Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Into Outer Space

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you won a free flight on the next Space Shuttle flight - would you go?

I would love to see the earth from outer space and experience zero gravity BUT it's also a big risk.

** BTW Totally posted in the wrong section .. but since you can't delete posts anymore will leave it up to a mod to move it .. :blush:

Having said that if your other half won the place would you let them go?

Comments

• Options
    remember you can move them Diamondgeezer ;)
  • Options
    you can move it using thread tools can't you?
  • Options
    I don't think it's too big a risk really, well maybe at the moment perhaps, but in the future it's going to be alot more commonplace, when we all have to set up factories on the moon to create an atmosphere of carbon dioxide to begin colonisation because we'll have ruined the planet.

Maybe.

I'd probably sell it on ebay though.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    you can move it using thread tools can't you?

woo .;. that's cool, I never knew we could move stuff around, it's like being a mod ... :thumb:
  • Options
    Nope, I wouldn't...

Too much damage to the environment.
  • Options
    Noo way. I'd freak out completely. I'd probably give it to away to someone I liked and who would actually enjoy the experience. Or sell it on ebay. Aha
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'd go. Definitely. It is something I would love to see.
  • Options
    no way!,i have no desire to strap my arse to a giant firework.....you'd have to be insane imo.
  • Options
    fuckin right :D
  • Options
    Yeah id go! Would be awesome, an at least if something happend an you died, it would be all on the news an you'd be famous lol
  • Options
    Will go for sure and would sure let my partner go if she could.

It's not like it's someting that can be offered to you everyday.

Would sure be neat to the earth from up there.
  • Options
    I'd go. Think it would be an awesome experience!
  • Options
    What would be even better is to be able to go with your partner and see what he feels like doing it without gravity....
  • Options
    What would be even better is to be able to go with your partner and see what he feels like doing it without gravity....

awkward I should imagen... but a wicked experience!!
  • Options
    The experience of being up there would be amazing I'm sure, it's just the journey to get there and back would be pretty scary.

Although I think they way they do it with Space Ship One is more like a normal plane journey, at least for the beginning part of it.

sc-ships.jpg
  • Options
    id seriously wanna go, but id be a bit worried that most space travel seems to end up with the rocket blowing up at some point and everyone dying.
  • Options
    id seriously wanna go, but id be a bit worried that most space travel seems to end up with the rocket blowing up at some point and everyone dying.

Everyone one die one way or an other...

Dying in a blowing rocket, I say is one cool way to go...
  • Options
    yer but if youve got a kid to leave behind y`know, it takes more thinking about.
  • Options
    yer but if youve got a kid to leave behind y`know, it takes more thinking about.

Like someone once told me there is a risk in eveything you do anyway...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes and yes.

You only live once as far as we know, fuckers, enjoy it! It'd be ACE... I'd want to stay on the ISS for a bit too!

Wouldn't lift off whilst high probably be awesomeley cool, thinking about it?
  • Options
    Fucking sures I'd go...It would be class to look at the earth from miles above. And float in the air.

As for dying, so fuck we all gotta go sometime. I remember though in America they sent the first civillian up, some woman teacher and the bloody thing blew up before it even reached the atmosphere.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Fucking sures I'd go...It would be class to look at the earth from miles above. And float in the air.

As for dying, so fuck we all gotta go sometime. I remember though in America they sent the first civillian up, some woman teacher and the bloody thing blew up before it even reached the atmosphere.

What surprised me was I was in school when that happened and the next day the NASA jokes started

i.e.

Whats does NASA stand for ....
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The other day at uni they told us about a rocket that blew up a few seconds after its takeoff, due to a tiny bug in its programming! Luckily it didn't have people on.
    (For those who speak geek: IIRC, a loop was executed a few more times than it should have been, and a value of 64 bits was given to a 16 bit variable... boom!)
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    The other day at uni they told us about a rocket that blew up a few seconds after its takeoff, due to a tiny bug in its programming! Luckily it didn't have people on.
    (For those who speak geek: IIRC, a loop was executed a few more times than it should have been, and a value of 64 bits was given to a 16 bit variable... boom!)

Might have been the one that was launched a few days ago, there was another rocket that started flyig inthe wrong direction due to a software error, seem crazy really to have all that hardware work perfctly only to be screwed up by a programmer's error.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Might have been the one that was launched a few days ago, there was another rocket that started flyig inthe wrong direction due to a software error, seem crazy really to have all that hardware work perfctly only to be screwed up by a programmer's error.
    The teacher told us it happened a few years ago (or even more) and gave it as a reason for why programmers follow certain procedures nowadays to avoid such stuff. If it happened again... lol!
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    The teacher told us it happened a few years ago (or even more) and gave it as a reason for why programmers follow certain procedures nowadays to avoid such stuff. If it happened again... lol!

Well another rocket blew up a few days ago, but this might not be a software fault

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Fuel-leak-doomed-SpaceX-rocket/2006/03/28/1143441132157.html
  • Options
    I would go. We have only seen a minor part of the place we live in. Some of the people here have probably not looked in a telescope.

I am prepared to take that risk, yes.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I would go. We have only seen a minor part of the place we live in. Some of the people here have probably not looked in a telescope.

I am prepared to take that risk, yes.

Talking of telescopes - who saw that partial eclispe today?