Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Mrs Moroccan Roll...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote:
    Oh, yeah, I absolutely agree. I don't understand why it hasnt' been prescribed in her case actually.
    Were but it that simple.

Not only has she clearly got her own agenda, but morphine is no wonder drug that will relieve every pain. It is particularly poor for musculoskeletal pain like hers.

Tbh, I'd wouldn't be at all surprised if the beneficial effect she perceives from taking cannabis is entirely placebo, such is the nature of pain.
  • Options
    I wasn't advocating the use of morphine, as surely I am in no way qualified enough to know which kind of pains it reliefs (though when I had my knee operation is sure was great).

I was just asking what the difference between morphine and cannabis was as a medication? And no, I am not talking about the chemical formulas :p
  • Options
    I was just asking what the difference between morphine and cannabis was as a medication?
    There are ongoing trials of cannabinoids which will hopefully provide some useful and independent information on the use of cannabis derivatives in pain relief.

Morphine is commonly used postoperatively but this woman seems to have chronic low grade pain
  • Options
    you've got to be having a laugh, this lady was on Richard and Judy last week, anyone who thinks she shouldn't be allowed to self-medicate is an idiot........it's up to the judge to use some common sense, and hopefully this case will set a precedent........she has been put in a position where she has no option but to help herself.......if any of you on this board actually knows the history behind why cannabis was banned this whole situation would seem as ludicrous to you as it does to me.........

the fact of the matter is, the government has no right to tell her what and what not to put into her body, the legal alternatives probably have worse side effects (does cannabis have any? apart from getting high, in this instance) and are clearly not as effective.........as for the dealing, well wouldn't you tell all your mates if you'd found a miracle cure, or would you leave them to suffer? c'mon folks this is bollocks........
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    you've got to be having a laugh, this lady was on Richard and Judy last week, anyone who thinks she shouldn't be allowed to self-medicate is an idiot........it's up to the judge to use some common sense, and hopefully this case will set a precedent........she has been put in a position where she has no option but to help herself.......if any of you on this board actually knows the history behind why cannabis was banned this whole situation would seem as ludicrous to you as it does to me.........

the fact of the matter is, the government has no right to tell her what and what not to put into her body, the legal alternatives probably have worse side effects (does cannabis have any? apart from getting high, in this instance) and are clearly not as effective.........as for the dealing, well wouldn't you tell all your mates if you'd found a miracle cure, or would you leave them to suffer? c'mon folks this is bollocks........
    It's not quite as simple as that though is it?
  • Options
    when i saw the title of this thread ....!!!!
    thankyou fiend!
    i know the point your trying to make about the legality.
    the problem realy lies with the fact that ...you can grow this stuff on your window ledge.
    you can grow it almost anywhere and any time.
    how do the drug companies deal with that?
    pain relief ...relaxation ...panic attack relief ...the stopping of glucoma ...the replacement of MS drugs ...etc etc.
    if you can pick a few leaves off a plant in the kitchen ...the drug companies are fucked over.
    i have a spinal problem ...i can be prescribed highly addictive morphine ...i even posted a pick of the MST i had been prescribed on here last year.
    all the man made pain killers are next to useless or have seriously unpleasant side effects.
    cannabis ...free ...works wonders for many ailments and pains ...especialy heroin addiction and alcoholism ...all for free.
    the trouble with the trials that are currently going on is ...they are looking for an industrialised messed about version ...even a synthetic version.
    meaning ...they will create bad side effects that don't exist in the natural product.
    it is imoral to stop people having the free use of such an incredible herb.
    if cannabis were fully legalised ...no government and no company could make a penny.
    the good news is ...nither could any villain.
  • Options
    isn't it? why not?.......judges have the power to see behind the rigidity of the law and rule with a little common sense, that's all that's needed here surely......? the fact she's so defiant and willing to 'reoffend' (lol) prolly does her no favours in the eyes of the courts.........obviously when cannabis was banned, the medicinal use was not known or accepted and any judge will know this, surely that's why precedents are set, to reflect change when the law is inappropriate.......
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    It's not quite as simple as that though is it?

Why not?

Nobody should be winding up in prison for cannabis use, let alone an old lady who uses it for medicinal purposes.

Yes, she is breaking the law, but then the law is wrong and this is hardly serious.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    the problem realy lies with the fact that ...you can grow this stuff on your window ledge.
    you can grow it almost anywhere and any time.

that's exactly it, drug companies can only patent something they invent, you can't patent a natural plant.........most pharmaceutical drugs today are simply synthetic versions of natural herbs with a few added molecules so they can patent it, and this is often what causes the side effects.........and this is one of the main reasons cannabis remains illegal, because it has umpteenth potential medicinal applications.........so if i was that granny i'd be telling the drug companies to take a flying fuck.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    obviously when cannabis was banned, the medicinal use was not known or accepted and any judge will know this, surely that's why precedents are set, to reflect change when the law is inappropriate.......
    when cannabis was banned ...there were around 700 cannabis based remedies in circulation. all without problems.
    it was banned because the oil companies in the thirties discovered how to make long molecular chains ...nylon ...which could replace natuaral fibres such as hemp ...at huge profit ...and huge cost to the environment.
    the egyptian word ...canvass ...translates as cannabis.
    did you know that in america ...it was against the law NOT to grow it if you had ten acres or more.
    in the past it has been the worlds most important and versatile crop ...where the saying ...smoking old rope comes from.
    it was made illegal for the proffit of the oli/chemical industries ...if it was made legal once more ...both these industries would suffer.
  • Options
    when cannabis was banned ...there were around 700 cannabis based remedies in circulation. all without problems....

what i mean to say is at the time it was banned, they hadn't done the extensive studies and clinical trials to prove its effectiveness...........now they have.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    what i mean to say is at the time it was banned, they hadn't done the extensive studies and clinical trials to prove its effectiveness...........now they have.
    the most extensive study ever undertaken was in victorian times ...to see why some british troops etc were going crazy ...turned out to be syphylis.
    that research was very very exact and has stood the test of time.
    the next big research project was in the early seventies and if i'm not mistaken was called the wooton report ...after lady wooten who headed it.
    the conclusion they came to was there was no medical or moral grounds to keep cannabis use illegal ...the government who had asked for and set up this research ...imediately upped the penalties for possesing the stuff!
  • Options
    Wow, I have a new heroine :heart:
  • Options
    ok it's against the law ...but is anyone here going to tell me that it's right to imprison old people for choosing a herbal remedy that happens to be illegal ...rather than take the dangerous drugs dished out on an industrial scale?
    these old people are no threat to your world ...no threat to their nieghbours.
    but ...they are a serious threat to the proffits of large corporations if millions more ...or even thousands more ...join their cookery club ...
  • Options
    ok it's against the law ...but is anyone here going to tell me that it's right to imprison old people for choosing a herbal remedy that happens to be illegal ...rather than take the dangerous drugs dished out on an industrial scale?
    these old people are no threat to your world ...no threat to their nieghbours.
    but ...they are a serious threat to the proffits of large corporations if millions more ...or even thousands more ...join their cookery club ...
    She is no threat. She will likely come to no harm.

But, there are laws in this country and they exist for reasons other than keeping the pharmaceutical companies happy.

And you do take pot luck (excuse the pun) when you use herbal remedies over tried and tested pharmaceutical drugs.

Pharmaceutical companies would only have their wealth and power if they had something useful to sell. Cannabis is no panacea.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    She is no threat. She will likely come to no harm.

But, there are laws in this country and they exist for reasons other than keeping the pharmaceutical companies happy.

And you do take pot luck (excuse the pun) when you use herbal remedies over tried and tested pharmaceutical drugs.

Pharmaceutical companies would only have their wealth and power if they had something useful to sell. Cannabis is no panacea.
    my dear kentish ...the law is as wrong as the one that stopped women from voting.
    you don't know enough about cannabis remedies to make a judgement in fairness.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

rubbish!
  • Options
    you don't know enough about cannabis remedies to make a judgement in fairness.
    That much is true. I await the trial results with interest.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That much is true. I await the trial results with interest.
    but the trial results are largely based on cannabis that has been tampered with ...such as nasal sprays.
    you can't fucking spray natural cannabis up your nose!
    the trials are being based on an industrial packageable version.
    a factory altered version ...why?
    why arent the trials being done on the natural stuff that has been used since the dawn of time by every generation that ever was?
    because they want to market an industrial pharmacutical messed about verson that they can make money out of ...simple as.
    the last result they want is the one that says ...'hey if you grow this in your kitchen window ...it will relieve this that and the other ...save you a trip to the chemist ...save you partuing with a single penny.
    how could they possibly want that to be the answer?
  • Options
    because they want to market an industrial pharmacutical messed about verson that they can make money out of ...simple as.
    Of course they want a patent. But there are genuine and well founded concerns about cannabis itself, just like there are with digitalis (cf digoxin). And I can't really see anything usually smoked being prescribed as a medication these days.

I'm a little disappointed by your cynicism actually roll.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    And I can't really see anything usually smoked being prescribed as a medication these days.

it is most effective when taken orally ...
  • Options
    it is most effective when taken orally ...
    And most unpredictable.

We really must separate the civil liberties and health benefits arguments, because they are entirely different.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    And most unpredictable.

We really must separate the civil liberties and health benefits arguments, because they are entirely different.
    sorry but it is very predictable ...once you learn the bloody dosage.
    the quality of street drugs is what is unpredictable.
    if you grow your own ...the quality is amazingly predictable.
    fuck the civil liberties.
    at the moment there is millions of quids worth of cannabis of varying and often suspect quality available to the public ...how the fuck can anyone base any credible evidence on criminal supply?
    historicaly there are a bazillion pages of info available ...which most of you don't get to see.
    guess what ...the victorian studies stand up to todays science again and again.
    it isn't a big enough problem for the majority of people to be worried about.
    and guess what ...this billion quids a year industry says ...fuck em ...keep it illegal and we'll still be growing it and smoking it regardless.
    i personaly don't give a toss about the law regarding something that relieves my pain ...has helped cure me of heroin addiction ...and gives me trouble free relaxation and entertainment.
    illegal or not ...realy isn't an issue for me but it is ...for an increasing number of invalids ...old folk ...recovering alcoholics and heroin addicts.
    plus glucoma sufferers ...aids victims ...MS sufferers etc ...who have no choice but to say ...fuck the law.
    these people aren't criminals ...they are benaficiarys of a simple herb.
    all your legalities and arguments are pointless.
    billions of quids will go to peoples disease and ailments relif ...fuck the law.
    i will look at this old ladies case aswill hundreds of thousands of others ...and we will not only write letters of support ...we will challenge THE WHY ... of such unenforceable and restrive and pointless fucking legislation.
    we have been here a million times ...pointless.
    mi;llions of us will continue to use the the stuff and cause no disruption to youre lives in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    well I admire her courage for helping people
  • Options
    I've always believed that for as long as consenting adults do something they want for or with themselves and they're not harming anyone else, the law can go and fuck itself in the arse if it has a problem with it. This case is no exception.
  • Options
    That's very interesting (and I know this has nothing to do with the debate) does adult consent still count with those who are mentally unstable, and would we count someone unstable if they were doing something that harmed themselves (and not anyone else) if we were to investigate, would that be intruding on said consenting adult unfairly?
  • Options
    It is none of anyone's business what people do to themselves. If a man likes to take drugs for recreation or to nail his knob to his kitchen table every now and then, who are we to say otherwise? (In the case of the latter, some might object to paying the medical bill afterwards, but that's another matter).

And in the immense majority of cases it is crystal clear whether the person is mentally unstable or not. Bizarre as it might look to you and me, some people get kicks out of doing 'unorthodox things. It is no concern whatsoever of the law.

In the case of cannabis the law is particularly stupid, seeing as cannabis is infinitely less harmful than alcohol and cigarettes and practically anything else you can think of.

The law is wrong. Everybody knows it. But it doesn't get changed for political reasons. It'd be an appalling disgrace if the woman gets convicted of anything, just as it is a disgrace that people are being fined or jailed for taking whatever drug they fancy for recreation purposes.
  • Options
    I did say it had NOTHING to do with the thread. Perhaps I should start a new one. But do we have a social responsibility to step in and prevent someone from hurting themselves?
  • Options
    No we don't. For as long as the person is mentally sound, no we don't.
  • Options
    Would investigating mental stability be an infringment?