Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carrying on racial debate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok in the other thread we have been told to move the debate to a new thread.
So lets carry the debate on here.
Ive linked the last couple of pages to here.

here

Comments

• Options
    Very well. :)

Immigration = good.

People who dislike immigrants = not very nice.

Next!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

So I may dislike you and I also may dislike an immigrant, so that makes me racial ? or anyone else for that matter.

I personally feel this whole racial thing is getting blown out of proportion, you cant say 'this' because someone sees it as racial and you cant say 'that' for the same reason.

If people want to live in this country then fine, but at least dont accuse people of being racial for things like I posted in the last thread. If you want to live here at least have the manners and decency to learn the language.
    How i see it is that there are good and bad in everyone, regardless of colour or race. But just because i dont like one person from Pakistan that dont make me racist and i should not be afraid to say that, but in this country now i can say nothing bad about a person if they are an immigrant because i get accused of being racial.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So I may dislike you and I also may dislike an immigrant, so that makes me racial ?

He didn't say that. He just said that he didn't think that people who dislike immigration were very nice.
    But just because i dont like one person from Pakistan that dont make me racist

If you are talking about not liking one person then fine, but if you base your opinion of a whole race on that...
  • Options
    Where did I say that if you dislike one (or more than one) immigrant you are racial/racist?

I said immigrants as a group. I.e., people who rant and rave about non-British, non-white people coming to live in this country because they are not British and not white are not very nice. And I stand by that.

Of course one can dislike an immigrant (or many of them) once you get to know them personally. We're all equal and the same, and there are unpleasant and bad people amongst all of us.

But as far as I am concerned there is something fundamentally wrong about some people's obsession with protecting "purity". We're all immigrants. All of us. And unless the country's services and infrastructure are being seriously damaged by excessive numbers of immigrants (and despite the protestations of the right wing press, we're nowhere near that) I cannot help it but think that there are some really nasty and evil motives for some people's obsession with a few people who are of different culture and colour of skin coming to live in this country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    If you are talking about not liking one person then fine, but if you base your opinion of a whole race on that...

Exactly. People who extrapolate the actions of a minority of people to tar a whole group with the same brush, are very hard of thinking...
  • Options
    Don't like immigrants. Unless they can bring a skill over here that will help people in one way or another then fine. Just don't be going to DHSS and claiming benefits and other things and then just sit there on your arse pushing drugs and prostitutes like most Kosavans and Albanians do.
    I personally feel this whole racial thing is getting blown out of proportion, you cant say 'this' because someone sees it as racial and you cant say 'that' for the same reason.

Very true Becky. I'll be 100% honest and tell you all that I don't really find black females that attractive.. does that make me a racist? I was reading something else that some dude on here don't think that the gay marriage was right, etc, and he was called a homophobic.. Bit silly huh?

If you want to live here at least have the manners and decency to learn the language.

Yup, if I lived in Spain or France I wouldn't expect people to talk English to me just because I was English. If you live in a certain area where people are all from one country and speak the same then sure, speak your native language to them but if you out and about have some common courtesy to speak in their native language to them and not your own. A little effort goes a long way in my book.
  • Options
    "pushing drugs and prostitutes like most Kosavans and Albanians do."

That is really racist to say that Kosavans and Albanians just push drugs and prostitutes. Do you actually know any personally, cos I do, and the majority of them work their asses off in crap jobs for minimum wage.
    SOME English people do the same, selling drugs etc.

"If you live in a certain area where people are all from one country and speak the same then sure, speak your native language to them but if you out and about have some common courtesy to speak in their native language to them and not your own"

I have never experienced a foreigner approaching me and talking in any language other than English. So not sure what your point is there...
  • Options
    Very well. :)

Immigration = good.

Next!

Immigration = good

Illegal immigration = bad

People who dislike all immigrants = idiots

People who dislike illegal immigration = rightly concerned
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    just sit there on your arse pushing drugs and prostitutes like most Kosavans and Albanians do.

Did you read my post above? You must be a bit hard of thinking...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    There is no legal way of entering the country. There is no system of applying for asylum from your own country and then coming here when accepted. The only way to apply for asylum is to somehow enter the country illegally and they apply once you are on British soil. So any asylum seekers, genuine or otherwise, start off by coming to Britain illegally.

Maybe the government could go some way to change this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    There is no legal way of entering the country. There is no system of applying for asylum from your own country and then coming here when accepted. The only way to apply for asylum is to somehow enter the country illegally and they apply once you are on British soil. So any asylum seekers, genuine or otherwise, start off by coming to Britain illegally.

Maybe the government could go some way to change this.

I didnt actually mention asylum seekers but I agree with you. We should allow people to apply for asylum via our embassies abroad.

There are definately legal ways of entering the country, just not for asylum seekers....Immigrants covers a larger group of people than simply asylum seekers.
  • Options
    Don't like immigrants. Unless they can bring a skill over here that will help people in one way or another then fine. Just don't be going to DHSS and claiming benefits and other things and then just sit there on your arse pushing drugs and prostitutes like most Kosavans and Albanians do.

Whereas current UK citizens are all skilled, don't claim benefits, don't push drugs and aren't prostitues...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    That is really racist to say that Kosavans and Albanians just push drugs and prostitutes.

:lol:, how is that racist? It's a fact honey, well according to Interpol :rolleyes:. Spose it's also racist to say that most Vietnamese are the chief drug pushers in Australia? If I was black or what ever and I said most black people are drug pushers would you call me racist? I don't think you would.
    Did you read my post above? You must be a bit hard of thinking...

Just stating a fact sunshine.
    Whereas current UK citizens are all skilled, don't claim benefits, don't push drugs and aren't prostitues...

But they didn't come over here claiming did they? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    :lol:, how is that racist? It's a fact honey, well according to Interpol :rolleyes:.

While its a fact that some Albanians and Kosovans are involved in drugs and prostution, to extrapolate from that they they all are is stupid.
  • Options
    And not to mention all the Kosovans, for instance, who clearly chose to leave their country where they were earning a few thousand dollars a year as doctors or engineers, to come to Britain and get the grand amount of £34.56 per week in benefits.

I mean, anyone would want to leave their country, come to Britain and live off the state with such grandiose benefits as £34.56 per week. So much better than earning 4 times as much in your own country as a doctor.
  • Options
    Thats basicaly what the government is trying to put into place, the problem with that is if you accept that they need to escape, then if you set up a holding station, or clearing center or whatever you want to call it in the country you'd have virtually all the people there flooding the doors.

Applying at the Embassy is another idea, one in fact I think the Americans already do, however again there is a problem with this. Say for example you are escaping from political persecution in, errm North Korea because you are a pro-democratic demomstrator. Do you think that it would be wise to wander up to the embassy and ask? Quite probably not because the local police would be waiting for you outside.

Theres also the issue that we dont have embassies in a few countries, do we have one in North Korea for example?

We could try the island idea the concervatives are putting forward, but then its total rubbish because they have no idea where this island is.
  • Options
    While its a fact that some Albanians and Kosovans are involved in drugs and prostitution

Come off it, some? It was (not sure now) that 60/70% of these people that reside in the UK had some sort of involvement in the KLA(?). I'd say that's a little more than some. It is estimated that Kosovan/Albanian gangs now control 90 per cent of the Western trade in heroin....

Fair enough if they have problems in their homelands but don't come over here and clam off the DHSS and have a nice cushty life on that.. that's all I'm saying. They should AT least try and put something into our community that will help others, even if it is working on a market stool in the Eastend.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Applying at the Embassy is another idea, one in fact I think the Americans already do, however again there is a problem with this. Say for example you are escaping from political persecution in, errm North Korea because you are a pro-democratic demomstrator. Do you think that it would be wise to wander up to the embassy and ask? Quite probably not because the local police would be waiting for you outside.

Theres also the issue that we dont have embassies in a few countries, do we have one in North Korea for example?

We could try the island idea the concervatives are putting forward, but then its total rubbish because they have no idea where this island is.

Thats a good point...but you wouldnt have to go to the embassy in your own country, simply the closest safe one...They are going to escape their own country anyway so it wont be any more difficult getting to a British embassy as soon as they are out. Although things would get a bit awkward if it was more than a few people at once as embassies wouldnt have the space to house many people.
  • Options
    Theres also the issue of informing these people, how do you tell all the 'huddled masses yerning to be free' that they need to go to a British embassy if they want to get immigration status?

Maybe the UN could be involved? Taking people from war zones and such and then allocating them to different countries? But then I'm sure some of the press in this country would love that.

"UN Forces criminal human tide on our shores!"
  • Options
    Fair enough if they have problems in their homelands but don't come over here and clam off the DHSS and have a nice cushty life on that
    So you acknowledge that they have problems in their homelands (problems that in many cases mean If I stay = me and my family are killed)? So presumably you understand why they leave their countries and come here. But yet complain that they claim off the DHSS.

What would you have them do? Not to claim and then die of hunger? Or revert to crime to subsist? They are not allowed to have jobs. Perhaps if they were they would not have to claim benefits.

As for the "nice and cushy life"... have you tried to live nice and cushy on £36.54 a week?
  • Options
    Where did I say that if you dislike one (or more than one) immigrant you are racial/racist?

Sorry, you didnt. I just made a balls up of what I was trying to say, I knew what i meant lol.
    What I was trying to say is that just because you may not like someone because they are of another race may make you the target of being racist. People assume that because you dont like someone its because of their race, when in reality its just because you dont like them.
  • Options
    Come off it, some? It was (not sure now) that 60/70% of these people that reside in the UK had some sort of involvement in the KLA(?). I'd say that's a little more than some. It is estimated that Kosovan/Albanian gangs now control 90 per cent of the Western trade in heroin....

Source?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Sorry, you didnt. I just made a balls up of what I was trying to say, I knew what i meant lol.
    What I was trying to say is that just because you may not like someone because they are of another race may make you the target of being racist. People assume that because you dont like someone its because of their race, when in reality its just because you dont like them.

If you don't like someone thats fair enough. Theres plenty of people of all races that I've disliked in my time.
    But no one has been calling anyone racist on here for that reason.
    As I seem to have to repeat millions of times to get the mesage across - blaming an entire social group for the actions of a tiny minority is stupid and seems to be the basis of the racist attitudes on these boards.
  • Options
    Thanks for getting another thread closed, people just cant listen can they :rolleyes:
  • Options
    But no one has been calling anyone racist on here for that reason.

I never said they had, I mean anywhere.
    If I was on a night out and I seen an Asian and just did not like him because he acted like a pratt and I made my feelings known then I would be classed as racial. The Asian would not see that the reason I did not like him was that he was genuinely being a pratt and he would probably start thinking 'racial'. Its so easy to be accuused of being racial and theres nothing we can do to stop it.
  • Options
    ^
    I don't know anyone who would call anyone racist for that reason. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    ^

I do, have seen someone be accused of being a 'racist' tosser because of this exact reason. It does happen and the person in question was not racist they just thought the guy was a pratt.
  • Options
    fairynuff, I've just never come across it
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    ^

I do. For some people a cry of racism is an attempt to avoid resposibilities.

Sadly that kind of attitude brings into question the real racist issues.
  • Options
    But they didn't come over here claiming did they? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nope, some assume it as a birthright.

But basically what you are saying is that it is okay for UK citizens to "sit on their assess" and claim benefits - when we have poverty levels measured against 60% of average income - but not for immigrants who have poverty levels measure against when they will next eat...

Who is more deserving of our support? And why?