Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haterz gonna hate
  • Options
    When you say homeopathic, are you talking about the specific remedies that are "single drops of X in water" or are you including essential oil stuff like Lavender helps you sleep?
  • Options
    Does it matter if it is real or just placebo? for those it provides relief it is a cost effective solution with minor side effects.
  • Options
    Does it matter if it is real or just placebo? for those it provides relief it is a cost effective solution with minor side effects.

Like malaria or death, if you take homoeopathic antimalarials. And you can get the placebo a lot cheaper than paying homoeopathic "doctors" for sugar pills.
  • Options
    im talking about proper homeopathy.

im not gonna tell anyone to try it, but ive had very good results when conventional medicine failed.

If it was gonna be placebo, im sure whatever thing i tried first would have worked no?

Ive had this debate here before anyway and im not particularly interested in whether youre into it or not, and i dont think it is actually provided on the NHS in many areas, if at all.

If anyone tries it for something dangerous as opposed to conventional medicine, then it may be misguided, but the majority of homeopaths wouldnt recommend that as they dont tend to be business people and they WANT people to be well.
    Its all "cool" to debunk homeopathy without trying it, but there is actually still a lot of stuff that cant be explained, and its pretty arrogant to think because you cant explain it yet, then it doesnt work.
    It is however a holistic treatment, and while one treatment may work for one person, it would be another for someone else for the same thing.

Theres not much that would calm my screaming babies who wouldnt sleep except for chamomilla 30c or 6c, and when i had terrible morning sickness (and hangovers) i reached for nux vomica 30c
    My sons molluscum contagiusum was cleared up within a couple of days with a homeopathic remedy (think it was nat mur) when doctors couldnt do anything, and then 2 friends whos kids had the same thing for ages, went to the same homeopath and the treatment cleared the warts up within 24 hours. None of the kids even knew they were being treated, so so much for placebo.
    Yes, hocus pocus, witchcraft, woo. I know. Its not supposed to work. I almost wish it didnt because id prefer to be scientific.

oh and i had a major allergic reaction all over my face once that steroid creams and antihostamines didnt touch, but within hours of taking apis mel, the swelling went down, so sorry conventional medicine. I now have a homeopathic medicine box that i reach for first, and normally its pretty good. Arsenic alb is good for runny noses and colds.

I wouldnt have even tried it if it wasnt for Mr creamcheeses granny who is really into it, and now im quietly converted, but yes, its not cool to admit, but it seems to be providing me with more good than harm. And of course, noones being forced to try it.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    When you say homeopathic, are you talking about the specific remedies that are "single drops of X in water" or are you including essential oil stuff like Lavender helps you sleep?

Homeopathy is very different from aromatherapy which does have lots of scientific "proof" to back it up. As do many other complementary therapies - massage/naturopathy/acupuncture for instance.
  • Options
    Like malaria or death, if you take homoeopathic antimalarials.
    That fails the "if it provides relief" test
    And you can get the placebo a lot cheaper than paying homoeopathic "doctors" for sugar pills.
    Not necessarily, tic-tacs can work for some things, but studies show that the strength of a placebo is related to the perceived complexity
  • Options
    Lol yea also I can control weather with my genitals. Just because it's cool to call me crazy doesn't make it not true. Sorry guise.
  • Options
    A dilution of 30c means that there is one part of the substance to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000 parts water. So pure water.

If molecules could leave an imprint on other molecules then the air around us would be a source of such tremendous healing that there would be no need to buy any homoeopathic medicine as you would get an equivalent dose just by breathing.

If molecules could imprint on other molecules then we would all be dead. If such diluted solutions can be healthy then it stands to reason that toxic substances can have the same effect and we would all have been poisoned.
  • Options
    I mean there might be some misunderstood science that makes it work, I can't disprove that practically. It's like disproving god. I don't know if it's possible.

However we can, and have, done studies to test fairly how these medicines work against something which is known to have to no medical affect other than the well understood placebo effect. E.g. Sugar pills.

These tests have a strong consensus that they have no increased performance over placebos. They even give reasons for why people may believe they do work.

This isn't some in vogue conspiracy theory, homeopathy isn't new and if it did work as claimed people would be very interested in researching and developing it. But despite all the studies done there is no strong evidence that it holds any medical efficacy.

That's not to stop anyone making their own leaps of faith. It could work. It's just not been shown to by the research consensus to date.
  • Options
    that is as maybe, but there is no big advertising campaign, or any funding put into proving it.

Obviously there IS a lot of money in disproving it.

I just dont see why people are so against it or interested in finding reasons to ridicule it.

If you dont want to try it, dont.

Its like ear candling and reiki.No proof, but ive never heard people go on about those, but people love homeopathy bashing and it just has happened to work really well for me and many others.

With enough money and power you can get anything proved or disproved. Im not saying theyd find proof. Im just saying why go on about something harmless. Who died from homeopathy???
  • Options
    I think the only reason there was a reaction against it here was because it was raised first. I see what you mean though, it's like some atheists against religion perhaps. Warriors without causes I like to refer to them as, passionate about proving a point about something which doesn't really affect them either way.
  • Options
    a bit like that in a way, except religion really does affect peoples lives the world over and is the main cause of war.

People who like homeopathy are generally just people taking an unconventional approach to taking care of their own health. Ive never met a pushy homeopath. Its always something that people seek out for themselves
  • Options
    That fails the "if it provides relief" test

It provides relief from not having malaria and exhibiting symptoms of life.
    Not necessarily, tic-tacs can work for some things, but studies show that the strength of a placebo is related to the perceived complexity

You think it's not possible to achieve placebo effects without having to jettison critical thinking skills and wads of cash? Did you know you can even achieve a placebo effect when the patients knows they're receiving a placebo? No woo necessary.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's quite simple. I have a problem with people saying that homeopathic medicine is an effective treatment for anything because I have a problem with lies.

People may not have died directly form any homeopathic treatments but many homeopaths have a negative attitude to immunisation and convential medicine (medicine that works). This is dangerous. If you end up with a situation where people are taking magic water instead of proven drugs then peoples lives will be at risk.

Homeopathy is a money spinner and it is a con. It's something the NHS should definitely not be paying for.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    tObviously there IS a lot of money in disproving it.

Yes, we could stop funding on the NHS and claw back the hundreds of thousands spend on it every year.
    I just dont see why people are so against it or interested in finding reasons to ridicule it.

If you dont want to try it, dont.

If it stopped at middle class mothers taking it for vague, wish-washy ailments after an actual doctor has had a look, that'd be fine. But it doesn't. And it teaches people to ignore critical thinking and concerns about evidence.
    Its like ear candling and reiki.No proof, but ive never heard people go on about those, but people love homeopathy bashing and it just has happened to work really well for me and many others.

If the NHS is funding those you'll hear me moan about that too.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    8:2(1+3)=16
  • Options
    8:2(1+3)=16

I would notate it as (8/2) * (1+3) to make it clearer, since using a computer keyboard to illustrate maths doesn't lend itself to nuances that hand writing or other forms such as latex do.
  • Options
    That would beat the point. And as long as you have a linear expression (no fractions or anything) using only basic symbols like +, -, *, : and () there's no difference.
  • Options
    i use homeopathy and i also vaccinate. As do most people who use it.

You get nutters in all walks of life.
  • Options
    That would beat the point. And as long as you have a linear expression (no fractions or anything) using only basic symbols like +, -, *, : and () there's no difference.

Except for those of us who aren't mathematicians, / is easier to understand than :
  • Options
    The NHS provides many treatments that dont work and many that do. This is not confined to homeopathy.
    There is evidence to say that antidepressent medication is no more effective than placebos, yet many find they work for them. They have worked for me. If youre so arrogant to say that you know how the body works, and im pretty sure you know fuck all about both conventional medicine AND alternative medicine.
    How about let people find what works FOR THEM
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Except for those of us who aren't mathematicians, / is easier to understand than :
    OK, I thought : was standard for simple calculations.
    But in any case: Writing the way ShyBoy did would beat the point, which is that people somehow think that calculations adjacent to set of parentheses take precedence to the rest of the calculations outside the parentheses and don't accept they're wrong.
  • Options
    I think : is standard most places and at a higher level but it's not what I was taught. I await someone proving me wrong...
  • Options
    OK, I thought : was standard for simple calculations.
    But in any case: Writing the way ShyBoy did would beat the point, which is that people somehow think that calculations adjacent to set of parentheses take precedence to the rest of the calculations outside the parentheses and don't accept they're wrong.

Honestly the way you wrote it is dishonest, I studied Maths at uni for a year before switching so learned the fundamentals at least and being clear in notation is fairly important.

After posting a simple maths problem online notated in a similar way my lecturer said DONT USE PLAIN TEXT for expressing mathematical stuff. We used moodle and the latex / tex plugin or whatever so you would type it out and the computer would convert it to symbols to be clear about what you mean. One of the reasons I dropped Maths was I found the whole form over function of the first year too onerous :D

Nevertheless, a lot of these go round on Facebook to be deliberately vague to catch 'stupid' people out.

I googled it and there's a little article here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/48293

http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/commerrs/#Fractions
  • Options
    The NHS provides many treatments that dont work and many that do. This is not confined to homeopathy.
    There is evidence to say that antidepressent medication is no more effective than placebos, yet many find they work for them. They have worked for me. If youre so arrogant to say that you know how the body works, and im pretty sure you know fuck all about both conventional medicine AND alternative medicine.
    How about let people find what works FOR THEM

Whilst I understand where you're coming from, but you are making a bit of a leap halfway through there. Anti depressants have been shown to be clinically effective. Not always and some alternative treatments can be even more effective. A friend of mine who worked for GSK actually said one of the most helpful treatments for depression was simply giving somebody a weekly appointment to show up to, as it gives them a vague routine - actually scores higher than anti depressant drugs on improving health long term.

The problem with homeopathy isn't that it is scientifically impossible to ever work or help, but simply the statement that it has not been shown to be clinically effective [yet]. Maybe it will one day. The way we generally determine 'how the body works' isn't through what we feel is right or whatever, but evidence based research. So I think its not too far of a stretch to say, based on our current understanding of human physiology and pharmacology, despite the extensive history of homeopathy pre-dating the modern medical era, we do not have conclusive evidence it does anything. Maybe that lack of evidence in itself could be used to imply that it doesn't work - in the same way the lack of evidence rain dances influence the weather currently exists.

But thats not to say anyone should deny you your right to do what you feel is right for you. But surely you see why many people would object to the NHS providing treatment with no proven efficacy. As I said, the current debate within the NHS isn't whether it works - but whether its dishonest or unethical to provide it as a viable medical treatment in the absence of evidence. Then again, the NHS despite being hugely efficient and fantastic at what it does, also does a lot of other strange things that cost money but have little benefit. It hasn't got the marginal mix of resource utilisation quite right yet (arguably it never will as needs change all the time). For example Miss Riot pointed out quite a few pages back the exhorbitant amount we spend on marginal cancer cases vs the severe under resourcing for mental health support despite the fact that 1 in 4 people at my last reading of the 'pop stats' will get depression in any given year.

Honestly though my view is that if it makes someone feel better then its doing its job.
  • Options
    It provides relief from not having malaria and exhibiting symptoms of life.
    If that's how you want to define success, I'm sure biig pharma would love to have you regulating them
    You think it's not possible to achieve placebo effects without having to jettison critical thinking skills and wads of cash?
    no I don't think it's not possible
    Did you know you can even achieve a placebo effect when the patients knows they're receiving a placebo? No woo necessary.
    Yes, I did
  • Options
    The biggest problem is that it dresses itself up as science, which gets on the tits of scientists - it would, I think, have had a lot less backlash if it had just stayed with the "this works, we don't know why" rather than talking about vibrations - trying to attach itself to quantum theory is another example.

Homeopaths have put effort into proving it works, but their studies are really badly designed. On the flip side many of the studies "against" are really badly done - making scientific versions of the remedies for instance
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I would notate it as (8/2) * (1+3) to make it clearer, since using a computer keyboard to illustrate maths doesn't lend itself to nuances that hand writing or other forms such as latex do.

I would notate it as 8 2 / 1 3 + *
  • Options
    There was a really good infographic I saw months ago of 'popular medical treatments' vs effectiveness.

The big surprise for me was one that is REALLY popular but also really works well, is those probiotic yoghurts.

Pretty sure homeopathy was one of the ones thats really popular with next to no scientific support for any effectiveness.

I'll try to dig it out later (currently in a game atm).