Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You accept that homosexuality is beyond that persons control - but that they should 'accept the consequences'. Makes it sound like they're being punished for 'not being natural.' Who says homosexuality isn't natural? You could argue that it helps curb population growth. Homosexuality has also been observed in other species. Also, who are we to say what they should make do with instead and just be happy with that?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Also, who are we to say what they should make do with instead and just be happy with that?

Perhaps the title of this thread may shed some light on that?
  • Options
    Accipiter wrote: »
    Perhaps a better way to word it would be saying to accept the limitations of their sexuality. And I don't just apply it to homosexual people, I apply it to everyone. I am heterosexual, so I cannot get a civil partnership, for example.

I do not argue that it is not natural, because I don't know if it is or not. But I believe firmly in the whole survival of the fittest stuff, where reproduction is key. So if you're gay, you cannot reproduce - therefore in my eyes it is wrong to give gay couples children, as nature has not allowed for homosexual couples to have offspring.

I love the whole idea of curbing population growth. But the population of humans will sort itself out - we're a self destructive species.

They should make do with what they have and be happy with that because they are homosexual. Their sexual orientation will impose some limits on what they can and can't do. The same goes for being heterosexual.

Ah right I see what you're saying now. But the fact that there are children available to foster/adopt just proves that being able to reproduce doesn't automatically mean you can or should. The children do nothing wrong so finding love in a gay family is better than nothing in my eyes. It also takes pressure off the system.

What limitations do you think being heterosexual imposes?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »

What limitations do you think being heterosexual imposes?

Dress sense?
  • Options
    Can't have civil partnership, and following the natural path would entail reproduction in order to have children. Ew.

I'd much rather be a lesbian. The only problem is that I am not attracted to women.

Is there anywhere that says a straight couple can't opt for a civil ceremony instead? I've heard of people getting 'blessings' and then just making it legal in a registry office. I've never looked into it though. You could always use a turkey baster :P
  • Options
    How does allowing gay couples to adopt increase population growth? It's not like they're growing extra babies to keep up with demand. And why should the same rule not apply to infertile couples? They can't conceive naturally either.

Am on my phone so not going to go into "accepting their limitations". Just that if we were back not even all that many years, accepting their limitations would mean a whole lot worse than not being able to get married or adopt children.
  • Options
    And do you think my views are stupid? I ask out of genuine curiosity.

I wouldn't say they were stupid, ignorant maybe but not stupid.

You know that marriage isn't "natural" either. It a man-made construct and can therefore be defined by man. For me the issue is that there is no justifiable reason for restricting the right to get married solely to heterosexuals. Marriage isn't about procreation, it's about love.

As for adoption, you say "homosexuality is a genetic dead end. For this reason, I believe that gay/lesbian couples should not be allowed to adopt children". I'm not sure I see the link between the two. Can you expand?
  • Options
    No, marriage is not natural, but it has been created by man and defined by man. I don't like change, and the way I believe marriage to be defined should not be altered. Marriage may be about love, but I struggle to understand the concept of love, so I find it tricky to understand your view.

Let's put that another way then. Given that you cannot understand the concept, why should your view be imposed on someone else? That is effectively what the "ban" on homosexual marriage does.
    By the way, how is my opinion ignorant? Being my opinions, I see them as right, so you'll have to explain it all to me. xD

Ignorant for the very reason you give yourself. You cannot understand the concept involved.
    When they adopt a child, they have to raise it. The whole idea of a homosexual couple raising a child goes against what I believe to be right, due to the whole dead end business.

Genetically though, they are still able to become a parent.
  • Options
    what about bisexuals. Can they adopt half a baby?
  • Options
    In all honesty, I don't think adoption is right, but I can see that it might be necessary.

I'm interested in this, why is adoption wrong?
  • Options
    Maybe I have just been exposed to the bad side of homosexuality by having a lesbian friend who is very into equal rights for gays

How very dare she.

Black people will be wanting to sit wherever they like on buses next.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    How very dare she.

Black people will be wanting to sit wherever they like on buses next.

I think he may have meant his friend was somewhat overbearing in her activism.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    I think he may have meant his friend was somewhat overbearing in her activism.

So was Rosa Parks ;)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    So was Rosa Parks ;)

Was she so overbearing that even those that sympathised with her were almost intimidated in her presence? I hope not.
  • Options
    Because young are supposed to be raised by relatives. This is dependent on species, really. For example, the cuckoo is not reared by its parents, but to my knowledge, humans would naturally live in small family groups, and the birth mother would be the main carer of the offspring.

But I get that my ideas are maybe weird to people. I don't know.

In an ideal world yes. But this isn't an ideal world. Being the natural parent does not automatically make you the most appropriate carer for that offspring.
  • Options
    But that is where natural selection should kick in. But people have twisted society so it doesn't.

So we should leave said children with neglectful parents to die off? That sounds like a more twisted society than one that cares for unfortunate children. Taking on orphaned/abandoned offspring happens in other species too
  • Options
    It does, but often quite a rare thing to happen. I know it sounds twisted, but it works. It kind of fits, all slots neatly into place. It works. But other people don't understand it.

Do explain
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I barely see any difference in the mentality of a person who says "Problem: I think my breasts/lips/whatever are too small/big/whatever. Solution: Surgery!" and someone who says "Problem: I think I have one arm too many. Solution: Amputation!".
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I barely see any difference in the mentality of a person who says "Problem: I think my breasts/lips/whatever are too small/big/whatever. Solution: Surgery!" and someone who says "Problem: I think I have one arm too many. Solution: Amputation!".

I agree. I think anyone who has such low self esteem that they feel the need to have parts chopped off/added to need serious help.
  • Options

Does that include people who have breast reduction surgery? Breast cancer survivors who've had mastectomies?

Imo, if the guy wants to chop his arm off, far be it from me to tell him not to. It's his body and if he doesn't like it and there's an option to fix what he doesn't like then awesome.

People like Katie Price who get addicted to it and are never satisfied, I see your point. But if someone feels more confident and happy with a couple extra cup sizes then I think good on them.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Does that include people who have breast reduction surgery? Breast cancer survivors who've had mastectomies?
    No, I'm talking about mental problems, not physical ones. I thought that much was obvious. Unless you're just pretending not to have understood.
  • Options
    I strongly believe that homosexuality is a genetic dead end.
    Except it isn't - in nature there are advantages to the family group and so the trait is kept by natural selection
    Furthermore, I am firmly against gay marriage. In my eyes, marriage is the union of a man and a woman.
    OK, that's in your eyes - on other people's eyes it means other things.
    Homosexual couples can have a civil partnership instead, which I regard as a good alternative, and they should be content with this.
    they should stay in their ghetto? I refuse to accept modern legislation that includes discrimination based on sex. If a man and a woman were capable of entering into a civil partnership I'd have far fewer objections to it.

At the very least, gay/lesbian couples should not get married in a church, as I think this is insulting to religious beliefs.
    Annnd you've just insulted the beliefs of those religions that wish to marry same sex couples.
    surely straight people should be allowed to have a civil partnership?
    absolutely
    My conclusion: accept the consequences of your sexuality.

accept the death penalty? never.
  • Options
    accept the death penalty? never.

There is no death penalty here though
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    There is no death penalty here though

There is, but not for very many things.

I think what CR is getting at is that homosexuality used to be one of those things (I think, someone will surely be along to tell me if I'm wrong soon enough!).
  • Options
    Accipiter- I am bisexual. Lets say I had a baby with a man, but later split up with that man and was in a relationship with a women. Am I not allowed to keep my baby?
  • Options
    Pretty sure the death sentence has been completely abolished here? But it's not 'one of those things' anymore.. so it's not really relevant surely? :P
  • Options
    Homosexual activity is still punishable by death on this planet.

The death penalty hasn't been in UK law since 1998 (or 2003 if you include wartime provisions)
  • Options
    Black people can sit where they like??

Yes, they can.

I was being facetious to outline how ridiculous that statement was. That you think "the dark side" of homosexuality is wanting to be seen as an equal, worthy human being, however vocally.

Also, you think you have to be gay to support gay rights. Really?!
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Pretty sure the death sentence has been completely abolished here? But it's not 'one of those things' anymore.. so it's not really relevant surely? :P

Point is, if it wasn't for those people Accipiter is talking about who campaign for gay rights, it's entirely possible that it could be. And if we were from a country that does still kill people for their sexual preference, would we still be insisting that they "accept the limitations of their sexuality"? Because in some places that means hiding who you are for fear of being stoned to death.
  • Options
    If they are scared of being stoned to death, can't they move away?

Why should they have to?

Why should anyone have to leave where they were born and brought up, where their friends and family are, because of the way they were born?

Make it about black people in your head again, would you say to a black person to move away if they are scared of getting lynched because they're black?