Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetariaaaaaaan

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
and feeling a bit vexed. I sometimes claim to be a veggie for ease, but I'm not really one. Let's say I'm a fussy meat eater. :p

However, Jessica is the real deal and she's fed up of some of the comments she gets. Do any of these ring a bell? :)

I've definitely heard the Sunday lunch one a few times.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What doesn't feel normal is when other people feel they have the right to comment on my choice.

I agree with this. I don't care if people want to eat meat, so why should other people care that I don't?
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with all of it. When it comes up in conversation I think some people get a bit defensive and have to tell you how much they love meat and why it is ok to eat it - really makes no difference to me, you don't have to justify yourself or try and convert me! Then there is often talk of these stereotypical pushy, animal rights vegetarians who try and force their ideas on everyone - in 15 years of being veggie, I've never met one like it, but people often assume that you are going to start preaching.

Definitely also relate to the bit about "oh go on, just eat it, it won't hurt you" - I know this, and I'm not even the slightest bit tempted when you're waving your burger around in front of me!
  • Options
    I agree with this. I don't care if people want to eat meat, so why should other people care that I don't?

:yes:

And they quiz you on where exactly you're getting your iron, protein, vitamins from. Nevermind that most of the meat eaters I know don't get even one let along 5 a day - do I quiz them on how much vitamin C they're getting? No...so fuck off
  • Options
    We have some vegetarians come in for Sunday Lunch where I work. They have no meat for obvious reasons but they LOVE the gravy, it's quite amusing considering it's made up of all the fats from the meat.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    We have some vegetarians come in for Sunday Lunch where I work. They have no meat for obvious reasons but they LOVE the gravy, it's quite amusing considering it's made up of all the fats from the meat.

Why is that amusing? Just because someone likes meat it doesn't mean they agree with the farming practices and want to eat it

Do they know it's made of animal products? If not that's pretty shitty of you not to tell them. If they do they they're not vegetarians then
  • Options
    Of course the counter-argument to this is the vegetarians who try to push meat substitute products claiming that they taste as good as the real thing.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Why is that amusing? Just because someone likes meat it doesn't mean they agree with the farming practices and want to eat it

Do they know it's made of animal products? If not that's pretty shitty of you not to tell them. If they do they they're not vegetarians then

It is clear why it is amusing. Lighten up.

They do get vegetarian gravy, we make it for them, but they have in the past had the other gravy and commented on how nice it was. Hence why it is amusing considering they aren't meant to have it.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Do they know it's made of animal products? If not that's pretty shitty of you not to tell them.

It's not really. Where else would you get beef gravy from?

I had a freak housemate who was veggie for ethical reasons (she was not a freak for this reason). She reckoned she was sick if she even smelled a little bit of meat or meat product and always kicked off about us keeping steak or chicken in the shared fridge. She loved the chip shop chips, though. Such a shame the chippy used beef dripping...
    Mist wrote:
    Of course the counter-argument to this is the vegetarians who try to push meat substitute products claiming that they taste as good as the real thing.

I've never understood the point of meat substitute. If veggies don't like meat and don't want to eat meat then fine, but why use stuff that tastes like meat but isn't?
  • Options
    It is clear why it is amusing. Lighten up.

They do get vegetarian gravy, we make it for them, but they have in the past had the other gravy and commented on how nice it was. Hence why it is amusing considering they aren't meant to have it.

No it's not amusing, so what if they like the taste - like I just said for most vegetarians it's not about the taste it's about not agreeing with substandard farming practices
  • Options
    What "substandard farming practices"? Please point these out to me.

If people don't want to eat meat because it was all cute and fluffy once, then fine. But don't try and insult our intelligence by claiming this is about "substandard farming practices".

British farmers have some of the highest standards of husbandry in the world. So substantiate your statement (without linking to the fucknuggets at PETA) or retract it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's not really. Where else would you get beef gravy from?

I had a freak housemate who was veggie for ethical reasons (she was not a freak for this reason). She reckoned she was sick if she even smelled a little bit of meat or meat product and always kicked off about us keeping steak or chicken in the shared fridge. She loved the chip shop chips, though. Such a shame the chippy used beef dripping...

Not all veggies are like that, in fact very few are
    I've never understood the point of meat substitute. If veggies don't like meat and don't want to eat meat then fine, but why use stuff that tastes like meat but isn't?

Because they might not agree with the way animals are kept and killed, but still like to enjoy meals that would traditionally contain meat (sausage and mash, shephards pie etc) which can be difficult to replicate without actual meat. Also the substitutes are convenient and nutritionally balanced (high in protein, low in fat). I love the taste of quorn mince, but I never used to like actual mince.

I personally don't have a problem with people eating meat, I think I probably will eat meat again at some point, but I find it difficult to be absolutley certain that they animal has been properly cared for and killed humanely so until I feel I have that certainty I just won't bother.

Anyway the whole point of this is we're vegetarians SO WHAT!? We eat quorn and veggie sausages SO WHAT?! It's a free world, we're not harming anyone! Why do people even waste their time thinking about why we're eating meat substities to let it bother them, for fucks sake get a life and leave us in peace.
  • Options
    Can I just ask what you class as being killed humanely?

I thought a majority of animals were stunned and then had their throat slit, is that not classed as humane?
  • Options
    What "substandard farming practices"? Please point these out to me.

If people don't want to eat meat because it was all cute and fluffy once, then fine. But don't try and insult our intelligence by claiming this is about "substandard farming practices".

British farmers have some of the highest standards of husbandry in the world. So substantiate your statement (without linking to the fucknuggets at PETA) or retract it.

I'm talking about battery farming and poorly run slaughterhouses, I know people who have worked in the slaughterhouses that supply a lot of the supermarkets round here and the things I've heard are not nice. I know that I can buy from local farms and reliable butchers, but I still wouldn't feel like I had 100% certainty that the meat is free from cruelty so I'd rather not take that chance - I don't miss meat so I don't bother

Cute and fluffy doesn't bother me, I agree with eating meat I just don't fancy it
  • Options
    Can I just ask what you class as being killed humanely?

I thought a majority of animals were stunned and then had their throat slit, is that not classed as humane?

Yeh if done properly it is, but like I said I don't feel like I can be 100% sure - and as I'm not that fussed about meat I'm not gonna bother visitng slaughterhouses etc to make sure
  • Options
    I hate it when people bang on about how there's too much "battery farming" and "poor slaughterhouses" in the UK. There isn't. You buy cheap chicken and turkey and they may be kept in barns or cages, but buy decent quality stuff and it won't be.

It's usually the same idiots who demanded that the UK had higher standards than the EU standard for pork farming and now buy Danish bacon because it's cheaper.
  • Options
    I hate it when people bang on about how there's too much "battery farming" and "poor slaughterhouses" in the UK. There isn't. You buy cheap chicken and turkey and they may be kept in barns or cages, but buy decent quality stuff and it won't be.

There is too much battery farming and poor slaughterhouse practices in the UK because in my opinion one is too many
    It's usually the same idiots who demanded that the UK had higher standards than the EU standard for pork farming and now buy Danish bacon because it's cheaper.

That is a different point altogether, nothing to do with the vegetarian debate. I agree that those people are idiots
  • Options
    The way I see it is that some of these animals are going to live in poor conditions, and at the end of the day will be killed. People are always going to buy them in the supermarkets, 2 chickens for £5 or 1 for £9 it's clear what a majority of people are going to go for. Therefore, rather than not eat the poor condition chicken at all, I may as well eat it so that it didn't die for no reason. I don't agree with the conditions that they have to live in, I hate seeing animals in pain, but it happens and there is nothing as an individual you can do about.
  • Options
    This is why I hate arguing with bloody vegetarians. Oh, it was cute and fluffy once, therefore killing it for my tea is "bad farming" and "poor abbatoir practice". So it's not, you just don't like it. Fine, but at least be honest about it.

If you think farming standards are poor in this country, prove it. If it's so endemic, you'll be able to prove it within 30 seconds using wiki and google. What "your friend" says is irrelevant.

I love the way veggies won't eat meat but will put rat poison down, though.
  • Options
    The way I see it is that some of these animals are going to live in poor conditions, and at the end of the day will be killed. People are always going to buy them in the supermarkets, 2 chickens for £5 or 1 for £9 it's clear what a majority of people are going to go for. Therefore, rather than not eat the poor condition chicken at all, I may as well eat it so that it didn't die for no reason. I don't agree with the conditions that they have to live in, I hate seeing animals in pain, but it happens and there is nothing as an individual you can do about.

Supply and demand - if there is demand for cheap chicken then they will be kept in shit conditions to supply this. If people move towards more expensive but ethically reared chicken then the demand shifts, and more chickens will be kept in better conditions. How lazy and passive are you to sit back and say 'I don't agree with it and it's shit but I'm not gonna bother doing anything about it because it's too much effort'. Vote with your wallet

It's the same thing, I give me £2 a month to various charities - that £2 doesn't really matter either way, but collectively it makes a difference
  • Options
    This is why I hate arguing with bloody vegetarians. Oh, it was cute and fluffy once, therefore killing it for my tea is "bad farming" and "poor abbatoir practice". So it's not, you just don't like it. Fine, but at least be honest about it.

You're the one that keeps mentioning cute and fluffy! I've already said I agree with eating meat but I choose not to as I feel that I can't be 100% sure that animals haven't suffered. What's wrong with that?
    If you think farming standards are poor in this country, prove it. If it's so endemic, you'll be able to prove it within 30 seconds using wiki and google. What "your friend" says is irrelevant.

I can't prove it but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. What my friends say isn't irrelevant, it means something to me...it means that there's a chance that animals have suffered while being slaughtered, therefore I choose not to eat meat incase this is true. If it isn't true then so what? I don't miss meat so I don't care either way. And why should YOU care what I have for tea? I'm not preaching at anyone, I'm just explaining my personal choice
    I love the way veggies won't eat meat but will put rat poison down, though.

Again with the massive stereotypes - 'veggies' are not one mind. I don't put rat poison down, my boyfriend is veggie and he doesn't even kill the slugs that go on the tomato plants! (LOL)
  • Options
    I agree with that. I don't buy cheap meat and I would quite happily see Bernard Matthews go bust. It's not the multibuy supermarket stuff where the shit gets hidden though, it tends to be takeaway meat (KFC, kebabs, etc) and processed meat (the ubiquitous turkey twizzler).

Interestingly, most processed food is actually reared and killed abroad- most Bernard Matthews stuff is produced in Hungary or Poland and shipped over.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall may have the daftest haircut in human history, but what he says is right. Remember where meat comes from, be choosy about provenance, and you're guaranteed good husbandry and animal welfare. Get sucked into supermarket thinking- meat is just something that comes wrapped in plastic or breadcrumbs- and you'll get meat from abroad that's been produced badly.

As I say, UK animal welfare standards are pretty much the highest in the world. To turn round and dismiss the whole UK farming industry because of "my mate in the abbatoir" is so ludicrous as to make your whole position laughable.

P.S. People who bang on about animal welfare and then buy Danish bacon want a good hard slap in the chops.
  • Options
    I just thought I would say our cows were always well looked after, given names and petted frequently, as well as cuddled upon birth :)
  • Options
    I agree with that. I don't buy cheap meat and I would quite happily see Bernard Matthews go bust. It's not the multibuy supermarket stuff where the shit gets hidden though, it tends to be takeaway meat (KFC, kebabs, etc) and processed meat (the ubiquitous turkey twizzler).

Interestingly, most processed food is actually reared and killed abroad- most Bernard Matthews stuff is produced in Hungary or Poland and shipped over.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall may have the daftest haircut in human history, but what he says is right. Remember where meat comes from, be choosy about provenance, and you're guaranteed good husbandry and animal welfare. Get sucked into supermarket thinking- meat is just something that comes wrapped in plastic or breadcrumbs- and you'll get meat from abroad that's been produced badly.

As I say, UK animal welfare standards are pretty much the highest in the world. To turn round and dismiss the whole UK farming industry because of "my mate in the abbatoir" is so ludicrous as to make your whole position laughable.

I'm not dismissing the whole farming industry, have you not read what I said?
    I just said I could never feel 100% sure so I prefer to be over cautious. I can't see why this is a bad thing? My position is not laughable, I don't eat meat, I don't miss it so I'd just prefer not to bother and know for certain that no animal has been harmed to go on my plate.

I saw a pig being slaughtered (think it was Hugh FW), it didn't bother me, funnily enough my friends who ate meat were very squeamish and couldn't watch, it was humane, I had no problem with it and if I had been there I would have had no problem in eating it.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    [vegetarianism is] not about the taste it's about not agreeing with substandard farming practices

Sounds like you're dismissing the whole farming industry there!

You can be 100% certain that an animal was reared and killed ethically. Probably much more so that you can be with leather shoes. Do you wear leather shoes or boots?
  • Options
    Sounds like you're dismissing the whole farming industry there!

Nope I'm saying I don't agree with substandard farming practices and I don't feel I can be sure that dodgy practices don't go on behind closed doors (of which I have heard tales, not friend of a friend tales, actual people that I know) therefore I wouldn't like to take that chance.
    You can be 100% certain that an animal was reared and killed ethically. Probably much more so that you can be with leather shoes.

I don't feel that I can be, maybe I am wrong but I would rather risk being wrong than risk eating an animal that had suffered. Again my choice, doesn't harm anyone so why should I have to justify this
    Do you wear leather shoes or boots?

No I don't. I have two leather belts which were given to me by my mum who was going to chuck them out because they are quite tatty, I have no problem wearing them because they were only going to be chucked out anyway - I wouldn't refuse to wear them. But I don't buy leather goods. I bet people will say I have double standards now :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma, because humanly killed or not, I have a bit qualms about that something which doesn't want to die has to for someone else's 'satisfaction'.

I still eat meat, not a whole lot tho, but I couldn't abstain completely. I respect other people's choice, because I think the vegetarian lifestyle is not a bad one, but I don't want them to judge me for liking meat.
  • Options
    I often choose the vege option in the cookhouse on camp. The chef knows im not a vegetarian, and a few other people do the same as me, because sometimes the vege option is rather tasty.

I think Id struggle without a healthy dose of protein every so often.

I do eat meat, but meat dishes not because im a die hard meat fan, just that I like to eat what tastes good. If the chef has his camp famous vegetarian omlette on the go, loads of people go for it.

Im indifferent to be honest, I used to live with a lass who was a vege, id often eat what she had, just do the both of us could get economies of scale for our food, as this was during my student days.
  • Options
    BBBloodBBBlood Deactivated Posts: 18 Settling in
    **Helen** wrote: »
    and feeling a bit vexed. I sometimes claim to be a veggie for ease, but I'm not really one. Let's say I'm a fussy meat eater. :p

However, Jessica is the real deal and she's fed up of some of the comments she gets. Do any of these ring a bell? :)

I've definitely heard the Sunday lunch one a few times.

Helen, A friend of mine is pretty much eats 99% vegetarian but he never claims to be a vege. This doesn't put any pressure on him self or from others to eat meat. So if he fancies eating a steak he can but most of the time he doesn't.

I really respect this attitude. I've been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You can be sure that the meat you eat comes happy animals if you take the time and money to find it - and it's no that hard.

Do or don't eat meat - don't give a fuck, but not eating meat does not mean you have some high moral standard. Just means your some sort of fucking weirdo. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I really couldnt care less if someone wants to be a veggie or not, not my problem or anything to do with me, I admit i eat meat, for two simple reasons, i love it and our bodies are designed to eat meat, our teeth enamal is two thin for plants and our teeth pattern is that of an omnivore