Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bad

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm better today. Not hugely, but not suicidal. Had a driving lesson and I think the sunshine did me good. Then forced myself to go to town even though it was with bitchy housemate. Now just baked a cake - waiting for it to cool but then I'll ice it and there will be pics!
  • Options
    Whoop whoop.

Sunshine
  • Options
    I feel terrible again. I called the out of hours team and they pretty much told me to go watch a DVD. I feel like I have a sign above my head, or written on my note that says 'don't take seriously'. Nobody gives a shit.
  • Options
    I feel terrible again. I called the out of hours team and they pretty much told me to go watch a DVD. I feel like I have a sign above my head, or written on my note that says 'don't take seriously'. Nobody gives a shit.

we give a shit *hug*

have you got anything to do today or are you having a day in? maybe they were trying to suggest that you do something to distract yourself (although not in the most sensitive way)? what did you want them to say? maybe they thought that if they did something drastic and sent round an ambulance or something you'd panic and harm yourself?
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    have you got anything to do today or are you having a day in? maybe they were trying to suggest that you do something to distract yourself (although not in the most sensitive way)? what did you want them to say? maybe they thought that if they did something drastic and sent round an ambulance or something you'd panic and harm yourself?

I was having a day in, had a list of things to do and wanted to get some work done. I got up, had a shower, did some hoovering and things from my list, had lunch and then just crashed again. I tried for at least an hour to distract myself (reading a book, watching TV, talking to SM) and then thought I was doing the right thing by calling them. I know the drill when it comes to distracting myself, I had already tried :( I guess I just wanted to talk about how bad I was feeling, and for someone to pretend they cared.

I went out on my bike. Didn't crash *sigh*. And my gears have broken which sucks. Some lady also decided to shout at me for riding the ALL OF TEN METRES on the pavement between my house and the cycle path. Even strangers hate me.
  • Options
    I went out on my bike. Didn't crash *sigh*. And my gears have broken which sucks. Some lady also decided to shout at me for riding the ALL OF TEN METRES on the pavement between my house and the cycle path. Even strangers hate me.

Don't think that strangers hate you- she's probably having a grumpy day. As long as you didn't run her over then don't worry about it. People love to hate cyclists... pedestrians: they shouldn't be on the path, they should be on the road. Drivers: cyclist shouldn't be on our roads- they don't pay road tax and don't go as fast as cars... get on the pavement. It's a vicious cycle (no pun intended!) for the poor old cyclist and you can't please everyone. From experience broken gears do indeed suck, do you know if yours are fixable?

And seconding omg hi, we care and give a shit *hug*
  • Options
    Have you considered calling sane line or Samaritans when you want to talk rather than out of hours? They might be more help some of the time.

You did really well looking after yourself today though.

XX
  • Options
    Have you considered calling sane line or Samaritans when you want to talk rather than out of hours? They might be more help some of the time.

You did really well looking after yourself today though.

XX

Yeah I think I will do. It's been useful in the past because the out of hours people have info on me. But the last few times that hasn't really made a difference, they've just given me generic advice. Thank you xxx
  • Options
    The out of hours team are not a listening service so what they will say will inevitably be generic unless you essentially say "hi I've taken a fucking huge overdose". But that's their job, it doesn't mean you're not valued.

If really what you're wanting is to talk to someone who will simply acknowledge that, yes, things are shit for you then I can't recommend the Samaritans enough.

I give a shit.
  • Options
    The out of hours team are not a listening service so what they will say will inevitably be generic unless you essentially say "hi I've taken a fucking huge overdose". But that's their job, it doesn't mean you're not valued.

If really what you're wanting is to talk to someone who will simply acknowledge that, yes, things are shit for you then I can't recommend the Samaritans enough.

I give a shit.

:yes: This. I found that when I was told to call them in a crisis their answer would simply be, "What do you want us to do about it?" The Samaritans have all the time in the world and will listen for as long as you like. They won't give solutions.

For practical help, call out-of-hours.

For listening, call the Samaritans. Every time.
  • Options
    Yeah I will from now on. It's just that my cpn had said to call them (even if I wasn't imminently going to kill myself). And I had had one quite helpful call in the past. Meh.
  • Options
    hey.

i hope you're okay.... i can actually relate a lot to this too

when i'm alone and everyone's out at the shop or something.. i'm always thinking, okay- grab the nearest thing and let's just do this... and also it gives me more of a chance to come on boards like this to try and discuss my feelings

hugs
  • Options
    Things have been ok yesterday and today. Not brilliant - but I'm coping. I managed to do a good solid two hours of work yesterday evening (despite being in all day) and that's something I haven't managed in a long time so felt good about that. Trying to make an effort to update this thread with positive things :yes:
  • Options
    I feel like the depression is easing off a bit. I had a really nice day and found myself feeling quite happy at times. I think I felt the best today than I have done in a long time. But..... I'm still flawed. I'm just a bit happier and flawed. But that means there's further to fall. I've fallen to pieces at the smallest thing tonight. And it's just a reminder that even without being depressed, I've still got a fucked up way of viewing things, and that's the thing that stays with me, even when the other clouds have lifted.
  • Options
    Have you ever tried CBT? (Or, would you consider another course? - it's not necessarily a one-time thing.) I have found in the past it can ease the negative thought patterns for a while.
  • Options

that really is anoying when people do that... i've got it a lot myself

"awww, well, which is your fave dvd?. go watch that and you'll feel better"

okay... first, it goes a lot deeper than that- i don't think people realise that their feeble attempts at trying to calm the situation, can actually lead to something worse (very possible i've known it to happen!)

and secondly i'm not 2 years old?

"awwww what is your fave dvd?"

they could just say go watch a dvd without all the questioning like that
  • Options
    The questioning is deliberately done like that to make you think of something positive. "What is your favourite DVD?" makes you think about something other than how shit everything is, it also makes you weigh up things you like, so it is actually very valuable as a questioning technique.

The crisis/out of hours team are not a listening service. They're there to take active steps to help. "I want to kill myself, come and get me" is something they can deal with. "I feel a bit shit" is not, because their inevitable question will always be "what do you want us to do about it?" It's not being unkind, it's just they deal with the practical side of things, they're neither a counsellor nor a listening service. If you don't need them out to save you from killing yourself then it probably can wait until morning.
  • Options
    The crisis/out of hours team are not a listening service. They're there to take active steps to help. "I want to kill myself, come and get me" is something they can deal with. "I feel a bit shit" is not, because their inevitable question will always be "what do you want us to do about it?" It's not being unkind, it's just they deal with the practical side of things, they're neither a counsellor nor a listening service. If you don't need them out to save you from killing yourself then it probably can wait until morning.

Yup. It's really hard to hear but it is true. The problem is that people (GPs and even CPNs) just blithely say, "Oh if you feel bad call the crisis team", without fully explaining their role.

Saneline are also a really good listening service. If you need intervention but don't have access to a crisis team, you can go to A&E and ask for the duty psychiatrist.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic, ysh. Glad you're feeling a little better despite everything. *hug*
  • Options
    -
  • Options
    artic... i never really thought of it like that

but still- someone standing beside me saying all that to me like i'm about 2... so imtimidating!
  • Options
    I've not called the team again. I only called because it was what I'd been told to do by my psychiatrist. I'd asked him if it was OK to call them even if I wasn't about to kill myself and he said yes.

In a bit of a state tonight. Called my ex. He has fallen to pieces and I feel so bad for not being able to make any of if better. Yet I still hate him for what he did. And I know I'm shooting myself in the foot again and again by talking to him. But meh.
  • Options
    Well if he's fallen to pieces then he has someone else to pick him up. Arsehole.
  • Options
    Well if he's fallen to pieces then he has someone else to pick him up. Arsehole.

wow?

if that was directed at me, not sure i like the language..

but i can be just as bad if you want me too. so.
  • Options
    lady emily wrote: »
    wow?

Why would it be directed at you? Did you read yellow's post above that one?

Yellow - Arctic is right. He's made his choice and it's not your responsibility to pick him up anymore.
  • Options
    lady emily wrote: »
    wow?

why on earth would that be directed at you?
  • Options
    Jeeez what's going on here?

And yeah, Arctic you're right. I shouldn't be phoning him - I shouldn't be giving him the chance to cry down the phone.
  • Options
    Fuck him all the way to the shops
  • Options
    He should be crying down the phone at the girl he went off with. If she has no emotional intelligence because he's a cradle snatcher then that's a terrible problem. His. Not yours.
  • Options
    He should be crying down the phone at the girl he went off with. If she has no emotional intelligence because he's a cradle snatcher then that's a terrible problem. His. Not yours.

:thumb:

It's true. He left you, you are not responsible for the emotional repercussions he is feeling.
  • Options
    Yeah you are right. I don't miss him, I miss what we had. I miss being so close to someone. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. It would have been nice to be friends, but he's been a dick. And so that's not possible. I need to stop caring.

I don't really have anyone (IRL) to talk to about my struggles. I don't necessarily want to pour my heart out to anyone, just wish my 'friends' were supportive. Don't want to feel like I'm all alone.