Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Demonising fat people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh my god.

shouldn't it be upto the individual whether they want to lose weight? just like it should be upto the individual whether they want to GAIN weight? bollocks to costing the nhs billions, you cant attribute your skintness to overweight people, i mean whatever will it be next..asylum seekers?? everyone seems to want a scape goat. i find it quite sad.

not every person who is a bit on the chubby side wants to morph into some muscley stud..why does it have to be seen as something that should instantly be corrected?? i can completely understand if it is from the individual themselves but what the hell does it have to do with anyone else?

oh and to all the 'naturally slim' folk, if you are grossed out by someone's physical shape then i suggest a load of ginger or peppermint sweets because you must have a particularly weak stomach

when kate first created this thread i didnt actually think 'demonising fat people' was that much of an issue..how wrong i was!!
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Yep, and sadly they also have a greater risk of miscarriage, double the risk of spina bifida, double the risk of gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. It's also harder to monitor the foetus. She'd be more likely to need a c-section, but they're riskier for that group, and the risk of haemorrage and infection is greater :no:

That is as maybe, but thats between them , themselves and their healthcare provider. Thats no reason for them to be demonised in society.
    People talk as though fat people are bad people.
  • Options
    It's not about 'blaming' people for the way the NHS is, or punishing people either. But it is a limited spending pot, and for instance, obesity in children - isn't it better to nip it in the bud and treat it now through better provisions for exercise and better diet, rather than getting an 18 year old coming to you wanting a gastric band fitted after years of unhealthy yo-yo dieting to no avail?

One in three people will be obese by 2010. Like it or not, obesity is a public health issue (with a North/South divide thrown in for good measure) and there are a lot of diseases, conditions and complications associated with being obese or overweight, which can be avoided.
    not every person who is a bit on the chubby side wants to morph into some muscley stud..

No one here said they had to. I don't understand why people go for extremes and paint a picture where overweight people need to become a size -2 supermodel.
  • Options

No one here said they had to. I don't understand why people go for extremes and paint a picture where overweight people need to become a size -2 supermodel.

Beat me to it :grump: :D People are indeed either missing, or choosing to misinterpret many of the points being made.
  • Options
    It's not about 'blaming' people for the way the NHS is, or punishing people either. But it is a limited spending pot, and for instance, obesity in children - isn't it better to nip it in the bud and treat it now through better provisions for exercise and better diet, rather than getting an 18 year old coming to you wanting a gastric band fitted after years of unhealthy yo-yo dieting to no avail?

One in three people will be obese by 2010. Like it or not, obesity is a public health issue (with a North/South divide thrown in for good measure) and there are a lot of diseases, conditions and complications associated with being obese or overweight, which can be avoided.

yes but not everyone has the urge to go lift weights at a gym, you may think that is lazy but it doesn't exactly have an adverse effect on you does it?
  • Options
    That is as maybe, but thats between them , themselves and their healthcare provider. Thats no reason for them to be demonised in society.

Of course it isn't, but prevention is always better than a cure, and that goes for other things like smoking, alcohol, exercise etc.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Beat me to it :grump: :D People are indeed either missing, or choosing to misinterpret many of the points being made.

sorry im still trying to stop laughing at your earlier 'recoil' comment
  • Options
    yes but not everyone has the urge to go lift weights at a gym, you may think that is lazy but it doesn't exactly have an adverse effect on you does it?

Am I missing something here? There are loads of ways an individual can exercise which don't even bring weights into it, in countless threads where people have asked, I've suggested ways they can exercise by not even going to the bloody gym.

As in individual, it doesn't affect me. As a healthcare provider it does.
  • Options
    I'm basically echoing go_aways thoughts on this whole thing.

Suzy - Believe it or not, we are entitled to not want OUR (yes our) tax money to be pissed up the wall without it "being a cover for hating fat people"
  • Options

The fact is that many people are choosing to do nothing at all, and so the problem worsens.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here? There are loads of ways an individual can exercise which don't even bring weights into it, in countless threads where people have asked, I've suggested ways they can exercise by not even going to the bloody gym.

I know, it's the whole attitude of people that can't be arsed to exercise is that people that do are just obsessed fitness freaks etc etc... ]

Demonising people who exercise maybe the next thread ?
  • Options
    sorry im still trying to stop laughing at your earlier 'recoil' comment

A person has to have a few textual stand-out moments in a thread :D

It's not like I'm throwing myself in a bush when I see an obese person walking my direction though. I should have said 'mentally recoil' :)
  • Options

Ok the lifting weights was one example that can be done at the gym. I'm fully aware there are other exercises that people can do inside or outside the gym.

I guess it depends on whether you regard it as a problem. Perhaps I'm being VERY liberal in my train of thought that people can treat their bodies how they want.

lol@ 'mentally recoil'..sorry it doesnt help
  • Options
    I'm basically echoing go_aways thoughts on this whole thing.

Suzy - Believe it or not, we are entitled to not want OUR (yes our) tax money to be pissed up the wall without it "being a cover for hating fat people"

Well im not saying that being really overweight isnt bad for peoples health, but I just really dont believe that for most people their distaste for fat people is due to some altruistic feelings about society, what the NHS money is spent on, or about concern for other peoples health.
    Im sure SOME people are concerned for those reasons but tbh, the majority of slim people arent slim because theyre super healthy and eat healthily and go to the gym. The majority of slim people are like that because theyre just like that. My other half is slim. Noone worries about his health (apart from me) even though all he drinks is coke and redbull and all he wants to eat are beef and potato in various combinations/manifestations, but thats ok cos hes slim.
    I got lots and lots of praise when I was a size 8/10, but i was sticking my fingers down my throat after pretty much every meal. Thats ok though cos i was thin and didnt look disgusting. Now im a bit chubbier and its all about "oh you can get your figure back in no time when youve had the baby"
    I bloody well sure will, even if my methods arent to be recommended, but hey, thats better than being fat, because its just fat people who are a drain on the NHS.
  • Options
    I know, it's the whole attitude of people that can't be arsed to exercise is that people that do are just obsessed fitness freaks etc etc... ]

It's not even that really, it's hard to describe. I just feel that yes, I've lost a hell of a lot of body fat and given my poor family history a run for its money. Yes, weights and the gym have worked for me, but nowhere have I ever said that's the ONLY way to go about it, and people who don't slave in an airconditioned shoebox are lazy - and I resent the implication.

I'm not trying to hang myself on a cross here, but there have been tonnes of threads where people have wanted to lose body fat, and I've always been around to help and offer up advice, including advice such as buying weights for home, or doing stuff in front of the telly or a hard and fast shag. Hell, anything to raise a person's heartrate has to be good.

Meh, I don't care. I'll still give advice, but it gets frustrating when it's misconstrued then thrown back in your face.

And I don't see anything wrong with critiquing the health problems associated with high levels body fat but still respecting the individual to do what they want.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey all,

Moved this thread because it was essentially a debate rather than asking for advice, but that doesn't mean offensive comment will be any more acceptable . . .

:thumb:
  • Options
    I got lots and lots of praise when I was a size 8/10, but i was sticking my fingers down my throat after pretty much every meal. Thats ok though cos i was thin and didnt look disgusting. Now im a bit chubbier and its all about "oh you can get your figure back in no time when youve had the baby"
    I bloody well sure will, even if my methods arent to be recommended, but hey, thats better than being fat, because its just fat people who are a drain on the NHS.

Again, taking things to the extremes here.
  • Options

Meh, I don't care. I'll still give advice, but it gets frustrating when it's misconstrued then thrown back in your face.

:yes:

And I don't see anything wrong with critiquing the health problems associated with high levels body fat but still respecting the individual to do what they want.

I'm with you on this.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Again, taking things to the extremes here.

Agreed, Suzy your posts are a bit crazy.. and TBH I don't know where you're getting your ideas of attitudes from, as I for one, have said to people who claim to be overweight in this thread that exercise can make you feel good even if you don't look any better..
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit

How come all the commotion about this when the Government has just bailed out Northern Rock to the tune of £24bn! Everything costs the NHS money, fat people, smokers, alcoholics to old ladies falling over in the park and breaking their legs!

On a personal level I know full way I am at least 8 or so stones overweight and I do want to lose that weight for my own piece of mind and sake, people complaining and making comments in the street doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    well yeah I know I do, but im saying that people in general demonise fat people for being unhealthy while other equally or more unhealthy behaviours arent demonised to anywhere like the same extent, because the people tend to look alright when they do it.

Eating disorders are INCREDIBLY common and they provide as much of a feel good factor as obsessive exercising or even comfort eating for the people that are into it.
  • Options
    well yeah I know I do, but im saying that people in general demonise fat people for being unhealthy while other equally or more unhealthy behaviours arent demonised to anywhere like the same extent, because the people tend to look alright when they do it.

Well, i'd disagree with that quite strongly - take smoking and drinking, for example.

The smoking ban has caused much debate and demonising (fucking sick of that word now) of smokers/smoking, and the drinking ban has had much the same coverage of the impacts on society and health. Both are big issues, always in the spotlight.

The obesity crisis etc is a bigger thing overall though, and so is likely to have a higher profile overall (possibly rightly so considering the statistics showing the scale of the problem), but in my experience of the media recently, it's about equal.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    How many fat people are happy with the way they look? I think your weight is something you should be worried about if you are genuinely fat. It fucks up your health and is unnatractive the to majority of people out there.
    I'm not talking about being a little overweight and not the eperfect size, I'm talking about those people who are FAT. Excuses don't cut it with me either. In you genes? Hanging over your jeans you mean! The vast majoroity of people are fat becase they eat crap, eat too much of it and do fuck all to burn it off.

I don't think the message that it's OK to be fat is any better the message that it's attractive to be size 0. The most important thing is being healthy.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    How many fat people are happy with the way they look? I think your weight is something you should be worried about if you are genuinely fat. It fucks up your health and is unnatractive the to majority of people out there.
    I'm not talking about being a little overweight and not the eperfect size, I'm talking about those people who are FAT. Excuses don't cut it with me either. In you genes? Hanging over your jeans you mean! The vast majoroity of people are fat becase they eat crap, eat too much of it and do fuck all to burn it off.

I don't think the message that it's OK to be fat is any better the message that it's attractive to be size 0. The most important thing is being healthy.

I think your last line sums it up nicely, mate:

The most important thing is being healthy.

You simply are not healthy if you are very overweight (or very underweight for that matter, but that is not under discussion now).
  • Options
    how many fat people do you see in a third world country due to their genes?
  • Options

Even around Europe, the problem is not as bad as the UK - Italy, for example has an obesity rating of 8.5%

Link

Which I believe is a bit of a rise on the previous years, but still WAY short of the UK, all down to diet and lifestyle.
  • Options

I dont think famine is great diet advice tbh.

Theres probably a high proportion of people who arent happy to be fat in this country, but its a cultural thing. The same women in another culture might be seen as the epitome of beauty itself. Theres nothing in the fat that makes them unhappy - more like the attitudes of others around them that they are some problem that needs solving or more to the point, that its any of their business in the first place.
    If someone is fat and wants to lose weight than thats great!!! Id support that.
    If they were fat and quite content to be that way, then thats great. Its their life. Not up to me.

If they were fat and telling other people they need to put on weight then id be inclined to suggest they mind their own business same as if a thin person thinks its their business to tell a fat person they need to lose weight.
  • Options
    as if a thin person thinks its their business to tell a fat person they need to lose weight.

I don't think at any point we have done that in this thread. The main points of contention, reading back, were those people that complained about the weight and yet did nothing about it, making excuses but not any effort.

I'd never, ever tell somebody they need to lose weight, but if they asked for advice on training/diet, then I would give them what they asked. It's all up to them in the end, but I don't want to hear complaining if they're doing nothing pro-active about it.
  • Options

Did I advise that?

My point is people moan that they are fat because of their genes yet in countries where people don't have any food, you don't see any fat people do you?

Get a grip :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Who said anything about famine????
    If they were fat and telling other people they need to put on weight then id be inclined to suggest they mind their own business same as if a thin person thinks its their business to tell a fat person they need to lose weight.

OK, but I think people who don't want to be fit, healthy and active a little strange too be honest. In fact I think it's little worrying.
    Weekender Offender 
This discussion has been closed.