Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carrying on racial debate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh my gosh, how awful, someone's car broke and they choose to fix it. That really lowers the tone of the area. Call the Daily Mail for an exclusive about what the immigrants are getting up to, ruining our beautiful suburbs. :lol:

And as for whoever said "london is its own country", get a grip. have you heard of the asylum dispersal programme, that means the burden has been taken off London and the South East. Some Londoners think the world revolves around London and ends outside the M25.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    And I can assure you that the 'effect' of immigration in Brixton is very positive.

Have never been there. But from what I here from people both off and online it's not the place you randomly take your puppy for a walk...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    But from what I here from people both off and online it's not the place you randomly take your puppy for a walk...

Very common perception of Brixton by people who've never lived here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Very common perception of Brixton by people who've never lived here.

Here as in Brixton, or here as in the UK?
  • Options
    here as in Brixton.
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1
    How? what damage are you referring to?

The days of empire...

It wasnt all invasion and slaughter...the economic imperialism was just as damaging.

Its never really stopped either...America still tries to force its way into markets today and whenever anyone tries to get into the American markets, the US slaps massive tariffs on them to promote US companies...but they condemn it if other nations do the same to US companies :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    And as for whoever said "london is its own country", get a grip. have you heard of the asylum dispersal programme, that means the burden has been taken off London and the South East. Some Londoners think the world revolves around London and ends outside the M25.

I dont think that at all. I have friends who live all around the UK and visit cities like Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester regularly. As for the immigrant dispersal programme, that only works with the immigrants who are willing to be part of such a programme. The majority of immigrants don't give a shit about taking part in a programme like that; once they get into England they head straight for London. They're not interested in some fucking useless 'dispersal programme', they find illegal work and housing for themselves, IN LONDON, because they KNOW that they can get away with abusing the system. London is a bloody country of its own, its the most multicultural city in Europe, let alone the UK, and it is becoming more crowded as I write. The government are buliding thousands of new flats in and around London in order to be able to house everyone that needs a home, and the increasing amount of immigrants coming here certainly aren't bloody helping. The Green Belt will soon be non-existent for christ sake!

And as for your predictable 'British Empire' argument Balddog, it's absolutely useless. Are you suggesting that if the British Army and Navy hadn't intervened in places like Pakistan, India, the Middle-East and parts of Africa, that these countries/places would be flourishing democracies today? Bollocks.
  • Options

And as for your predictable 'British Empire' argument Balddog, it's absolutely useless. Are you suggesting that if the British Army and Navy hadn't intervened in places like Pakistan, India, the Middle-East and parts of Africa, that these countries/places would be flourishing democracies today? Bollocks.

'intervened'? :lol:

No, i wasnt actually talking about pakistan, india or africa, more asia...

and im not suggesting that it was a bad thing either :)

Obviously not quite as predictable as you thought.
  • Options
    I dont think that at all. I have friends who live all around the UK and visit cities like Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester regularly.

I've lived in some of those places. And you're talking shit (as usual).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Have never been there. But from what I here from people both off and online it's not the place you randomly take your puppy for a walk...

I never had any problems in Brixton - and I used to be there every other week

the only time I ever felt unsettled was when things were on at the academy (or whatever its called now) and the place was full of agressive police
  • Options
    "They're not interested in some fucking useless 'dispersal programme', they find illegal work and housing for themselves,"

Giantno1; Your changing tack again, first it was that they were 'milking the system' and costing us loads. Now you say they are all working illegaly so they cant be claiming benefit. Or if they are then its at least partly the governments fault.

London is not as over crowded, yes there is a bit of a housing shortage, but then that has a lot more to do with the planning regulations than anything else. That and obviously its far better for builders to sell a few flats at a high price.

I've been around a lot of London, (I used to deliver things in a white van!) and it was very rare for me to feel even slightly worried about the area.

The backstreets of Hackney werent exactly the nicest spot ever, and parts of Tower Hamlets arent greatly pleasant, but I think most of that was because I didnt know them.
  • Options
    I've had break-ins in cars left in inner-city areas, no such probs in the 'burbs. If i lived in the inner-city I'd have higher insurance, no-claims, burglaries,,, for what, diversity, man? No thanks
  • Options
    I've never had but the slightest incident in Brixton.

But much of the population happens to be black, so naturally Middle England quickly assumes there must be lots of crime and the Daily Mail sends journalists carrying mobile phones and laptops to see how long it takes to get mugged (it was two full days and after the journo had to walk into a council estate as nobody was interested in mugging him).

In fact one is much more at risk in, say, Leicester Square from white British males than would ever be in Brixton.

In a way I'm perfectly happy with the perception of Brixton some people have. I wouldn't want the City boys wank brigade to start gentrificating the place and ruining it.
  • Options
    In fact one is much more at risk in, say, Leicester Square from white British males than would ever be in Brixton

And Leicester Square is any sort of residential area ? False comparison
  • Options
    Originally posted by solo
    I've had break-ins in cars left in inner-city areas, no such probs in the 'burbs. If i lived in the inner-city I'd have higher insurance, no-claims, burglaries,,, for what, diversity, man? No thanks

Thats poverty that causes the problems not immigrants.

Really, your critical faculties are fucked.
  • Options

I've never been burgled living in any inner city area. My mum & dad live in Ealing and have been burgled. Make of that what you will.
  • Options

I think you would be surprised at the number of people who live in central London - esp the EC1/2 postcode area (ie covent garden, leicester sq area)
  • Options
    Stop getting confused between immigrants, illegal immigrants, and asylum seekers.

If a person is not "willing" to be housed in a certain city, they will not be provided with a home and support, simple as that. Part of making an asylum claim is signing to say you will stay at a certain address for the duration of your claim, in whatever city they send you to.

So, there are lots of non English people in London. You can't tell by looking at them whether they are foreign students, visiting family, asylum seekers, refugees, illegal immigrants, whatever. I wish people would stop being so judgemental just because they see someone who isn't British.

There are lots of asylum seekers/refugees in other cities, especially Birmingham, Liverpool, Stoke, and some Scottish cities. Stop whining on about London.
  • Options
    Blagsta; Dont say bad things about Ealing, I really like ealing, I think its a top place. But we do get a few car break ins and such.

PussyKatty; I think you are totaly right, there is no way of telling by looking at someone where they're from or what they are doing here.

London, by comparison with a lot of other big cities is really safe. And in the areas where there is crime (there are no areas without it) it is far far more likely to be caused by socio-economic factors than race. Where they're from has f*ck all to do with it. Most aisan immigrants are nice to an almost scary degree, so meak and quiet.
  • Options
    Thats poverty that causes the problems not immigrants.

Just keep sticking to your mantras and your GCSE soliological pronouncements

You're presumbably the same Blagsta posting on U75 complaining of skateboarders keeping awake him at night in his beloved Brixton? You should move to Redhill, no such probs there
  • Options
    So there was no crime here in the UK before we had immigrants? When was that exactly, when was this golden age when we had no crime?
    Before the Vikings perhaps?

It makes no odds, if you go to a poor white, brown, asian, black area there will be crime because if people have nothing to hope for they are dangerous.
  • Options
    Just keep sticking to your mantras and your GCSE soliological pronouncements

And you just keep to your wrongheaded assumptions about me and about life in general. Maybe when you grow up a bit you might learn something.
    You're presumbably the same Blagsta posting on U75 complaining of skateboarders keeping awake him at night in his beloved Brixton? You should move to Redhill, no such probs there

Thats me. I got annoyed about being kept awake one night by student skateboard types. So what? I'm a grumpy fucker when my sleep's disturbed.
  • Options
    I think his point was, how can you get against stateboarders and pro asylum seekers?
    A perfectly reasonable question.
  • Options
    I think poverty is certainly a cause of crime, and of so called "bad areas".

Since I was 17, I have lived in various crap areas of Birmingham. I lives on 2 different council estates, which were mostly White. Didn't feel very safe there, lots of drugs, and idiots around. For one year I lived in a majority Pakistani Muslim area, which I didn't like. I didn't like being a minority and being stared at, and having young blokes in cars shout things at me and try to chat me up.

Now I live in Handsworth, a very mixed area, with lots of black people, asian people and refugees from all over the world, as well as white people. I don't feel all that safe alone at night, but overall this is the best area I have lived in because it is mixed. There is no one majority group. There's a mosque next to a church next to a gurdwara etc etc.

People get along with each other. I think segregated areas which happen in most cities are a really bad idea. As well as religious schools.

Sorry if I have gone off the point here. But no more than anyone else in this thread!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I think his point was, how can you get against stateboarders and pro asylum seekers?.

:confused::confused:

I'm not against skateboarders, I just get grumpy when kept awake.

:confused::confused:
  • Options
    Can I just add. I spent 3 months in the USA this summer and it was interesting, if not very pleasant, to see that a lot of Americans reacted to Mexican and hispanic people, the way that the right wing British people do to asylum seekers.

It seems every society likes to have a group to place their blames on, back in the 50s and 60s, it was the West Indians who were invited to live over here to work, now it's asylum seekers.
  • Options
    I was attempting to point out the somewhat spurious arguement of solo.
  • Options
    Solo are you saying that poverty, deprivation and crime aren't linked?

Oh and I didn't do GCSE's btw. They came in after I left school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I was attempting to point out the somewhat spurious arguement of solo.

I thought so, just making sure...
  • Options
    so muggers are poor are they, prove it. Gun-toting hoods are poor are they, prove it ( Won't be poor for long on proceedings of crime, will they?Poor? - more like thick, callous + greedy