Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Subway

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote: »
    It's less about Subway vs. particular local sandwich shop and more about the really worrying trend of people blindly flocking to the well-known chain because of carefully worded advertising that leads them to believe that this is the thinking person's healthy option which puts them a cut above Joe Bloggs who scoffs McDonalds like it's going out of fashion. It's about identikit, clone high streets. The bigger picture, if you like.

(Cue: "I don't caaaaare, I just want to eat my meatball sub a la Joey from Friends. Snarf, guzzle etc".)

Also, word to those in the NE, one of my pals works in the Grey St Subway and she has warned me in no uncertain terms never to eat there (she won't even take freebies after work etc). This from the girl who will eat in any number of local scuzzy kebab shops. I never asked for the specifics, I have the feeling living in ignorance is bliss :thumb:

Perfectly agree with that, and perfectly agreed with Kermit who mentioned that points as well.

But I do not agree with insulting the people who eat there. Yeah, I can understand his disgruntled state towards subway or fast food chains, but I did not like the way he's slagging off people who eat there (and I did not even feel adressed, since I never had a sub).

That's all.
  • Options
    It's odd though- it's acceptable to "condemn" people who eat at Maccy D's or KFC, but not Subway, as if the processed corporate shite they serve is superior.

People aren't bad people for eating there, but it IS plastic food for plastic people. Fine if you eat it once in a while because there's nowt better (I eat Subway when I'm pissed at 3am as its better than a kebab), but to sit there and claim that its the greatest home-cooked sandwich ever just makes people look stupid.

Subway, along with Starbucks and the rest, are destroying the cities we live in. And that is because of the brainless morons who swallow every last bit of marketing and treat Subway as though its a cut above the rest, and "fresh home-cooked food" when it is blatantly anything but.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    but to sit there and claim that its the greatest home-cooked sandwich ever just makes people look stupid.

Who said that
  • Options
    It's odd though- it's acceptable to "condemn" people who eat at Maccy D's or KFC, but not Subway, as if the processed corporate shite they serve is superior.

I did not do that, and I agree with you that the statements "McD is better/worse for you.", "burger kind is un/healthier for you." are crap, but there is a way to convey this point without insulting people who eat there. I mean, you are just one step before calling names. People post on here that they liked their sub and you go on about "people who eat there are this and that."
    People aren't bad people for eating there, but it IS plastic food for plastic people. Fine if you eat it once in a while because there's nowt better (I eat Subway when I'm pissed at 3am as its better than a kebab), but to sit there and claim that its the greatest home-cooked sandwich ever just makes people look stupid.

This is the same attitude once again. "People aren't bad, but whoever eats there is plastic." I am not sure if I have the right translation for plastic people in my head, but it does sound insulting to me. you are even contradicting yourself in one and the same sentence.
    Subway, along with Starbucks and the rest, are destroying the cities we live in.

This is much better and I agree perfectly to it. Junk Food in total is generally overpriced, not healthy and does not serve a real purpose except to quickly stuff a hole in your tummy.

I'd LOVE to go into a 1 man shop, see how he takes my minced meat, seasons it how I like, puts in the ingredients I like, super fresh and super tasty a burger the size of a car wheel for 2€... Where shall I sign?
  • Options
    The only times I've eaten Subway is at 3am when I've been trollied- its better than a kebab, I suppose.

:eek: Thats blasphemy! :p
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    This is the same attitude once again. "People aren't bad, but whoever eats there is plastic." I am not sure if I have the right translation for plastic people in my head, but it does sound insulting to me. you are even contradicting yourself in one and the same sentence.

Plastic people are corporate faceless people who eat whatever the marketers put in front of them. They're the same people who drink Magners cider since it was advertised on the telly, and will continue to buy whatever the gogglebox tells them is good.

It's not an insult exactly, but it isn't a compliment either. More just an observation. Bland food for bland people.
    I'd LOVE to go into a 1 man shop, see how he takes my minced meat, seasons it how I like, puts in the ingredients I like, super fresh and super tasty a burger the size of a car wheel for 2€... Where shall I sign?

The butcher in my local market does just that. A quater-pound burger, hand-made, for 79p (which is about 1E50.)
  • Options
    If a sandwich is a sandwich then why wank on about how great some plastic tasteless Yank crap is?

You are in error. Subway was started by a group of canadian doctors bent on a crowbar insertion of a healthy fast food option to compete with McDonalds KFC Burger King plastic crap.

I love subway, it's really tasty, if I eat a quarterpounder meal from McD's I feel genuinely unwell. If I eat a foodlong meal deal from subway, I feel full.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You are in error. Subway was started by a group of canadian doctors bent on a crowbar insertion of a healthy fast food option to compete with McDonalds KFC Burger King plastic crap.

I love subway, it's really tasty, if I eat a quarterpounder meal from McD's I feel genuinely unwell. If I eat a foodlong meal deal from subway, I feel full.

I eat something from subway and 30mins later I'm hungry again.

Every morning I worked in durham doing pub deliveries, I'd see a van full of subways supposedly fresh produce (all frozen) being devered

on the other hand I'd watch the nice sandwich shop across the road send staff up the road to the green grocers for genuinely fresh stuff

if theres nowhere nice to be found, I will go to subway,but it annoys me how little cheese they put on their sandwiches with those bloody thin and minute cheese triangles
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

Fine, plastic tasteless fake Yank crap :p

It's better than a Big Mac, but then so are the Maccy D's deli sandwiches.

It isn't as good as just about all independent sandwich shops dotted around the towns and cities of this country. And the problem is that all the good independent local shops, which use local produce fresh each day, are being driven out of town by the huge Subway conglomerate. There are SEVEN Subways in Newcastle, and that is quite frankly ridiculous, and that's where my real ire is.

Edit: Sorry, I miscounted. There are eight.
  • Options
    if you're a plastic person that wants to eat plastic shite,

I'd rather be a plastic person then a rude one like you.

If YOU don't like it fair enough - but don't mouth off other people's choices to such a degree,

Why do you have such a problem simply stating what you like or dislike without slagging others off for their choices?
  • Options
    Can you put your hand on your heart and say that a Subway sandwich is the best sandwich you can buy in your town?

Because I can think of at least six independent sandwich shops in Newcastle that are at least four times as tasty as the plastic rubbish served up by Subway.

Why do you think Subway is good? Because it actually is, or because the adverts tell you that it is "fresh" and "home baked" and all the rest of the nonsensical advertising jargon?

My belief is that people eat Subway because they are told to by the adverts on the telly. They are taken in by the "fresh baked" rubbish (the rolls are part-baked in a huge factory and simply re-heated in store). They abandon the independent cafes, because the corporate brand must be better. It's the same with Starbucks- people abandoning the cafes for Starbucks' bland blend of inoffensive and mediocre coffee. It shows an inability to think for oneself, to be led by the adverts on the telly, and that's the defintion of being plastic.
  • Options
    Do You ever drink at wheather spoons kermit??
  • Options
    I try to avoid to. I normally go to the pub next door, which serves locally-sourced ale, and has won countless CAMRA awards.

I do sometimes go there cause its cheap. Wetherspanks may be a chain but at least they source local ales- certainly the ones in Newcastle and Durham do. I wouldn't go to other chains which serve the same piss (Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters, Magners) because I have better things to do than spend a large amount of money drinking a pint of fizzy sugar.
  • Options
    I dont give a shit how it tastes, because everyone likes different things, but it aint healthy especially - over seasoned, over sauced, but the real problem is ans kermit and briggi say, the over standardisation of every single bloody town in the UK.
    We are losing all the little independent shops, the lovely little cafes close down after a few months, because people want brand name food and coffee like starbucks, costa, subway, mcdonalds, rather than supporting a bit of diversity.
    THATS why its plastic.
    turning every town into plastic town.
    Its like that "little boxes" song from school.
    And theyre all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.
  • Options
    I try to avoid to. I normally go to the pub next door, which serves locally-sourced ale, and has won countless CAMRA awards.

I do sometimes go there cause its cheap. Wetherspanks may be a chain but at least they source local ales- certainly the ones in Newcastle and Durham do. I wouldn't go to other chains which serve the same piss (Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters, Magners) because I have better things to do than spend a large amount of money drinking a pint of fizzy sugar.

Well I can tell You that whetherspoons has completly taken over Essex, thats the chain I'd worry about.
  • Options
    Well I can tell You that whetherspoons has completly taken over Essex, thats the chain I'd worry about.

I seriously doubt that. There are four Wetherspoons branches in Newcastle (two of which are Lloyds, and the third is in a suburb of the city) and they haven't taken over. It depends on whether you focus on branded city centre drinking, or if you prefer drinking locally-brewed beer in a non-chain pub.

Being honest, I don't think it matters whether the pub is chain or not if all you're going to drink is bloody Magners.

The reason why I say Subway is plastic is because of what Suzy says- every single one is the same, a giant green-and-yellow eyesore, and there are hundreds in every city centre. And people flock there because of the advertising and "because they know it". Plastic people unable to think for themselves. What about a bit of imagination? Try the local cafe, its probably better, and cheaper.

Why a city of 190,000 people needs eight different branches of Subway is quite beyond me. But its why every single city in Europe is exactly the same.
  • Options
    I seriously doubt that. There are four Wetherspoons branches in Newcastle (two of which are Lloyds, and the third is in a suburb of the city) and they haven't taken over. It depends on whether you focus on branded city centre drinking, or if you prefer drinking locally-brewed beer in a non-chain pub.

Being honest, I don't think it matters whether the pub is chain or not if all you're going to drink is bloody Magners.

The reason why I say Subway is plastic is because of what Suzy says- every single one is the same, a giant green-and-yellow eyesore, and there are hundreds in every city centre. And people flock there because of the advertising and "because they know it". Plastic people unable to think for themselves. What about a bit of imagination? Try the local cafe, its probably better, and cheaper.

Why a city of 190,000 people needs eight different branches of Subway is quite beyond me. But its why every single city in Europe is exactly the same.

Black is black
  • Options
    :confused:
  • Options

I thought You were goimg to tell Me it was white.
  • Options

The e-numbers in Subway addling your brain or sommat?
  • Options
    Anyone had a quizzimo's? (sp)

Kept seeing adverts on tv when i was on hol. just wondered if that was different to subway?
  • Options
    I've had it once. That was in Germany and I felt rather crap for the rest of the day.:(
  • Options

The e-numbers in Subway addling your brain or sommat?

You disagree with every thing I say You see.
  • Options

Newsflash. It's possible to have concerns and grievances about the growth of more than one chain.

Here we go again with the attitude that is rife on these boards - just because Wetherspoons is perceived [by you, might I add, as I don't share that opinion] to be worse than Subway it's alright for the latter to let its freshly baked fingers grip the throat of the local economy while the former should be condemned. For what, incidentally? Wetherspoons is a cheap boozer, it does what it says on the tin. Subway is none of the things it says on its unavoidable advertising, it ain't healthy (unless you're one of the very small minority that choose the "healthy" option) and it certainly ain't fresh.

It's not alright for this to happen to our town centres. But what can you do? 'You can't stop "progress"'; to quote Muriel's Wedding. All I can say is it's your town's funeral if everyone shares your attitude about local business.
  • Options
    Newsflash. It's possible to have concerns and grievances about the growth of more than one chain.

Here we go again with the attitude that is rife on these boards - just because Wetherspoons is perceived [by you, might I add, as I don't share that opinion] to be worse than Subway it's alright for the latter to let its freshly baked fingers grip the throat of the local economy while the former should be condemned. For what, incidentally? Wetherspoons is a cheap boozer, it does what it says on the tin. Subway is none of the things it says on its unavoidable advertising, it ain't healthy (unless you're one of the very small minority that choose the "healthy" option) and it certainly ain't fresh.

It's not alright for this to happen to our town centres. But what can you do? 'You can't stop "progress"'; to quote Muriel's Wedding. All I can say is it's your town's funeral if everyone shares your attitude about local business.

Yet I did'nt go insane and insult you for drinking at wheaterspoons
  • Options
    My experiences of Subway haven't been good.

My mate made me buy a foot-long one because she wouldn't stop going on about how nice it was. I could only eat half of it, all the sauce ran out of the side and there was far far too much not-very-nice bread.

Subway was also giving out samples every morning for a while of their new breakfast sandwiches and they were pretty rank!
  • Options
    Yet I did'nt go insane and insult you for drinking at wheaterspoons

What?

Firstly I think you're being a little melodramatic, especially given that we're talking about Subway which is a large, faceless chain of fast food outlets and not your skiddies. Have a Kit Kat (foot long?) and chill the fuck out.

To address your comment, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Even if anyone had insulted Subway's patrons, there is nothing to be gained by turning around and pointing out that somewhere is worse on the off-chance that the other people might be paying customers of that particular chain.

Who REALLY gives a fuck about Subway? Some people really do give a fuck about the bigger problem represented in this topic by Subway (it could've been Burger King or Starbucks or whatever) but I can't really understand why you have taken up such a staunch and unrelenting defence of it. Are you for identikit towns, then? Don't bullshit that you've been offended or that you are affronted on behalf of the multi-billionnaire owners of Subway, it doesn't wash. Oh, and I'd say this is Kermit on very mild form, and that is pretty irrelevant anyway since he knows what he's talking about and I think he's absolutely right (on all counts, especially about how many superior independent butty shops there are in the Toon).
  • Options
    Who REALLY gives a fuck about Subway? Toon).

Me, You and Kermit. You two must have spent a pretty long time typing long post that I can't be bothered reading about it
  • Options
    I couldn't give a flying fuck about Subway, Jarvey, that's what you have completely failed to grasp.

On your delightful and polite note I'll bow out, I had noticed your propensity to "not be bothered" in this thread and countless previous ones. What with your lovely penchant for quoting people at length and then tacking on some random cluster of words which leaves everyone none the wiser. Nice one :thumb:
  • Options
    Talking of sandwich shops, what do you think of 'Pret a manger' I know that its a chain but I think Pret is so so delicious, the sandwiches, the soup etc. Its not on the same scale as Subway (not even near) but does it bother you that its still a chain? I know that pret make all their food on site using fresh local ingredients.
This discussion has been closed.