Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People are biologically different at a genetic level!

But I get what you mean (having read the same issue it sounds like) Africans have similar traits (hence the dark skin, curly hair, face-shape), asians similarly (again skin tone, but very straight dark hair, face shape), and I imagine celts vs normans and possibly european caucasians vs american caucasians...
  • Options
    In what ways?

100% human. Whereas white people are between 1% and 5% neanderthal if that Eddie Izzard documentary is to be believed. But "black people" is a bit of a non-concept genetically, because there's a massive variety of populations in Africa, which is home to both the tallest and shortest groups of people on the planet. There's a much difference between Somalians and Nigerians as there is between white people are Chinese people. Possibly more.
  • Options
    In what ways?

Different colour for a start
  • Options
    I like people with faith over the institutions of faith (churches etc).
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I like people with faith over the institutions of faith (churches etc).

Can you explain what this means? I am interested but don't quite understand :)
  • Options
    Faith is a gift I am yet to receive, yet I'm sure it is still (in my mind anyway) a very personal thing. Hence, whilst I don't have a problem with religion, sometimes the institutions behind them bother me a little bit because of the fact that I view faith as a very personal thing, and not something to be directed around by.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    'Tis a very personal thing indeed!
  • Options
    Faith is a gift I am yet to receive...

:yeees: Did you really just go there.

:p
  • Options
    but you gotta have faith

BABY!
  • Options
    Zoo visitors in general can be split into idiots and those that are actually interested in animals. Also, screaming children deserve to get sprayed on
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    :yeees: Did you really just go there.

:p

Yes I did, what are you going to do about it hehehe :)
  • Options
    Yes I did, what are you going to do about it hehehe :)

Offer you succor :naughty:
  • Options
    i am a very tollerant person...

As long as you're not a daily mail reader or a tory voter. In which case I think you're borderline facist who deserves to see what its like live at the thin edge of the wedge with on health related benefits with a "unseen" or "invisable" health condition. I truely believe people who still think fibromyalgia and ME are still "yuppy flu'' should be lined up and shot.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Tradition is simply pointless if it causes no problems and you may as well keep following it if you like it. But when it does cause problems, anyone who keeps following it is simply a troublemaker and should be treated as such; "It's tradition" is not remotely an excuse.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

Isn't this the modern equivalent of "I'm not racist, but..."
  • Options
    isn't this the modern equivalent of "i'm not racist, but..."

:d
  • Options

As long as you're not a daily mail reader or a tory voter. In which case I think you're borderline facist who deserves to see what its like live at the thin edge of the wedge with on health related benefits with a "unseen" or "invisable" health condition. I truely believe people who still think fibromyalgia and ME are still "yuppy flu'' should be lined up and shot.

I voted Tory at the last election, in an area where they had no chance of winning and likely never will, but I still did (for my own reasons).
  • Options
    Yes, you told me, and I'm pretty sure I had a go at you for it!

Tbh, having intollerance for facists is surely a pretty good thing - not that I'm saying the communists weren't without fault, they too did some terrible things, but the torys are on the right, not just centre right, and that is close enough to facism for me.
  • Options
    You have to remember the tories and labour are so called 'big tent' parties in that they themselves do not have fixed ideas on an individual point, but rather seek to pool resources to gather enough votes that they can get the party into government and then squabble amongst themselves over what policies are brought in. There are some horrifically backwards tories who probably secretly wish for slavery to be brought back in, but equally some very progressive types.

On the whole though I agree that I don't want to support a party that supports increased inequality on the basis its the 'natural' order of things.
  • Options
    Jeremy Clarkson should really NOT be prime minister.

Frankie Boyle is not funny. Just a nasty little man.

Ricky Gervais is David Brent. No acting required.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Not sure how unpopular it is on this board but i know plenty of fairly intelligent people who believe in it.

Homeopathic medicine is a load of bollocks.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Not sure how unpopular it is on this board but i know plenty of fairly intelligent people who believe in it.

Homeopathic medicine is a load of bollocks.

Too fucking right it is. Take physics and bin it! Water has memory! And while it's memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is apparently infinite it somehow forgets all the poo it's had in it! #TimMinchin
  • Options
    I really disagree. It's helped me a fair bit. It's all about vibrations and although I'm no scientist it does seem to make a lot of sense. But my mum makes flower essences and I've grown up with complementary therapies so they seem to work for me (not everything, I think reki is a load of crap, and I'm seriously wary of any kind of spiritual healing). I have spoken to a nano physicist and he said that on a quantum level it makes sense but its very difficult to prove things that work within the realms of quantum physics because there's still so much we don't know.
  • Options
    I really disagree. It's helped me a fair bit. It's all about vibrations and although I'm no scientist it does seem to make a lot of sense.

It makes very little sense. If a trillionth of a substance could actually effect water on a quantum level then it would be easily provable using infrared spectroscopy. If the vibrations were truly having an effect on the water there would be data to prove it. There is not.

I'd ask to see this nano physicist's qualifications because he should be aware that the quantum entanglement only lasts for extremely short periods of time, so homoeopathic remedies (if they worked at all) would only have an effect for a few seconds. They would have a shelf life of a half second or so after being created.

Homoeopaths are roughly on par with fortune tellers, psychics, and mediums. Charlatans.
  • Options
    I really disagree. It's helped me a fair bit. It's all about vibrations and although I'm no scientist it does seem to make a lot of sense. But my mum makes flower essences and I've grown up with complementary therapies so they seem to work for me (not everything, I think reki is a load of crap, and I'm seriously wary of any kind of spiritual healing). I have spoken to a nano physicist and he said that on a quantum level it makes sense but its very difficult to prove things that work within the realms of quantum physics because there's still so much we don't know.

i agree with you, but you cant debate it. I steer away from homeopathy debates because I know full well it doesnt make sense in the traditional sense, but will go by my experience here.
  • Options
    i dont necessarily disbelieve in all psychics and mediums either though.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Homeopathic remedies do not work. Anecdotal evidence is only evidence of a placeb at play.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Homeopathic remedies do not work. Anecdotal evidence is only evidence of a placeb at play.

James Randi was taking an "overdose" every night on stage as part of his debunking of it. He does a cracking talk on homoeopathy.
  • Options
    It is just a bit of fun I thought, I didn't think people literally believed it worked. It's like starsign meanings and that.

The UK policy is that it's a placebo treatment and placebo treatments can work.
  • Options

This.