Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carrying on racial debate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Certainly, if people see what they feel is too much effort made to avoid any reference to colour what so ever then they can resent it. They can feel that the effort insted of making the two side equal favors those of minorities.
  • Options
    Firstly i am glad you opened this post becky, why the other was closed down seems bizarre, apparently because the mods were bored...:confused: (what this has got to do with it i don't know)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    just sit there on your arse pushing drugs and prostitutes like most Kosavans and Albanians do.

:lol: Where the fuck do these comedians come from, will you be releasing a video for Christmas, giant no.1, Paul 2 and solo will buy copies i am sure!

:lol:
  • Options
    We werent really talking about the topics that where in the title, and it was getting too personal.

One of my comments was cut, but I do want to know where the phrase 'huddled massess yerning for freedom' is from, it is the Statue of Liberty isnt it?
  • Options
    Not sure.

I think however that the USA is an excellent case study when considering the effects of immigration.

Some people have claimed that multicultiralism doesn't work, it will lead to disaster etc.

However just about everyone in the US is a comparatively recent immigrant, last few centuries and that country is now the richest and most powerful nation the world has ever seen, entirely based on modern immigration.

people should keep that in mind when thinking about this issue, particularly as many of those who abhor the immigrants also admire and respect the US, strange!
  • Options
    Although within the UK, there is still quite a bit of segregation, not forced obviously but through economic factors.

Actualy there are one group of people who could really complain about immigration, the Native Americans. Every time they do a survey the poorest areas of the US are never the urban gettos, they are always the reservations where the Native Americans live.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Although within the UK, there is still quite a bit of segregation, not forced obviously but through economic factors.

In what way do you think segregation is economiccally induced?

i always thought it was cultural, if you move to the Uk for the first time you will want to live with people the most like you, only natural..........
  • Options
    I was thinking of the US, in reference to your comments about immigration there. Yes they have had lots of immigrants and yes they are very rich and powerful. But they arent always that well intigrated.

The areas where the poor live are in the main more likely to be mainly black or hispanic and the opposite with the white areas.

I do totaly aggree with your comment about wanting to move to an area with people like you if you are traveling all that way. But if after years and generations the minorities are more likely to be poor than the whites something is perhaps wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The areas where the poor live are in the main more likely to be mainly black or hispanic and the opposite with the white areas.

Hmmm, why is this do you think? Bearing in mind the large number of Irish and Italian immigrants who have moved to the US. Why do you think that we have this view that it is blakc and hispanic areas which have the higher poverty levels?
  • Options
    Yes I see what you mean, i think the poor areas are still a product of the segregation and discrimination from a few decades ago, there hasn't been time for it to even out yet.

I think there may be a period for any large no. of a new ethnic group where they collect in poorer areas but that in the LR social mobility and a chnage in general attitude will allow a wider diffusion.

For example i grew up in a reasonable well off suburb where 30/40 years ago the population probably did not reflect anything like the ethnic diversity in Leicester. Whilst I was at school however there were lots of Asian children, much more reflective of the population of Leicester generally which i think shows how mobility allows diffusion of new populations.

Also i think there is a religious aspect eg Muslims are more likely to live together as there communtites are still strongly based around the Mosque........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    :lol: Where the fuck do these comedians come from, will you be releasing a video for Christmas, giant no.1, Paul 2 and solo will buy copies i am sure!

:lol:

:chin:

yeh.... comedians.... ofcourse.

Just shows how much you actually take in of the situation around you. The Albanian Mafia has become one of the most powerful in London. They do deal drugs and prostitutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2509811.stm
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,643837,00.html

Copy and paste at will liberals. And I'm looking forward to seeing your video depicting your pathetic fantasy land... isn't going to happen
  • Options
    "Why do you think that we have this view that it is blakc and hispanic areas which have the higher poverty levels?"

As far as I know, because in the main its true, it certainly is around LA, Chicago, Detroit (especialy), Portland, Washington and to some extent NY.

As for the factors of why, blimey, theres loads, I suspect this sort of thing breeds itself. You grow up in a poor area, you see lots of people out of work, you feel like theres nothing for you so you dont try at school, get bad results and then you cant get anything either, and so on.
    Then theres the issue with black males the western world over of parenthood, the lack of father figures etc.
  • Options
    What about media representation?

Do you think that has influenced our views. You cannot tell me that large parts of New York (for example) aren't mainly Italian and yet also poverty ridden...
  • Options
    MOK; Yes I understand that I am somewhat simplifying the issue, its not a black area/ white area issue. But if minorities (whatever colour) are far more likely to be part of the under class then that says something for a country which prides itself on being immigrant friendly. Although saying that, this stance has changed a lot since 11/9.
  • Options
    Nobody ever said there were no Albanians or Eastern Europeans involved in drugs or crime gangs. Everyone has heard of yardies, but does that mean every Jamaican is into drugs and violence? :rolleyes:

Talk about generalising.

oh, and what about the triads, don't think the people who own my local Chinese take away have anything to do with that.
  • Options
    Giantno1; First of all, ANYTHING that happens thats illegal in Italy is not controled by any albanians. Ultimate control rests with the groups that have had a hold over Italy for a long while.

But thats really an aside. Its not an issue of whether or not SOME albanians are involved in crime, they are, same as SOME of every race and colour are. The Japanese for example have a reputation for being a very law-abiding country. But part of the reason for their economic situation is the massive bad debts run up by criminal groups there.

You can not make judgements on a whole race/group of people by the actions of some of them.
  • Options
    Not sure.

I think however that the USA is an excellent case study when considering the effects of immigration.

Some people have claimed that multicultiralism doesn't work, it will lead to disaster etc.

However just about everyone in the US is a comparatively recent immigrant, last few centuries and that country is now the richest and most powerful nation the world has ever seen, entirely based on modern immigration.

people should keep that in mind when thinking about this issue, particularly as many of those who abhor the immigrants also admire and respect the US, strange!

I dont think the US is a very good example at all im afraid. Personally I think the UK is a far better model.

The US was formed by white european immigrants and it stayed purely white until very recently. The blacks that 'emmigrated' there have pretty much only recently been recognised as Americans. There is still an enormous race problem over there, way beyond any problems we may have here.

Of course much of Americas success is based upon the workforce that they imported themselves..but i doubt that was what you meant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Hmmm, why is this do you think? Bearing in mind the large number of Irish and Italian immigrants who have moved to the US. Why do you think that we have this view that it is blakc and hispanic areas which have the higher poverty levels?

Irish and Italian and Chinese immigrants have had much longer to establish themselves as part of the US citizenship. Blacks have only recently been given any kind of status above that of an animal and hispanic immigration on a large scale is also a recent thing.

The blacks and hispanics will work themselves out of the ghettos in due course. They are just going through what all immigrants to the US have gone through. It will continue with the next batch of immigrants, whoever they may be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    I dont think the US is a very good example at all im afraid. Personally I think the UK is a far better model.

The US was formed by white european immigrants

Exactly, immigrants, and that country is now the richest and the most pwerful in the world.

Yes there is still a lot of trouble but from what I can tell then non-whites are now fairly well accepted in US society, though I may be getting the wrong interpretation.
  • Options
    Exactly, immigrants, and that country is now the richest and the most pwerful in the world.

Yes there is still a lot of trouble but from what I can tell then non-whites are now fairly well accepted in US society, though I may be getting the wrong interpretation.

I dont think the people who are strongly anti immigration have much of a problem with the white immigrants :(

Well accepted on the surface from what I can tell...There always seems to me to be an underlying racial feeling to pretty much everything over there..Maybe im talking out of my arse, its just an impression I get from talking to many Americans online..It could well be entirely different in real life.
  • Options
    I dont think the people who are strongly anti immigration have much of a problem with the white immigrants :(

Indeed.

but that is exactly what white Americans are, the comparatively recent ancestors of immigrants.

If we assume that there is no real difference in immigrants of differnt skin colours then the US example holds.........
  • Options
    Indeed.

but that is exactly what white Americans are, the comparatively recent ancestors of immigrants.

If we assume that there is no real difference in immigrants of differnt skin colours then the US example holds.........

but there is a difference in immigrants of different skin colours..blacks were oppressed for hundreds of years and had no input on the route the growth of the US took..Even today, black Americans dont have much of a say in things because of the poverty issues.

but i spose youre right..The US is the most powerful nation now and it does have a very multicultural society at the moment.
  • Options
    Irish and Italian and Chinese immigrants have had much longer to establish themselves as part of the US citizenship. Blacks have only recently been given any kind of status above that of an animal and hispanic immigration on a large scale is also a recent thing.

The blacks and hispanics will work themselves out of the ghettos in due course. They are just going through what all immigrants to the US have gone through. It will continue with the next batch of immigrants, whoever they may be...

and

...The US was formed by white european immigrants and it stayed purely white until very recently. The blacks that 'emmigrated' there have pretty much only recently been recognised as Americans. There is still an enormous race problem over there, way beyond any problems we may have here.

Would you say, therefore, that a large part of their race problem is due to the "slave" nature of "immigration", and the segregation which was still in place up until the 60s/70s...?

Could this also be part of our problem, in that we still see ourselves as "superior" because we became a "developed" nation on the back of our oppression of other nations?

BTW The US may be hugely mutli-cultural, but the most diverse city in the world is London...
  • Options

BTW The US may be hugely mutli-cultural, but the most diverse city in the world is London...

I thought that the US was going to be a white minority nation within the next 3 decades? i had not heard the same about London although I had heard that Leicester was set to become the first white minority city in Britain?
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1
    :chin:

yeh.... comedians.... ofcourse.

Just shows how much you actually take in of the situation around you. The Albanian Mafia has become one of the most powerful in London. They do deal drugs and prostitutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2509811.stm
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,643837,00.html

Copy and paste at will liberals. And I'm looking forward to seeing your video depicting your pathetic fantasy land... isn't going to happen

Really, your logical faculties are fucked. Yes there is organised crime originating from these countries. Just as there is originating from the East end of London or from Sicily etc.
    THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT ALL THE PEOPLE FROM THESE AREAS ARE GANGSTERS

or is that too complicated a concept for you?
  • Options
    I thought that the US was going to be a white minority nation within the next 3 decades? i had not heard the same about London although I had heard that Leicester was set to become the first white minority city in Britain?

Dude, diverse doesn't mean white/non white - there is diversity within the caucasian population too.

Racist :p

In fact, I think that the census team need to recognise that too...
  • Options
    Would you say, therefore, that a large part of their race problem is due to the "slave" nature of "immigration", and the segregation which was still in place up until the 60s/70s...?

Could this also be part of our problem, in that we still see ourselves as "superior" because we became a "developed" nation on the back of our oppression of other nations?

Im not sure to be honest...Although im sure that a couple of hundreds years of white superiority in the US has had a major effect upon the US race relations. I suspect it also has a lot to do with poverty and crime, both associated heavily with non whites in the US. This being a result of the poverty common amongst those communities as recent citizens.

As for us...I really dont know...I dont think so in the main part, although im sure there will be some still tied up with the romantic ideas of empire.
  • Options

Hate to piss on your parade, but what actually happened to the indigenous population of the USA?

Oh yeah, theyre all in ghettos drinking themselves to an early death.
  • Options
    Yes but I think that it is clearly because the power balance was tilted so that the immigrants eneded uyp running the show, can't say the same for any modern nations........
  • Options
    I dont have a problem with skin colour, I have a problem with conflicting culture. Modern Muslim culture is violent and anti-Western, and African culture is violent and loud. These are not generalisations. Arabs and Africans that come here and fully assimilate into British society learn our culture and traditions and do not conflict with the British people. These are the type of immigrants that I want to see migrating to the UK and the type that you liberals referr to when you say that 'not all immigrants are abusing the system'.

The problem is that not all immigrants want to assimilate in this way. They come here so that they can traffic drugs, prostitues and live a better life, and not because their countries are oppressing them. I am not saying that all immigrants abuse the system, but the ones that do have to be stopped. Unfortunately this cannot happen until you liberals stop loving all immigrants no matter what their background, history or intentions.