Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetariaaaaaaan

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Your choice not to eat meat is a luxury provide by the modern world. There are still plenty of people around the world that do not have that luxury - it would be wise to remember that.
    Your choice to eat meat is a luxury that a lot of people in the world don't have either. Massively supplies of good meat are something that only exists in our privilaged society. Obviously you can't criticise the moral choices of those who's own survival is linked to them, but that isn't the case in the West, whether you choose to eat meat or not. They don't have a choice, you do. Which is why your choices should be subject to more scrutiny than there's. It's no different from having different moral standards for someone stealing in the UK when there are other options available, and someone stealing in India when their kids next meal depends on it.
    All living things die - I think that's something that escapes a few of you. Death is the only certain thing in life, it's nothing to be screamish about, and death is not cruel it's just part of every life, and has been since life began. Whether it be a natural death of old age or from some other predetor or from a human, what does it matter?
    If death was an issue, they vegetarians would advocate not eating plants. It's suffering that's the issue, and the suffering caused by improper farming practices isn't something that's natural or necessary for survival in many cases, which is why most of us support a constant improvement of welfare of the animals involved. But vegetarianism or meat-eating isn't the issue really. A vegetarian that eats battery farmed eggs is contributing more to animal suffering than someone who shoots a wild animal and eats it, or eats an animal raised on a farm where the standards are very high.
  • Options
    There's no way I can read all these pages of arguments, but I will say this.

I completely understand where the vege posters in this thread are coming from.

I constantly get the vege jokes at work, and why do I do it.. and then just like Kermit did, I get the "why do you want to eat something that looks and tastes like meat, whats the point of quorn, blah blah blah"

Well, it's because I DONT WANT TO FUCKING EAT ANIMALS. SO WHAT? My mother is a vegetarian, and that's how I've been raised.. and yes, it is because they are cute and fucking fluffy. God, I don't even kill spiders/flies/ants etc, infact, I would go out of my way to save one. I don't know why, I just don't like things dying if they don't have too. Will I kill something if I have too, I.e. red ants in my kids garden? Yes, for safety reasons, and not just because "its there".

I also get the piss taken a lot because I'm quite a loud, out-going, bodybuilder.. which apparantley makes it doubly "impossible" for me to be a vege. People actually generally refuse to believe me... I just don't get it! But hey... whatever!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If death was an issue, they vegetarians would advocate not eating plants. It's suffering that's the issue, and the suffering caused by improper farming practices isn't something that's natural or necessary for survival in many cases,

Which if you look back over the thread is what the majority of meat eaters have been saying. The vegetarians such as crying angel have stated outright that ANY killing of an animal is tantamount to animal abuse, which in my opinion is rather absurd.

I too believe that death is not the issue and that's why I don't find anything morally wrong with killing animals for food. The issue I'm concerned about is how they lived. You can be concerned about animal welfare AND eat meat.
    Cheese wrote:
    I just don't like things dying if they don't have too

Well they do. Such is life. It's just a matter of how and when. As I said earlier when I go out shootin birds and rabbits or go fishing, the death my quarry recieve is probably preferable to any other death they'd otherwise have.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I would say that we 'adapted' rather than evolved.

Evolution is adaptation.
    If we truly were meat eaters, where are our canines? And why is our long digestive system so geared for a vegetable diet in line with other herbivores - whereas true carnivores have a short digestive tract?

We do have teeth for eating meat, forward facing eyes etc We have quite a few biological adaptations that have aided us as hunter and meat eater.
    We're omnivores, much like Chimps whose diet consists of meat and insects. Nwither pure hunter or pure vegetarian - were opertunist feeders.

We have too much meat in our diet now, we eat more than we need to or that is healthy for us, a healthy diet should consist of a much high percentage of vegtable matter than meat. But our bodies CAN survive on a diet which consists of almost pure meat - that's no accident. We wouldn't have made it so far North otherwise - just look at the Innuit - they survive in the hardest of climates on earth on a diet of almost enitirely meat.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    if you eat the rabbits and fish, I do not entirely have an issue with that, mate.

Re the point about animal welfare and eating meat, I agree, you can do my both, my father does... and it's a point a lot of people miss
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Raw meat is perfectly edible. It's just easier to digest when cooked and clearly tastes better.

It's not actually. Well not exactly. But then neither are a great deal of raw plants either. As a species, we've been preparing food to make it easier to digest for so long that our digestive system struggles to handle a lot of raw food. A person living entirely on raw food would have many nutritional deficiencies, even if the raw food was actually from a domestic source, which are inevitably more nutritious than the wild equivalent. Preparation and cooking means that the ratio between the nutrition the food gives you, and the energy needed for your body to digest it massively swings things in our favour. But it means we would struggle to live off raw food, even if it is technically edible.
  • Options
    I would say that we 'adapted' rather than evolved. Its easier to kill an animal for immediate fulfilment with hunger. If we truly were meat eaters, where are our canines? And why is our long digestive system so geared for a vegetable diet in line with other herbivores - whereas true carnivores have a short digestive tract?

There:

250px-Gray997.png

Chimps have them too:

photo.jpg

As do Gorillas:

Gorilla-Gorillagorilla-Baring-Its-Teeth-Africa-Photographic-Print-C11977523.jpeg

In exactly the same place, with exactly the same number (and type) of teeth in between.

Although Gorillas in particular certainly live off a high volume, low energy diet, which is the opposite of us now. We did all evolve from something that probably had a similar diet to Gorillas today. AFAIK, our canines are left over from even before then, but I've just posted a question about this on a forum with proper scientists on, rather than someone who's just watched a few documentaries. :D But the only mammals that seem to have lost them are the rodents and some of the ungulates (with a few exceptions like hippos and pigs).

But we have evolved since then. We couldn't eat a gorillas diet. It is possible for a modern human to be healthy eating only vegetables and fruit, but that's only because we've modified vegetables and fruit so much that they have unnatural nutritional value. Our digestive system couldn't handle wild plants or raw meat any more.
  • Options
    A person living entirely on raw food would have many nutritional deficiencies

What would those be ?
  • Options
    What would those be ?

- Calcium
    - Iron
    - B12
    - Protein
    - Calories

Although obviously, this is based on people eating a raw food diet consisting of heavily modified domesticated produce, which is high in nutritional value. If we're talking living off wild food, there would most likely be even more problems. But good luck finding someone who does that.
  • Options
    It is possible for a modern human to be healthy eating only vegetables and fruit, but that's only because we've modified vegetables and fruit so much that they have unnatural nutritional value.

What do you mean by unnatural nutritional value ?
  • Options
    - Calcium
    - Iron
    - B12
    - Protein
    - Calories

Why would raw food be deficient of those ?:confused:
  • Options
    What do you mean by unnatural nutritional value ?

I mean you'd never find a Granny Smith apple growing in the wild, or a cow that produces enough milk to feed a family of 4. They've all been selectively bred over centuries for our needs, and that means things like higher nutritional value and better taste.

Wild banana:
    inside_a_wildtype_banana.jpg

Banana after humans have been fiddling with it for centuries:
    banana1.jpg
  • Options
    Why would raw food be deficient of those ?:confused:

The food itself isn't deficiant, its just that our digestive system has adapted to digest prepared and cooked food, and so would struggle to extract all of the nutrients from raw food. Like I said, not a massive issue when you're talking about domesticated produce, because it already has a massive nutritional value in comparison to its wild equivalent.
  • Options
    The food itself isn't deficiant, its just that our digestive system has adapted to digest prepared and cooked food, and so would struggle to extract all of the nutrients from raw food.

I would have said the opposite is true. From all the research I am aware of, raw food is easier to digest and consumes less energy. Furthermore the cooking destroys important nutrients especially enzymes.
  • Options
    I would have said the opposite is true. From all the research I am aware of, raw food is easier to digest and consumes less energy. Furthermore the cooking destroys important nutrients especially enzymes.
    Well it's not as black and white as raw food or cooked food being easier to digest. Meat, for example, is undoubtedly easier to digest when cooked. Vegetables, AFAIK aren't, because they contain enzymes that help in the breakdown of the food in the stomach. Starchy foods (the food group we're supposed to eat most of) are easier to digest when cooked, despite the enzymes being destroyed in the process of cooking.

So my point still stands that a human cannot have an entirely raw food diet without losing out on something somewhere. And in evolutionary terms, we're no longer suited to eating large quantities of food with low nutritional value in the same way as gorillas.
  • Options
    Well it's not as black and white as raw food or cooked food being easier to digest. Meat, for example, is undoubtedly easier to digest when cooked. Vegetables, AFAIK aren't, because they contain enzymes that help in the breakdown of the food in the stomach. Starchy foods (the food group we're supposed to eat most of) are easier to digest when cooked, despite the enzymes being destroyed in the process of cooking.

So my point still stands that a human cannot have an entirely raw food diet without losing out on something somewhere. And in evolutionary terms, we're no longer suited to eating large quantities of food with low nutritional value in the same way as gorillas.

Raw fish is easy to digest.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's not actually. Well not exactly. But then neither are a great deal of raw plants either. As a species, we've been preparing food to make it easier to digest for so long that our digestive system struggles to handle a lot of raw food. A person living entirely on raw food would have many nutritional deficiencies, even if the raw food was actually from a domestic source, which are inevitably more nutritious than the wild equivalent. Preparation and cooking means that the ratio between the nutrition the food gives you, and the energy needed for your body to digest it massively swings things in our favour. But it means we would struggle to live off raw food, even if it is technically edible.

Raw meat is perfectly edible. Large fat molecules are hard to break down but that's partially what bile is for and our gall bladders havn't quite gone the way of the appendix yet.

I agree a lot of plants aren't edible raw but I didnt mention plants.
  • Options
    In exactly the same place, with exactly the same number (and type) of teeth in between.

Although Gorillas in particular certainly live off a high volume, low energy diet, which is the opposite of us now. We did all evolve from something that probably had a similar diet to Gorillas today. AFAIK, our canines are left over from even before then, but I've just posted a question about this on a forum with proper scientists on, rather than someone who's just watched a few documentaries. :D But the only mammals that seem to have lost them are the rodents and some of the ungulates (with a few exceptions like hippos and pigs).

But we have evolved since then. We couldn't eat a gorillas diet. It is possible for a modern human to be healthy eating only vegetables and fruit, but that's only because we've modified vegetables and fruit so much that they have unnatural nutritional value. Our digestive system couldn't handle wild plants or raw meat any more.

The image of our teeth are called 'canines' because of their location in the mouth. They are not 'canines' in the sense of meat eating animals (I shouldn't have assumed that you would guessed that I meant 'canine fangs' as opposed to the medical term 'canines' so I'm sorry about that).

I know chimpanzees eat meat from time to time but its very rare. David Attenbrough did scoop that famous film of them catching and eating a monkey but that was very unusual - and may have had more to do with dominating the local food sources from competitors. Chimps have plenty of opportunity to eat small animals in their day-to-day lives but they don't. Yes, they eat maggots but then maggots are supposed to have a sweet taste. So here's a question, why have their canine fangs not disappeared at the same rate as humans then, once they evolved from meat-eating to vegetable matter diets? If you say it's because it's part of the animal's defence, then why would it not also be applicable to humans? Even our ancestors of over 4 million years ago had very little evidence of canine fangs but I am sure that canine fangs would have been a fantastic addition to our physical 'armoury'.

So canine fangs do not necessarily mean 'meat-eaters'.

The clue is inside us. An ape’s teeth, like ours, is made up mostly of flat surfaces for crushing and grinding. Our jaws are also designed to move from side to side to help this process. Both these characteristics are the signs of a mouth designed to cope with tough, vegetable foods full of fibre.

The inside of a carnivore’s stomach is a bubbling mass of acid that would take the paint off a car. It’s designed to break the meat down quickly so the poisons released by the meat as it decays don’t hang around too long. Its intestines are short, about three times the length of its body when stretched out in one line, and are designed to get the waste out of the body as quick as possible. It wouldn’t take long before it began to rot and produce poisonous toxins. This process can also happen inside the body which is why animals which are meant to eat meat get rid of waste as quickly as possible. Human digestion is much slower because our intestines are about 12 times the length of our bodies. This is thought to be one reason why colon cancer is much higher in meat eaters than in vegetarians.

Obviously humans did start eating meat at some time in history, but for the majority of people in the world right up into this century, meat was a comparatively rare food and most people ate it only three or four times a year, usually at big religious festivals. It’s only really since the Second World War that people started eating meat in such huge amounts – which may explain why heart disease and cancers have suddenly become the biggest killers of all known diseases.
  • Options
    Evolution is adaptation.

I don't agree. Adaptation is caused by evolution. Evolution is a process of gradual change, which makes animals more suited to survive in their surroundings. As they change, new species are formed. Evolution works through natural selection. An animal's young are always slightly different from one another, and some are more suited to their environment than the others. The survivors have a certain advantage over the others (such as a longer beak that can reach deeper into a flower), which they pass on to their own young. Gradually, over many generations, all individuals have it. A new species has formed – with a new adaptation.
    - just look at the Innuit - they survive in the hardest of climates on earth on a diet of almost enitirely meat.

Ah! But they do not WASTE food like we do. They eat the WHOLE animal, including the intestines, just as lions do, for instance. They get the sustenance of vegetable matter and other life-giving vitamins and minerals, by proxy, through eating the parts that we usually discard.
  • Options
    I think that a lot of the pro-vegetarian arguments that folks like Peter Singer and Tom Regan make, are very persuasive. A little while back I read an expert from Animal Liberation – it was in a bioethics textbook – and found the arguments to be resoundingly cogent. The stance largely focuses around the species barrier being an arbitrary line to draw when deciding which considerations should be extended to living entities. An equality of consideration is called for based around more considered reasons than simply which species you happen to be. An animal’s ability to suffer, and the establishment of when, why and if the taking of an animal’s life can ever be considered moral, or at least amoral, is discussed as well. Both authors are worth a read for anyone who has an interest in the topic.
  • Options
    I don't agree. Adaptation is caused by evolution. Evolution is a process of gradual change, which makes animals more suited to survive in their surroundings. As they change, new species are formed. Evolution works through natural selection. An animal's young are always slightly different from one another, and some are more suited to their environment than the others. The survivors have a certain advantage over the others (such as a longer beak that can reach deeper into a flower), which they pass on to their own young. Gradually, over many generations, all individuals have it. A new species has formed – with a new adaptation.

Thanks for the science lesson.
    Evolution is the constant adaptation by natural selection to the surrounding enviroment. Evolution is adaptation.
    As you say a physical and behavioural adaptations are the result of evolution. How does your statement that we 'adapted rather than evolved' to eat meat fit into that then?

Ah! But they do not WASTE food like we do. They eat the WHOLE animal, including the intestines, just as lions do, for instance. They get the sustenance of vegetable matter and other life-giving vitamins and minerals, by proxy, through eating the parts that we usually discard.

Really? Seeing as caribou only eat lichen that's not a lot of vegetable matter. The diet is predominately red meat, they eat more of it than us and they eat less greens. Still they survive, infact the high fat diet is key to their survival. It's no accident that we can survive only a diet of meat, how many herbivores can you name that can do the same? We are omnivores designed to eat a predominately vegetable diet, but quite happy to handle meat aswell.

And when it comes to animal products we do not waste as much as you think - I eat plenty of offal, heart, liver, kidneys. make proper stock out of bones and offal.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I dont understand why your arguing about it, its very much pointless :)
  • Options
    I dont understand why your arguing about it, its very much pointless :)
    Because this is the debate forum and that's what is done here....
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

:)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

Rather pointless on things as big as Veggie-ism and other such things.
  • Options
    The clue is inside us. An ape’s teeth, like ours, is made up mostly of flat surfaces for crushing and grinding. Our jaws are also designed to move from side to side to help this process. Both these characteristics are the signs of a mouth designed to cope with tough, vegetable foods full of fibre.
    Any we don't have the teeth of a cow, which is exclusively vegetarian. The only purpose of carnivore's teeth is to kill their prey and rip the flesh off. But since we have tools, there was no need for our teeth to adapt to doing either of these tasks. So it's the other areas of our body where the adaptions will have happened if indeed they did. Such as the stomach:
    The inside of a carnivore’s stomach is a bubbling mass of acid that would take the paint off a car. It’s designed to break the meat down quickly so the poisons released by the meat as it decays don’t hang around too long. Its intestines are short, about three times the length of its body when stretched out in one line, and are designed to get the waste out of the body as quick as possible. It wouldn’t take long before it began to rot and produce poisonous toxins. This process can also happen inside the body which is why animals which are meant to eat meat get rid of waste as quickly as possible. Human digestion is much slower because our intestines are about 12 times the length of our bodies. This is thought to be one reason why colon cancer is much higher in meat eaters than in vegetarians.
    It's true that we don't have the insides that carnivores have, but we certainly don't have the insides of herbivores either. No herbivore has a stomach that produces hydrochloric acid. Herbivores don't have a pancreas that produces the variety of enzymes (to digest the variety of food) that we do. We don't chew cud. And while our digestive system is more complex than strict carnivores, it's certainly nothing compared to the complex system of a cow or even a gorilla. Our appendix no longer exists, suggesting we no longer have a need for it.
    Obviously humans did start eating meat at some time in history, but for the majority of people in the world right up into this century, meat was a comparatively rare food and most people ate it only three or four times a year, usually at big religious festivals. It’s only really since the Second World War that people started eating meat in such huge amounts – which may explain why heart disease and cancers have suddenly become the biggest killers of all known diseases.
    The question is how far back are we supposed to be going to get what humans are "supposed" to eat. Humans have been eating meat for at least 2.5 million years (i.e. since before we were strictly humans). Neanderthals, which are far more closely related to us than the great apes of today existed almost entirely on a carnivorous diet. If you go back far enough, you'll find a creature that was strictly vegetarian, but that would bear little resemblance to us today, so what would be the point? The idea that we've evolved to eat meat therefore it's morally acceptable is clearly ridiculous. But there seems to be this other tactic on a few vegetarian websites out there of denying that we have even evolved to eat meat in the first place, which is ridiculous too. Nobody is arguing we are carnivores, so comparing us to carnivores would be stupid. They're arguing that we have evolved to eat a mixed diet which includes meat, which our physiology would suggest is the case.

Equally, pointing out issues with digesting particular foods, or eating too much of a particular food only shows that evolution doesn't provide perfect adaptions, just adaptions that are good enough most of the time. The massive supply of easily available meat in the west is clearly a problem for our health that evolution hasn't had time to catch up with (if I had to guess, I would say that Eskimos that have lived on primeraly meat-based diets for far longer than most other cultures have lower levels of the problems associated with eating meat - but it's only a guess), but you could say the same thing about sugar, or plenty of other food stuffs that we've evolved a craving for that is supposed to compensate for its scarcity.
  • Options
    Our appendix no longer exists, suggesting we no longer have a need for it.

It does. But it performs no function and we no longer need it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    All the stuff about evolution and adaptation is really interesting, and it's fascinating to read about our teeth, stomach, etc. But as someone said pages ago, it does kinda seem to miss the point, it seems completely irrelevant. We weren't designed to eat anything, and while we may have been eating meat for millions of years and therefore have the stuff we need to digest it, that has nothing to do with the moral permissibility of it. If someone thinks it is immoral to kill an animal for food, then the fact that human beings have been doing it for a long time has no bearing on that whatsoever. It's a bit like saying "human beings have used slaves since the dawn of time, therefore slavery is natural, therefore slavery is morally permissible".

I'm not weighing in on either side of the debate here, just pointing out that no amount of discussion of evolutionary facts is going to settle the moral question.
  • Options
    It does.

True
    But it performs no function and we no longer need it.

Speculation.
  • Options
    Skive, I'm kinda sad that your post had to descend to this.
    Thanks for the science lesson.

I didn't realise my posts were unfriendly towards you. You and I are not the only people reading this topic on this BB. I had to write a few obvious points to try and to put Evolution into context versus Adaptation and I am afraid, it seems to me, you are still wrong. Adaptation is NOT Evolution and my research seems to take great pains not to confuse the two.
    Really? Seeing as caribou only eat lichen that's not a lot of vegetable matter.

Do Inuit ONLY eat caribou? I apologise. I thought they also ate seals, walrus, whale, fish, ducks, geese and a variety of plants, roots, and berries according to the season. My mistake. But I am glad to see that sarcasm comes so easy to me too! ;)

And when it comes to animal products we do not waste as much as you think - I eat plenty of offal, heart, liver, kidneys. make proper stock out of bones and offal.

But that's just YOU! :) It's like saying, "There is nothing wrong with smoking because my Grandad died at 93 after smoking 100 a day". You're an exception. Not the rule.

IWS :
    Any we don't have the teeth of a cow, ... etc etc
    but particularly
    And while our digestive system is more complex than strict carnivores, it's certainly nothing compared to the complex system of a cow or even a gorilla.

IWS, gorilla intestines are very similar to humans intestines but tend to be larger because of the bloating caused by a high fibrous diet. A cow intestine is not even worth mentioning because neither humans or gorillas have anything similar. It's a moot point.

Anyway, I won't post any more on this because my research has convinced me on my standpoint. For every feasible argument for us being natural meat eaters, there seems to be half a dozen feasible arguments against.

So I'll let it rest.

Apart from applauding :
    jamelia wrote: »
    All the stuff about evolution and adaptation is really interesting, and it's fascinating to read about our teeth, stomach, etc. But as someone said pages ago, it does kinda seem to miss the point, it seems completely irrelevant. We weren't designed to eat anything, and while we may have been eating meat for millions of years and therefore have the stuff we need to digest it, that has nothing to do with the moral permissibility of it. If someone thinks it is immoral to kill an animal for food, then the fact that human beings have been doing it for a long time has no bearing on that whatsoever. It's a bit like saying "human beings have used slaves since the dawn of time, therefore slavery is natural, therefore slavery is morally permissible".

I'm not weighing in on either side of the debate here, just pointing out that no amount of discussion of evolutionary facts is going to settle the moral question.

:thumb: