Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Cannabis Day!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    While i was reading through this post whowhere your attitude towards weed was so fucking stupid, i dread to think if all cops take the same attitude as you. GET WITH REALITY FOR FUCK SAKES, people are smoking dope everywhere now, yea i know it might not be right to smoke it on the street...but what would you do if you caught someone away behind trees out of sight having a smoke..no one from the public could see them, you and your officers happened to walk in..what would you do? they are all say 16-18.

Have you ever smoked cannabis whowhere?

People don't end up on the streets begging because they were unlucky, they do it because the dealer who gave them some heroin free the first time milked them for all they were worth the subscequent times.

And this here....:lol:

Can any drug user honestly say that their dealer give them free drugs the first time and then this was the trend of going back to find out you had to pay..bull fucking shit, a dealer dosen't give the drugsaway for free, the dealer sells them to make money, not to give away to someone for free :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Humans have been using cannabis for thousands of years.

What was your point again? :confused:

The MAJORITY of people have been drinking and smoking for thousands of years. It's easier to ban something that not so many people do.

Shogun, no I've never used it. I've never felt the need to, same with smoking. I get my kicks from elsewhere, i don't need narcotics to do it for me.

Maybe dealers wouldn't give away free samples, they still milk people for all they are worth, come to a city in England and you'll see.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    whowhere ...you just don't get it do you. are you telling me that anna ford the news reader is sitting at home a dribbling wreck cos she has taken coke and smoked weed for the last tenty five years ...sir paul mcartney?

Surely you can't promote taking cocaine. Snort coke everyday for 20 years, it's good for you :rolleyes:
    Weed is OK in moderation, I've done it plenty, but not hard drugs.
    What annoys me also is when people boast about taking drugs.
    People who smoke weed everyday should take a look at their lives, just the same have people who down a bottle of vodka everyday should.
    I know 3 people who smoke weed everyday, all 3 live with their parents, have shit jobs and are going nowhere in life
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The MAJORITY of people have been drinking and smoking for thousands of years. It's easier to ban something that not so many people do.

Shogun, no I've never used it. I've never felt the need to, same with smoking. I get my kicks from elsewhere, i don't need narcotics to do it for me.

Maybe dealers wouldn't give away free samples, they still milk people for all they are worth, come to a city in England and you'll see.

You don't have a clue whats going on at street level. Typical police really. Utterly clueless.
  • Options
    It all boils down to whether drugs would be safer, and the social cost lower, if we could control their use in a medical/social way rather than legal.

If you are going to allow people to smoke cannabis why give the profits of selling it to criminals?! That makes NO sense.

Addiction is a medical problem and should be treated as such, jail is NOT the right place.

And these 'evil' dealers who prey on children outside the school gates hoping to get them all addicted, the only way you can change that is by taking their market away. Treating the addicts and by making available restricted amounts of the other drugs.
  • Options

I get my kicks from alot of things, but yes cannabis is one of them, so is alcohol, do you drink?

Well i've never seen any real drug problems whenever i was last in england, that was years ago though.

Is it very bad the drug problems in england? I would like to hear from people who live in drug estates to hear their view on it as well because around here maybe a few people would get into trouble with the police or else the paramilatiries but other than that alot of people just continue to use drugs, although coke and heroin aren't big problems here, a few use coke, it's about if you wanted it but speed and e's and blow are about alot.

The police can't catch all shipments coming in and now alot of the drugs are made in the Uk and shipped out elsewhere as mroll said somewhere..that the uk are now a main exporter and you police are trying to catch it coming in.
  • Options
    The drug problems in England isnt all that bad, we do, granted have the highest use of illegal drugs in Western Europe, but this country certainly isnt going to hell in a handbasket because of it.

In fact the crime rate in the UK has been stable if not going down since Labour came to town, and your now less likely to be the victim of crime that you have been since the mid-80's.

Do NOT believe everything you read in the papers.

Yes we have drug problems, but they are because of the shockingly bad drugs education and treatment services, not really because of the drugs in of themselves.
  • Options
    At least 1 million young people take ecstasy every weekend. No social problems or crimes from them.

Many more millions smoke joints. No many social problems from them either, not because of cannabis anyway.

You want to target people Whowhere, target drunk and disordely idiots. They cause far more damage and grief.
  • Options
    No social problems or crimes from them.

Dealers/gangsters wealth?

Maybe a few long-term health problems from ecstasy and the stronger strains of cannabis. The state has a role in safeguarding the nations's health, prohibition or control may be the only way.

alcohol is not mind-altering in it's action, drinkers use and abuse it in a straightforward fashion plus it will not go away regardless of how many other drugs are permitted
  • Options
    Who are you safegaurding by the current situation?

Drugs are cheaper and stronger than they have EVER been in this country. Yes the state does indeed have a role to play, and that should be in protecting vunerable users, NOT putting them in prison.
  • Options
    and that should be in protecting vunerable users

the 1 million young people taking ecstasy every weekend, presumably?.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    I don't mind my dealer being wealthy. He risks long prison sentences, so it is only normal his remuneration is high. But anyway, I see what you're saying and I have one word for it: decriminalisation.
    Maybe a few long-term health problems from ecstasy and the stronger strains of cannabis. The state has a role in safeguarding the nations's health, prohibition or control may be the only way.
    The state has no role in banning me or anyone else from taking any substance I please. Let's make that absolutely crystal clear.

Other than that, prohibition has never and will never work.
    alcohol is not mind-altering in it's action, drinkers use and abuse it in a straightforward fashion plus it will not go away regardless of how many other drugs are permitted
    Oh yes it is. Alcohol is one of the most mind-altering substances known to man. Go to any pub at closing time on a Saturday night and you'll see what I mean.

Ecstasy on the other hand brings the very best in people and makes everyone happy, content and good to others. Even violence junkies such as football hooligans have been known to abandon violence when taking ecstasy became popular briefly a decade ago.

Anyway, drugs will not go away either regardless of how many laws are passed and punishments given. It's about time the government realises it will never, ever, ever ever stop people from taking drugs.

You cannot have it both ways. Either campaign for a decriminalisation of drugs or a prohibition of ALL drugs, including alcohol.
  • Options
    Decriminalisation doesnt go far enough, you need the drugs to come from licenced and checked sources and at least some of the revenue to come back to the government to go into treatment centres.

Aladin, did you see my Manifesto on drugs I posted recently?
  • Options
    I don't think so, can you provide link?
  • Options
    Ladymuck; Yes, every single person who uses ecstacy is vunerable, of course they are, they are buying a black market product with no qaulity controls what so ever. They are also probably basing their harm prevention information on second hand information from a mate because they dont trust the government because the drugs education has been terrible.

If the education was better and the sources reliable it would go some way to protect users.
  • Options
    Heres my thoughts on the matter, its a shame more people dont go in the drugs section we have been debating the law change of late and it would have been good to get others thoughts.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59505
  • Options

Legalise. I've yet to see a convincing argument against legalisation.

Alcohol not mind alterering? Errr...yeah, ok whatever you say. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'll post here what I posted in drugs:

It's a tricky situation- the trouble is not with cannabis and such like, the trouble comes with heroin and cocaine.

These drugs are very dangerous and addictive, and cause serious damage very quickly into the addiction- cocaine rots the nostrils, heroin causes blood vessels to collapse. It isn't like alcohol or tobacco, which causes damage but only in small amounts over a very long period of time; cannabis does the same, and so should be in the same category.

The liberty argument is a compelling one, but it misses one key point- the state is there to protect people, from themselves as much as anyone else. The state cannot allow people to do what they want to their bodies, no matter how dangerous, whilst being fully able to discharge its duties to protect its citizens. And, to be quite honest, it's a bit rich for drug users to be demanding legalisation and at the same time demanding drug rehab programmes- if drugs are such a matter of liberty, people should be left to deal with it themselves.

The law is just about correct in this time- I would advocate rehabilitation of drug users, forced if necessary, rather than punishment, but for those who deal the drugs then I would advocate much stronger sentences. I suppose its the carrot and the stick- make it harder for people to get the drugs, but help them to get off them at the same time.

No, I don't think drugs should be legalised, because of the public safety concerns. Comparing heroin and alcohol is a ridiculous position to base an entire argument on.
  • Options
    Alcohol not mind alterering? Errr...yeah, ok whatever you say. :rolleyes:

It's not really in the same league as heroin, though, is it?
  • Options
    No. Heroin is much safer. Although more addictive.
  • Options
    Heres my reply to Kermit's reply in Drugs

Originally posted by Kermit
    heroin causes blood vessels to collapse.

Only if used IV with bad technique/dirty gear.

Heroin is much less physically harmful than alcohol. In fact its one of the least physically harming drugs there is.

Originally posted by Kermit
    it's a bit rich for drug users to be demanding legalisation and at the same time demanding drug rehab programmes- if drugs are such a matter of liberty, people should be left to deal with it themselves.

This is nonsense too. Drugs should be legal due to harm reduction reasons as well as civil liberties. By your argument, we should not give any help to people with alcohol, tobacco, gambling, eating problems etc.
  • Options
    Heroin is much safer. Although more addictive.

And therein lies the problem with drugs.
    yes I drink, sometimes I drink a bit, but because of other priorities and self control not as much as I could.
    Does a heroin addict have the same luxury? What happens when they lose control, they go overboard and spend all their money on it? They turn to crime.

legalising it won't change a thing, people will still be addicted to it, and will still do what they can to get it.

And to your earlier question, yes I'll be going after drunk and disorderly as well, thanks for asking.
  • Options
    Have you actually read any of the arguments for legalisation? Care to address the argument rather than ignore it?
  • Options
    Have you actually read any of the arguments for legalisation? Care to address the argument rather than ignore it?
    Legalise. I've yet to see a convincing argument against legalisation.

I'll answer both questions for you. When the majority of the population believe that sitting around in a drug induced coma is a fun way to spend your life then I'm sure they will be legalised. At present most people kind of enjoy being able to have some control over the lives, so it doesn't really matter what arguments there are for, or against. Majority rules.
  • Options
    That is such a non-argument. It makes sense to legalise. Please give me some real reasons why you are against legalisation or admit that you actually know nothing about it.

Typical police attitude actually. Pig ignorant and unwilling to listen.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I'll answer both questions for you. When the majority of the population believe that sitting around in a drug induced coma is a fun way to spend your life then I'm sure they will be legalised.

No they'll be legalised when people understand that keeping drugs illegal is doing more damage than good.

Heroin for example if we have doctors prescibing free safe heroin, with clean needles in a safe envirioment you'll see the blackmarket collapse. Addicts will wan't to buy dirty gear off the streets at stupid prices, when they can get it clean and free. As a result you'd see crimes commited to fund drug habits drop dramatically. Drug dealing at the moment is controlled by organised crime and funds terrorism.

At the same time we can consentrate on education and harm reduction. You can believe in legalisation without agreeing with, or encouraing people to take drugs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Here's the pros and cons of Cannabis legalisation in my view correct me if you wish :)

Pros:

1. It makes you feel good. No denying it.
    2. It keeps the population docile if used moderatly unlike Alcohol.
    3. Extra tax money to be spent on whatever the government wishes.
    4. It keeps it off the streets.
    5. Legal Cannabis farms and processing factories will provide much needed work, hell we could even export grade A UK ganja to other countries.
    6. Compared to Alcohol and Tobacco the physical health risks are lesser.
    7. Cannabis has real medicinal properties and is more the stress reliever than Tobacco.

Cons:

1. It makes you feel good, briefly.
    2. Cannabis users are a little too docile, it would cut productivity and would be dangerous. Going for a funny fag break could be the last thing you ever do at work if you are around vital machines.
    3. It bloody stinks!
    4. Extra tax money would have to go on rehabilitation centres and treatment for hardened addicts (fair enough) and the income could be less than outgoings.
    5. It keeps it off the streets, but kids would have to be introduced to something a little harder. Drug dealers will become more competative and violent. Lower black market prices.
    6. It has the same mental problems alcohol does. Research into the effects of cannabis is sketchy.
    7. There is no on the spot test for drug driving and police shouldn't have to waste time analysing piss at the side of the road. More arrests purely on suspicion with no evidence, possibilities of miscarriges of justice.
  • Options
    to answer someone further back ...no i aint syaing coke is good for you ...i stated that anna ford has used it for 25yrs and is not a dribbling wreck. there are millions of others who have and are doing the same. your point of view means that everyone who indulges in the addictive qualities of alcohol will become a total incapable useless alcoholic wreck ...becuase alcohol has the ability to be addictive and destructive. but most people usw it sensibly. ever read sherlock homes ...cocain and morphine were legal and reasonably fashionable when the book was written so sherlock had a syringe full of morphine to relax and syringe full of cocaine for mental stimulation. he was not portrayed as an idiot!
    it's very easy to spot on here the people who's knowledge of drugs comes from the sensasional press stories of those who fuck their lives up with the stuff.
    gearge best and thousands more like him have turned themselves into complete twats through alcohol abuse ...doesn't give you the right to say I ... can't use alcohol.

heroin is indeed the least harmful drug on the market medicaly long term. no liver, kidney, heart, lung or brain damage at all.
    stick to much up your arm by mistake you die ...it rarely happens.
    give clean heroin to people legaly and controlled and all the ships heading here full of the stuff will have worthless cargoes ...but maybe not ...change the course of the ship to a country where it it's still illegal (uncontrolled) and you'll make your millions.

productivity going down cos of smoking weed ...if people go to work smoking dope you may well be right but then people going to work swigging whiskey would have similar effects. why would factory workers suddenly start turning up at work thinking hey what a great place to get pissed!

i'm an ex heroin addict. i'm fifty years old and have never been a jibbering homeless wreck. i never knew any who were. but the streets are full of all kinds of failures and victims.
    i am fitter and healthier than old freinds my age who worked and drank and avoided drugs. in fact ...i have a yearly medical and year on year ...i have perfect blood pressure, perfect pulse, no cloggy arteries. am physicaly big and physicaly very strong ...powerful. i have children and grand children all thriving.

this year will be my 36th year of smoking cannabis for pleasure.
    there are millions just like me ...why do you think the millions like me have escaped the insanity and doom and desperation that so many of you believe to be inevitable?
  • Options
    ladymuck ...you have lossed any credability saying alcohol is not mind altering! why the fuck do you think it sp popular?
    ahhh ...i think i understand ...you believe mind altering to mean ...it alters your mind forever and not just saturday night!
    like i said ...credability on this topic ...a big fat ...nil!
  • Options
    Ecstasy on the other hand brings the very best in people and makes everyone happy, content and good to others.
    I'm sure the parents of Leah Betts are really happy. How can a hard drug bring out the best in people? How can people be content taking it? People get addicted to drugs, and then aren't content unless they have more and more of the drug, and will go to extreme lengths to get it.
    The state do have a right to control people to a degree; you can't just do what you want, there would be anarchy.