Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Carrying on racial debate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You really have a problem with me don't you? I'm not being cocky,
    You were being cocky with your reply which was:
    Nil,Nada,None,Zero to me thats being cocky.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    But again Becky, rather the foreign doctor giving the training than no doctor at all?

We need to make people want to get into the profession, we need to make them want to work within the N.H.S. we shouldnt have to bring Doctors and Nurses from other countries, we have staff here if only the working conditions were better.

Of course Id want any doctor to see me when im ill in a hospital, id be a liar if i said otherwise, but please let us have dotors we can understand. im not saying all doctors are hard to understand but Ive seen a few in my time. Maybe its the North East who has more doctors from abroad, i dont know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    You were being cocky with your reply which was:
    Nil,Nada,None,Zero to me thats being cocky.

Its just my way.
  • Options
    im not saying all doctors are hard to understand but Ive seen a few in my time. Maybe its the North East who has more doctors from abroad, i dont know.

Personally I find the British north east accent hard to understand...
  • Options
    Personally I find the British north east accent hard to understand...

It may be hard to understand but if you went to a hospital and spoke to a doctor who originated from the North East and you told him you had creosote in your eye then he would know what creosote is and would treat you accordingly.
  • Options
    hybrid have you reads the rest of the thread? Did you read the last thread on this issue?

Whilst it is true that some immigrants do not provide to the economy, most do and those that don't are likely to in the future, or their children will etc etc.........

so what you think we should just let any tom,dick or harishkavnov into the country because their children might provide a service? thats like saying you shouldnt have an abortion cuz ur child might grow up to be the next mozart.......and yes i have read the majority of threads. just cuz i dont necessarily agree with you doesnt mean i cant read
  • Options
    We need to make people want to get into the profession, we need to make them want to work within the N.H.S. we shouldnt have to bring Doctors and Nurses from other countries, we have staff here if only the working conditions were better.

But then we would lose people from other jobs, the labour market works OK, the fact is we need foreign people to work. What you suggest implies higher costs, more tax, is this a good thing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    so what you think we should just let any tom,dick or harishkavnov into the country because their children might provide a service? thats like saying you shouldnt have an abortion cuz ur child might grow up to be the next mozart.......and yes i have read the majority of threads. just cuz i dont necessarily agree with you doesnt mean i cant read

Didn't suggest you couldn't read, just that you join the debate rather late so i was wondering if you had seen the earlier stages of the debate.........

I do not think that immigration is comparable to abortion in anyway.......

Do you really think that allowing someone born on a different area of rock and dirt to come and live on this bit of rock and dirt is comparable to a woman having an abortion and the pain that involves?

And actually from an economic perspecive there is good reason to have completely uncontrolled labour markets.

it remains a source of wonder that so many who preach the free-market are so avowed in their belief of controlling the international labour market, very strange........
  • Options
    It may be hard to understand but if you went to a hospital and spoke to a doctor who originated from the North East and you told him you had creosote in your eye then he would know what creosote is and would treat you accordingly.

Did you make a complaint?

When was this anyway? Creosote's been banned recently.
  • Options
    Banned?

But it smells nice! :(
  • Options
    Didn't suggest you couldn't read, just that you join the debate rather late so i was wondering if you had seen the earlier stages of the debate.........

I do not think that immigration is comparable to abortion in anyway.......

Do you really think that allowing someone born on a different area of rock and dirt to come and live on this bit of rock and dirt is comparable to a woman having an abortion and the pain that involves?

And actually from an economic perspecive there is good reason to have completely uncontrolled labour markets.

it remains a source of wonder that so many who preach the free-market are so avowed in their belief of controlling the international labour market, very strange........

im not saying that the pain etc is the same, im saying we cant just let things/not let things happen on the pretenses of 'what if they grew up to be etc etc' understand? did u honestly believe i think abortion is comparable to a bunch of foreigners sneaking in through the channel tunnel?

i have no problem with people who come here looking for a job, no matter where their from. i have no problem being treated by a foreign doctor for example.

i have a problem with the ones who sneak in, forge documents, claim benefits and abuse the british system. there are enough british people who do that already, we dont need any more!
  • Options
    i have a problem with the ones who sneak in, forge documents, claim benefits and abuse the british system. there are enough british people who do that already, we dont need any more!

This really doesn't happen as much as the Daily Mail would have you believe.
  • Options

appears to happen more than it used to though, plus even if its not as much as the 'daily mail' would have us believe it still happens and therefore it should be stopped
  • Options
    No i didn't think you meant it; just checking.........

people 'sneaking in' and people looking for a job are not mutually exclusive.

The people that come here illegally are looking for work and are often very useful to certain industries, what then?

Perhaps it is this vaunted 'British system' that is worng and not the immigrants?
  • Options
    appears to happen more than it used to though, plus even if its not as much as the 'daily mail' would have us believe it still happens and therefore it should be stopped

Yes it happens, but people here illegally do not claim benefits...they usually end up working in the catering industry.
  • Options
    No i didn't think you meant it; just checking.........

people 'sneaking in' and people looking for a job are not mutually exclusive.

The people that come here illegally are looking for work and are often very useful to certain industries, what then?

Perhaps it is this vaunted 'British system' that is worng and not the immigrants?

useful to certain industries....like? maybe their just coming here because they know that the british system is easy to abuse?

if the british system was wrong, then wouldnt immigrants not be coming here? or even further to the point, wouldnt the british be protesting (seeing as we have free speech and what not)? i dont see how the immigrants are the 'goodies' in this...?
  • Options
    Yes it happens, but people here illegally do not claim benefits...they usually end up working in the catering industry.

or forge documents to then claim benefits...not just the dole, but houses etc
  • Options
    or forge documents to then claim benefits...not just the dole, but houses etc

Quite difficult to do, seeing as benefits agencies need to see a passport before you can claim. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but its not as much of a problem as the tabloids make out. And unfortunately all asylum seekers get tarred with the same brush...
  • Options

And how would you know? i've read Anthony Browne in the Times articles, he's interviewed immigration officers and the feeling there is of a deluge of asylum claimants with well-rehearsed stories manifestly bogus.Maybe that's why HM Govt. is contemplating imprisonement for destrying documents in transit.

UK is a target, I don't feel honoured, they must know they're in UK as everyone has 'mug' stamped on their forehead.
  • Options
    useful to certain industries....like?

The catering and hospitality industries in London would collapse without illegal labour.
  • Options
    Quite difficult to do, seeing as benefits agencies need to see a passport before you can claim. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but its not as much of a problem as the tabloids make out. And unfortunately all asylum seekers get tarred with the same brush...

why is that 'unfortunate'? im not saying that it isnt i just want to understand why you think it is.

true asylum seekers firstly go to the first free country that accepts them, and secondly, they attempt to fit into britain and get jobs etc and therefore would not be claiming benefits. i know a girl who's family came from bosnia in the early 90's. she came legally and now her family own a business etc. i have no problem with them, they made efforts to intergrate and never claimed anything off our system.
  • Options
    Originally posted by solo
    And how would you know?

I work in partnership with Jobcentre Plus. Friends of mine work with asylum seekers. The Daily Mail/Sun etc lie about asylum all the time. For example
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/presspublishing/story/0,7495,1104108,00.html
    The PCC is currently investigating a complaint by a Somalian over a front-page story which appeared in the Daily Star in August headlined "Asylum seekers eat our donkeys".

A police source was quoted by the Star, alleging that immigrants were responsible for the theft of nine donkeys from Greenwich royal park - and may have killed and eaten the animals.

The article claimed donkey meat is a delicacy in Somalia. However the meat is in fact forbidden by the country's Islamic law.

Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    The catering and hospitality industries in London would collapse without illegal labour.

are we supposed to be glad that there are people working illegally?
  • Options
    why is that 'unfortunate'? im not saying that it isnt i just want to understand why you think it is.

Because it feeds racist bigotted attitudes.
  • Options
    are we supposed to be glad that there are people working illegally?

I'm not commenting on the rights and wrongs. Just stating the facts. Our economy needs illegal workers.
  • Options
    Because it feeds racist bigotted attitudes.

so because i dont like illegal immigrants and asylum seekers its making me a racist biggot?

btw 'asylum seeker' isnt a race.....so not liking them doesnt make ne 1 racist, just prejudice
  • Options
    I'm not commenting on the rights and wrongs. Just stating the facts. Our economy needs illegal workers.

maybe the government should give the jobs to the british unemployed first?
  • Options
    so because i dont like illegal immigrants and asylum seekers its making me a racist biggot?

Did I say that?
    btw 'asylum seeker' isnt a race.....so not liking them doesnt make ne 1 racist, just prejudice

But if you look at the way media stories are slanted in the tabloids and the way most people put over their pov disapproving of asylum seekers, there is a definite racist undercurrent. Why do you think this thread is called "Carrying on racial debate"? People never seem to complain about white European immigrants...
  • Options
    maybe the government should give the jobs to the british unemployed first?

Thats not how these things work, you're naive to think otherwise. The reason why the catering and hospitality industries use a lot of illegal labour is because they can get away with very low pay, long hours and appalling working conditions and the workers have to put up with it.
  • Options
    Did I say that?

But if you look at the way media stories are slanted in the tabloids and the way most people put over their pov disapproving of asylum seekers, there is a definite racist undercurrent. Why do you think this thread is called "Carrying on racial debate"? People never seem to complain about white European immigrants...

im complaining about the white eastern european ones! there the ones that are my problem! and i was asking you, (sorry not telling you) if i would be 'racist' in your opinion because i state that i don't like asylum seekers?