Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Margaret Thatcher has died

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If they weren't awful they would understand it was an reaction to her nature, and so wouldn't be upset.
  • Options
    Dometuba wrote: »
    I can remember

I can remember children getting rickets since the milk snatcher did her work. that was in the 2000s
  • Options
    No, for being deeply unpleasant people in their own right.

:yes:
  • Options
    She's not getting a state funeral.

That argument is mere pedantry.

She's getting a ceremonial burial costing £10,000,000.00. Approximately £1 for every northerner whose life she ruined.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    How do you know every single one of her relatives are so horrible?

Her daughter is a racist and her son is an arms-dealer who attempted to stage a coup in Equatorial Guinea.

Fuck them both, right up the arse. I'm going to be watching the funeral just to watch them blub like babies.
  • Options
    Red Ken has put up a 'breaking the deification' article on the Granuiad if you're interested in that kind of thing.

One thing I don't like actually is recalling parliament - an act normally reserved for a crisis such as war breaking out. It's plainly DC leveraging the government for political ends. Is that even allowed?
  • Options
    I can't be bothered celebrating... Have been seeing a lot of sexism and sexist language from people who would throw a fit if they heard homophobic or racist language. It's mildly annoying, but unsurprising. Also, I just don't see the point in celebrating things like death, weddings, birth in a way which puts people on a pedestool.

I don't care if she's dead or not and don't really care for her family either. That's not my problem. What I take issue with is that subsequent parties were shitty too.... UK governments have a history or being shitty to other nations and their own people, probably like most countries do.

That said, I was born in 1983 and if I had been fighting her policies as an adult when she was in government, I may feel different.

Still, hope it brings joy to people who celebrate it and hope nobody gets badly hurt doing it.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    One thing I don't like actually is recalling parliament - an act normally reserved for a crisis such as war breaking out. It's plainly DC leveraging the government for political ends. Is that even allowed?

Of course it is allowed, because Ed Milibean is such a wet useless twat that he agreed to it.
  • Options
    I damn well hope that single goes to number one and I hope she makes good compost.

There I said it. Don't care if you feel differently, frankly hope people throw eggs at her funeral carriage. Will tony Blair be getting the same treatment? Yes! Possibly even more so. This isn't about party politics it's about them being shitty people with shitty ideals.
  • Options
    The rights to the song "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" are owned by EMI.

You keep buying that single.
  • Options
    I wonder if there will be such celebrations when Arthur Scargill dies?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that NUM members were balloted for strike action. Despite likely support for a strike before it occurred, and the obvious support afterwards, an interesting erosion of democracy within a trade union. Previous NUM leaders had ignored the results of ballots concerning wage reform.

Following the miners strike, he became "lifetime president" of the NUM, but with many candidates alleging little time to prepare, and other allegations make hairs on the back of my neck tingle.

Thatcher was not a gold plated woman who appealed to everyone, she seems to be equally liked as much as despised. Whilst I find some of the comments about Thatcher to be despicable in my eyes, people are entitled to those opinions through genuine grievances with the actions she took. I'm concerned a little bit with the amount of vitriol from the people who went out and danced at parties (some of whom never lived under a Thatcher government), but I'm more concerned at the teachers who have been organising some of these parties. Yes they may consider her to be a vile and evil woman, but if that is your opinion and you are a teacher, teach the children what happened and let them make their own minds up. I personally don't think it is the place of a teacher to get involved with running around a street organising parties and celebrating in such a manner.

Getting back to the Arthur Scargill bit, yes Maggie is considered by many to be evil, but don't forget that Scargill was hardly the model of perfection either. The strikes were referred to as "Scargills" strikes when in fact it was miners at a mine in Yorkshire that first walked out of their own accord before any ballot action took place. Bob Crow to me is the modern day version of Scargill. They are the figureheads of important organisations that whilst aiming to be for the benefit of their members, often come across as self serving for their own needs just as often if not more than the very politicians they supposedly despise. Also, don't get me started about the stories of Scargill trying to get money out of Moscow to finance the fight against Thatcher.
  • Options
    The rights to the song "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" are owned by EMI.

You keep buying that single.

What happened to songs being in the public domain after 50 years anyway? Does that just mean that you can remix it without permission?
  • Options
    It seems the song "I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher" is surging up the iTunes chart as we speak.
  • Options
    I can remember rubbish piled high in the streets, inflation at 26%, record numbers of unemployed and the dead left unburied. That was in the late 70s.

I'm that old too. Consequently I also remember that unemployment massively increased after her election and that she took us into a recession. Rose tints do not change the reality. The Labour Govt that she replaced was poor and struggling, it needed replacing. Don't pretend that she's some kind of goddess.

Remember, as the Tory platitudes roll in, the party loved her so much that they stabbed her in the back and removed her from office.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm way too young for all of this, I just don't think its right saying such nasty stuff about someone who's dead. She was a pretty fragile old woman too. Oh well
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    She was a pretty fragile old woman too.

She was not.
  • Options
    She was not.

I think she was on about when she died BA
  • Options
    She was not.

She was in the end.

As the Ash Wednesday rituals have it, whoever you are, "Remember, O man, that thou art dust, and to dust shalt thou return".
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I think she was on about when she died BA

Fair enough, but I really can not comprehend the whole "we must respect her- she is dead" thing. I just don't get it. Why, just because someone has died, do they instantly gain respect and sympathy? If I did terrible things, I wouldn't expect people to grieve for me.
  • Options
    I think there is a marked but subtle difference between showing respect in the case of a frail old woman dying, and not making yourself look like an insensitive person (despite what they may have done), and actually respecting someone and grieving for them.
  • Options
    She hasn't suddenly gained the respect of people cos she died. You should just have respect for the dead in general imo.
  • Options
    I dont think you should necessarily have respect for the dead, just be respectful. Subtle difference, but still a difference. Neither of which many seem to be able to grasp.
  • Options
    I dont think you should necessarily have respect for the dead, just be respectful. Subtle difference, but still a difference. Neither of which many seem to be able to grasp.

this is what i was trying to say, i'm too tired :P thank you :)
  • Options

This
  • Options
    Respect to for the guys from the North East Miners association who made the trip all the way to London for that protest. They came a long way for it. Just a bit of a damp squib with the numbers that turned up, I honestly thought there would be more.
  • Options
    I had no respect for her when she was alive so why would I have respect for her now she's dead? For her children, the racist and the warmonger? The only sad thing is they're not burying Mark Thatcher too.

I hate all this "show respect" bullshit. I'll show respect to the funeral cortege when the Thatcher thieves pay for it themselves. As it stands I've paid for her fucking coffin so I've ever right to march up and piss all over it.
  • Options
    I had no respect for her when she was alive so why would I have respect for her now she's dead? For her children, the racist and the warmonger? The only sad thing is they're not burying Mark Thatcher too.

I hate all this "show respect" bullshit. I'll show respect to the funeral cortege when the Thatcher thieves pay for it themselves. As it stands I've paid for her fucking coffin so I've ever right to march up and piss all over it.

So much love for this post. :heart:
  • Options
    sure you have the right, but it would mean you're being extremely disrespectful, and hence a dick.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    sure you have the right, but it would mean you're being extremely disrespectful, and hence a dick.

But why does not respecting her make someone a dick? Why should someone change their opinion of her, and act with respect now she is dead?