Home Politics & Debate
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

God?

24

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You didn't really answer the question, who is the modern prophet? And as an additional, why is (s)he to be trusted?

    You have the question.....you now have the link. Don't be lazy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    The people on here, swearing when there are people who
    are asking for help, are acting very childish and inconsiderate.

    Grow up.

    Also, let this reflect the competence of the moderation.

    Swearing is subjective and can be unhelpful, that's true.

    Derailing a thread to push an agenda is equally unhelpful to the OP, though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    You have the question.....you now have the link. Don't be lazy.

    I've looked at the link, it is not clear. This is your point of view, you want to change minds. You say we're childish, but I'm trying STILL to understand, and you've called me lazy.

    I'm sick of it. No-one else wants to play anymore fluxed. Answer questions, learn to debate, or go away.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You will always have people who will question the modern prophet and his substance.

    I would rather trust a man who does not live in luxury or palaces,
    but within his means. A man who tells us substantial facts about
    the monarchy and the truth of our history.

    He also makes predictions about the governments ,which have all be proven true.

    It is a simple choice - the monarchy or a normal man.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sings "Billy, Billy, who the f*** is Billy?"

    Apparently the modern prophet is Billy Meier, a psychic who retains contacts with extra-terrestrial beings who tell him how earthlings should act in order to return to their care. Apparently he's also transcribed the conversations he's had with these beings (rather like how the Bible was written, transcription by humans) and has taken some of the clearest UFO pictures ever.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote: »
    Swearing is subjective and can be unhelpful, that's true.

    Derailing a thread to push an agenda is equally unhelpful to the OP, though.

    Agenda? show me where i derail?

    What have you to offer?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    He also makes predictions about the governments ,which have all be proven true.

    Like what?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    Agenda? show me where i derail?

    What have you to offer?

    Piccolo has already answered the OP with regards to her ponderings about depression and religion. Where do you mention depression and its effect on faith in your posts?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    Agenda? show me where i derail?

    You arfe so fucking dumb. This thread is about the OPs relationship with God, as i said in my previous post until some sad fucking twat comes along and derails it wanking his nut again about the masons, monarchy and the fucking Egyptians.

    I'm trying to work out if you're trolling, mentally ill or just a fucking prick.

    And don't go on about childish, you started throwing insults e.g. div a long time ago you dick.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When i first got depressed religion was something i thought about tbh, while its good when your feeling bad and let down by the world you feel like saying if there was someone like god why don't they help me now?
    I think religion to everyone is different in a sense. Personally i have 'a' faith. I believe we all have someone watching over us who wishes to protect and guide us, which may be a super being or in fact my be a creation of our imaginations, but does it really matter as i think if you believe something is there to guide and support you it will be and will stay with you. Even if it is not 'real' it still has the power to make some people feel secured and protected and guided. To me that's all that really matters. In some of my lowest times this faith i am not alone has kept me going. Although i admit recently it has faltered slightly.
    The religion as a whole i do try to go to churches for company and they are usually a welcoming community. But have been kicked out of them for the way me family was and me sexuality.
    I really do believe religion is a personal thing and differs between people.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    You arfe so fucking dumb. This thread is about the OPs relationship with God, as i said in my previous post until some sad fucking twat comes along and derails it wanking his nut again about the masons, monarchy and the fucking Egyptians.

    I'm trying to work out if you're trolling, mentally ill or just a fucking prick.

    And don't go on about childish, you started throwing insults e.g. div a long time ago you dick.

    Show me the derail, which is not to do with god.....womble?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    Show me the derail, which is not to do with god.....womble?

    They just did.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Today, my dad told me that if i didnt turn to god then i would be miseerable forever. he also told me that i deserve to be this miserable...


    my own father thinks i deserve to wish i was never born...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think when people are part of organised religion they adopt a lot of its values and principles, which was a common thing many years ago.
    No one deserves to feel horrible and miserable and being forced to turn to god wont make you believe. I know he's your dad but tbh don't listen to what he's saying its rubbish.

    And i don't get half the posts on here are about, kinda hoping its not just me :L
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fluxed wrote: »
    Show me the derail, which is not to do with god.....womble?

    crack maggot
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    AliceF wrote: »
    Today, my dad told me that if i didnt turn to god then i would be miseerable forever. he also told me that i deserve to be this miserable...


    my own father thinks i deserve to wish i was never born...

    He's wrong. Piccolo is planning a more considered reply. But until then. He's wrong, very very wrong.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I come from a fairly staunch Christian upbringing and my eldest brother is, in fact, a pastor.

    However, I lost my faith in Christianity after a number of years as a energetic believer in my late teens and early twenties.

    After a LOT of searching in other religions, I have come to the conclusion that there is NO god, or certainly, not one that is aware, or cares, for what happens on Earth. In other words, the 6000+ gods that are followed on Earth are just hollow gestures by our forebears at trying to understand our life, purpose and the universe.

    Just because we don't have answers (such as what came before the Big Bang etc) doesn't mean that 'God did it'. It just means we do not, and may never, currently understand the processes that brought our universe into being.

    Arguing that because we cannot prove there is no god is as silly as trying to prove there are no unicorns or fairies. The onus is on a benevolent being, who is purportedly to be on 'our side', to prove their existence.

    So what, therefore, is the meaning of life? There is no 'meaning'. Life just is. Our advantage as human beings with critical thought etc, is to cherish this planet and all the life on it, not for any gain the afterlife, but just because the natural world is just so freakin' awesome. :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    AliceF wrote: »
    Today, my dad told me that if i didnt turn to god then i would be miseerable forever. he also told me that i deserve to be this miserable...


    my own father thinks i deserve to wish i was never born...

    I have been an atheist for about 5 years and I have NEVER been happier. If you ever want a more in depth chat, let me know.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have been an atheist for about 5 years and I have NEVER been happier. If you ever want a more in depth chat, let me know.

    With all due respect, if I started proselytising here about my faith I would rightly be asked to stop. This thread is about talking through some philosophical and relational questions the OP has not about converting people.

    Alice, all I can really add is to agree with Swaggy, people are very short-sighted about their own faith and often can't understand why someone would choose something different. I'm sure your dad doesn't mean to hurt you
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote: »
    With all due respect, if I started proselytising here about my faith I would rightly be asked to stop. This thread is about talking through some philosophical and relational questions the OP has not about converting people.

    Fair comment, piccolo, although I was not intending to proselytise here, just more to offer her some hope that if she does lose her faith because of her experiences, there is nothing to despair about. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think when considering the implications of believing in god or not, are entirely subjective on whether you believed in god or not in the first place. Such questions as the meaning of life might not be able to be answered, as not all questions are. Just because we can come up with a question or a hypothesis, doesn't mean an answer exists, or is able to be answered on this plane of existence. Perhaps we as a race (humanity) massively over complicate things. We can formulate and assess all we want, but until we know the unknowns, then things will remain exactly that, unknown.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whether it will have a good or bad effect on your life should be completely immaterial to the question of whether there's a god or not. You can't force yourself to believe something that you don't purely because it might benefit you in some way. You can force yourself to pretend, of course, and no doubt some people in the world do that (in some places, what you believe can severely affect your life prospects).

    Equally, whether good or bad things happen in the world is also immaterial to the question of whether there is a god. It's only relevant if you presume a god that not only gives a continuing shit about the thing it's created, but is also moral rather than amoral or even immoral (as we'd understand it). But, of course, these questions can easily become an issue when talking about a particular god you might believe in. After all, there isn't a religion in the world (to my knowledge) that doesn't presume that their god is not only moral, but the definition of morality. And then the difficult questions for those particular gods become issues of child and animal suffering, as well as natural disasters, none of which can be explained away as examples of humans fucking it up themselves.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Just because we can come up with a question or a hypothesis, doesn't mean an answer exists, or is able to be answered on this plane of existence.

    Just because we can come up with a question doesn't mean the question makes sense. I could equally ask "What is the meaning of yellow?" There's nothing profound about it.

    The "meaning of life" is simply a loaded question that presupposes an intelligent creator, since to have a meaning, you need to have something/one with intentions. That's why we can ask about the meaning of a painting, but we can't ask about the meaning of a tree.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If there is not a meaning to life, no purpose, no point, and this world is as shit as it is for me and so many others at the moment, then I have no reason to live..
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That sounds quite troubling, just because we don't know "the meaning to life" doesn't mean their is or isn't a meaning. Also, I'm worried that someone would place or value their life in the hands of something that might not be there. Live your life for yourself not anyone else. If there is a meaning to life, and we don't know what it is, how do we know if anything we do has control or meaning over it?

    Perhaps people place too much precedence on things we don't know about, rather than things we do know about.


    Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what i know is that life is shit, and every day i'm fighting to stop me from killing myself, but for what? i may as well just not bother fighting...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is a point to life, and that is to live a full as life as you can. When you think about how improbable your life/existence is, how either through an act of God or some one in a trillion random coincidence, life is a gift. Life can be shit, and it often is for people, but how you react to that makes all the difference. Harming yourself is never going to be the answer, not when you think about deep down about the things worth fighting for. You're only young, yes life is shit now but it won't be forever. Think about all the things you've yet to do and experience, getting having a family, go travelling, meet new people, new experiences. You can be bound by what you think is an inescapable situation and that life isn't worth fighting for, or you can think about what steps you need to do to escape that are positive. Please talk to someone.
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,235 Listening Ear
    Hello,
    Just wanted to let you know I've been in touch with Alice privately.

    Now might be an apt time for people to reflect on what life really means to them...God or no God :)

    Cheers for flagging whowhere.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know its a cliché and I know I'm probably not the best example, but I just think the chances of us even existing when you look at the grand scale of the universe and realise those chances are so infinitesimally small, that there must be a grand design or reason for us to exist at all, and because there is a reason it means we should make the most of it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's a very thought provoking and interesting blog. The topics you're covering are issues that so many people sit and think (or worry!) about at some stage in their life, young and old.

    I've spoken to many people that were brought up in various different religions, that go through life, learn, grow and evolve as individuals and find that their 'life view' no longer fits within the framework or structure imposed on them by their religion. This can be a very confusing and frustrating time, especially when family members cannot relate or understand where you're coming from. :banghead:

    One thing I am discovering for myself, is that life itself tends to throw a number of lessons your way (both good and bad) and you can learn from them all. Some of these lessons will make you question your beliefs, some of them will reinforce your existing beliefs, but the important part of all this is to remember that you are an individual.

    Your life experiences and lessons will shape you as an individual and your view of the world doesn't necessarily have to fit within an existing structure (or religious set of teachings). Try not to feel guilty if some of the things you've noticed in life, or learnt about, don't seem to "fit in" with what you have always been told to be true. This is a perfectly natural part of growing up and developing your personality and individuality. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.