Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Cannabis Day!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People are always going to use drugs, they'r always going to be about no matter what class they are, be it A or C or legal.

When someone wants something there's always someone to sell.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Combine that with what Thatcher was doing to the country...

I was wondering when it'd be her fault...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I was wondering when it'd be her fault...

How old are you? Do you remember it?
  • Options
    How old are you? Do you remember it?

Not quite old enough, wasn't in the right country.

But from the reading I've done on it for my studies, thatcher wasn't as bad as everyone tries to claim. The miners, IMHO, were asking for it.
  • Options
    Thats where we differ then. The economic policies that Thatcher was responsible for fucked a lot of communities over.

Depends on what you source you use for your studies as well.
  • Options
    Thats where we differ then. The economic policies that Thatcher was responsible for fucked a lot of communities over.

Depends on what you source you use for your studies as well.

Tends to be the academic journals.

I think some of them did- the £10billion that was pissed away with the Poll Tax fiasco is a great case in point- but I think that given the situation after the Heath and Callaghan governments tough action was needed on the Unions, who had become too involved in Government and had become too powerful. Essentially my belief is that the miners shot themselves in the foot- they demanded wage rises they couldn't get, and the power stations just went and bought coal from Romania instead. By the mid-1980s it was actually cheaper to import the stuff from Australia than it was to operate the UK mines- and the miners have no-one to blame but themselves.

It's still a tragic mess though, especially around here (County Durham/Northumberland). I think the unions needed to be taught a lesson, but I think the miners probably paid too high a price for it.
  • Options
    Tends to be the academic journals.

Still depends which ones you read. Or don't you think academics can be biased?
  • Options
    Regardless of whether she was good for the country, the economy, etc, she still was an Apartheid apologist and ardent defender of such people as Augusto Pinochet- a man who amongst other things had women raped by dogs and thousands murdered.

For that alone Margeret Thatcher should be remembered in infamy as an evil, twisted witch from hell. The champagne is on ice (as it has been for the last 3 years or so, as it happens) for the sad day in which she pegs it.

But that's another debate and I don't wish to derail the thread further.
  • Options
    But anyway, without getting drawn into a debate over the merits of Thatcherism, there is no doubt that the massive dismantling of traditional industry and the unemployment and hopelessness that followed contributed towards the rise of heroin use in the 80's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

For that alone Margeret Thatcher should be remembered in infamy as an evil, twisted witch from hell. The champagne is on ice (as it has been for the last 3 years or so, as it happens) for the sad day in which she pegs it.

there will be street partys across the land mark my words.
    looks like your off the hook for a while whowhere.
  • Options

I think some of them did- the £10billion that was pissed away with the Poll Tax fiasco is a great case in point-
    and the 11 billion pissed into the wind by the chancellor when we had to leave the excchange rate thingy. but whats 11 billion quid?
    only a years turnover of illegal drugs.
  • Options
    and the 11 billion pissed into the wind by the chancellor when we had to leave the excchange rate thingy. but whats 11 billion quid?

Do you seriously think the State can become the UK's dealer and pocket that cash. Who would do it , pharmacists, doctors, doubt many of them would touch the issue. Many people in responsibility are anti-drugs. What about the law-suits 'my son was a triathllete till he took that E, now look at him, he's a cabbage' Life is not that simple
  • Options
    Doctors already prescribe Methadone, what difference would it be for them to prescribe heroin insted?

Drug workers already give out needles and advice, would it make a huge difference if they could also refer you to treatment centers?

Licences could be sold, in a similar way to the 3G mobiles for the opening of cannabis cafes. The potencial for profit is good enough that the government wouldnt have to put any money up themselves. All they would have to do is let private companies bid.

The type of reform I want is over a long period, 7 years plus before we got to a point where MDMA and the 2-C series of drugs would be available. That would give the government lots of time to look into the most effective, safe and easy way of distribution.

Personally I would suggest that local social services handle the operation, it could be a 'one-stop-shop' for your sexual, drugs, etc. problems, plus being a community centre.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    and the 11 billion pissed into the wind by the chancellor when we had to leave the excchange rate thingy.

That's not really Thatcher's fault- that was the French shafting us. Besides, she wasn't PM then;)

Of course academics are biased, but I've read all sides. I've even read articles saying that Militant wasn't such a bad thing either- but on balance I don't think it was.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Do you seriously think the State can become the UK's dealer and pocket that cash. Who would do it , pharmacists, doctors, doubt many of them would touch the issue. Many people in responsibility are anti-drugs. What about the law-suits 'my son was a triathllete till he took that E, now look at him, he's a cabbage' Life is not that simple

Sorry, but you're clueless. Try listening to people who know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    Sorry, but you're clueless. Try listening to people who know what they are talking about

Please enlighten me further,You don't mean yourself , do you?
  • Options
    Alright, got some arguments and info for you all, this is for a city but is most likely emulated in other big cities.

Total approx value of goods stolen in a city 2003-2004 which are drugs related=£150-£200 million.
    Approx value of goods stolen that won't fund an addiction=£50 million
    Total street value of those goods is approximately 1 third.

Total weekly cost for a heroin addict to fund his addiction=£500
    Total value of goods a heroin addict must steal every week to fund it £1500.
    Percentage of heroin addicts in custody who are unemployed=80-90
    Percentage of people in custody with traces of drugs in their bodies=68%
    Percentage of those people with heroin and cocaine in their body=57%

Paints a lovely picture doesn't it. The police estimate that if the drugs stop then robberies and thefts will drop by approx 2/3.

And no, legalisation is not an option I'm afraid. A lot of people who are much cleverer than us have decided that the crime would just shift elsewhere and still cost the country money from lost tax revenues in other areas to about the same amount.

As for cannabis, the unofficial line is if it isn't blatant then do what you like. if you use it blatently in the street, near children or if children themselves use it then you're fucked.
  • Options
    ps.It's also the belief that legalising even more potentially fatal and highly addictive drugs isn't really the clever way to go.
    There is already enough trouble without adding cocaine, heroin and amphetamines into the mix.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Alright, got some arguments and info for you all, this is for Nottingham but is most likely emulated in other big cities.

Total approx value of goods stolen in Nottingham 2003-2004 which are drugs related=£150-£200 million.
    Approx value of goods stolen that won't fund an addiction=£50 million
    Total street value of those goods is approximately 1 third. Total weekly cost for a heroin addict to fund his addiction=£500
    Total value of goods a heroin addict must steal every week to fund it £1500.

:banghead: LISTEN to what we're saying. Legalise heroin, make it free on prescription to addicts. You won't find any addicts stealing to fund their addiction when they can get safe herion free from their doctor.
    Percentage of people in custody with traces of drugs in their bodies=68%

How is that figure worked out anyway?
    Percentage of those people with heroin and cocaine in their body=57% [/B]

What bollocks that is. Care to explain how this percentage was reached.
    A lot of people who are much cleverer than us have decided that the crime would just shift elsewhere and still cost the country money from lost tax revenues in other areas to about the same amount[/B]

Sorry but that argument about people 'much cleverer than us have decided' is total bullshit. :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    ps.It's also the belief that legalising even more potentially fatal and highly addictive drugs isn't really the clever way to go.

Who's belief? The people who hold this belief are like you - gernerally ignorant of the simple plain facts that we're trying to show you.

There is already enough trouble without adding cocaine, heroin and amphetamines into the mix. [/B][/QUOTE]

They are already in the mix though! :rolleyes: Keeping them illegal doesn't stop people takign drugs, it only makes criminals out of normal law abiding people, or punishes addicts for having an illness when what the really need is help. We need to stop driving drugs underground.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    You won't find any addicts stealing to fund their addiction when they can get safe herion free from their doctor.

He does have a point.
    If someone needs heroin and they can get it free then surely crime rate will drop and the gear they get will be safe stuff.

The more I listen here the more my mind is starting to change.
  • Options
    Please enlighten me further,You don't mean yourself , do you?

Seeing as I work in the field and am studying qualifications in the drugs field, I think I know a little more than you do.
  • Options
    And no, legalisation is not an option I'm afraid. A lot of people who are much cleverer than us have decided that the crime would just shift elsewhere and still cost the country money from lost tax revenues in other areas to about the same amount.

What a load of crap. The crime would "shift elsewhere"? What? The crime is committed to feed drugs habits. Take the artificially high price and balck market out, you get rid of the crime.

Who are these clever people anyway? I'm willing to concede they are cleverer than you anyhow. Not cleverer than the rest of us though.
  • Options

Please tell me why. You have no substance (pun sort of intended ;) ) to your arguments. You just blindly repeat the same thing over and over and over again without actually engaging in debate or answering any points...
  • Options
    An outsider can give a fresh viewpoint unconsidered by those droning away at the workplace :)
  • Options
    Not when you haven't the first clue what you are talking about.
  • Options
    WHOWHERE ...i'm realy glad your sticking with this ...you have had some serious flack the last couple of days ...insults threats and so on. stick with it mate ...
    in the sixties addicts were prescribed ...no drugs problem. in america only illegal supply available ...big problem cos of big money.
    no one is saying that giving addicts what they need is ideal ...they are saying it will be a massive improvement from what the situation is now, for everyone. an addict will have no excuse at all to steal or be unemployed ...if he commits a crime he has no excuse ...so bang him up heavy.
    the current situation is cuasing mayhem. lets go back to the old situation of prescribing which proved itself to work.
    when alcohol was taken out of capones hands ...the killing and the poisoning stopped. industry and government had taken control again. read through this entire thread ...it realy is interesting.
    the only other option is ...tell me what the options are W.W.
    we cannot carry on like this ...billions of quids available to villains and the drug sitution getting ever bigger.
    i keep asking what the solutions are ...we have illegal or legal ...illegal is going to destroy the world we know and love.
    what is your solution to the problem.
    ...and seriously WW ...you have had some serious shit thrown at you on here ...respect for sticking with it.
  • Options
    An outsider can give a fresh viewpoint unconsidered by those droning away at the workplace :)
    if you have anything at all to offer to this debate ...we're waiting.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    WHOWHERE ...i'm realy glad your sticking with this ...you have had some serious flack the last couple of days ...insults threats and so on. stick with it mate ...

Seconded Mr Roll. Some of you need to calm down and stop telling people they are speaking rubbish simply because they offer a differing opinion. Proof was asked for and Whowhere posted some statistics.

Instead of telling him they are bullshit, perhaps you would like to post some statistics of your own backing up your stance???

Instead of going in for the kill, perhaps you could try persuasion through evidence, I'm all for impassioned debate but this is getting a bit out of hand, and you don't get your point across by merely telling someone they are wrong.
  • Options
    As has been said before, most of us are not suggesting legalisation/state control because we think it will be fantastic. We are suggesting it because we believe it will be better than what we have.

It boils down to what option will cause the least harm to the users and society as a whole.

Yes there will always be harmful users, and yes there will still be drug users who commit crime, but if you get up in the morning and you know where your next hit is coming from that HAS to reduce crime.

I think purely increasing the number of treatment centres would make a big impact. People have to wait WEEKS if not months to get into one. Thats weeks where you have to find 100 pounds a day+ from somewhere.