Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

immigration

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People who say to me that immigrants of various nationalities enrich and make England's culture better are idiots because these immigrants are not enriching British culture but ERASING it. I have nothing against allowing immigrants to enter the UK to make a legitimate living for themselves but the flow has to be controlled and monitored vigarously and not in the pathetic manner that Labour are doing now. When I hear about the police making a £2bn drugs bust organised by asylum seekers (a recent occurance), I am enraged. Catching British drug dealers is a problem, and one that is made no easier by the increasing number of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers involving themselves in the drugs industry.

Comments

• Options
    you've got to be careful. in this day and age immigrants have more rights than British citizens.

I think it's disgusting about the Kenyan man who raped a woman and has appealed against deportation, sick.
  • Options
    Immigration has increased greatly simce NuLabour's 1997 election. it's likely asylum seekers noticed their coming to power and pushed on to the UK, knowing they'd get a better hearing thean elsewhere in europe, which has happened. There's no reason why asylum seekers should go through a continent of safe countries to attain asylum. We have a great pool of un-deported asylum seekers as well as many visitors from esp. Africa + Caribbean who never go home. Living in London, multi-ethnic areas are anonymous places, Immigrants tend to stick to their own kind, they perpetuate their own cultures through their children, i don't see how or why i should celebrate diversity as I'm told i should.
  • Options
    Wrexham is extremely anti-immigrant here... I mean I'm pretty passive to it. In a culture that celebrates the burning of catholics and that has so much American influence these days we don't even have a culture. I mean who were the true British people in the first place? The celts. :rolleyes:

I mean what the hell is our culture?

After the riots in Wrexham by ignorant people who believe that immigrants are given housing because they're immigrants and more money because of their skin colour I have little sympathy for them. Yeah they're deprived, but blame the government, not the immigrants themselves.

Even the kids these days are messed up and I don't believe that sending them home would improve anything really because then people would find another minority to pick on.

However, Britain is too PC in my opinion, but our culture... I say bollocks to culture :p Bollocks to closed shops on a Sunday, foxhunting and the monarchy. We're becoming America 2 anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Wrexham is extremely anti-immigrant here... I mean I'm pretty passive to it. In a culture that celebrates the burning of catholics and that has so much American influence these days we don't even have a culture. ...........I mean who were the true British people in the first place? The celts. :rolleyes:

I mean what the hell is our culture?

Though, as a Pagan, you would say that :p.

I agree with much of what you said but only really wanted to ick up on these points.

I am not a fan of November 5th anyway, as it gives idiot scallies access to dangerous materials which they then throw through car windows and at the elderly, but i have often raised the point of how Puritanic burning a Catholic effigy is,

However, maybe I am a hypocrite because I enjoy Christmas, though I am not a Christian, I just like the social side of it, and people just like going to fireworks displays are no different, I suppose.

But yes, why is it since the 1950's that the immigrants themselves have been blamed? After all, it was the government that created the problems in the factories in the first place, and then invited foreigners to do the jobs which they had created. Foreigners that the British public as a whole ,didn't really want.

And I have raised this point before, but it was greatly ignored. What IS British culture.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Though, as a Pagan, you would say that :p.

Well it's true, really. We're a nation of mixed blood, I don't know if there even are any real pure blooded English people who've been here since the dawn of time.

But yes, why is it since the 1950's that the immigrants themselves have been blamed? After all, it was the government that created the problems in the factories in the first place, and then invited foreigners to do the jobs which they had created. Foreigners that the British public as a whole ,didn't really want.

Maybe foreign people work for less money? I don't really understand xenophobia or how somebody can even say this country has much of a culture, I mean it hardly has a ruling religion anymore either (thank the gods).
    And I have raised this point before, but it was greatly ignored. What IS British culture.

I guess it's things like foxhunting, roast dinners and having Sunday off work. Most of British culture I would say only really applies to the elite anyway... I'll look it up.
  • Options
    _1887751_fishchips2_150.jpg

Mmm British food, yet many people would rather have a Chinese or a curry than greasy fish & chips. But oh no! It erases British culture, it defiles our proud roots :rolleyes:

hunt_satire_002_jpg.jpg

Hiho jolly hockeysticks! Let's all go prance around like ponces chasing defenseless animals in the woods. Now that's a man sport isn't it, we're all so civilised over here you know!

beach.jpg

Oh I do like to be beside the sea side! Oh I do like to be beside the seeeeaaaaaa!

Mmm classy, a good old weekend break in Blackpool is enough to warm the hearts of any proud Brit. let your kids frolic in the filthy sea whilst the fat mother wears clothes that reveal her cellulite on the beach. And uncle John can take them later to the arcade to play whack-a-mole whilst drunk people puke on the streets as the sun falls on the horizon.

Don't get me wrong, I love fish & chips and am fond of the sea side (away from the tacky resorts). But there are also aspects of other cultures that make a good weekend too, they make this country a little more interesting and aren't really killing our culture. What's killing it is MacDonalds and shite teen movies. In my opinion.
  • Options
    Its very difficult to define your own culture from the inside..I find it hard to define English culture but my foreign friends have no problem doing so.

Just like we can define the cultures of other nations better than our own.
    Most of British culture I would say only really applies to the elite anyway...

Thats one of the silliest things ive read in a long time..Culture is universal and crosses all boundaries. Culture is merely the way we go about our everyday lives. Its impossible for one part of society not to have culture.

I have no problems with immigrants coming to this country as i have faith in the british culture and way of life. I dont believe it will be destroyed by a few foreign cultures joining in...I do believe it gets stronger.

Having said that, I do think there should be limits on immigration for practical reasons.
  • Options
    Well some of these immigrants have adopted the British culture, and saying culture you start from the most simple things, I don't know, getting fish and chips or whatever. I have only been here for a year and a half, but where I live, at some extend, the English are a minority. There are many people, mostly from Pakistan, although they have brought their traditions (i.e. Bradford was decorated during the Diwali) they have also adopted to some of the British traditions as well.
    As for the "asylum seekers" if something doesn't happen fast, I would not be surprised if the BNP starts getting more and more votes.

Btw: Baldy any chance I get myself unsuspended?:p
  • Options
    The "asylum seekers issue" is the clearest example yet that the populace can be made to believe anything whatsoever with a little effort and campaigning from the media.

The "asylum seekers issue" is nothing. A drop in the ocean. A nonentity. The very bottom of the list of problems people should be worrying about.

But you only need certain ultra right wing, xenophobic racist worthless shit masquerading as "newspapers" this country is cursed with to ramble about "floods" of immigrants and "bogus" asylum seekers "bringing the country to the brink", "milking our generous welfare system" and so on, for everyone to go into a panic and demand "the floodgates are closed" before this country "is overwhelmed" and the NHS "ruined". :rolleyes:

I salute newcomers, be genuine asylum seekers or economic migrants. Britain could take easily 20 times the numbers we get without getting any close to "being overwhelmed" or "flooded". But for some people, one (non-white) immigrant per year seems to be one too many...
  • Options
    Asylum means a loss of control of Immigration matters. Any chancer can arrive, be ascribed a full set of Human Rights which can be to achieve a standard of living undreamed of in their own often failed-State of a birthplace. Immigration lawyers have sprung up like mushrooms in inner-city areas to exhaust the legal process, much money to be made there. An asylum seeker can be any sort of person from a budding Nobel prize winner to a terrorist, the UK has no control on their entry and little will to ensure their exit. This nonsense should be sharply curtailed.
  • Options
    Aladdin, I do not pay taxes to this goverment and I don't know how much it is you Brits pay, but why should there be so so many non-genuine asylum seekers costing £millions?
    Why doesn't the goverment try to fund the eldery, the people who have worked and fought for this country? I read a recent article where about 20,000 aged Britons may die of the cold, because they can't afford to pay for food and heating.
    Is that fair? Would you like to live and work for 50years in a country, then be left to die?
  • Options
    The "asylum seekers issue" is nothing. A drop in the ocean. A nonentity. The very bottom of the list of problems people should be worrying about.

You mean what you are worrying about.

Dont give me that usual left wing tripe about the sun, mail etc stirring it up, it doesnt NEED to be stirred up mate, people can see it around us.

A asylum hostel was put up near my house a couple odf years ago and believe you me we havent had life the same since, once a peaceful area we had rape, robbery and a murder in the first 6 months where asylum seekers were all found guilty of.

Youre right in one respect, asylum seekers arent a problem, you just forget to add the (providing its not near you) bit after it.
  • Options
    What?
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The "asylum seekers issue" is the clearest example yet that the populace can be made to believe anything whatsoever with a little effort and campaigning from the media.

Alladin, you must be living on some segregated fairytale island off the coast mate, cos what your quote above just says to me is "TWAT." You're telling me that the immigration issue is nothing when I read about illegal African immigrants mugging British women on their door steps or muslim arabs who are SUPPOSED TO BE "BRITISH CITIZENS" being found with a ton of explosive in their homes? You're just a typical pathetic liberal panzy, who if gets their way, will turn this country into terrorist AfroArabia. As far as I'm concerned, immigrants who enter the country legally and make it their plan to work and contribute to the British economy, are more than welcome here. Whats more, asylum seekers who seek refuge in the UK, come here to get away from the attrocities being committed in their respective countries, not to replicate them here. I'm PRO-EUROPEAN, PRO-WORKING CLASS, but I sure as hell aint going to stand by and see England become an anarchical terrorist zone of the west. Go home Alladin, you speak for NONE OF US.
  • Options
    Giant no. 1... piss off back under the BNP hole you crawled out of, why don't you...
    :rolleyes:

Originally posted by RWB
    Dont give me that usual left wing tripe about the sun, mail etc stirring it up, it doesnt NEED to be stirred up mate, people can see it around us.

Let me point out in more detail the effect of the racist agendas the S*n and the Daily Mosley have in this country.

There was a report in the Independent a while ago about asylum myths and figures. I cannot post a link because you have to pay to access their archives, but I have dug out some infesting results anyway:

Claim: "Most asylum seekers are not in danger- they just come here to milk our generous system"

Fact: "The main countries from which applicants came in 2002 were Iraq (14,940), Zimbabwe (7,695) and Afghanistan (7,380)."
    And the most extraordinary thing is many of those people crying out about asylum seekers are the same ones supporting Bush and Blair's wars "to protect all those people from tyranny".

It really beggars belief...

Claim: "We're being swamped with refugees and taking more than anyone else in Europe or indeed the world"

Fact: "In 2002, the United Kingdom was 8th in Europe in terms of the number of asylum applications per 1,000 of the population, with 1.9. Austria is top with 4.6"
    One of the tabloids' favourite cries, about Britain taking the brunt of asylum applications and armies of refugees crossing the world just to come to our wonderful little island.

Claim: "The country is about to collapse under the weight of asylum seekers"

Fact: The public has been misled about this to the point where: "According to an opinion poll last year, the public believes that the UK hosts about 23 per cent of the world's refugees, although the real figure is 1.98%."
    "The public overestimates by a factor of 10 the number of asylum-seekers in the UK."
    This is the all-time favourite war cry of our fine press, and you can see that clearly it has had an effect. Despite being bollocks, a lot of people in this country now think Britain is literarily sinking under the weight of the millions zillions of immigrants coming here every week.

Claim: "Asylum seekers live a life of luxury and are given very generous handouts by the government"

Fact: "The public believes that the average asylum-seeker receives about £113 in benefits a week; in reality they receive about £36.54." That's 70% of the minimum wage, and well below the poverty line.
    As far as some people would be concerned, the average asylum seeker is given on arrival a seven-bedroom mansion in Surrey, a BMW 7 series, a share portfolio, private health and weekly benefits to the tune of £5,000.

It is, in fact, £36.54 a week. Hardly worth leaving your country for is it?
  • Options
    And the most extraordinary thing is many of those people crying out about asylum seekers are the same ones supporting Bush and Blair's wars "to protect all those people from tyranny".

are they, says who, you?
    In 2002, the United Kingdom was 8th in Europe in terms of the number of asylum applications per 1,000 of the population, with 1.9. Austria is top with 4.6

But in absolute numerical terms were no.1, all the way across the countries you quote, to an island in the N. Sea
    Despite being bollocks, a lot of people in this country now think Britain is literarily sinking under the weight of the millions zillions of immigrants coming here every week.

are they, says who, you?
    As far as some people would be concerned, the average asylum seeker is given on arrival a seven-bedroom mansion in Surrey, a BMW 7 series, a share portfolio, private health and weekly benefits to the tune of £5,000.

which people are they then, they live in your imagination, I'd guess?

yes, £36.54 a week a week more than on offer in their own often failed-State of a birthplace.
  • Options
    QUOTE]Let me point out in more detail the effect of the racist agendas the S*n and the Daily Mosley have in this country.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on mate.

Racist agendas??? come on dont make me laugh. I agree both papers are right wing but racist is a very very strong word and definately not appilicable to either. The Sun's assistant to the editor is black and both papers have consistently abhored racism in every form. You are taking your point to a huge extreme there in my opinion. Anti asylum yes, racist no.

I appreciate your examples and I admit some of them probably shouldnt have been printed, but all papers print things like this from different points of the political scale and they dont get pulled up for it. I remember teh Guardian printing some pretty repulsive things about the conservatives in recent times but I wouldnt hold individual arguments agaisnt a paper as a whole. The Sun isnt my favourite read but I do understand it is the countrys number one selling paper and probably reflects "peoples opinion" in a way.

That argument could also be reversed though to say the numbers of people proved we did need to go to war and the anti war bridage were refusing to do anything about a massive problem staring them straight in the face.

Back to the point, what probably should have said was that I didnt need a paper to tell em what SOME asylum seekers are like, bringing 150 asylum seekers to my area has scarred many people lives around here and I cannot forgive this goverment whose decision it was to house them here ever. They betrayed our people round here and will pay for it at the next election guaranteed.

It is actually, youd be surprised how much extra you can make thieving and mugging as well :D;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by solo
    are they, says who, you?
    Er, no. Say the S*n and the Telegraph, and obviously readers who agree with their editorial line.

The two most staunch supporters of the Bush/Blair imperialistic crusades, and yet in the front line of the war against asylum seekers.

The very definition of irony. And hypocrisy.

But in absolute numerical terms were no.1, all the way across the countries you quote, to an island in the N. Sea
    Yes but what counts is the size of the country and its population. If 10,000 asylum seekers arrived in, say, Andorra the absolute numerical term would be insignificant compared with other countries in Europe. But the real term would be astronomical for such tiny Principate.

A proportional reading shows a much more accurate reflection of the impact those immigrants would have in the country, and how Britain fares against countries of different sizes and population.

yes, £36.54 a week a week more than on offer in their own often failed-State of a birthplace.
    £36.54 might go a long way in their countries. In here is not enough to keep a dog.

Perhaps if asylum seekers were allowed to work (another misconception, that they refuse to work and prefer to live on benefits) they would not have to "live" off the state.
  • Options
    RWB- very slow internet at the moment so I'm not going to bother with quotes, italics, bolds and so on; let me do a bulk reply:

In my opinion there is definitively a racist, or at least a mixture of xenophobia and greed element in the incredible obsession some tabloids have with asylum seekers. Because if anyone takes a few deep breaths and looks at the situation with a cold head, they'll realise that is not nearly, by a million miles as serious as these people would have us believe. There countless other issues, from tax to foreign policy to the environment and the problems it is going to cause, that are far more pressing or have much more of an influence on our lives and the country.

So why? Why do the tabloids devote so many tens of thousands of column inches per year to an issue that has far less effect than many other things? Why such obsession with something that at the end of the day can- and should- be seen as a charitable act and costs us but a very small fraction of what we pay for defence, foreign policy and other things? Because other than paedophiles, another pet hate of the tabloids, it cannot be denied that for every newspaper column inch devoted to defence, war, environment, tax, education, health or whatever, rags like the HateMail or the S*n must devote at least 10 times as much space to asylum seekers.

I can only see one possible explanation for it. Those people REALLY HATE IT that foreigners (and mostly non-whites a cynical mind like mine would like to add) might come to this country and share but a minuscule share of our wealth- and one that in real terms none of us is going to notice in our pockets. So why do they hate it so much? Greed? Xenophobia? Racism? A combination of the three? Maybe. But one thing is for sure: the relative impact of asylum seekers in this country does not justify from any angle whatsoever the absurd coverage- and lies- given by the right wing tabloids in this country.

As for crime levels near asylum centres... I'm sure this is true, and it is lamentable. But like with 'normal council estates, wherever there is poverty and misery there is going to be crime. No easy solution there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    Racist agendas??? come on dont make me laugh. I agree both papers are right wing but racist is a very very strong word and definately not appilicable to either. The Sun's assistant to the editor is black and both papers have consistently abhored racism in every form. You are taking your point to a huge extreme there in my opinion. Anti asylum yes, racist no.[/b]

Unless you link The Sun to the fact that it's geared at working class semi-literate people and perhaps because of issues of their own they may have more of a problem with Assylum seekers? Also, you could ask, well what is racism?

Sure, the assistant editor is (I assume) afro-carrabean? Now in Wrexham afro-carrabean people are fine but they hate people from pakistan and kurds. People have different prejudices about different group.
    Back to the point, what probably should have said was that I didnt need a paper to tell em what SOME asylum seekers are like, bringing 150 asylum seekers to my area has scarred many people lives around here and I cannot forgive this goverment whose decision it was to house them here ever. They betrayed our people round here and will pay for it at the next election guaranteed.

How have they scarred people's lives?

If you ask me the people who I think take the piss and fuck up this country is those who come off council estates, get pissed and start fights. The ones who hurl abuse on street corners and who's kids are six years old and out playing on the streets. Yeah we had the riots in Wrexham, but the assylum seekers here are very polite when I serve them at the bar and extremely quiet.

Assylum seekers aren't more likely to commit crimes than a white person, but when they do it's more publicised.
    It is actually, youd be surprised how much extra you can make thieving and mugging as well :D;) [/B]

Really, so statistically more assylum seekers mug old ladies than white people?
  • Options
    How have they scarred people's lives?

I think you should read my post again. I said there ws a MURDER and a couple of RAPES commited by them, you dont think this scars peoples lives?

Either you cant read properly or you obviously havnt been on the recieving end of either of these.:(

Yeah we had the riots in Wrexham, but the assylum seekers here are very polite

Yeah, looked it when I saw that picture of them all holding baseball bats eyeing up which pub to smah up yet, good to see they can afford baseball bats out of there 30 quid a week eh? :rolleyes:
    Really, so statistically more assylum seekers mug old ladies than white people?

When did I say that, give me a quote. Not that little sarcastic one I put in the last thread either

(not one that says "well you said they commit more crimes you did"):rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: immigration
    Originally posted by giantno1
    People who say to me that immigrants of various nationalities enrich and make England's culture better are idiots because these immigrants are not enriching British culture but ERASING it.

How exactly? And what is British culture anyway?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    you've got to be careful. in this day and age immigrants have more rights than British citizens.

No they don't. Evidence?
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    A asylum hostel was put up near my house a couple odf years ago and believe you me we havent had life the same since, once a peaceful area we had rape, robbery and a murder in the first 6 months where asylum seekers were all found guilty of..

I don't believe you.
  • Options
    Re: What?
    You're telling me that the immigration issue is nothing when I read about illegal African immigrants mugging British women on their door steps or muslim arabs who are SUPPOSED TO BE "BRITISH CITIZENS" being found with a ton of explosive in their homes?

Evidence? And don't believe everything you read in the papers.

You don't speak for me or anyone I know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by solo

So? Its hardly their fault is it? And what "failed states" are you talking about anyway?

Read this
    http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/infocentre/faqs/faqs001.htm
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    QUOTE]Let me point out in more detail the effect of the racist agendas the S*n and the Daily Mosley have in this country.

Oh come on mate.

Racist agendas??? ][/QUOTE]

Yup. The Daily Mail has a long history of supporting fascism. It supported Mosley and Hitler in the 30's. It hasn't changed much.

Originally posted by RWB
    It is actually, youd be surprised how much extra you can make thieving and mugging as well :D;)

Now that is a racist statement.
  • Options
    I'm constantly surprised how much blatent rasism the imigration issue brings up.

In real terms imigration does not cost this country very much money, it is only really an issue because its a useful one to sell papers.

However I might point out that because our birth rate is so low and emigration is quite high we NEED people to move here! In the coming years this country will need more and more immigration because we wont be having enough kids, as will pretty much all of western Europe, especialy Italy where the birth rate is really really low.

Yes of course there are some immigrants that are involved in crime etc. However there are lots of natives that are also involved in crime, whatever a native is anyway, there is really no such thing as a Britain, if you look into anyones DNA and they will be a mongrel, a mix from all over.
  • Options
    Re: What?
    Go home Alladin, you speak for NONE OF US.

:lol:

Well I have agreed with just about everything he has said so far idiot boy so I guess that makes you wromg doesn't it?

And if you are wormg on that maybe you are wrong with other things as well?

I wonder..............
  • Options
    Its also somewhat odd to tell someone on an internet chat room to go home, they quite probably are already.
  • Options
    Re: immigration
    People who say to me that immigrants of various nationalities enrich and make England's culture better are idiots because these immigrants are not enriching British culture but ERASING it.

Do you know what 'British' culture is? How is it that it is being erased by asylum seekers exactly?

For example - the fox hunting issue.

As far as I am aware this 'time honoured British pursuit' is being pushed to a ban by predominantly middle-class white MPs elected by lower/middle class urban and suburrban vuters, not asylum seekers, weird!

Not in fact that I would say that something as banal as foxhunting could define British culture.

I think more would suggest that there are certain vlaues which characterise british culture (though I wouldn't agree with that either) few of which you seem to display.

maybe it is people like you who are destroying British culture, you don't seem very cultured at all to me...........
    I have nothing against allowing immigrants to enter the UK to make a legitimate living for themselves but the flow has to be controlled and monitored vigarously and not in the pathetic manner that Labour are doing now. When I hear about the police making a £2bn drugs bust organised by asylum seekers (a recent occurance), I am enraged. Catching British drug dealers is a problem, and one that is made no easier by the increasing number of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers involving themselves in the drugs industry.

£2billion? You sure? IF you support immigrants coming to make a living then you must accept that a certain number, like that from any population will be criminals, this is something you have to deal with.

A certain number of tourists will be criminals, should we stop tourists, or spend vast sums of money monitoring all tourists?

Think perhaps of the huge number of police officers who are from an iimgrant background and the work they do to prevent crime......
This discussion has been closed.