Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I saw an ad on TV about giving money to people for clean drinking water because they have to walk for 8 hours to find it. Why don't they just live closer to the water???

Maybe the area near the water is otherwise unsafe. Terrain, animals, angry men with guns etc? I give regularly to WaterAid, even when the water is nearby, it can be deadly.
  • Options
    these old people that are taking up your precious resources, are people that have worked all their life and paid their taxes. Dont treat them as parasites and begrudge research into their welfare and health, fgs
  • Options
    these old people that are taking up your precious resources, are people that have worked all their life and paid their taxes. Dont treat them as parasites and begrudge research into their welfare and health, fgs

Good point but bad argument, the flip to that is "no treatment" for kids or young adult who haven't contributed at all yet.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I do agree in the sense that cancer treatment and 'old people' illnesses certainly punch above their weight in terms of a limited pot of medical funding.

But i suspect that's for quite a few reasons e.g. It's easy to throw money at, it's politically great (not just to politicians for example, but it's a lot easier to 'sell' cancer research to investors than say speech impediment research), and also older people increasingly are the biggest users of health services.

But going along with Alfie some sentiment, in 20 years time our hospitals will be overcrowded with elderly people taking up the vast majority of beds, chronically ill, whilst the rest of the population vies for the 10% remaining strained service to keep the productive work force labour.

It's the mind of problem that needs forward planning to combat, but that's not happening. I anticipate what will happen is the nhs will collapse under the burden, the private sector will be brought in and the old and unproductive will be left to rot by 'market forces'.

I think that you'd be surprised but for me to go into the full detail would require a considerable essay. So I'll try to summarise...

There are three key parts to look after the older generation
    1. Prevention - eg living healthier lifestyles will reduce those "aquired" long term illnesses such as diabetes 2, heart failure, COPD
    2. Self Care - teach people to look after their own conditions for as long as reasonable. This reduces need for NHS intervention
    3. Pro-Active management - the NHS is working to become more predictive rather than reactive. So to identify when someone is going into crisis and intervene *before* they actually do. This will help avoid many of the admissions to hospital.

Cancer is an interesting one because it's so emotive, for obvious reasons. Try telling anyone that you don't invest in these services and see how long it takes you to hit the Tabloid front pages! Seriously though, the NHS will always invest in this because it's usually a real life saver. This is why I struggle with the concept of "assisted suicide". That investment would drop dramatically.

The real issue though isn't elderly taking up beds or cancer. It's the "worried well"... those who attend the GP for every sniffle, ring an ambulance when they could go themselves, those who go to A&E instead of GP, those who don't bother ringing the GP for weeks but then go to use Emergency Units...

A couple of financial contextual facts for you:
    Each local commissioner gets about £1,100 per person to pay for your care. One hip replacement costs just over £5,000

Your GP costs us about £100 per person, per year. One trip to A&E is a minimum £55, rising to over £150 if you have investigations...

Failure to use the medication prescribed costs us millions in destroyed drugs and even more in resulting admission because your condition exacerbates... e.g. poorly controlled diabetes will lead to heart disease, blindness and amputations.
  • Options
    we're basically just getting back to the 'old people should be killed' that we were on about the other week
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    we're basically just getting back to the 'old people should be killed' that we were on about the other week

A little, but instead of putting people down, we're talking with-holding treatment. I saw this article today, and thought it was pertinant
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

I don't think so at all, I was pointing out that there is an increasing demand on a finite resource.

I haven't argued against providing that to older people.

But we don't want a situation in Japan where healthcare becomes so overstretched that someone is ferried from hospital to hospital in a critical condition until they die. (this happened 6 days ago)

I don't see why people feel they need to be so defensive about the older generations, nobody is seriously calling for them to be culled. On BBC question time many many of the older commenters believe house building initiatives are only there to undermine their own property portfolios.

Can't talk policy with regard to pensioners without it being perceived as an attack, which is probably why pensioners got a nice fat increase in pensions (that tapers off by the time we are pension age) whilst the tiny proportion of the budget eaten by jobseekers and welfare claimants has a hard cap below inflation.

Bear in mind when the nhs was formed a much greater proportion of the population were paying in compared to those simply using it. This trend will only continue. Without any foreplanning, the NHS will become a second rate service instead of world leading.
  • Options
    I'm all for preservation of life where ever we can achieve it, though people do have to remember that really old people are going to pass away eventually due to conditions which unfortunately are increasingly common as people live longer and longer. People are living on average a hell of a lot longer than they once were, eventually a limit will be reached where it won't just be cost ineffectiveness, it will be nigh on impossible to keep such a large elderly population alive. Now I'm not saying that people should be killed off, I'm just saying that at some point we really wont be able to prolong life to such an extent to stop people dying.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    People are living on average a hell of a lot longer than they once were.

now thats my kind of maths
  • Options
    Indeed G. It is a problem that is coming and we either pretend it's not happening and let an under resourced and overstretched NHS struggle until some political types say it's a waste of money and scrap it, or we forward plan.

[url]Http://ind.pn/ZKjruA[/url]

The notion that because older generations have paid their taxes that they are untouchable is simply burying our heads in the sand. Their healthcare isn't paid for by their national insurance contributions - that paid for the healthcare of the relatively smaller proportion of elderly people a generation or more ago. It's paid for by the workers of today NI contributions.

And what happens when all of us are pension age? By that time, there will not be enough money coming in to cover all of our care needs.

The bill and Melinda gates foundation makes decisions on a clinical, years of life added and quality of life added. If you are pouring billions of money every year into additional cancer research to ensure 85 year olds can live to 95, you have to spend less in other places.

The crisis can't be averted anymore than a drifting ship at sea can't magically find more fresh water.

I personally don't want us to drift into a crisis where the government slashes NHS funding as emergency / basic only, and that private health insurance for the wealthy is the only way to get an acceptable standard of healthcare.
  • Options
    Healthcare worldwide needs to be more about prevention rather than cures - building wells for people to access clean water rather than just vaccinating their kids so they can carry on drinking river water. Just giving people antibiotics as a preventative measure is one of the worst things a doctor can do IMO.
  • Options
    A related one.

In my opinion, everyone will eventually die. There's nothing we can do as society to stop that eventuality and we need to face up to that. Getting the % of people killed by cancer down is all well and good, but it does just mean that the % of people killed by something else will go up. As society we need to face up to everyone has a limited life expectancy - and start focusing more on what kills prematurely, rather than just what kills. Personally - I'd take all deaths over a fixed age, e.g. 75, out of the main statistics. Not because they don't matter, but because realistically treatment isn't going to make a significant incremental difference to a persons overall life by that point and it just becomes trading causes.
  • Options
    That's a perfect point for more money to be put into mental health. Suicide is still one of biggest killers of young men (and rising in middle age men too). Also what about putting money into looking for effective treatments for chronic illnesses which don't kill just have an impact of quality of life? Surely it's not all about quantity?
  • Options
    As a country we've managed to foster a mentality of entitlement - often as a result of the best of intentions - where personal responsibility is increasingly less fashionable, being instead replace by a mewling mass of people looking everywhere but to themselves for the source of their problems and the associated solutions.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    That's a perfect point for more money to be put into mental health. Suicide is still one of biggest killers of young men (and rising in middle age men too). Also what about putting money into looking for effective treatments for chronic illnesses which don't kill just have an impact of quality of life? Surely it's not all about quantity?

I always a bit odd about how to look at things about suicide, specifically "Suicide" being one of he biggest killers of young men. With say cancer you can say it was the cancer that caused the death, or with a heart problem that it was the heart. It is a bit hard in my head to classify suicide as the killer. Yes someone took their own life, but it wasnt suicide that caused it. It is likely a massive number of factors, which all need to be targeted to try and reverse this increase in young men (and people of all ages from both sexes) taking their own lives.

Yes I imagine I'm just talking about semantics here, but suicide doesn't kill, it is a word that we use when someone takes their own life through what could be a multitudes of methods. What kills is frankly a shocking level of mental health support across the board, in the sense that whilst it might be ok in some areas, it most definitely is not in others. Stress, lack of help and many of other issues can effect peoples mental health, I sometimes feel that many people in the country see mental health as a specific illness when in fact the term covers a multitude / spectrum of things.

I guess after that little rant, my possibly unpopular opinion (in some circles) might be that its stress/problems/issues that contribute towards a persons mental state making them want to take their own lives, but its the lack of wider understanding, compassion and stigma which kills them. Suicide isn't the killer, the factors that drive someone so low as to want to take their own life are the killers.
  • Options
    As a country we've managed to foster a mentality of entitlement - often as a result of the best of intentions - where personal responsibility is increasingly less fashionable, being instead replace by a mewling mass of people looking everywhere but to themselves for the source of their problems and the associated solutions.

I was just talking to someone about this the other day, these days is doesn't seem to matter if a problem is solely the fault of one person or many, people often look to blame everyone else but themselves. It annoys me that even yourself is to blame, even if personal action could solve the whole situation, the common trend is to let the other interested party do it all for them.

Also, this whole "I've paid taxes all my life so I should be entitled to everything I can be," we could solve that comment by banishing the NHS and letting people pay for everything themselves, but then people would complain about it. I like the NHS, and I don't think we should scrap it, but people should be careful what they wish for. As has been mentioned elsewhere on here, you've been paying all your life for the upkeep of the older and sicker people in society, now you're old (imagine you were) your care is being paid by the younger and healthier folk.

I'm generally rather a large burden on the taxpayer, because my wage is paid by the taxpayer, so it doesn't matter how much or little tax I pay, the government can't make "more" money by taxing me unless they tax me 101% of my wages. So not matter how much or little I use the health service or other publicly funded things, I'm always going to be a burden on the state as long as I'm in this job. Hence I'm appreciative of the help I can get if and when I need it, but only because I would need it, not because I feel I'm entitled to it.
  • Options
    Personally - I'd take all deaths over a fixed age, e.g. 75, out of the main statistics. Not because they don't matter, but because realistically treatment isn't going to make a significant incremental difference to a persons overall life by that point and it just becomes trading causes.

We do, and 75 is the number which the Department of Health uses. It's referred to as "Early Death" and we are monitored on the rate in our area and expected to make improvements...
  • Options

its what happens when as a people we are taxed to the hilt on everything . We are now being encouraged to think that people who want anything for their taxes are somehow acting "entitled" and unreasonable
  • Options
    and i think its mainly down to sneaky and not so sneaky propaganda from the right, to push us more and more to have a privatised society with no real community benefits, like the US, but im sure theyll still retain european high taxes
  • Options
    I'm fucked off that comic relief seems to be focusing all their funds into pharmaceuticals and not helping people build sustainable lives. Yes vaccinations are important but they wouldn't need the one to stop diarrhoea if they had reliable wells so they didn't need to drink river water.
  • Options
    or accessing the resorces that africa HAS, rather than letting it be looted by the rich corporations causing huge death and poverty.
  • Options
    Exactamundo!
  • Options
    Couldn't Africa sell solar power to the rest of the world?
  • Options
    africa already sells everything to the rest of the world. Coffee, diamonds, gold, cocoa, oil, gas, iron, uranium

Whos getting the money though, because it aint the people

and then we are emotionally blackmailed into raising money to make up for the fact that actually the west is looting the majority of those resources
  • Options
    Should we stop giving then? Let them fend for themselves?
  • Options
    It's not the west exploiting Africa directly by the way. Many of the countries in Africa are horrifically corrupt and inequality is rife. Whilst in the UK we complain that people struggling to afford heating whilst others have fancy cars in unfair, in many countries in Africa particularly those along the west coast there are millionaires / billionaires looking on as their countrymen starve to death and die from lack of easily affordable medicines.

Literally zero fucks given by the ruling elites.

The west has blood on its hands in the sense that we continue to deal with these people, but many argue that not dealing with them will only make it worse. Give the case of foxconn in China where the working conditions are appalling (they literally had to build nets to stop the slaves jumping off the building and killing themselves) but their standard of living is better than it would otherwise be. Like new graduates in the UK in media industries have to be unpaid slaves for so many years before they have an opportunity to become middle class.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Should we stop giving then? Let them fend for themselves?

as if i've got the answers to the africa situation????

No, im not saying dont give to charity, but dont be fooled thinking there is any reason for this other than greed and capitalism
  • Options
    I was listening to Radio 4 the other night, and Kenya is starting to tap into the geothermal power available in the Rift Valley

As most electricity there currently comes from diesel generators this is a good thing for Kenya financially, and a good thing for the world in terms of pollution and oil consumption.

Of course they still have to build a decent grid, but at least they'll have electricity to put on it.
  • Options
    I'm personally a bit sceptical of comic relief. Surely just pumping money into providing for the poor in a corrupt society is never going to make much difference as long as the society is corrupt? I'd also like to see the focus changed every year i.e have an environment/conservation themed year one year. But I am biased as I work in conservation and don't think it gets as much attention as it deserves. It's all very well shipping out medicine to deprived places so more people live (and therefore effectively requiring more resources) but if you don't look after the forests and areas the medicine comes from as the population keeps growing then you're a bit buggered. But like I said - I'm biased and will likely get flamed for this. I suppose it's the similar thing here with the ageing population.
  • Options
    The best thing to do about poverty in Africa (and elsewhere) is remove tariffs which stop them selling stuff to us and ignore the shrieks of the anti-Globalisation lobby and their supporters. Africa's problem isn't that there's lots of rapascious Western companies, but that there isn't - hardly any international investment ends in Africa compared to Europe, SE Asia, Australia etc