Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i believe the "proof" it doesnt work os due to cherry picking results.
  • Options

You should sign up to this then http://www.alltrials.net/
  • Options

I know, right? Expecting homoeopathy to meet the same standards that other medical trials are held to is just cheating.
  • Options
    i dont really hold much faith in most medical trials anymore tbh either. Its all privatised.. I dont believe any of it is unbiased or particularly scientific.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    You know the reason why homeopathic remedies have no side effects? Because it's water - it has no effect.
    Except they do have side effects. they may well just be placebo side effects.
  • Options
    I
    i dont really hold much faith in most medical trials anymore tbh either. Its all privatised.. I dont believe any of it is unbiased or particularly scientific.

That's a really confusing statement to make. It's true that by its nature, the stuff which goes to trial tends to be your corporate stuff. Which is why potential cancer cures that are unpatentable don't go to trial.

But it's not true that the trials are not scientific. I explained above, anyone can do an experiment and write a paper. If I write on my blog that I ate a chocolate biscuit on Mondays and plotted how I felt on Mondays I have done an experiment and wrote it up.

It may even get featured in the popular scientific magazines in a fun section. But would someone whose career lies on whether they can produce high quality research cite it as a good source? No.

This is how the scientific consensus is reached. It is a hierarchy, with better and better institutions hiring better and better academics who cite better and better articles.

The problem is any homeopathy article isn't published in a medical journal or a science journal, it's published in 'homeopathy'. The methods are often considered by their peers at different universities that they do not control for biases and have other problems.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Except they do have side effects. they may well just be placebo side effects.

The homeopathic substance (magic water) doesn't have any effect at all.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    [url]Http://bit.ly/3D6fT5[/url]

A fairly well ranked journal.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    The homeopathic substance (magic water) doesn't have any effect at all.

You could drown...

It doesn't work, it can't, water has had SO MANY THINGS in it, how does it know what to remember with it's disregard of all the rules of physics?
  • Options

There are issues, there is no doubt about that and you only have to read Ben Goldacre's work to see the evidence of that. However the difference is that one is open to scientific scruitiny and peer review - usually using double blind trials etc but homeopathy isn't - or when it is, it's proven to fail the basic requirements of being better than placebo.

However, the evidence that "traditional" medicine works is all around us whilst history will show you what happens when the same analysis and criteria aren't applied. Leeches, blood letting etc.

This article is a good one >>> http://www.badscience.net/2007/11/a-kind-of-magic/
  • Options
    The thing about homeopathy, is not just if it works (which it doesn't) but if it's BETTER than what does work. No-one's going to release a new painkiller that's good but not better than aspirin are they?
  • Options
    Isn't homeopathy more a placebo and it works more psychologically on patient than pathological. Well, that's my opinion about it.
  • Options
    Although in the politics thread, the moderators are closing any
    of my threads about freemasons.

Even though the freemasons and British politics goes hand in hand.

I wonder why they close the threads......hmmmm
  • Options
    Because you're a dick. You don't debate. Your attitude is 'this is the way it is and if you don't agree i'll insult you'. That's being a dick
  • Options
    fluxed wrote: »
    I wonder why they close the threads......hmmmm

:lol:

OMG those pesky masons are everywhere. Not only everyone that disagrees with you but also all of our Mods.

It's got nothing to do with the lack of evidence or debate. Really interesting that those of us whom you criticise are willing to be open and debate, then you - who claims a conspiracy to hide the truth - doesn't actually get into that debate. Irony.

You really are a proper dick.
  • Options
    I think everyone is a freemason.

Yes, even you.
  • Options
    *does gangsta handshake and shows nipple*
  • Options
    It must be cold suze, you nearly had my eye out with that nipple !
  • Options
    its a common complaint tbh. Its like im smuggling peanuts
  • Options
    You know on conspiracy theories, I read an interesting post a while back about illuminati theories. The guy basically said, what's even scarier than the idea that there's a mysterious and powerful elite controlling the world - is that there's literally nobody controlling the world. It just ticks over. We are all passengers on a canoe going downstream, with a few oarsmen thinking they know the way to paddle (politicians, movers and shakers etc.) but ultimately we are at the mercy of whichever way the current takes us. I can see where that poster is coming from, the idea that actually nobody is manning the con is quite concerning.
  • Options
    And that is why people almost magic up conspiracy theories, is because the truth frightens them more than the made up idea in their head :)

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I think the point SuzyCreamCheese was trying to make is that big pharma in league with the medical establishment have obvious vested interests and shouldn't always be trusted. Psychiatry is a perfect example, ever-expanding classification of mental disorders leads to an ever-expanding market for pharmacutical companies to enrich themselves by selling their potions.

As for conspiracy theories being made up as a comforting antidote to the idea of a world without any centralised authority or direction...pure bullshit! Take a look at the agenda so-called 'conspiracy theorists' believe exists (world government, Orwellian totallitarianism, population reduction, transhumanism) and think again. What you're doing is dismissing an idea as baseless nonsense because it contradicts your preconceptions, which leaves the only alternative explanation that people must only believe in those 'theories' because they find it personally beneficial to do so.
  • Options
    Some complementary therapies are evidence based - for example NICE does include acupuncture as a treatment for persistent lower back pain. But homeopathy doesn't seem to be one of them. Unless you count fluids for dehydration ;)

If people think homeopathy works than that doesn't really bother me, unless it involves things like not getting children vaccinated etc. However I don't think the NHS should be funding something that is less effective than alternative treatments - where there is a treatment for a condition that is more effective than placebo otherwise available.
  • Options
    As for conspiracy theories being made up as a comforting antidote to the idea of a world without any centralised authority or direction...pure bullshit! Take a look at the agenda so-called 'conspiracy theorists' believe exists (world government, Orwellian totallitarianism, population reduction, transhumanism) and think again. What you're doing is dismissing an idea as baseless nonsense because it contradicts your preconceptions, which leaves the only alternative explanation that people must only believe in those 'theories' because they find it personally beneficial to do so.

Well not really, I'm happy to hear all reasonable arguments for those theories, I was specifically addressing fluxed's habit of posting 'freemasons did it' in every thread for the past few days. I wasn't dismissing any idea, but merely pointing out the point of why should the notion that an all powerful secret organisation ruling the world be any more fearsome than the alternative - that nobody at all is ruling the world.

People believe in things for their own reasons, I wouldn't presume to cast a net saying everyone who believes [x] only does so because [y]. That's daft :p.

As a broader point I actually think very healthy scepticism is a good thing, which doesn't just mean dismissing a 'conspiracy theory' but also in fact means paying attention to it. Would we trust the American political and intelligence systems -not- to do something insane? I don't think I would. Of course, that proves nothing, except that we can't take what they say at face value. Its like in court even if you don't prove they're guilty, that doesn't prove they didn't do it (only that they are innocent in the eyes of the law).
  • Options
    Ok, fair enough. That guy seemed a tad over-focussed on the masons...I have to admit! haha.
  • Options
    Think they should stop trying to cure so many diseases because people are living longer then they're really meant to and deteriorate mentally before they do physically and the world will become too over populated if everyone lives.
  • Options
    who's "they"?

If there is the lnowledge available to cure diseases, then you'd probably be very keen for it to be treated if it was someone you loved a lot or for yourself. Its a lot easier to be impersonal about "other peoples" loved ones

Improved sanitation and food availability for the first world is a major factor in increased life expectancy. Youre welcome to just become more filthy and hungry if you are concerned by how long you personally might live.
  • Options
    Well its an unpopular opinion :P
    I don't think people should not be treated, because in the end we're all entitled to the same thing even if we realistically don't get it.
    But i think as medicine advances the world is gonna become very overpopulated, but just have to wait and see what happens with that.
  • Options
    I do agree in the sense that cancer treatment and 'old people' illnesses certainly punch above their weight in terms of a limited pot of medical funding.

But i suspect that's for quite a few reasons e.g. It's easy to throw money at, it's politically great (not just to politicians for example, but it's a lot easier to 'sell' cancer research to investors than say speech impediment research), and also older people increasingly are the biggest users of health services.

But going along with Alfie some sentiment, in 20 years time our hospitals will be overcrowded with elderly people taking up the vast majority of beds, chronically ill, whilst the rest of the population vies for the 10% remaining strained service to keep the productive work force labour.

It's the mind of problem that needs forward planning to combat, but that's not happening. I anticipate what will happen is the nhs will collapse under the burden, the private sector will be brought in and the old and unproductive will be left to rot by 'market forces'.
  • Options
    I saw an ad on TV about giving money to people for clean drinking water because they have to walk for 8 hours to find it. Why don't they just live closer to the water???