Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetariaaaaaaan

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Without being bashful, but I guess this will be: I come to the conclusion that vegan people are some kind of insane. You can't just call them like that, because they think they are right in their decision. Just like everyone voluntarily in scientology is insane to me, for example, but no lunatic would see himself as unfit in the head. If you rather die than eat a chicken egg or drink a glass of milk then I will make it to my task to cheat milk/cheese/egg into your food and see if you will really die.
    Olive wrote: »
    I eat quorn AND cute, fluffy animals :eek2:

*Tiptoes out of the thread*

*head as plodes*
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Without being bashful, but I guess this will be: I come to the conclusion that vegan people are some kind of insane. You can't just call them like that, because they think they are right in their decision. Just like everyone voluntarily in scientology is insane to me, for example, but no lunatic would see himself as unfit in the head. If you rather die than eat a chicken egg or drink a glass of milk then I will make it to my task to cheat milk/cheese/egg into your food and see if you will really die.

*head as plodes*

bzanimalrightscartoon07b.jpg

I think you're insane too! So we are equal. But I have nothing against your views to eat meat... I just think they are abit... how to put this nicely... Old school ;) I hope you can see where I'm coming from?
    Oh, and I would like to point out, if I did eat meat I would get seriously ill for a while- because I've never eaten it. And, can safely say, I never will- not even by accident :yes: I check everything before it gets in my body.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldn't eat animal produce even in a life death situation.

I hope that's not true.

I resepect that people want to make sure that the animals our meat comes from have a pretty decent quality of life. That however doesn't have to mean abstaining from meat completely.

Never been able to understand the squeamishness about the eating of an animal though. It's a perfectly natural think to do. Things die, species eat other species. IT'S LIFE.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm not scared or what ever. It's a moral view. And, it may be life, but it's not my life. And it is true. If I ate animal produce, I would feel the need to kill myself- as I can't live with the guilt.
    C-A
  • Options
    Lets say the grandma was blind and stupid, yeah?
  • Options
    Still wouldn't eat it :-p
    C-A x
  • Options
    I'm a strict vegetarian and have been for several years,and for your information, that situation did arise at my grandmother's house last weekend. I'm not creating scenarios to catch veggies out.
    Me, I didn't eat the chicken, I gave it to my grandfather who happily ate it.
  • Options
    God, I'd demand another plate.
    C-A x
  • Options
    What do you mean you'd demand another plate?
  • Options
    I wouldn't eat from a plate that had meat on it unless it was washed... as thats like putting milk in a cup, tipping it out, then filling it with juice.
    Which I wouldn't do :-) As it had been there... and there would still be bits of it still there, till it was cleaned.
    C-A x
  • Options
    Well no. That would be a bit not nice. But I had a clean plate anyway, so it was all ok :)
  • Options
    I know it wouldn't be nice, I'd just clean it myself. No fuss. I'm just very strict with it all...
    very strict.
    C-A x
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If I ate animal produce, I would feel the need to kill myself- as I can't live with the guilt.
    C-A

I don't believe that for that for second.

I don't like putting the 'in a life or death situation' line to vegetarian because it's unfair and for the most part unrealistic.
    Of course in a life or death situation they'd eat meat (well the sensible ones would anyway) because they know their survival's bigger than any personal opinion on animal welfare.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So now we know that neither of us would eat from a meaty plate :)
  • Options
    Agreed. lol x
    C-A x
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Sorry, I know this is a delayed response but having read back through the thread I am pretty annoyed with your 'arguements' (in ' ' because it appears to be the usual rude and intolerant ramblings rather than a rational discussion). A few points:

1. You hate arguing with 'bloody vegetarians' - this statement is extremely intolerant of other people's beliefs and ways of life, not all vegetarians think the same so it's pretty rude to generalise like this.

2. Vegetarians don't eat animals because they are 'cute and fluffy'? No-one in this thread has said anything along these lines so you have clearly made up this statement of what YOU believe vegetarians to think in your own head. If you're going to join in a debate then at least answer the points that people have made instead of making shit up.

3. How is eating meat the same as killing rats? People eat meat for pleasure, not because it's necessary, not because it's good for us, because they like it. People kill rats because they leave droppings, chew through food packets, spread disease and can bite humans. They put down rat poison as a necessity not for their own personal pleasure. Funny the way you look down on vegetarians for their perceptions but you can't see the difference between these two situations which are worlds apart.
    Apologies, I haven't been very specific in the post you've quoted. When I say bloody vegetarians I do not mean all vegetarians. I mean bloody minded ones. I completely accept that I didn't make that exactly clear. I have no problems with people choosing not to eat meat or meat products, especially as I eat a mainly veggie diet myself. I do have a problem with being lectured to by "bloody" vegetarians about how unhealthy MY diet is when I do fancy treating myself to a nice steak and how I am personally responsible for global warming as I obviously eat every sodding cow the world over.

I'm sure you can appreciate this view point as it's pretty much the reverse of veggies being told they can't resist a bacon sarnie.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    I'm a strict vegetarian and have been for several years,and for your information, that situation did arise at my grandmother's house last weekend. I'm not creating scenarios to catch veggies out.
    Me, I didn't eat the chicken, I gave it to my grandfather who happily ate it.

So it wasn't going to go in the bin then, was it?
  • Options
    aslong as your healthy and can eat the right foods to keep that way! veggie all the way!! (although Bacon unveggied me) JB x
  • Options
    I wouldn't eat animal produce even in a life death situation.

Yeah right.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    how I am personally responsible for global warming as I obviously eat every sodding cow the world over.

I thought cows were a fairly large factor in global warming, with all the farting and the methane? Surely eating all the cows would be beneficial to global warming :p:D?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I thought cows were a fairly large factor in global warming, with all the farting and the methane? Surely eating all the cows would be beneficial to global warming :p:D?

:lol:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Apologies, I haven't been very specific in the post you've quoted. When I say bloody vegetarians I do not mean all vegetarians. I mean bloody minded ones. I completely accept that I didn't make that exactly clear. I have no problems with people choosing not to eat meat or meat products, especially as I eat a mainly veggie diet myself. I do have a problem with being lectured to by "bloody" vegetarians about how unhealthy MY diet is when I do fancy treating myself to a nice steak and how I am personally responsible for global warming as I obviously eat every sodding cow the world over.

I'm sure you can appreciate this view point as it's pretty much the reverse of veggies being told they can't resist a bacon sarnie.

Fair do's, as long as you know we're not all the same. Most of us don't preach and get annoyed as meat eaters when veggies start having a go at meat eaters, gives us all a bad name
  • Options

The cows wouldn't be there to fart if they weren't being bred for meat :p
  • Options
    i like meat. but i hate eating battery chickens and pork raised inside etc. i want the animals to have had a humane life, out in the open, and preferably organic. I'd actually prefer to eat meat that i have raised because then i know exactly what has gone into that animal. but i still eat battery chickens and pork raised inside because my budget doesn't currently make allowances for organic free range meat.

ecologically - vegetarianism makes sense.
    Raising livestock for their meat is a very inefficient way of generating food. Pound for pound, far more resources must be expended to produce meat than to produce grains, fruits and vegetables. For example, more than half of all water used for all purposes in the U.S. is consumed in livestock production. The amount of water used in production of the average cow is sufficient to float a destroyer (a large naval ship). While 25 gallons of water are needed to produce a pound of wheat, 5,000 gallons are needed to produce a pound of California beef. That same 5,000 gallons of water can produce 200 pounds of wheat. If this water cost were not subsidized by the government, the cheapest hamburger meat would cost more than $35 per pound.

i used to be a veggie, and then for health reasons i became a meat eater again. i go through phases of not eating meat and only eat meat twice a week, but i would love to go back to being a veggie - or eating only organic free range meat bought at a local butchers
  • Options
    So it wasn't going to go in the bin then, was it?
    Until someone accused me of creating scenarios to 'catch veggies out', I was not talking about that particular situation which I experienced. I was simply curious about what other vegetarians would do if the meat would be wasted otherwise.
  • Options

Ummm, milk?
  • Options
    Don't spoil my fun woman :p.
  • Options
    Don't spoil my fun woman :p.

You just want to eat all the cows :D
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Until someone accused me of creating scenarios to 'catch veggies out', I was not talking about that particular situation which I experienced. I was simply curious about what other vegetarians would do if the meat would be wasted otherwise.

Well my point was that a situation like you first described was unlikely to manifest itself in everyday life, you then argued that the situation had happened to you recently, I pointed out that that wasn't true because the chicken wouldn't have gone in the bin had you not eaten it as your grandfather ate it.

I'm not really sure what to say because you keep changing your story.
  • Options
    Funny how being a vegetarian pisses people off so. I turned veg as a kid to annoy my mother and it worked much better than my atheism.