Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Accipiter wrote: »
    Marriage: This is how things should be done - it is the proper union of a suitable pairing, approved by the rest of the family.

Civil union: Wrong.

Civil partnership: Wrong.

I have been told the same thing by my parents and my grandparents, so surely it must be right.

News flash: What your family tell you isn't always what works in the wider context. You seem to have a very narrow minded view that your family told you x,y,z so therefore that is right and the rest of the world is wrong.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have been told the same thing by my parents and my grandparents, so surely it must be right.
    Because marrying for love is wrong. You should marry for wealth, status or name. That's what I've always been taught.
    One thing you should have been taught (and if not, you should have taught yourself) is to question the things you've been taught and never accept a single thing as true simply because someone said it's true.
  • Options
    You have a relatively closed mind then. I understand that many of these things are what you have been told. However, if you loved someone and were told you couldnt marry them, would you not be annoyed?

As for leaving a country, I'd like to see someone try walking across say Iran with little or no money and manage to get out of there, survive and be able to provide for themselves if they had no job, money or house etc.
  • Options
    Because marrying for love is wrong. You should marry for wealth, status or name. That's what I've always been taught.

Hypothetically, if your family told you it was ok to kill someone for no reason, would you then think it was acceptable. I know it isn't the same in any stretch, but you have recently made complaints about how your family was trying to restrict your access to your hawk. If I remember correctly, it bothered you quite a lot. What about someone who loves another person and is told that they cant be with or have the person they love, just because someone has values that they like to infringe upon others.

The best yard stick in these kind of situations, is that if someone's values harass or impinge on someone else, then barring the odd exception, they really shouldn't be considered to be true and socially acceptable values.
  • Options
    I know. I don't understand the relevance though.

This isn't going to come across well, but based on your replies you take posts that I read as a metaphor or simile or example very literally. Are you autistic?
  • Options
    I don't know because I haven't been in that situation, so I don't know.

I've never left a country either. I don't know how people leave countries.

What? Do you not know about flying?
  • Options
    In the UK you would have to go to an airport, or a port to get a ferry or similar. In other places that have land borders, you often have to get across an inspection point. In some of the more scarier places in the world, it can be very difficult to get across these points, and if caught people can find themselves in a lot of trouble.

I often find that I come across some things that I don't understand, I always try to go out of my way and research something. It's always good to be proactive with finding out about things you don't understand. :)
  • Options
    This is all pretty confusing. So should I not listen to my family because their values and ideas are not accepted by everyone?

I'm not saying don't listen to your family. What I would say is that just because someone says something, doesn't make it fact or gospel. I wonder if some of the reactions you have witnessed in here might have opened your eyes to other viewpoints that people can have? I'm not saying that your family are always wrong or mistaken, but sometimes people have views that are restrictive on others, and tend to stick to those views without regard to how harmful they can be. It is always good to explore other view points and opinions, just to see what is out there incase you could be wrong. Somewhere like these message boards can actually be very useful for engaging peoples opinions on certain matters.
    Accipiter wrote:
    I've been on holiday before and went on a plane, but I can't remember it because it was a long time ago.

I thought you said you had never left the country? Or was it a domestic flight.
  • Options
    I've been on holiday before and went on a plane, but I can't remember it because it was a long time ago.

Well that's how people leave the country. Either that or by boat.
  • Options
    But if it is a different country that is not an island, I don't see how you can't do it differently. Do they actually build a fence around the border of the country or something?

They often do have fences across the border areas between two countries.

As for you taking things as fact because it is easier, that is a problem that you might have to learn to deal with, otherwise you might find that you could easily be taken advantage of.
  • Options
    Do you not then therefore get overloaded with all the things you accept as truthful then?
  • Options
    You could research things and if it turns out you think what you have been told is wrong, you could always not put it down on your list?
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Again, that's a notion I take issue with. Objection does not necessarily mean hate.

Don't you think it's a little hateful to oppose a change which will have no direct effect on you at all? I'm not trying to be inflammatory by asking that, I am genuinely interested.

If you don't like the idea of gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. I don't see how it matters to anyone else that some people want to.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Don't you think it's a little hateful to oppose a change which will have no direct effect on you at all?

No. Not in the slightest. 'Hate' is an emotive word that gets overused in matters of discrimination. I have no doubt that some people's motives contain hate but I doubt the majority would. Ignorance, arrogance, jealousy etc yes, all very likely. But 'hate'? No, and I consider it highly irresponsible the way many people use the word like that.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Don't you think it's a little hateful to oppose a change which will have no direct effect on you at all?

I'm pro-gay rights and pro equal marriage but I don't think that because something doesn't directly affect you it is hateful to oppose it. I can think of many examples of things I feel strongly about that don't directly affect me. For example if the government proposed sending unwanted children into space to get rid of them, well I'm not an unwanted child and I don't have an unwanted child but I would be strongly again this idea.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family

LOL you're fucking mad :L I'm catholic and i pretty much agreed with everything you said up until this point. Bloody hell :L
  • Options
    I dont' think anybody should get married at all, gay or straight. It is a tool that, historically, was used to keep women in their place. For a price, her skill set, or burden is passed from father to husband. Or, in the case of the wealthy, women were pretty much sold for status, allies and additional wealth. It was also used to keep a woman from sexualizing with others (while that was still ok with a man on the dl). It is believed that some of the first marriages came about (group or individual) so the man could be sure that any children that his women had were his. Being legally binded to another person has no place in todays society.

I can understand why those who are religious would like to be married, as it is a part of what they believe, but for the majority of others, I believe it is nothing more than a social requirement. Marriage is simply what you are supposed to do, and that is why you do it.
  • Options
    My mums side is all catholic, all 9 marriages were those of love. None have (or ever will imo) end in divorce. None of them were social requirement, my parents certainly didn't get married cos of social requirement and I won't either. I'll get married to have kids and be in a loving relationship with someone I care about and someone who cares about me because that's what I wanna do, got nothing to do with what i'm 'supposed' to do.
  • Options
    Why do you feel like you have to be married, though? Why couldn't you be in a stable loving long term relationship with or without kids without marriage?
  • Options
    I see my names point though. I mean it's always assumed that marriage is just what people do, long term couples get asked when they're going to get engaged/married. Single people start getting questioned once past their late 20's. My cousin is now in her 40's and has never had any desire to get married, despite having long term relationships and a daughter. She's just never wanted to and she still gets asked why.
  • Options
    I don't want to get married. I also have no desire to have sex or reproduce. The only reason I would consider marriage is financial reasons as I would like to get off benefits and have more money and more opportunities to do things. But then it would have to be a sexless marriage.
  • Options
    because of the religious side of marriage. being joined in such a way means a lot to me. being able to make a commitment like that and have someone else do the same for me means a hell of a lot to me :P
  • Options
    Freemasons do not rule the world.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I don't want to get married. I also have no desire to have sex or reproduce. The only reason I would consider marriage is financial reasons as I would like to get off benefits and have more money and more opportunities to do things. But then it would have to be a sexless marriage.

That's a pretty tall order to ask someone to be ok with no sex, unless they also had no sexual desire (which will be hard to find). Would you still expect them to be faithful? Just curious.
  • Options
    my dad waited for my mum until their wedding night. i think if you love someone and they love you you'd go to the ends of the earth for them
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's a pretty tall order to ask someone to be ok with no sex, unless they also had no sexual desire (which will be hard to find). Would you still expect them to be faithful? Just curious.

I haven't given it too much thought. I have friends with no sexual desires who are married (other abuse survivors) but they aren't happy. I would like the spouse to whip me though so maybe they'd enjoy that.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    because of the religious side of marriage. being joined in such a way means a lot to me. being able to make a commitment like that and have someone else do the same for me means a hell of a lot to me :P

To be fair it does say in the Bible that it is better to be single than married.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    To be fair it does say in the Bible that it is better to be single than married.

so?
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    On that basis should the BBC be banned from making programmes involving children?
    If they continued to actively cover things up and refused to cooperate with investigations, yes. But to my knowledge, the BBC hasn't done this.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Why do you feel like you have to be married, though? Why couldn't you be in a stable loving long term relationship with or without kids without marriage?
    It does make things more complicated if one of you dies though. It's much easier from a legal perspective simply to get married. This is doubly the case if you're with someone from another country.