Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carrying on racial debate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Hypothetically ok, just lets set this scenario :
    Today I say to you " fuck off you English bastard" and thats ok, its not racist its me just telling you to piss off and shut up. I'd still be a member of this site and I dont think id get banned.
    The next day, lets assume Mr Roll is coloured and I say to him "Fuck off you black bastard" then id be instantly banned.
    What is the difference here ? to me there is none, but being just your normal english person you can be called and its ok, now the black person jumps high and mighty because its wrong to say "black bastard".
    Firstly, 'English' describes a disparate bunch of people from the same region, of various shapes, sizes and colours, so much so that, used pejoratively, the slur is somewhat watered down. The speaker betrays his ignorance without any help from the moderators. 'Black' is very specific, and the above phrase implies that dark skin can be associated with being a 'bastard'.

Now, I personally would never call someone an English bastard, but let's say I was an Irishman with personal knowledge of innocent people, along with IRA suspects, being gunned down in cold blood by the security services in Northern Ireland, and also the knowledge that most people in England know nothing of such matters, and frankly couldn't give a damn. Were I in conversation with an Englishman who clearly displayed the same ignorance and believed, simply because that's what it said in his tabloid newspaper, that the British Army and the RUC could do no wrong, and refused point blank to consider any arguments to the contrary, I might end up telling him to 'fuck off, you English bastard', due to the fact that he was displaying the worst aspects of the stereotypical Englishman. I still think that I wouldn't, for the reasons stated above, unless I'd given up on rational debate, and was just trying to start a fight.

On the other hand, if I was face to face with one of Robert Mugabe's ministers, say Didymus Mutasa, and his blatant lies about the plight of opponents of Zanu-PF really were annoying me to the point of distraction, I would most likely tell him to 'piss off, you pathetic stooge'. It just wouldn't occur to me to make an issue of his colour, and I really think you should ask yourself why you would ever want to make an issue of Roll's skin, if he were black or white or sky blue with pink polka dots. I think (I may be wrong) that Blagsta is black. Have you ever felt the slightest urge to call him a' black bastard', even silently in front of the keyboard?

Mugabe is a bastard in my view. To call him a 'black bastard', however, would send out a wrong signal and I have no difficulty seeing that. Why do you?
  • Options
    But its a common thing to come out with and say the Irish are stupid.

Hypothetically ok, just lets set this scenario :
    Today I say to you " fuck off you English bastard" and thats ok, its not racist its me just telling you to piss off and shut up. I'd still be a member of this site and I dont think id get banned.
    The next day, lets assume Mr Roll is coloured and I say to him "Fuck off you black bastard" then id be instantly banned.
    What is the difference here ? to me there is none, but being just your normal english person you can be called and its ok, now the black person jumps high and mighty because its wrong to say "black bastard".

Edited to add, sorry if I did offend anyone with what I have just written it was not intentional. I just wanted to put things another way. For anyone who does not know me I am not racist.
    .i think if a black guy comes on here calling me a white bastard he would get the usual warning and if he persisted would indeed get banned!
    and being called an english bastard is not the same as being called a white bastard. calling someone a scouse **** or a geordie bastard would not be racist either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Have you ever felt the slightest urge to call him a' black bastard', even silently in front of the keyboard?

Actually no I have not, I have thought for fucks sake shut up blah blah blah :D But then i think the same about other posters.

I dont know if Blagsta is black or not, I hope not purely because of the PM I sent him last night :lol:

As people may be aware my area is prodominently white so I dont see racism like maybe people who come from big cities do. I just feel that I cannot speak as freely as once upon a time, because things I say could be interpreted the wrong way. Having to not say the word black when used with another word because it could offend someone. To me you could be black, chinese, French or whatever and as long as your ok with me and not being a twat then thats ok, but if you happened to be black and i dont like you for whatever reason it does not mean I dont like black people, or that im racist.

To be honest the only time I use the term bastard is when I tell rolly to "fuck off you daft barsteward" and sometimes other people, thats me just having a laugh and I dont mean to make personal insult.
  • Options
    I think (I may be wrong) that Blagsta is black.

I'm white. I even said so in a post a bit further up ^
  • Options
    As people may be aware my area is prodominently white so I dont see racism like maybe people who come from big cities do.

And there, we have the crux of the difference in views...
  • Options
    yes it is important to have a balance when it comes to history, but alladin hit the nail on the head when he mentioned killing johnny foreigner... etc. you will find that the british empire is usually taught in schools in this context; something for white people to be ashamed of and feel guilty about. well sorry, but i am proud of my country's history and heritage despite the mistakes of the past. when someone like greg dyke ( who has a lot of media influence) describes the bbc as '' hideously white'' it makes me sick. it was mentioned earlier that telling black youths that they will become sportsmen or criminals has a negative effect. what do you think telling white people that they are racist constantly will do? again this is a by-product of p.c, resentment and division. not nice is it? let's stamp out pc, we dont need it here.
  • Options
    black history,hmm, the Slave Trade was facilitated by coastal tribes raiding the interior for slaves from interior tribes. We had no armed resistance from Africans as such, our cannons faced seawards, agianst rival slaving nations. Had we faced armed resistance from Africans , it's unlikely the Slave Trade would have happened.

Just keep producing expensive and unread bumpf about minor figures in history who weren't white.
  • Options
    There might be minor to you, they certainly aren't to them. To many of them it is people like Nelson who are 'minor'.

And don't make me fucking laugh about the slave trade.

Pathetic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Major Tom
    what do you think telling white people that they are racist constantly will do?

But this simply doesn't happen.:confused:
  • Options
    To many of them it is people like Nelson who are 'minor'.

Mr Mandela to you:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I'm white. I even said so in a post a bit further up ^
    My bad, this is a fast moving thread :) I'm sure that there is a regular poster to this board who's black (maybe Blackarab, or is that too obvious to be right?).

I've always been disappointed by how few minority posters there seem to be on message boards. You see these polls like 'age/sex/location?', but I've never seen anyone work up the courage/audacity to ask 'Colour?' It's nice that people can't easily dismiss others as having a chip on their shoulders because of their ethnic background, but still...
  • Options
    And there, we have the crux of the difference in views...

So try to educate me then, instead of just calling someone racist.

You see I just have a problem understanding your other post, the one about people crossing the roads because someone is coloured, I do that automatically where I live and its nothing at all to do with colour. I cross the road cos im shit scared on a night and thats me being honest.
    Also your coloured mates do they hang about in areas you can find drugs ? Is that why they are asked ? Also about talking to your coloured mates its not normal practice to just start talking to someone you dont know, if i did then it would be a quick hello and thats all because i wouldnt have a clue what to say to them.
    Maybe your friends are making more out of the colour issue than the person who is white, is that a possibility ?
  • Options
    My bad, this is a fast moving thread :)

Well take more notice in future, how the hell did you miss that bit where blagsta said his colour :p

Do you not think by people not asking colour it can acutally build any bridges if you know what I mean. Like I could be sat here thinking I dont like Asian people (im not, hypothetically again), but for the past 6 months I could have been talking to an Asian without even knowing it, I could strike up a good friendship and maybe any doubts I had about that race could be quashed.

Also to any coloured/asian people out there would you refrain from telling people your colour in fear of been ignored or made a mockery of ? Im just curious as to how you feel, thats all :)
  • Options
    Well take more notice in future, how the hell did you miss that bit where blagsta said his colour :p
    I seem to have skipped everything on page 38 after Roll's post at 8:44. It happens when one is jumping around a thread replying to posts there wasn't time to respond to earlier, when first read. Just my luck to miss something important like that ;)
  • Options
    In reference to the actions of African rulers during the slave trade

Slave Kingdoms

Seems like a balanced enough introduction, though the implict message in your post Solo, that because an elite in Africa participated in the slave trade Western powers have no responsibility for the atrocities that followed, is disturbing. It's always helpful to try and find a link that supports such comments especially when they are so clearly antagonistic.
  • Options
    I thank you for that, Jim V. My post was based on a BBC2 doc following a group of Afro-Americans visiting Slave ports in Ghana, I was going to rustle up a link later. Of course slavery was horrendous but they were brutal times for Europeans + sailors and brutality breeds callousness.
  • Options
    So try to educate me then, instead of just calling someone racist.

I haven't called you racist. In fact I think I even said on another thread that I think you're probably a nice person, just a tad naive.
    You see I just have a problem understanding your other post, the one about people crossing the roads because someone is coloured, I do that automatically where I live and its nothing at all to do with colour. I cross the road cos im shit scared on a night and thats me being honest.

But this happens more with black people I think. I must admit that I used to feel more intimidated at night when coming across a group of black lads than a group of white lads. I don't anymore, but I'm sure it was down to portrayal in the media and fear of the "other" etc.

Also your coloured mates do they hang about in areas you can find drugs ? Is that why they are asked ?

Its hard to explain to you when you so obviously seem to have led such a sheltered life (no offence - just an observation).
    The media image of black men dressed a certain way is of drug dealer or mugger...this permeates into most people's consciousnessess and affects how they relate to black people on quite a deep subconscious level.

And no, its nothing to with areas that people hang out in.
    Also about talking to your coloured mates its not normal practice to just start talking to someone you dont know, if i did then it would be a quick hello and thats all because i wouldnt have a clue what to say to them.

Depends where you are. I talk to people I don't really know in pubs and parties all the time.
    Maybe your friends are making more out of the colour issue than the person who is white, is that a possibility ?

Well yes of course, because for white people its not an issue.
  • Options
    so are you saying white people cant be victims of racism? sounds like it!
  • Options
    so are you saying white people cant be victims of racism? sounds like it!

No. Find where I even implied that and have my next paycheque.

I said colour is not an issue for white people, because on a day to day level, it simply isn't. We are a majority in a white culture and we don't even think about it normally.
  • Options
    you say colour is not an issue for white people, siince when do you speak for all white people? you dont speak for me pal.
  • Options
    Because its simply not, not in the same way it is for black or asian people. We are a majority in a white culture, we are not discriminated against daily.

Tell me how it is an issue for you then...
  • Options
    colour is an issue because we are constantly reminded of colour, mobo's, the voice newspaper, these sort of things celebrate being black. why? why cant black people be celebrated as just individuals when they are successful, i dont see why we need to be constantly reminded of their colour.
  • Options
    For the very reasons I have stated.

Tell me again, why is it an issue for you?
  • Options
    because if i want to be proud to be white and wave a union jack, people like you instantly start bleating; racist, racist! i believe i can be proud of being white without hating others or being a member of the BNP. do you agree? are you proud to be white, or have you been made to feel guilty about the colour of your skin by the current political climate? you tell me.
  • Options
    I haven't called you racist. In fact I think I even said on another thread that I think you're probably a nice person, just a tad naive

No I meant people in general, people who like me have never lived in a city with many different cultures etc.
    Thanks for your compliment ;)
    Yes I suppose im very naive, have lived a sheltered life but I dont know any different. Thats the way I was brought up, Ive never lived in a big city and so I dont hear the stories that you have said here.

So you have been around cities, who do you think gets more racist comments thrown at them ? would it be Black people, Asian people, Jews or whatever. Who do you think is made more welcome ?

and thats another thing that is bugging me, like I dont know wether to say black or coloured ? now I know that must sound stupid, again its because of the area I have been brought up in, I have never had to say black/coloured.
  • Options
    colour is an issue because we are constantly reminded of colour, mobo's, the voice newspaper, these sort of things celebrate being black.

They may celebrate being black, but they don't say that being black is better or that being black makes someone superior.

Tell me when white's are regulalry discriminated against, just for being white. I know, I'm just wondering if you do?

Everyday life creates issue for our ethnic communities - for example someone speaking hindu will not recieve the same level of care as you or I because we do not have the capability in this country to offer interpreters to ensure that the hindu speaker can communicate their problems. Now that isn't intentional racism, but it also isn;t a problem which 80% of the population will face...
  • Options
    How could you be proud of being white Major Tom- something over which no one has control?

Are you proud of being right handed/left handed too? Or if you happen to be 5' 11", are you proud of your height as well?

There is a very simple reason why there are black newspapers or magazines: because they are a minority and minorities need support. And one of the ways to offer support is by association.

There are pigeon fanciers clubs, magazines, message forums. I trust you understand why it makes sense to have those clubs and magazines for pigeon fanciers, but it does not make any sense to have a magazine or a club for non-pigeon fanciers.

The white, British, heterosexual man is the dominant (for want of a better word) group in society. White British heterosexual men don't need clubs or newspapers to support them. They're the majority. They're in control.

Do you object to gay-only nightclubs as well, and demand that straight-only nightclubs be open? It's exactly the same principle as black newspapers or social clubs.
  • Options
    alladin, i accept what you're saying, but why do minorities need support? and from who?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    How could you be proud of being white Major Tom- something over which no one has control?

Are you proud of being right handed/left handed too? Or if you happen to be 5' 11", are you proud of your height as well?

So now we cannot be proud of who we are? I am proud of my life, my upbringing, my supportive parents who have brought me up to be a caring, community spirited person. I am proud of my boyfriend (no i do not hate gays!) , my mum, my dad, (not even implying anything by these!) my sister, (anymore sisters I’d be crazy!) my charity work, the colour of my room, my choice of posters, my choice of music, my heritage...

....Sorry YES I am proud to be white (it is not just a colour to me!), as i am Cornish (before you say it, i am PROUD i am female! (a minority), to be my height, to have brown hair, to have blue eyes, and small ears!) i am even proud that i have a disability (a disability which has required me to work 10x harder than a 'normal' person.

i myself have also received the taunts of being 'thick' ' deaf' 'different' etc, but i am proud of myself i have made my life what it is now. this is not about being white it is about being me!

Yet if i spout off about it, i am rascist, but right if i am proud of my disability (if i was able and sa that i am proud to be able i would be in the wrong) however not one day goes by where I am glad to be disabled, i am just happy that i have worked hard, in fact much harder than most to get my A levels.

Let me tell you now, if a black, Asian, Chinese, Japanese person can be proud of their heritage, why on earth can't I? I am proud to be Cornish, despite the bad connotations, of being an inbred country bumpkin! I am PROUD OF ME! it just so happens that it may cause offence to paranoid people, who have nothing better to do than analyse my thoughts, feelings and emotions! If i choose to fly the English flag, and it offends people, then so be it, its me. If for example flying the English flag offends a Scottish next door neighbour, then so be it, its my life its ME!

Edited before people try knocking me down, i posted in haste, my spelling was a little 'incorrect'
  • Options
    people seem to be scared to express their opinions in the current political climate, but my grandfather fought real racists in the war so i could enjoy my freedom of speech. i'll be damned if im going to let people tell me what i can and cannot say.