Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Vegetariaaaaaaan

15678911»

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Me neither.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Animal Farm..George Orwell chose pigs as the leaders for a reason.
    grace wrote: »
    Animal Farm..George Orwell chose pigs as the leaders for a reason.
    Because they are symbols of greed, perhaps? It's nothing to do with their self-awareness, it's symbolism. Like the whole book.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    There is also the chance of contracting a Mad Cow like disease called Kuru through Cannibalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Although the chance of catching Kuru is based on whether the meal was already carrying it (as is the case with Mad Cow disease). People don't get Kuru just because they are eating humans.

In an untainted food supply, people could eat people without any chance of catching Kuru.
    jamelia wrote: »
    The different labels have no bearing on the rightness of eating them. The name is irrelevant, what is important is the morally relevant features or characteristics of the animal that makes it acceptable to eat one and not the other. What do you think are the relevant differences between humans and gorillas that would make it permissible to eat gorilla, but not human? You can't just appeal to their different labels, as that is completely arbitrary.

I don't think humans and gorillas are the same. But they are same in all the morally relevant characteristics - capacity to suffer, capacity to think of themselves as a being with an identity which persists throughout time and extends into the future.
    What do you think about eggs and dairy then?
    Namaste wrote: »
    What do you think about eggs and dairy then?

It would depend on the conditions the animals were kept in and how they were treated.
    It would depend on the conditions the animals were kept in and how they were treated.

And what was put into them.
    See I don't see any difference between eggs and meat. If you're against killing animals, don't consume milk or eggs unless you keep the animals yourself, even after they no longer produce food.

The meat and the dairy industry are linked. Once animals are no longer (pardon the pun) cash cows, they're slaughtered. Male chicks of egg laying hens are also slaughtered. There is an abundance of this on the internet... I mean they hardly send the unwanted male chicks to Butlins.

I suppose it would depend on how people look at it. They say less land and less lives are lost for a vegetarian diet than a meat eating diet. I originally went vegetarian to reduce my eco-footprint and then I started living vegan because of the animals.

But to be vegetarian and not vegan and to talk about it being wrong to kill animals, is like owning two slaves and criticising people who own ten about the wrongs of slavery.

No offense to vegetarians like... Wish it wasn't so.
    A link about egg laying hens and male chicks, NOT from PETA
    All egg production systems involve the disposal of unwanted male chicks as they are of no use to the industry. Male chicks from selectively bred egg-laying strains are not suitable for meat production and so are killed at 1-3 days old. There is a 50/50 chance of a male chick being born and it is estimated that around 30 million are destroyed annually by a number of permitted methods. These include the use of mechanical apparatus producing immediate death, (such as a homogeniser which minces up chicks alive), exposure to gas mixtures or dislocation of the neck (1). Other methods include decapitation, neck-breaking or suffocation. A limited number of the dead chicks are used as low-priced animal feed-stuff (at zoos and wildlife parks) with the remainder usually going into landfill

Also....
    Female calves may be kept for milk production whereas male (bull) dairy calves are an unwanted by-product of the milk-production industry. Many of the 482,000 young males born are killed shortly after birth, they are either shot or electrically stunned. Other calves are exported on long journeys to continental veal farms (see Beef Cattle & Welfare)
    About dairy.

From the Vegetarian Society who are a well respected charity in this field. :)
    Interesting...I would love meat/diary production to be as ethical as possible, doubt it will happen though.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Interesting...I would love meat/diary production to be as ethical as possible, doubt it will happen though.
    I guess it depends on if you consider it 'ethical' in the first place?

I've heard of people talking about growing meat in vats, so no animals are killed
    See I don't see any difference between eggs and meat. If you're against killing animals, don't consume milk or eggs unless you keep the animals yourself, even after they no longer produce food.

The meat and the dairy industry are linked. Once animals are no longer (pardon the pun) cash cows, they're slaughtered. Male chicks of egg laying hens are also slaughtered. There is an abundance of this on the internet... I mean they hardly send the unwanted male chicks to Butlins.

But to be vegetarian and not vegan and to talk about it being wrong to kill animals, is like owning two slaves and criticising people who own ten about the wrongs of slavery.

No offense to vegetarians like... Wish it wasn't so.

That's a fairly compelling argument. I'd not really thought about an animals' life after they'd ceased to be productive - even animals kept in excellent conditions. Would you eat eggs from chickens you kept yourself?
    That's a fairly compelling argument. I'd not really thought about an animals' life after they'd ceased to be productive - even animals kept in excellent conditions. Would you eat eggs from chickens you kept yourself?
    Unlikely, unless it was a survival thing. At least at this time in my life.

It'd be like sucking on a used tampon for me.
    Unlikely, unless it was a survival thing. At least at this time in my life.

It'd be like sucking on a used tampon for me.

I can understand the boycotting of the egg industry, but I can't get on board with that. Eggs are amazingly versatile as well as delicious and nutritious. I'd think it egregiously wasteful to let the eggs of chickens I was keeping go unused - especially with such a silly justification.
    I can understand the boycotting of the egg industry, but I can't get on board with that. Eggs are amazingly versatile as well as delicious and nutritious. I'd think it egregiously wasteful to let the eggs of chickens I was keeping go unused - especially with such a silly justification.
    Well no, I just wouldn't keep chickens. I don't mean that I would keep them and let the eggs go to waste.
    Well no, I just wouldn't keep chickens. I don't mean that I would keep them and let the eggs go to waste.
    Actually in the case of chickens I would have thought that it is possible to keep them in better condition that they would experience 'in the wild'. As much room to roam as a chicken is ever likely to want + shelter when there is shitty weather + top quality feed + veterinary care... far better and happier for all concerned.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Actually in the case of chickens I would have thought that it is possible to keep them in better condition that they would experience 'in the wild'. As much room to roam as a chicken is ever likely to want + shelter when there is shitty weather + top quality feed + veterinary care... far better and happier for all concerned.
    Well I'm not arguing animal welfare... I just probably wouldn't keep chickens. I am too squeamish for their eggs.

I am not really in to keeping 'pets'... Though I would adopt rescue animals. It's just the whole egg eating I wouldn't like, personally.

I dunno if chickens would lay many eggs if they weren't mated. I dunno what I would do with them either... Maybe me mates can have them.
    A quick question for vegetarians. Do you have any ethical issue with eating road kill? And if not, would you? :D
    A quick question for vegetarians. Do you have any ethical issue with eating road kill? And if not, would you? :D

As a meat eater, would you eat road kill? :)
    Teagan wrote: »
    As a meat eater, would you eat road kill? :)

If it was clean, I wouldn't have any problem with it. I wouldn't search it out though.

As someone who would be vegetarian if I brought my actions into line with my moral standing, I would.
    If it was clean, I wouldn't have any problem with it. I wouldn't search it out though.

Exactly. It depends on the circumstance. A vege would not choose to eat any meat wherever possible. But forced with the face of starvation for some reason when there is the body of a freshly killed bunny in the road? Probably. :)
    Teagan wrote: »
    Exactly. It depends on the circumstance. A vege would not choose to eat any meat wherever possible. But forced with the face of starvation for some reason when there is the body of a freshly killed bunny in the road? Probably. :)

That wasn't what I was getting at. Because obviously if you were starving to death, you'd buy meat of someone you knew tortured his animals to death if that was the only food source. But my point was that if your concern is contributing to the suffering of animals, then road kill should pose no moral problem (although obviously I understand why it would be easier to just avoid it altogether - don't want to get a taste for it after all :p).
    It depends on if I'm starving....

I normally wouldn't... Let the maggots and rats finish it off. They have a right to eat too.

It doesn't appeal to me though... I don't really like anything which resembles meat or dairy too much. Too squeamish.

I also hate people touching their eyeballs.
    Shit, you know that what comes around goes around saying... Well, I turned veg to irritate my mother and, guess what? My child's just turned veg and... it's mildly irritating!