Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Selling PS3 on ebay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I've got the chance to pick up a PS3 with a 30% discount (through work). Do you reckon it'd be worthwhile buying it and whacking it on ebay to see if I'd make a profit on it?

Comments

• Options
    how much would you be saving?
  • Options
    Would be about 180 quid or so on a 600 pound unit.
  • Options
    I'd go for it if you can afford to live without the money for a while..

ETA: Dont forget to take into account the sellers and paypal fees
  • Options
    people struggled to make the asking prices on jap/us machines, and with being multiregion i thought this was a bit odd, the demand just wasnt there as with the Wii.

it'd be a risk, but with your discount off you should at least make RRP.
  • Options
    I can't remember a console that didn't sell out the initial shipment, so you should at least make the retail price.
  • Options
    There's already some guy trying to sell a PS3 for £999 on Amazon.

You'll probably make a profit but the moaning git inside me says that if you don't really want to keep the console, why not let someone who'll actually wants it buy the thing?
  • Options
    Don't listen to the moaning git inside you, you know it's a good opportunity to make a buck :) If I do sell it the person who gets it won't pay much more than the asking price anyway. If I do put it up, it'll be at the RRP :) Anyway, not decided yet, just testing the waters.
  • Options
    I'm not sure you would make much on this one. Could be wrong, obviously.

The shifted release date and the high initial price of the unit will probably mean that supply is pretty high compared to demand.

But you could get lucky and find a gullible smuch willing to dish out mega bucks.
  • Options
    There may be someone selling a ps3 for 999 on Amazon, but there's also someone selling a jap PS3 (as someone mentioned the games are region free) with a power converter on ebay - and only made £100 so far...

Given the xbox 360 is so imbedded now in Europe and everyone knows the inital ps3 release games are shite (yes Resistance, you scrawny boring shooter, I'm looking at you) it might be worth thinking about this seriously. You'd need to make sure you get the console before the offical release to make any serious money, and that it's one of the pre-release UK models.

I reckon you'd probably come close to the RRP if it was a european model and you had it in the next week or two. Any longer than that or not a UK model, well you might be surprised and disappointed by what you make - like others I'm not convinced this is automatically going to sell out, or that any real demand exsists.

Oh and I think ebay has instituted a policy for ps3 on ebay.co.uk - you will have to have a console in your hand to photograph or the listing will be pulled.

Don't expect the kind of crazy Wii or Xbox 360 price rush.