Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Margaret Thatcher has died

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Her death is not a celebration though. She died peacefully, at 87, in a hotel room at the Ritz costing four grand a night, money which she stole from the poor and vulnerable. I can't take much joy from that at all, although I may be watching the funeral just to see Mark Thatcher cry.

oh Kermit :heart:
  • Options
    Well I'm sure the EU rebate that she won, has more than enough covered the cost of her funeral.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Imagine, without her we wouldn't have soft ice cream!
    Not that I like soft ice cream, but still.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Well I'm sure the EU rebate that she won, has more than enough covered the cost of her funeral.
    I'm pretty sure she spent all that on benefits for the 1.3m increase in unemployed people (in England) during her tenure. Unsurprisingly, more than 100% of that increase occurred in the North, with the South actually seeing a small increase in employment under Thatcher. Despite her reputation, government expenditure actually rose under Thatcher, as the cost of paying people to sit around all day doing nothing turned out to be more than subsidizing a few inefficient industries. But at least unemployed people don't have unions, eh?
  • Options
    Heard ruminations that there are plans afoot to rename Port Stanley to Port Margaret. I guess there will be plenty of people in the north of England unhappy about that.
  • Options
    Heard ruminations that there are plans afoot to rename Port Stanley to Port Margaret. I guess there will be plenty of people in the north of England unhappy about that.

Couldn't give a toss, and it's really no surprise that there are rumours, except to note:

The place is actually called Stanley, typical of the British to get it wrong even when fighting for the place ;)
    Stanley was the surname of an individual so surely "Thatcher" would be better
    The Islanders actually just refer to it as "Town" so it won't actually make any difference
  • Options
    Actually, coming back on that point.

Just as I am troubled by the demonisation and celebrations following her death, I am also sickened by the deification and glorification of her too. She was neither the best PM ever, nor the second coming of Hitler. That polls taken in the last couple of days show that its a 52/48% split on whether she was a "good/great" PM just underlines that.

The only true thing of note, which makes her truly different, is the fact that she was our first female PM. She's not the longest serving, she didn't record the most terms, not the only never to have lost an election as Leader of her party...

Just a perspective.

(NB for the record, Cameron has now served longer than Brown...)
  • Options
    The other thing of note is soft scoop ice cream.

That and first and so far only PM clearly make it worth celebrating.

With sauce and sprinkle.s.
  • Options
    Soft scoop ice-cream?
  • Options
  • Options
    The Russell Brand article about her in the granuiad is my favourite article so far, less hyper critical or hyper praising of her policies and more introspective about her being.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The other thing of note is soft scoop ice cream.
    I said it first :p
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The Russell Brand article about her in the granuiad is my favourite article so far, less hyper critical or hyper praising of her policies and more introspective about her being.

linky linky please?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    linky linky please?

http://bit.ly/10QW9CF
  • Options
    Now things like that really annoy me, I found that to be a rather well balanced and thought out piece of text. Annoying how it's written by someone who often comes across (to me anyway) as being a complete twat.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    is it usual for a PM to get a state funeral? Or is it cos she was made a baroness?

She's not getting a state funeral.
  • Options
    93 pits were closed under Labour. Only 22 were closed by the Conservatives under Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Now things like that really annoy me, I found that to be a rather well balanced and thought out piece of text. Annoying how it's written by someone who often comes across (to me anyway) as being a complete twat.

He even comes up with a fitting epitaph - she either told you off, or sold you off.
  • Options
    Dometuba wrote: »
    She's not getting a state funeral.

"The official line from Buckingham Palace and Downing Street is that Margaret Thatcher is not being granted a state funeral. And it is true that the Baroness will not lie in state at Westminster Hall, as Sir Winston Churchill did almost 50 years ago.
    In almost every other respect, however, this is the real thing. Next Wednesday, her body will be taken by gun carriage from St Clement Danes in the Strand, down Fleet Street and into St Paul?s Cathedral.
    There will be a gun salute at the Tower of London. And the cost of the event will be borne in large part by the taxpayer. Most important of all, the Queen is to attend.
    If something looks, smells and tastes like a state funeral, then it is reasonable to conclude that it is one. The truth is that Lady Thatcher is getting very similar treatment to Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997 or the Queen Mother in 2002."

Source: The telegraph.
  • Options
    Even long before her death there was talk of a state funeral: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034634/Lady-Thatcher-honoured-State-funeral.html
  • Options
    Margaret deserves a state funeral having modernised this country and breaking us free fronm the destructive power of the unions.
  • Options
    Dometuba wrote: »
    Margaret deserves a state funeral having modernised this country and breaking us free fronm the destructive power of the unions.

Oh dear...
  • Options
    Oh dear...

I can remember rubbish piled high in the streets, inflation at 26%, record numbers of unemployed and the dead left unburied. That was in the late 70s.
  • Options
    I wholeheartedly disagree with any support for Thatcher. That is my opinion, it always has been and always will be. My dad was alive throughout the Thatcher times and has nothing but bad memories and hatred for her and her government.

It all depends on your wealth, your class, and where you lived just like most things in life.
  • Options
    Neddy wrote: »
    Because, like anyone else, she has close friends and relatives who are still alive

Upsetting her relatives would be a good reason to have street parties
  • Options
    Upsetting her relatives would be a good reason to have street parties

For daring to be related to her?
  • Options
    Mrs Thatcher may have been the first woman PM, but she chose to fulfil that role by being more manly than the men - and because of her I doubt the populace will trust another woman for another generation at least. In general women are held to be a conciliatory force in politics, preferring cooperation and consensus - while there is a "c" word I'll use to describe her, it isn't any of those three.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    For daring to be related to her?

No, for being deeply unpleasant people in their own right.
  • Options
    I wonder how much the bed Mrs T died in would go for at auction?
  • Options
    No, for being deeply unpleasant people in their own right.

How do you know every single one of her relatives are so horrible?