Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Vegetariaaaaaaan

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    I love the way veggies won't eat meat but will put rat poison down, though.

Oy! enough of that.

People are vegetarian for a whole host of different reasons and it's totally inaccurate to pigeon whole everyone who is vegetarian.

I don't eat meat because both of my parents were (and are) vegetarian since long before I was born and me and my siblings were all raised as vegetarians. We have never missed out nutrition-wise as my mum is amazingly good at nutrition and cooking (seriously, her knowledge is great) and she always fed us well.

I don't eat meat, I don't eat fish and the thought of it makes me feel queasy. It's flesh, ew. I have eaten beef gravy (although I'm not sure if bisto granules have enough meatiness in them to count as meaty) and I am not fussed about rennet really. I don't eat meaty crisps regardless of whether they contain meat because I don't like the meaty taste.

I hate the smell of meat cooking, particularly bacon. It makes me want to gag!

But yes, I don't have any strong feeling either way towards the meat/farming industry, but I agree with the Hugh FW sentiment above, and think that the awful processed meat you get in supermarkets is awful and can't understand why people want to eat it.

p.s I wonder how long it is before Kermit mentions buying it at the local butcher and fruit and veg at the market :p;)
    *looks at watch*

The next cliched phrase at platform seven is the 2020 Boring Old Fart service to the Grainger Market. Right on time.

Being serious, I don't really have any particular views on vegetarianism either way. Most people in this country eat too much meat, I like eating veg and fish dishes, and you can get all the same nutrition as with meat diets if you cook properly. I don't really eat all that much meat.

I just don't like the assertion that the UK farming industry is run by people who don't give a stuff about their livestock. PETA say that and PETA are morons. If people don't want to eat or wear dead animal that's absolutely fine, I completely respect that decision, I just don't like it when people dress it up as something else.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's flesh, ew.

Nothing 'ew' about meat.
    Dead plants, dead animals, whats the difference?
    Weekender Offender 
    Why is it that there are some "vegetarians" say "I won't eat meat; but will eat fish"? How different is that me saying (as a meat eater) "I eat meat, but won't eat liver, heart or kidney because I don't like the taste"? I did used to know someone who claimed to be a vegtarian, but eats chicken.:yeees:

:confused:

I have no problems with people being vegetarians, but do have problems with them forcing their views upon me - I don't do that to anyone as a meat eater.

Why is it that some vegetarians don't drink cows milk? Don't know of anyone who doesn't; but did once get asked if the reason for me not drinking milk was because I'm vegetarian. (I'm not a vegetarian and never have been - at the time, I was lactose intolerant)
    You're right, there is nothing wrong with it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest to see other people eating meat/flesh (;)) but whenever I try to picture myself eating meat (which I have done all my life) I can't get past the fact that it is flesh and I do not want to eat it. Makes me feel squeamish, if you see what I mean.
    I don't know why people try to force their views on other people, probably because they are so arrogant that they think their view is the only correct view. I have never, ever tried to force my vegetarianism onto someone else, but I have encountered many, many people who try to force their meat-eating views onto me. It gets discussed at work about every six weeks, for example. Also my (nasty, rah) housemates at uni used to try to hide meat in my food to try to "convert me". Why the fuck do they think they have the right to do that?
    The one that always gets me is when veggies are asked "surely bacon tempts you?" Why the chuff would it?

Your nasty rah housemates were mongs too :yes:
    The one that always gets me is when veggies are asked "surely bacon tempts you?" Why the chuff would it?

Ah, people say this to me all the time, but the smell of bacon makes me want to be sick. I'm guessing that's a hangover from my days working in a greasy cafe. Yes, I used to cook and prepare meat, but I don't eat it myself. Why? A random moment of impulsivity at the start ('I didn't know you were veggie?' 'I am now!') and now I'm partly too stubborn to go back but mainly because there's not very much that I miss, really. Plus, my diet has been a lot my varied and probably healthier since I did it because it's forced me to try different things. If I ever did go back to eating meat and fish, I'd most likely only eat animals which I could actually see myself killing, which rules out duck for a start :)

Your nasty rah housemates were mongs too :yes:
    This.

"I don't eat meat, but that bacon that smells more like cooking meat than just about anything else will surely convert me". Er...

The one thing that annoys me sometimes about veggies (and I know the opposite can be said about meat eaters) is the ones that try and force their vegginess onto you. I had a friend once who would be really nasty to me if I ate a burger in front of her. Like, I know you don't like meat, but I DO, and me eating it in front of you does not harm you in any way so I will eat it in front of you if I bloody want to.
    so general conclusion from this thread: a lot of people are chuffs who think their view is the only view, and people are gonna eat what they like :thumb:
    I'm vegetarian for several reasons. Some meat like lamb and pork i just don't like the taste of. I like chicken but can't really afford to buy nice, ethical, hemp dressed, organic, corn massaged chickens at £8 a go. Some meat i think 'ewww'. But mainly because i throw up when i eat meat. I wasn't allowed meat from 11 onwards. I was allowed bread, jam and potaoes. 3 times my father caught me eating meat out the fridge (some ham, some cold beef and some corned beef) and beat me with a belt(twice) and a bike chain until i was sick and threw up the meat i 'stole'. Pavlov's dogs in action.

It fucks me off no end all veggies being lumped together as farming hating, barn burning cunts. You'd certainly see people cut down to size on these boards if they came out with 'men are sexist, white people are racist, gays fuck kids'.

I certainly know we need cheap, affordable meat, eggs, cheese, food in general. It wasn't that long ago i was living on £45 a week. So before you open you fucking ignorant mouth maybe have a think as to why some people don't eat meat. There's plenty of us about and going by this thread i'd say the majority really don't care if you eat meat or not. It's your choice just like it's ours not too.
    Don't really have a problem with vegetarians. TBH I can't argue with Namaste's position that we are using animals for our pleasure, killing them for our pleasure, when we don't really need to. I accept that, it's a guilty pleasure, but not one I think I will give up very soon.

The only potentially annoying veggie I came across was one who got all high and mighty when I used a communal george forman grill for some burgers and she wouldnt use it afterwards because it had cooked meat. Of course it had been cleaned, but to her it was some symbolic thing. I wonder if she wont use forks that have touched flesh either.
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Arghh that makes my blood boil...

MEAT SUBSTITUTES WILL NEVER EVER TASTE AS GOOD....
    simply because they're not the same...

I agree that veggie bacon tastes cack, but I don't like actual bacon anyway lol. I never liked mince - but I love quorn mince, and even if i started eating meat again I'd definitely go for quorn mince over meat mince

You need to take personal preference into account. I know meat eaters who love quorn, and some days will have chicken, some days have quorn. Just because YOU don't prefer it, doesn't mean other people don't
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Btw i don't hate vegitarians, i just dislike their choice.. and when they sit down and eat a plate of "fake" meat. It always makes me question, why don't you just eat the real meat, it tastes a damn site better?
    I have nothing agaisn't them, but it's just living in a house of three veggy. It annoys me a lot when i say, can i have burgurzzzz and i get the reply "we've only got veggy ones" Pahh!...
    Pet hate of mine.

By your own fucking burgers then and stop complaining about what other people eat. Your post is so closed minded and intolerent of other people's choices - why do you have to question whhat other people chose to put on their plate. I personally am repulsed by the fact that people eat battery farmed chickens, knowing full well the life of cruelty they have potentially endured, yet are to ignorant or lazy to think about what has to happen for that food to reach their plate. However, I don't express these views (unless engaging in a debate) as it is other people's choice. This doesn't seem to work the other way round, I always get stick for choosing not to eat meat - people laugh at my food (which is healthy, delicious and nutritionally balanced), call me stupid, say that my arguements for not eating meat are 'laughable'. I think you'll find that most vegetarians don't give a fuck about other people's meat eating (of course there is always the odd black sheep) and keep their opinions to themselves, however in my experience veggies get a load of shit off meat eaters. It pisses me off. I don't force my views on other people, yet I find myself having to explain, justify and defend myself against meat eates with a chip on their shoulder about veggies all the time
    The rant lost all validity by linking to PETA propaganda v.gif
    Kiezo wrote: »
    The rant lost all validity by linking to PETA propaganda v.gif

Agreed :yuck:
    It's not the death that's the problem 90% of the time, it's the life of the animal.
    OK-vegetarians.
    If your grandmother served you up an entire small chicken, would you eat it, if she said she thought it was vegetarian and didn't realise it was a chicken, and otherwise it would just get thrown away?
    Obviously this doesn't apply to veggies who just don't like meat.
    grace wrote: »
    OK-vegetarians.
    If your grandmother served you up an entire small chicken, would you eat it, if she said she thought it was vegetarian and didn't realise it was a chicken, and otherwise it would just get thrown away?

I'm a VERY strict vegan. And was a veggie. But i don't think there is ANY person out there who can claim to be veggie, a true veggie, and eat a chicken. Even by accident- it's pretty obvious what it is. Also, the reason veggies/vegans don't eat meat when it's been served to them is because they don't want to partake in the death and consumption of animals and/or their produce. This is the same reason they wont buy or eat free range things... as you are still buying into the market and saying "yes. I am willing to eat this animal so long as it was ran around a bit first"
    Which isn't right. People are under the illusion that free range things are fine to have, but it's still buying into the slaughter of animals. And they still suffer to an extent.

Sorry I take the whole thing very seriously :-)
    C-A x
    Ohh and another thing. I often get asked "If someone gave you a chicken and said 'eat this or another two get killed' would you eat it?" My answer, and the answer of most veggies/vegans is no. Because we don't want to be responsible for the consumption of that animal, and if another two get killed then they will be eaten by somebody else. It is not us who make the other people eat them, that's their choice.
    C-A x
    I think this thread reflects what I said in my first post - the minute you mention vegetarianism, people get all defensive about their meat eating, coming up with the good old tried and tested "we're meant to eat meat, it is good for you" etc. (oh really?) and trying to prove the vegetarian wrong.

To those who disapprove of veggies eating meat substitutes because "you may as well just eat the real thing", I think for many vegetarians it is the same as the difference, morally, between throwing a cat at a wall and throwing a stuffed toy at a wall . I don't see why, just because you're vegetarian, you should limit your diet to ONLY fruit and veg and nothing even remotely resembling meaty products. As someone else said, you might enjoy a bit of something extra with your roast dinner without wanting to eat a dead animal in the process - I don't see why so many people have a problem with this or feel it is their place to dictate what I should and shouldn't be eating.

Personally I am veggie because unless I was in a life or death situation, I would never choose to kill an animal for meat. Just because it comes pre-slaughtered and all nicely packaged in the supermarket, I think it would be morally inconsistent of me to eat it. I think many meat eaters are the same - they love animals, complain about TV programmes showing animal slaughter, are completely disgusted with the idea of breaking a chicken's neck and preparing it for food, and yet will happily chow down on a KFC. I have no problem with people eating meat, but I think you should only eat it if you would be fine with killing it and preparing it - which many meat eaters are, so no problem.

I don't value animal life above human life at all, and nor does being veggie mean you have to. It just means that you aren't necessarily comfortable with the idea of killing an animal yourself for the purposes of your own food related pleasure.
    I wouldn't eat animal produce even in a life death situation. I wouldn't be able to live with myself! If you only eat fruit, that's a form of veganism called Fruitarianism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism
    C-A x
    Out of interest, to the ethical vegetarians: are you a vegan? And if not, why not?
    OK-vegetarians.

There's no way someone could make that mistake. Am I correct in thinking that imitation meat looks totally different from proper meat?
    OK-vegetarians.

I have eaten food with animal by products in because it had already been made and there's no point making a fuss about it then, however I wouldn't eat actual meat because I wouldn't enjoy it. If that particular scenario arose and the chicken was going to be thrown out I would simply take the chicken to one of my meat eating friends to enjoy. I have done this before having bought food containing meat by mistake.

This type of annoyance happens to me frequently - meat eaters trying to 'catch out' vegetarians by creating scenarios where they would have to eat meat. It's very annoying, especially as people are vegetarian for all different reasons and will have different answers to the stupid scenarios that are invented.

For example, I have been a veggie for nearly 10 years and not once have I been cooked a whole chicken to eat by myself, or been faced with the scenario where if I didn't eat a chicken then two others would die. I don't feel like I even need to think about what I would do in these situations because they are not real life situations, they are stupid 'tests' made up by people who for some reason can't seem to understand that other people make different choices than them, and that even if their decisions are a little misguided, or they haven't got the facts 100% correct, they are just trying to do what they believe is the right thing.

It's actually bizarre how annoyed some meat eaters get about vegetarians, I seriously don't understand why it bothers them so much what other people choose to eat?! :confused:
    This is why I hate arguing with bloody vegetarians. Oh, it was cute and fluffy once, therefore killing it for my tea is "bad farming" and "poor abbatoir practice". So it's not, you just don't like it. Fine, but at least be honest about it.

If you think farming standards are poor in this country, prove it. If it's so endemic, you'll be able to prove it within 30 seconds using wiki and google. What "your friend" says is irrelevant.

I love the way veggies won't eat meat but will put rat poison down, though.

Sorry, I know this is a delayed response but having read back through the thread I am pretty annoyed with your 'arguements' (in ' ' because it appears to be the usual rude and intolerant ramblings rather than a rational discussion). A few points:

1. You hate arguing with 'bloody vegetarians' - this statement is extremely intolerant of other people's beliefs and ways of life, not all vegetarians think the same so it's pretty rude to generalise like this.

2. Vegetarians don't eat animals because they are 'cute and fluffy'? No-one in this thread has said anything along these lines so you have clearly made up this statement of what YOU believe vegetarians to think in your own head. If you're going to join in a debate then at least answer the points that people have made instead of making shit up.

3. How is eating meat the same as killing rats? People eat meat for pleasure, not because it's necessary, not because it's good for us, because they like it. People kill rats because they leave droppings, chew through food packets, spread disease and can bite humans. They put down rat poison as a necessity not for their own personal pleasure. Funny the way you look down on vegetarians for their perceptions but you can't see the difference between these two situations which are worlds apart.
    *sighs* I think, as a vegan, we should just respect everyone's views. I mean, I am going to defend my views of course (I already have) But what I don't get is why are most of us (vegans and veggies alike) So angry when someone says something bad about us? Humans are animals too... surely we should respect them. That always confuses me. And I do it myself, it's just weird.
    C-A x
    Ah, the ol' vegetarian debate - always guaranteed to get hackles up! :D

I think there are a couple of axioms in the eating meat versus not eating meet debate. Firstly, I don't see how one could refer to themselves as a vegetarian if they ate fish or chicken. I think you're deemed to be a Pescetarian, are you not?

Secondly, if you're proponent of vegetarianism on moral grounds, then by definition you're making a value judgement on meat eaters and their habits. And that's ok - I make value judgements all the time, and so it's par for the course that I accept people are judging me.

I myself accept I'm a hypocrite when it comes to being a vegetarian; I believe that the Peter Singer-esque argument for not eating meat is pretty water-tight, but I still go on eating meat regardless. I really must get round to bring my morality and my actions into line at some point! :D
    Ah, the ol' vegetarian debate - always guaranteed to get hackles up! :D

I think there are a couple of axioms in the eating meat versus not eating meet debate. Firstly, I don't see how one could refer to themselves as a vegetarian if they ate fish or chicken. I think you're deemed to be a Pescetarian, are you not?

Pescetarianism is eating fish yeah.
    C-A x
    I eat quorn AND cute, fluffy animals :eek2:

*Tiptoes out of the thread*
    Olive wrote: »
    I eat quorn AND cute, fluffy animals :eek2:

*Tiptoes out of the thread*

:o Me too :nervous: