Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is this sexist?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My weetabix packet says that men need more calories than women, so they should get a bigger tin. You wouldn't want them to die of malnutrition now, would you?
    The real question is: Why were the women at the fresher's fair and not in the kitchen making me a sandwich?

:lol: I can see from some of the replies that this didn't go down too well but I found it hilarious :thumb:

Jeez some people need to lighten up. How many lives were damaged or destroyed in the handing out of these pink and blue bags. How many women were stereotyped and repressed enough to impact their lives in any way. Hmmm...none. To be honest I'd be glad of a free tampons, deodorant and cream. They're too fucking expensive anyway! The ungrateful sods
    Namaste wrote: »
    I would rather read FHM than the condescending drivel that most women's magazines feed us. I mean if you look past the objectifyng pictures which appear in both magazines, FHM is more interesting.

Never read FHM, but having read many women's magazines- I believe you!
    katralla wrote: »
    Never read FHM, but having read many women's magazines- I believe you!
    Some of the articles in lads mags are mildly amusing...

I always tended to find that women's mags basically tell you that you're fat, or need a man, or that you have to dress a certain way.

If I wanted to be told what to do with my body and soul I'd join the Catholic church innit.
    :confused: i've been reading these forums on and off for 6 years, have i missed something?

Very probably, you don't seem to be able to read what I say very well at all.

I always tended to find that women's mags basically tell you that you're fat, or need a man, or that you have to dress a certain way.

If I wanted to be told what to do with my body and soul I'd join the Catholic church innit.

Or if you have a man he's cheating

Men's magazines are just the same. They're all designed to sell the crap they advertise inside. You're not a real man unless you know how to please your woman sexually (i.e. do what the "expert" tells you), own a watch worth over £300, can drink your weight in lager and like football.

But I do think women's magazines do it on another level. The hypocracy is amazing. I was reading the 3am column in my mum's Mirror the other day. The main story was about how the lead singer of Keane turned to drugs after suffering "cruel jibes" about his weight. And the smaller story next to that was about how Demi Moore (I think) has cellulite, complete with the worst picture they could find. It'd be more acceptable if the 3am girls didn't all look like the bad side of a cow's arse themselves.
    Womens mags don't make sense. One page will have a story of how a girl beat anorexia and now feels sexy with curves. Yay for curves etc. Then on another it will be something like 'How to lose a stone in 6 weeks.' Complete with a some skinny celebrity diet.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Or if you have a man he's cheating

Yeah but they help you to insure against cheating by losing weight, performing good oral sex, knowing your celebrities to keep you out of intelligent matters and of course, the latest fashion clothes.
    I haven't read the whole thread but why are there so many women in here and not in the kitchen making my dinner?:lol:
    I'm kidding I did read it
    That's beans in your av, I thought it was a hash brown.
    I haven't read the whole thread but why are there so many women in here and not in the kitchen making my dinner?:lol:

old
    The thing that amuses me most about women's mags is how they'll have an article about how your man loves your "normal curves" (i.e. if you're slender you're not normal and/or a woman) and then illustrate the article with the skinniest girl you could possibly find.

Men's mags are a lot better because the hypocrisy isn't there so much, but at the same time the pressures are still there- if you don't like football, huge breasts, fast cars and expensive toys you're a puff.
    Kermit wrote: »
    if you don't like football, huge breasts, fast cars and expensive toys you're a puff.

It's true though! :D;)
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It's true though! :D;)

Yeah, damn right it is, but that's not the point ;)
    I always find the problems ages in women's magasines quite interesting whether they're true or not (naive me in thinking they could be possibly :p).

Although from what I've seen it seems women (assuming these problem pages are representitive, whichi they're not) are more concerned whether to have an affair or not than anything else.

But the itchy private places ones also gives me a giggle.
    Kermit wrote: »
    The thing that amuses me most about women's mags is how they'll have an article about how your man loves your "normal curves" (i.e. if you're slender you're not normal and/or a woman) and then illustrate the article with the skinniest girl you could possibly find.

Men's mags are a lot better because the hypocrisy isn't there so much, but at the same time the pressures are still there- if you don't like football, huge breasts, fast cars and expensive toys you're a puff.
    Lad's Mag wrote:
    there are 2 types of men, those who like bigbreasts and those who are gay
    :lol:
    The people who complained about the "sexism" in this were most probably from student unions (who, let's face it, are stuffed to the gills with idealist Lefties) who have nothing better to do. They should complain about something genuinely important - i.e, the threat of Iran making a nuclear bomb and using it. Alternatively, we should just tell them to fuck off and do some work.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The people who complained about the "sexism" in this were most probably from student unions (who, let's face it, are stuffed to the gills with idealist Lefties) who have nothing better to do. They should complain about something genuinely important - i.e, the threat of Iran making a nuclear bomb and using it. Alternatively, we should just tell them to fuck off and do some work.

Same old SG then. :D
    Same old SG then. :D
    Hello again. The legend returns! You'll be glad to know university hasn't changed me - I'm still the angry man I used to be.
    Hello again. The legend returns! You'll be glad to know university hasn't changed me - I'm still the angry man I used to be.

Are you enjoying it this time?
    Are you enjoying it this time?
    I'll tell you more about it tomorrow, just kinda busy at the moment.

Great, so when you're cured of altitude sickness from your high horse and have time in your own schedule between running Amnesty International, volunteering and saving thw world from global warming, maybe you can give us a hand. :yeees:

ETA: or alternatively, don't go on threads discussing what a student union does and people's ideas on sexism if you have nothing intelligent to offer
    Ballerina wrote: »
    old

did you read my post RIGHT after it?:rolleyes:
    Yes i did see it, so why use the same joke?