Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Margaret Thatcher has died

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with me being left or right. You are being very ignorant now and saying everyone with a dissenting opinion is part of the leftie homogeneous mob.

One could hardly lay claim to 'dissent' by taking a negative view on Thatcher's state funeral. The current state of affairs is akin to an all-you-can-eat buffet: one gets to be as crass and esurient as possible, yet still have ones friends clap them on the back and chalk up more good ol' boy points.

I caught a meme going around unabashedly claiming that the £10m from Thatcher's funeral could be better spent offsetting the cuts to the Arts Council - £11.5m, I believe. This, on the very day it's reported the Arts Council just spunked away £500k on, ironically, an installation of six mile high steam that never got off the ground.

I dislike Thatcher with as much vehemence as the best of the them, but there's no excuse for abandoning sense to score a few cheap points.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what annoys the left more, that she did bad things in their eyes? Or did good things in the eyes of (and remains appreciated by) much of the right.
  • Options
    I caught a meme going around unabashedly claiming that the £10m from Thatcher's funeral could be better spent offsetting the cuts to the Arts Council - £11.5m, I believe.

This has especially irked me, it *has* to have been started by some luvvie somewhere who thinks that art is the most important thing in humanity. No-one outside the industry really gives enough of a shit to make such an inane comparison.

Compare with nurses, disability benefits, the cut in funding for pauper funerals... then the point might actually carry some vestige of relevance.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I'm not sure what annoys the left more, that she did bad things in their eyes? Or did good things in the eyes of (and remains appreciated by) much of the right.

The former, totally. I haven't actually seen any comments complaining about the fact that her policies benefitted certain sectors, more that they had a huge social cost. Read her memoirs and you'll find that not only didn't she care about that, she actually thought it a price worth paying.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    My family don't live in a wealthy or rural area :thumb:

Her housing policy is the reason my nan was able to buy her family home off of the council and not get kicked out for having too many rooms when all her kids moved out. I wasn't even born when she was in power but my parents have said how she did a lot of good in this country. Yes people did suffer but she pulled the country out of a pretty shit time caused by Labour.
  • Options
    I think this sums things up for both sides nicely.

http://huff.to/17hZWMO
  • Options
    Annarrr, you DO realise she'd only "be kicked out of her house for having too many bedrooms" because of Thatcher and her modern-day spawn of Satan don't you? There are morons who work hard and vote Conservative- my parents are two of them- without ever grasping that the reason they get rodgered up the arse at every budget is because of the filth they voted in.

G-Raffe, that's always the pathetic argument the pathetic right settle with: left-wingers are only about the politics of envy. It is mostly complete and utter nonsense. I have no problem at all with people earning lots and lots of money, but they key word in that statement is "earn". Thatcher's cronies didn't earn a single penny; the bitch simply stole the cash from the poor and vulnerable and handed it to them on a gold plate.

I don't like the way things revert to party politics here though. Labour are just as Thatcherite as the Conservative Cunts. They're all filth and that's why they'll all be there tomorrow, merrily spunking away over the thieving bitch's casket.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    No because Thatcher bought in the chance to buy the council houses from the council.

The stuff you're saying is actually disgusting.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    No because Thatcher bought in the chance to buy the council houses from the council.

Yes but she created the NEED to buy them with other threats, such as eviction.
  • Options
    Annarrr, you DO realise she'd only "be kicked out of her house for having too many bedrooms" because of Thatcher and her modern-day spawn of Satan don't you? There are morons who work hard and vote Conservative- my parents are two of them- without ever grasping that the reason they get rodgered up the arse at every budget is because of the filth they voted in.

G-Raffe, that's always the pathetic argument the pathetic right settle with: left-wingers are only about the politics of envy. It is mostly complete and utter nonsense. I have no problem at all with people earning lots and lots of money, but they key word in that statement is "earn". Thatcher's cronies didn't earn a single penny; the bitch simply stole the cash from the poor and vulnerable and handed it to them on a gold plate.

I don't like the way things revert to party politics here though. Labour are just as Thatcherite as the Conservative Cunts. They're all filth and that's why they'll all be there tomorrow, merrily spunking away over the thieving bitch's casket.

:heart:
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I think this sums things up for both sides nicely.

http://huff.to/17hZWMO

I think this deserves another airing. Does a good job of showing both sides.
  • Options

It's an argument both sides use, not just the right.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Amusingly the Daily Heil fully celebrated the death of Osama Bin Laden. But then we all know Conservative Party supporters are all mentally unstable hypocrites.

You don't have to go that far back. Many of the same commenters that are now faux outraged at the criticism of Thatcher were cheering when Hugo Chavez died just over a month earlier. Hell, I'm surprised that no-one's proposed embalming her corpse and displaying it to the public.
  • Options
    The longer this thing goes on, the angrier I am. So many cuts. Unavoidable cuts. But we've got a cool 10mil stashed to one side for a ceremonial funeral. Where the fuck did they find that? Check for change behind the benches in the commons?

Picc was saying her friend on benefits had to pay for his mum's funeral, he had to get a benefits loan to sort it out. That's the country we're in now. That's her legacy.
  • Options
  • Options
    One could hardly lay claim to 'dissent' by taking a negative view on Thatcher's state funeral. The current state of affairs is akin to an all-you-can-eat buffet: one gets to be as crass and esurient as possible, yet still have ones friends clap them on the back and chalk up more good ol' boy points.

What I meant was that Neddy has just seemed to troll the thread calling anyone who doesn't offer unashamed praise part of some sinister leftist movement.

I think anyone who had been reading what I'd written would see it was quite measured. Unless of course someone is trawling the thread looking for bits of hyperbole to pick up and point score.
  • Options
    Also agree with what Arctic says about the tendency to try to reduce discussion to party politics 'ah well you would think that because you probably support labour so ergo your point is invalid'.

Voted lib dem btw. How I regret that.
  • Options
    Also agree with what Arctic says about the tendency to try to reduce discussion to party politics 'ah well you would think that because you probably support labour so ergo your point is invalid'.

Voted lib dem btw. How I regret that.

Haha, yeah I voted LibDem as well. We couldn't have known! :D
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »

You should have a read of this report from the GMB: http://www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/landlords-own-40-percent-ex-council-houses

40% of ex-council houses are now owned by landlords, many of whom are investment bankers owning them through trusts registered in tax havens. There's one bloke in Wandsworth who owns 93 of the buggers; it's safe to say he probably has similar housing stocks in many other London boroughs. Thatcher enabled him to sweep up property worth tens of millions of pounds, all at knock-down rates subsidised by London taxpayers.

The reality is that right-to-buy, far from being a way of protecting people, is a way of exploiting them for the benefit of the rich. 30 years ago these houses were rented at cheap rates from the council, with a type of tenancy that meant you could really only be evicted if you didn't pay the rent. Now they're still being rented out, at sky-high rates paid to some fat cat City banker, with the type of tenancy that means you can be evicted, without a reason, with as little as two months' notice.

And now the Conservative Cunts try to claim that the rising housing benefit bill is the fault of poor people who should just work harder, or pay extra for a spare bedroom. No, as always the real root cause is the Conservative Cunts and their troughing fat cat friends in big business. But I guess blaming the poor and vulnerable and blaming immigrants is much easier.

I hate Thatcher. I hate Thatcherism. I hate anyone who says she was a wonderful woman. This is not hyperbole. I want to believe in hell just so that I can sleep easy knowing that thieving bitch will be burning for all eternity.

As for the funeral, the fact the Conservative Cunts can find ten million quid to bury the war criminal's bestest friend with all her bestest war criminal mates spunking over the corpse, says everything. Especially when us plebs have to suffer the indignity of a Public Health Funeral- essentially dumping a body in a cardboard box and chucking it in a ditch- because "there's no money".
  • Options

Assuming you mean you didn't know that they'd be in coalition with the Tories I'd have said you probably should have known. Nick Clegg was clear before the election that the LDs would give first chance to the largest party and all the polls suggested the Tories would be the largest party (even if not a majority). So come election day it was obvious that either the LDs would be in opposition to a Tory Govt (and wouldn't get any of their manifesto promises through), would support it on a vote by vote basis (and in exchange might get a very few things through or some amendments added in), or at best would be in coalition with the Tories (which means they get more of their committments through and many more amendments to Tory led legislation).

I can't see how anyone voting LD could have expected anything else (no matter what they wished)

Plus its hard to feel sorry for LD voters who voted for a party that supports PR and therefore pretty much continous coalition Govt feeling hard done by the fact that coalition Government doesn't give them everything they want and means they sometimes have to support things they don't.

Of course you could mean something else entirely with your comment... in which case evrything I said is balderdash :D
  • Options
    What I meant was that Neddy has just seemed to troll the thread calling anyone who doesn't offer unashamed praise part of some sinister leftist movement.

I think anyone who had been reading what I'd written would see it was quite measured. Unless of course someone is trawling the thread looking for bits of hyperbole to pick up and point score.

Whilst I think his point was uneccessary hyperbole and I think your comments have been measured its hard to look at Neddy and say he's been ignorant whilst ignoring the posts which suggest people who vote Tory should burn in hell...
  • Options
    Neddy basically said that anyone who doesn't love Maggie T is just jealous.

Yeah, right.

In other news, this photo has had me weeping with laughter all afternoon

Attachment not found.
  • Options
    Of course you could mean something else entirely with your comment... in which case evrything I said is balderdash :D

I was referring to what they've been up to since they've had a share of the power - mainly rebranding themselves as Nick '180 Degree' Clegg and the U-turn Gang. :D
  • Options

I'm in safe company then. It's a relief to finally come out!
  • Options
    i voted lib dem too, and as a result, I have no faith in democracy any more and will never bother voting again.

Pankhurst wouldnt have bothered if she knew this is all it meant
  • Options
    i voted lib dem too, and as a result, I have no faith in democracy any more and will never bother voting again.

I'm really torn, because I don't know that withdrawing my vote will have a positive difference.

Then again, I'm not sure it would make any difference either way. I have always been very engaged with politics and this climate is making me apathetic.
  • Options
    its a farce. Im not supporting it. Each party is the same
  • Options

Shyboy, yours posts may have been well measured until this one, which is frankly, unadulterated rubbish (polite)

I have said repeatedly that you are allowed to air your opinions on Thatchers policies, legacy etc. You are allowed to dislike and disagree with her. As most people in this thread have....that's fair enough, but Arctic Roll took it way way way too far, and that is what i objected to.....

the vile personal abuse, and the concept that one woman can single handedly destroy half the country. That is hyperbole of the highest order and it wasn't me that was peddling it.

AR and others have been having a "who can be the nastiest **** competition" and somehow labelling it as "debate". Yeah right....

For the record, I have not once in my life voted conservative. My opinion on Thatcher is that she got some things right and some things wrong in what was a very difficult time to govern the UK. Is that unashamed praise? :eek2:
  • Options
    Neddy basically said that anyone who doesn't love Maggie T is just jealous.

Ironically this made me weep with laughter.

How on earth have you drawn that conclusion?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    It's a relief to finally come out!

Spose you'll be telling us you're a lesbian next !