Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nothing to live for anymore

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Then go to the jobcentre and talk to the people there. you don't have to get one of their jobs, but they're there for much more. Including claiming for JSA or Incapacity Benefit (which you could well be eligible for with depression.) You could use this to pay for driving lessons?

My point about counselling was that you have the courage to go and talk to this person, going to the jobcentre person shouldn't be too much more difficult.

I'd realised you didnt have much previous experience, hence why i didn't mention it. You say your cv is unimpressive? jobcentre wil help you with it. they'll pad it out, or make it sound more impressive.

Yes, people do force themselves into the mindframe. sometimes its the only way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    Then go to the jobcentre and talk to the people there. you don't have to get one of their jobs, but they're there for much more. Including claiming for JSA or Incapacity Benefit (which you could well be eligible for with depression.) You could use this to pay for driving lessons?
    The staff in our local job centre are the most unpleasant people I have ever come across. But I suppose I'll have to deal with them. As for JSA, that could be difficult. In April this year, my mum effectively dragged me down to the job centre to sign on for it. However, I didn't turn up for subsequent meetings, (various reasons) and was signed off automatically.
  • Options
    Then try again. you're in a different situation now. you're a different person now.

Find a slightly less local job centre with nicer people? and TBH, the whole place can't be full of nasty people. someone's gotta be nice there. give them a chance.
  • Options
    Find a slightly less local job centre with nicer people? and TBH, the whole place can't be full of nasty people. someone's gotta be nice there. give them a chance.
    Don't try going to the job centre in Pwllheli, North Wales, ever. The people there are utter bastards.
  • Options
    Why? how long since you went? Could have had a turn over since then.
  • Options
    Why? how long since you went? Could have had a turn over since then.
    Last time I went was in the summer. Every member of staff, without any exceptions, are total bastards.
  • Options
    Why? You haven't actually told me what they've done?

And summer is long enough ago for them to have had a turnover, and possible new members of staff
  • Options
    Why? You haven't actually told me what they've done?
    They're bad-tempered, surly, arrogant, incredibly rude. That's what they've done.
  • Options
    just to throw my 2 cents in....

as lots of other people have already said, only you can get yourself out of this mindframe....

I realise that that is a bloody hard thing to do, because it is always easier to remain in a 'safe' (emotional) situation and never face the uncertainity of change, but in the long term, do you want to remain this way for the next couple of months, or even years? I very much doubt it.

You said that you are scared of failure... not succeeding is daunting, but if you never even attempt it, there is no possiblity that you will ever succeed.

I mean, so what if you get rejected from ASDA? it's something to tell the grandkids at least. What's the worst thing that can possiblely happen? - you don't get the job. and that's it. they just say. 'sorry, no'. and really, that's all there is. and then you try Waitrose. and then Morrisons, and so on. and eventually, someone, somewhere, will crack, an give you a job. Trust me on this one, I've been rejected from lots of places.

good luck hun.

soph xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    They're bad-tempered, surly, arrogant, incredibly rude. That's what they've done.

Try them again. It could have been a bad day. You'll find someone to help.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The First Lady
    ...In the long term, do you want to remain this way for the next couple of months, or even years?
    No.

As for Asda, Waitrose, and Morrisons, those are all places I won't be working in because there aren't any in this area.
  • Options
    No.

As for Asda, Waitrose, and Morrisons, those are all places I won't be working in because there aren't any in this area.

SHES GIVING YOU EXAMPLES! stop being so damn pedantic :p
  • Options
    SHES GIVING YOU EXAMPLES! stop being so damn pedantic :p
    I KNOW SHE IS! I'm just saying that I couldn't work in those stores as the nearest ones are simply too far away.
  • Options
    well stop with the I cants and negatives. in stead of focusing on what there isn't, what is there around near you? Where does your family do their shopping? how far away is that? What's the bus service like?
  • Options
    my doctor told me the other week that a lot of my depression is caused or worsened by my negative thinking.
    I didnt beleive it at all! Thought that was stupid and just fobbing me off.
    Anyway i read through a book(overcoming depression) and it said the exact same thing, so i stopped being an opinionated cow for 5 mins and realised she's probably right.
    I know it sounds meaningless, daft, waste of time, but i was told to try think of one positive thing each day. Try see a positive when things are getting you down.
    I dont know how well it works as i find it hard to remember to do but you try it and see.

As for jobs, large companies take anybody on. Not meaning you're no good, just that they dont care what experience you have or havent got or what you look like.
    The absolute dickheads in sainsburys is unreal, and i can see just from reading your posts here you'll have no probs getting a job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by FallenAngel84

The absolute dickheads in sainsburys is unreal, and i can see just from reading your posts here you'll have no probs getting a job.

Sainsbury's gave 15-year-old me a job.
    Say no more.
  • Options
    haha.
    No offence meant, I just mean they really will take anybody on.
  • Options
    I was agreeing with you. ;)
  • Options
    queenmab_roo: What's around me? Very little, it seems. Bloody countryside.

lukesh: A bag of confidence is what I need, yes. Thanks for your advice, Luke. I look forward to talking to you.

FallenAngel84: My depression is undoubtedly being worsened by me constantly thinking "I haven't a hope in hell" or "There's no way I can do this". But I can't help it! I've always thought about things in this way. Whenever a challenge arises, my first thought has always been "I can't do this". Maybe I should write a list of positive things when I'm in one of my better moods. But as for your quote:
    i can see just from reading your posts here you'll have no probs getting a job.
    I honestly have no idea how you can say that. :confused:
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    stargalaxy,
    You mentioned you can't go to Connexions because they don't operate in Wales but you might be interested to know that there is an equivalent, it's Careers Wales to find out more about them and how to contact an advisor call 0800 100 900.

Hope that helps some on the job front.
    *hugs*
    CB
  • Options
    Originally posted by ClaireBear
    ...you might be interested to know that there is an equivalent, it's Careers Wales to find out more about them and how to contact an advisor call 0800 100 900.
    I'll give it a try, though I don't hold much optimism for it.
  • Options
    What you need is a kick up the arse. It's probably not what you want to hear but it's pretty clear what you need. You've had pages and pages worth of people trying to help you, giving you suggestions left, right and centre and you've just thrown it back at them and given excuse after excuse for not doing it. I know you want to help yourself and that you really want to try and I do believe you. I've been in that situation before and it's taken someone to emotionally slap me round the face and a firm kick up my arse to do something about it. It does help and I think it's what you need. If you want someone to cuddle you and give you sympathy then fine, go ahead. I'll give you a nice lil cuddle and a kiss.

I really don't want to sound like a jerk and I apologise if I come off that way. I am really sorry for the way you're feeling and I know it feels like your whole world is falling apart when it involves a girl and you've got other problems that have happened that doesn't help. But this whole thing isn't going to get you anywhere. I know the whole feeling sorry for yourself is just part of the process but please, for your own sake, move on.
  • Options
    What am I meant to say in response to that? :confused:
  • Options

you are right.
  • Options

Nowt. You're supposed to DO something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    Nowt. You're supposed to DO something.

:yes: and the dude's right Danny...you need a kick up the arse. Sitting round moping gets nobody anywhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    and the dude's right Danny...you need a kick up the arse. Sitting round moping gets nobody anywhere.
    That's true. I've got things to do. Thanks for helping me on this thread.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    Sainsbury's gave 15-year-old me a job.
    Say no more.

lol worked there 4 1/2 yrs. Hate the company now with a passion-not the people I was with-the company. very very poor.

Now Stargalaxy hun-my thoughts. I don't know if this has been said before or your views, entirely just my thoughts k! Would you perhaps get any fulfillment out of maybe doing something like charity work. Doesn't even have to be in a charity shop-you could perhaps use your knowledge of the net to maybe help out a charity-a local one perhaps? That way you get to do something practical both for you and well, without sounding corny, the world.
    Even something as daft as maybe helping out with a church type thing-you don't need to be religious but it would make your (I'm sure its not that bad as you think!) cv sound really good-and thats what people who employ want.

Hell I went to uni for 4 years right the first job i got after was in a call centre-this was full of all sorts of ppl and they didn't even know about my degrees!! Its all about whether you are committed and willing to work flexible hours. Well in many cases. I am certainly not sayin go and get a call centre job though! no I wouldn't recommend!!

Have you thought about tryin a college course out-you could use your expereinces and knowledge of counselling to actually go forth and be one. Ok sounds long way off-but you could!

I know its hard with havin knocks like what happend and it can set you back an awful lot. But just getting out and about will make you feel alot happier. I hope.

Take care hun, don't take my suggestions too word for word-just the general ideas I mean and apologies if its already been said
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    Now Stargalaxy hun-my thoughts. I don't know if this has been said before or your views, entirely just my thoughts! Would you perhaps get any fulfillment out of maybe doing something like charity work. Doesn't even have to be in a charity shop-you could perhaps use your knowledge of the net to maybe help out a charity-a local one perhaps? That way you get to do something practical both for you and well, without sounding corny, the world.
    Voluntary work is something I'd happily do. Ideally, that would be fine to start, but I would need a paid job eventually. Maybe it would give me some confidence, which I certainly need. Have none of it these days. :(
    Even something as daft as maybe helping out with a church type thing-you don't need to be religious but it would make your (I'm sure its not that bad as you think!) cv sound really good-and thats what people who employ want.
    I am thinking of applying to university to do a course in something like Psychology. English is another idea I've considered. For the record, I'm a Christian, but I don't attend church services. As for my CV, all it consists of is details about me, (name, address etc) my qualifications (ten GCSEs, two AS Levels, two A Levels) and contact details for two references. Did one period of work experience in Year 10 at school, but it's utterly irrelevant to anything now.
  • Options
    aha! big mistake! any work experience is still experience. PUT IT DOWN ON YOUR CV! you must have learnt something from it- even if it was that you didnt want to do that job. What job was it?

Pad out your cv. I've already told you that you have hobbies. Create a section entitled Interests. Mention the internet. Mention dogwalking. do you ahve an interest in learning languages? mention that.

Another section is skills. do you know your typing speed? i'm not sure if there's a site online that can measure it for you. You're computer literate. say that you're familiar with Microsoft OS, Office for Windows XP(?) etc etc.

Put that into your CV now. I'm practically writing it for you :p