Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carrying on racial debate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    in fact we're eighth in the asylum seekers European league

in fact we're 1st

You exaggerate more than the Sun + D. Mail who are capable of conveying the truth(when it suits them)
  • Options
    Read this http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/news/myths/myth001.htm
    No. 1? Even within the EU, the UK ranked 10th in terms of asylum applications in relation to the overall population in 2001. The truth about refugee movements is the world's poorest countries both produce and bear responsibility for most refugees. During 1992-2001, 86 per cent of the world's estimated 12 million refugees originated from developing countries, whilst such countries provided asylum to 72 per cent of the global population (source: UNHCR). If you consider global refugee and asylum seeking populations in relation to the host country's size, population and wealth, the UK ranks 32nd. Taking the greatest burden are Iran, Burundi and Guinea.

A recent MORI poll demonstrates the impact of such misinformation, showing that people vastly overestimate the numbers of asylum seekers and refugees in the UK - on average people think that 23% of the world's refugees and asylum seekers are in the UK, more than 10 time greater than the reality, which is actually less than 2%.

The idea that Britain or indeed any other European country is a 'soft touch' is simply not true. As European countries from Denmark and Holland to Switzerland introduce increasingly tougher immigration controls, it is extremely difficult to gain entry to Europe at all. If we compare the numbers of asylum seekers granted protection in the UK with those in Canada, the UK emerges as far from being a 'soft touch'. In 2001, Canada granted protection to 97% of Afghan asylum applicants, where the UK granted only 19%. Somali applicants had a 92% success rate in Canada, where in the UK it was only 34%. 85% of Colombian applicants in Canada were granted protection, against a mere 3% in the UK.
  • Options
    in relation to the overall population in 2001.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As i said, in EU, in fact we're 1st

Refugee Council = taxpayer funded quango of self-serving clowns pushing selective agenda. Ignore

As to what the rest of the world does, i couldn't give a flying one, it's UK's 'soft touch' statuus that has this motley crew in Calais, Roma Gypsies, HIV+ Africans? Canada can have them
  • Options
    I knew that would be your response. You've made up your mind and no one will tell you any different eh? Not even the people who have the actual figures.

What do you base your assertion on then? The Daily fucking Mail? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If memory serves we might be no. 1 in absolute numbers, but we are 8th in the number of asylum seekers per 1000 population. And it's the latter that counts.

10,000 asylum seekers going to Luxembourg would have a greater impact than 100,000 asylum seekers going to Britain. The absolute number no. 1 position is next to meaningless.

Only those who have an anti-immigration agenda to push like to quote this not very significant statistic as a back up.
  • Options
    The Daily fucking Mail?

The Left can't stand the Mail , it's a publishing sucess and performs a useful role in putting issues in the public eye that the po-faced broadsheets have no stomach for.

I bet a lot of the hatred is that a lot of young Left are m/c and it's their parents paper- how can you read that fash rag mummy?

Ignore it
  • Options
    Nicely ignored there. :rolleyes:

Back up your claims.

P.S.

wrong on all 3 assumptions about me.
  • Options
    Going back to a question I asked a couple of pages back, which I am curious about.

Have either of you (solo and giantno1) written to your MP regarding what you see as the immigration problem?

And as I recall, the Mail isnt actually the success that it would make out, hasnt it lost market share over the last few years?
  • Options
    It also has a long history of supporting fascism.
  • Options
    Im curious as to why people think british people have the right to the jobs before anyone else...

If british people arent willing to make themselves competitive, the jobs should go to those who are..

We did massive damage to the world by trying to force our way into foreign markets, into foreign job sectors..Now the situation is reversed, with immigrants coming here to work, we are all up in arms about it..waaahhhhhh the britons should have the jobs..waahhhh all the companies are moving to india..

We made this bed, we lie in it.
  • Options
    Actually at the moment its Bush and Blair who "lie" in it" ;)
  • Options
    Oh God...
    *sigh*
  • Options
    No, supposedly God can't lie. ;)
  • Options
    UK Asylum numbers top in EU

Significant in that large numbers are by-passing EU to get to UK. Sangatte may have closed but still they come.

NuLab wants all this but has to play the Asylum ogre to appease taxpayers , all of course Daily Mai readersl
    Have either of you (solo and giantno1) written to your MP regarding what you see as the immigration problem?

Yes, I've written to that blairite waste of political space
  • Options
    Yes, I've written to that blairite waste of political space

Bahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Im curious as to why people think british people have the right to the jobs before anyone else...

If british people arent willing to make themselves competitive, the jobs should go to those who are..

We did massive damage to the world by trying to force our way into foreign markets, into foreign job sectors..Now the situation is reversed, with immigrants coming here to work, we are all up in arms about it..waaahhhhhh the britons should have the jobs..waahhhh all the companies are moving to india..

We made this bed, we lie in it.

Considering there are so many Brits too damn lazy to get a job anyway... I mean a lot of doley people who won't get off their arse (yeah there are acceptions, areas scarce with jobs ect) or who're like "nuuu, I don't want this job, it isn't my perfect career" in my opinion are a bigger drain and waste of space. A job is a job at the end of the day.

Or maybe British people feel threatened?
  • Options
    Originally posted by solo
    UK Asylum numbers top in EU

Significant in that large numbers are by-passing EU to get to UK. Sangatte may have closed but still they come.

From that link:
    As a proportion of population, Home office figures show the UK received 1.8 applications for every 1,000 residents. This was less than half the highest application rates seen in Sweden, Norway and Austria.

How many times do we have to go through this? That Britain receives the highest number is not relevant when it comes to asserting the impact they'll have. What counts is the proportion of asylum seekers arriving to the indigenous population.

And on that we were 8th in the EU the last time I looked.
  • Options
    How many times do we have to go through this? That Britain receives the highest number is not relevant when it comes to asserting the impact they'll have

You can parrot your stat for ever.

Impact on a state is not usefully measured by bean-counting

Australia has a small population, it does not allow it's asylum seekers to Impact on it's affairs as it sticks them in campswithin its large landmass. The impact for every 1,000 residents in Oz is quite different to that in UK where so-called asylum seekers help themselves to all and physically inhabit the same space as native Brits.

That impact is not wanted by UK generally, that fact is not missed by the tabloids
  • Options
    The 'impact' on the country is so insignificant it's almost impossible to pinpoint, let alone notice.

Not with the numbers we're getting, which despite all the crying and raving the racist press might utter, it's next to fuck all for a country with 60,000,000 people.

If we were in Luxembourg, pop. 450,000, then we could talk about the impact 100,000 asylum seekers might have. But we're not. We're in a country with 130 times larger population than Luxembourg. And therefore the impact of 100,000 asylum seekers is 130 times greater on the pocket of every Luxembourg taxpayer than it is on the British taxpayer.

Understand now?
  • Options
    100,000 odd asylum seekers by-pass the EU for the very real prospect of a life in the West not achievable by making a claim where assessment/deportation systems are in place + work, ie the rest of the EU.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    We did massive damage to the world by trying to force our way into foreign markets, into foreign job sectors.

How? what damage are you referring to?

And Alladin, you're proportion statistics may be all well and good to someone living in fucking Aberdeen, for example, but I live in London where 90% of the immigrants fucking are. So if you're going to come up with some bullshit proportionate statistics then how about you come up with some for London's boroughs, the most effected by immigration in the UK, specifically and not how many assylum seekers are admitted per 1000 of the population in the whole of the UK. As far as I'm concerned, London is a country of its own.
  • Options
    it's next to fuck all for a country with 60,000,000 people.

I think Aladdin is a crofter on the Isle of Skye, maybe that's why he believes the statement above. I think it's less credible than 'asylum seekers roasted Royal corgis on spit outside Buck House'

Lies, damned lies and statistics
  • Options
    I think Aladdin is a crofter on the Isle of Skye, maybe that's why he believes the statement above. I think it's less credible than 'asylum seekers roasted Royal corgis on spit outside Buck House'

I LOVE IT ...YOU LOT HAVE MADE ME LAUGH TONIGHT.
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1
    And Alladin, you're proportion statistics may be all well and good to someone living in fucking Aberdeen, for example, but I live in London where 90% of the immigrants fucking are. So if you're going to come up with some bullshit proportionate statistics then how about you come up with some for London's boroughs, the most effected by immigration in the UK, specifically and not how many assylum seekers are admitted per 1000 of the population in the whole of the UK. As far as I'm concerned, London is a country of its own.

Last time I looked, Wimbledon (Merton) was part of London - inspite of Koppell's attempt to move it to Milton Keynes ( :p @ Aladdin)

As that is where Aladdin lives, I would suspect that his views are grounded on his own personal experience of London, which kind of negates your argument.

BTW It isn't just the taxpayers of London who are affected as we all pay a price for assisting our fellow humans through immigration. Therefore the cost is borne by the whole population, which is the point Aladdin is trying to make. If 100,000 people turned up tomorrow in the UK it would less of an effect than if they arrived in a smaller state (like Luxemborg).

When you take our population into consideration we are better placed to take immigrants than many of our European neigbour and so should take a "fair share". This doesn't mean base number of applicants but a proportionate amount. We, as Aladdin has said, are 8th in Europe on this basis...
  • Options
    I live in a very mixed area of West London, and quite probably white english people are in the minority in my area. And quite probably there are a lot of immigrants there too.

But I fail to see why this would concern me in any shape or form, I've always found that the people who look like immigrants are quite nice, smile when you walk past them in the street, are quiet etc.

London is not 'flooded' with immigrants at all, its always been a very mixed place, because it is and was a port. And ALL port cities are mixed. But this is what makes London one of the great cities of the world, the mix. The fact that you can go to camden, or Holland Park or Ealing or Shepards Bush or Hackney or where ever and they are ALL very different.
  • Options

The only lies here are those told by the racist tabloid press. Deal with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1

I live in London too. And I think its great that its such a multicultural place. Tough shit if you're too scared of people to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Indeed. I am also a frequenter of Coldharbour Lane giant (and still alive to tell the tale- shock horror!), and I think I have a better experience of immigration in London than you might have. And I can assure you that the 'effect' of immigration in Brixton is very positive.

I certainly would much rather live next to a family of asylum seekers than Daily Mail-reading middle Englander bigots.
  • Options
    I certainly would much rather live next to a family of asylum seekers than Daily Mail-reading middle Englander bigots.

usually said by someone who won't be placed in that situation.

I know of Asylum hostels in suburban areas around which there are thefts, noise - working on cars in the street, a general lowering of the tone of the area adding nothing whatsoever to the lives of existing residents.

As for Brixton on the few occasions I've alighted at that tube, I think in the noise + chaos, who in their right mind would want to live here?
  • Options
    usually said by someone who won't be placed in that situation.

Absolute rubbish.
    I know of Asylum hostels in suburban areas around which there are thefts, noise - working on cars in the street, a general lowering of the tone of the area adding nothing whatsoever to the lives of existing residents.

There are thefts and noise everywhere. To blame it soley on asylum seekers is idiotic.
    As for Brixton on the few occasions I've alighted at that tube, I think in the noise + chaos, who in their right mind would want to live here?

Personally I love Brixton. Its lively, vibrant and has a great community. You sound like the sort of person who actually doesn't like other people very much. Brixton wouldn't want you.