live with hardened criminals after a blemeless life of toli and raising a family ...she should be screaming from the rooftops about such treatment at the hands of the stete.
    A mountain out of a mole hill then, whatever the correct metaphor is.

A waste of taxpayers' money either way.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    well it promotes the idea does it not. i.e far safer than already legal drugs
    Indeed, legalising cannabis would promote its use.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed, legalising cannabis would promote its use.

which is a bad thing???? :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It is completely and totally irrelevant how dangerous alcohol is in camparison. The fact that cannabis is potentially dangerous even if legalised should be enough reason for it to remain illegal.

That doesn't have to mean that police and CPS resources are used on trying to prosecute people, but legalising harmful substances gives totally the wrong message to society IMHO.
    the vast majority of people don't walk around pissed all day ...they are actualy inteligent enough to know that turning up for work after consuming a half bottle of whiskey isn't a good idea ...you seem to be suggesting that those who smoke cannabis aren't as equaly inteligent and responsible.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    which is a bad thing???? :confused:
    :yes:
  • Options
    im not disputing that cannabis has some negative side effects. Im disputing that those side effects are significant enough or reason enough for it to be given the status of a class B drug with a blanket ban. If it had no medicinal properties then I could see why there wouldnt be much point in legalising it, although i still couldnt see why it is actually illegal when you compare it to other perfectly legal recreational substances. The fact that it is illegal and people who are using it as an effective analgesic with minimal side effects are effectively criminalised, I think is a huge shame.
    Morphine, diamorphine etc all have huge potential for abuse and of course they often are abused, but it is still accepted that they have their use as hugely effective painkillers where all else fails. Cannabis also is a very effective painkiller. Easy to produce - can be grown in this country easily and cheaply, is pretty much one the only thing effective for certain conditions such as glaucoma, dystonia and others yet there is such a hoohah about legalising it. I just dont understand.

I dont even smoke the stuff, so I have no ulterior motive for wanting it legalised.
  • Options
    kentish i just want to ask you one question - do you think the current law against cannabis exists because the drug is dangerous to your health or to corporate profits.........and then ask yourself if that makes the law wrong.......look at canada look at holland there are no cannabis epidemics, they are raking cash in and thinking how dumb the rest of the world are for not catching on sooner.......
  • Options
    the vast majority of people don't walk around pissed all day ...they are actualy inteligent enough to know that turning up for work after consuming a half bottle of whiskey isn't a good idea ...you seem to be suggesting that those who smoke cannabis aren't as equaly inteligent and responsible.
    Nope. That those for whom cannabis use is affecting them adversely will find life as difficult as problem drinkers currently do.

It doesn't have to happen to the majority of users for it to be an important problem. And this has nothing to do with intelligence.