Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

am i autistic?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Proving my point that you need help with communication. Do you give similar reactions to people in real life?

No. Well, OK, sometimes.

But you hold no right to deny me what is rightfully mine. And my points to G stand. They apply to all human interaction.
  • Options
    I'm not denying you anything.... I think you are right, you have issues with communication. The next step is for YOU to do something about it, I'm not stopping you, I think you should try.
  • Options
    I'm not denying you anything.... I think you are right, you have issues with communication. The next step is for YOU to do something about it, I'm not stopping you, I think you should try.

I want the normal knowledge of life. There is no reason why I cannot have it.

And I sense you're trying to impose again. Why? Please don't do this, I find it offensive. You may think I'm being rude, but it's rude also to impose conversations.
  • Options
    You sense what you sense but because your communication is not normal, you are sensing what is not there.

What is it that you 'sense' I am trying to impose?

Perhaps the reason that you cannot have the 'normal' knowledge of life is that you have some kind of problem with understanding such things. This is your suggestion and I agree with you. In this case, your lack of ability to understand is the very reason that you do not understand.

Saying 'I want' is an infantile phrase that attempts to position the listener in a parental role to your childlike one: you are an adult as am I so... that kind of approach won't get you far with me.

You have given suggestions for things that you could do, like seeing a different doctor, I think that would be a good idea. You can either do something, or nothing - your choice.
  • Options
    "I want" since it's my right to get. My acquiring of it does not negatively impinge on anybody. It's also adult to respect others' right to live, and act wholesomely. I want the normal knowledge of life, and I don't believe this comes via learning. I think it comes by default, or at the least we have the ability to discern it by default.

And you are trying to impose. It's medically documented that all human interaction is equal. You are attempting to state that I should give in to your point, and I give in to and am subservient to nobody. It's how I am, and it won't change.
  • Options
    Moreover, I'd like to know what people will do when I have the same knowledge of life.

Will they hit me? Scorn me? In general not act as wholesome people? I don't hit or scorn people, so why should anybody else? :no: What is the effect? And why should there be an effect?
  • Options
    WELL GO AND LEARN IT, IM NOT IMPOSING OR STOPPING YOU, I WANT YOU TO GET IT. Clear?
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    WELL GO AND LEARN IT, IM NOT IMPOSING OR STOPPING YOU, I WANT YOU TO GET IT. Clear?

G, please, as a last favour man - just take a step back and think, what would it mean if someone actually couldn't understand what I'm saying or the advice I'm giving but still wanted to?

That's what it can be like for people with ASD conditions, even if that may or may not apply here.

Repetition may actually not help so might be best to wait until something has changed in the situation?

Sorry man and sorry Kira, I know things must be frustrating for a lot of people in this thread.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    "I want" since it's my right to get. My acquiring of it does not negatively impinge on anybody. It's also adult to respect others' right to live, and act wholesomely. I want the normal knowledge of life, and I don't believe this comes via learning. I think it comes by default, or at the least we have the ability to discern it by default.

I am trying to help with your communication, which is the only reason I pointed out why the phrase "I want" isn't helpful to you in the situation of asking for advise on this discussion board.

If these things come by default (which I don't necessarily agree with), and you haven't or can't learn them, what do you think would help you now?
    And you are trying to impose. It's medically documented that all human interaction is equal. You are attempting to state that I should give in to your point, and I give in to and am subservient to nobody. It's how I am, and it won't change.

What am I trying to impose? I am not trying to get you to agree with my own point, as my point is that I agree with you that you have problems with communication and human interaction.

Unfortunately, not all human interaction is equal, people and their levels of ability are very different.

What is your goal with regard to communication and human interaction and what do you think would help?
  • Options
    I am trying to help with your communication, which is the only reason I pointed out why the phrase "I want" isn't helpful to you in the situation of asking for advise on this discussion board.

If these things come by default (which I don't necessarily agree with), and you haven't or can't learn them, what do you think would help you now?

It does come by default. It should to me also.
    What am I trying to impose? I am not trying to get you to agree with my own point, as my point is that I agree with you that you have problems with communication and human interaction.

Unfortunately, not all human interaction is equal, people and their levels of ability are very different.

What is your goal with regard to communication and human interaction and what do you think would help?

Human interaction is equal. I think normal human interaction is that you earn trust/respect prior to any esteem is gained. Until then, it's detachment.

My goal is that I want the common wisdom of man. It's my right to have it, and nobody can stop me.
  • Options

Human interaction is equal. I think normal human interaction is that you earn trust/respect prior to any esteem is gained. Until then, it's detachment.

My goal is that I want the common wisdom of man. It's my right to have it, and nobody can stop me.

Ok, well suppose you're right about all of this. Suppose there are some truths of life that come to people by default, yet you say they haven't come to you. And suppose you're correct that it is your right to know these things.

What do you plan to do about it? What is your strategy going to be to acquire this knowledge that you think we all have without having to learn, that you don't?

Do you feel that other people are preventing you from acquiring this knowledge? Or is it just unfortunate that you don't have it?
  • Options

Ok, so let's say that it should. Clearly it hasn't. There's nothing we can do about it on this forum so unless you are expecting for us to wave a magic wand and you have all these truths of life you keep talking about, you're going to have to go and learn them for yourself.

The only person stopping you from having them is you.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Ok, well suppose you're right about all of this. Suppose there are some truths of life that come to people by default, yet you say they haven't come to you. And suppose you're correct that it is your right to know these things.

What do you plan to do about it? What is your strategy going to be to acquire this knowledge that you think we all have without having to learn, that you don't?

Do you feel that other people are preventing you from acquiring this knowledge? Or is it just unfortunate that you don't have it?

Yes, they are. I think it should be implanted in my brain.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Ok, so let's say that it should. Clearly it hasn't. There's nothing we can do about it on this forum so unless you are expecting for us to wave a magic wand and you have all these truths of life you keep talking about, you're going to have to go and learn them for yourself.

The only person stopping you from having them is you.

How so? Everybody else gets them by default, so I should also.
  • Options

I'm afraid that they can't 'implant' it into your brain, physically or metaphorically.
  • Options

Ok, well unfortunately, medical science is not quite there yet. If indeed you are autistic, there is currently nothing that can be implanted in your brain to make you have access to the truths of life that you believe everyone else possesses by default.

Nobody is denying you your rights, because you can't have a right to something which it is physically impossible for you to receive, which this is.

There are other possibilities, none of which will cure or eradicate your autism, if indeed that is what you have. As has been mentioned, there are various types of therapy that may help. Additionally, you can work very hard in social settings, paying close attention and listen carefully to others, and try hard to learn all the things which you believe we all know by default.

But you're going to have to give up on the dream of having something implanted in your brain that will make you "normal". Because such a thing does not exist.
  • Options
    How so? Everybody else gets them by default, so I should also.
    Ok, maybe you should.

So, what are you going to do about it? We can't do anything about it because none of us know you, even if there was this magic implantation device. People in this thread have already given you advice on how you should go about making life better for yourself. Sitting on your arse and doing nothing won't help anything, and nobody in the world gets what they want just by doing that.
  • Options
    I think that maybe the mods are afraid to call a spade a spade, because this is an issue you have to tread carefully around. I'm not saying K doesn't have issues, but I think it's a troll.

I've seen autism in action - autistics demonstrate social ineptness but are not stupid, and Kira's refusal to accept or consider other people's view points strikes me as the latter, not the former. Kira hasn't been demonstrating signs of autism in this thread for some time, just stubborn-mindedness, and as someone who has a bit of experience with autistics I would differentiate.

FWIW, my bet is BPD.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I think that maybe the mods are afraid to call a spade a spade, because this is an issue you have to tread carefully around. I'm not saying K doesn't have issues, but I think it's a troll.

I've seen autism in action - autistics demonstrate social ineptness but are not stupid, and Kira's refusal to accept or consider other people's view points strikes me as the latter, not the former. Kira hasn't been demonstrating signs of autism in this thread for some time, just stubborn-mindedness, and as someone who has a bit of experience with autistics I would differentiate.

FWIW, my bet is BPD.

Why do say I'm a manic depressive?

And I notice that a lot of persons are contradictory.
  • Options
    By BPD, I think Evenstar means borderline personality disorder rather than bi polar disorder.
  • Options
    :yes:
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    By BPD, I think Evenstar means borderline personality disorder rather than bi polar disorder.

:yes:
  • Options

What is borderline personality disorder?
  • Options
    What is borderline personality disorder?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=borderline+personality+disorder
  • Options
    According to the MIND website, it's a psychiatric disorder that doctors can sometimes diagnose if five or more of the following symptoms are present:

* having emotions that are up and down (for example, feeling confident one day and feeling despair another), with feelings of emptiness and often anger
    * difficulty in making and maintaining relationships
    * having an unstable sense of identity, such as thinking differently about yourself depending on who you are with
    * taking risks or doing things without thinking about the consequences
    * harming yourself or thinking about harming yourself (for example, cutting yourself or overdosing)
    * fearing being abandoned or rejected or being alone
    * sometimes believing in things that are not real or true (called delusions) or seeing or hearing things that are not really there (called hallucinations).

See http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/borderline_personality_disorder
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »

This is what I think too.
    Im thinking if there is autism there, then thats not the biggest problem Kira faces. Its something else entirely.
  • Options
    This is what I think too.
    Im thinking if there is autism there, then thats not the biggest problem Kira faces. Its something else entirely.

Such as what?
  • Options
    I agree that Kira has problems...
  • Options
    I agree that Kira has problems...

How so?
  • Options
    According to the MIND website, it's a psychiatric disorder that doctors can sometimes diagnose if five or more of the following symptoms are present:

* having emotions that are up and down (for example, feeling confident one day and feeling despair another), with feelings of emptiness and often anger
    * difficulty in making and maintaining relationships
    * having an unstable sense of identity, such as thinking differently about yourself depending on who you are with
    * taking risks or doing things without thinking about the consequences
    * harming yourself or thinking about harming yourself (for example, cutting yourself or overdosing)
    * fearing being abandoned or rejected or being alone
    * sometimes believing in things that are not real or true (called delusions) or seeing or hearing things that are not really there (called hallucinations).

See http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/borderline_personality_disorder

I don't see those symptoms in me.
  • Options
    Such as what?

I have no idea, Im not a psychiatrist, but I think you need to see one.
This discussion has been closed.