Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this sexist?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Post-modernism is about the discomfort in the comment which people feel because of it's ambiguity.

I know what post-modernism is supposed to mean, I just can't get away from the view that most people who try to employ really do mean what they say and just try to hide it.

I certainly get the feeling people like Gervais do, although I'm sure he'll be delighted at me saying that.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea, my whole original point was everyone at the uni making a massive issue about it and they're thinking of forming a special committee who will decide (based on their superior wisdom I guess) what constitutes sexism and what does not.

Evidence that the bloody tax dodgers are not being given enough studying ;)
    Even in this day and age it is very difficult for anyone to give a clearcut definition of when an act becomes sexist or racist, it's dualism at it's bluntest, everything is in shades of grey.

And that is the point. Shades of grey. "Offensive" is subjective - as this thread clearly shows.
  • Options
    Post-modernism is about the discomfort in the comment which people feel because of it's ambiguity. It doesn't mean that the person making the comment believes in the thing they are saying more that it will be recieved by some as "yeah, that's right" and by others as "outrageous thing to say"...
    You're right there...

Although it wouldn't be a good idea to go to a women's conference and talk about how they should be all in the kitchen
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm very skeptical about "post modern irony", tbh. I agree with Victoria Wood- most people who make jokes like that (like Gervais does) really actually mean what they say.

Especially given the poster's arguments about, say, rape convictions.

Certainly if the same "irony" was used about, say, a black man the outcome would be very different. And yes, it wasn't, but it's the same thing.

I agree, though, I'm far more angry about the rape conviction rate, the shocking pay gap, and general inequality rather than mincing on about a poor joke.

Can i state for the record I don't really believe that all the women at the fresher's fair should have been in the kitchen making me a sandwich, and the statement was in fact, a joke. EDIT: And a weak one at that.

Are you referring to my arguments about rape convictions? I didn't think i held any dubious views on rape convictions.
  • Options
    I certainly get the feeling people like Gervais do, although I'm sure he'll be delighted at me saying that.

He will. He plays on the outrage that people feel towards his act.

TBH I think that the main difference between people like Gervais (who is funny because he clearly doesn't truly feel about things in the way he talks) and someone like Manning (who clearly did) is the way that the gag is told, the wording used and the structure of the gag in the context of the whole gig.
  • Options
    Oh I don't feel outrage against him (although he is offensively unfunny) I just think its strange how a cutesy grin means you can get away with saying the most horrible things. Especially when I swear that most people who do it do mean what they say, at least a little bit.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    You're right there...

Although it wouldn't be a good idea to go to a women's conference and talk about how they should be all in the kitchen

Why not? I've done something similar during a presentation for a group which was solely women.

They laughed. Not because what I said was true but because it was a man telling a clearly stereotypical joke about women which wasn't based on his beliefs.

When I then followed it up with a joke about the menfolk they laughed again - should they have been offended by the first joke and me by the second?
  • Options
    Can i state for the record I don't really believe that all the women at the fresher's fair should have been in the kitchen making me a sandwich, and the statement was in fact, a joke. EDIT: And a weak one at that.

Are you referring to my arguments about rape convictions? I didn't think i held any dubious views on rape convictions.

Yea I understood it was a joke, I didn't mean to single you out, but these 'post modernist ironic' jokes crop up a lot and they do wind me up - not for a political reason as in I think they're sexist, just they always pop up in sexism debates. Like it's a funny subject.
  • Options
    Why not? I've done something similar during a presentation for a group which was solely women.

They laughed. Not because what I said was true but because it was a man telling a clearly stereotypical joke about women which wasn't based on his beliefs.

When I then followed it up with a joke about the menfolk they laughed again - should they have been offended by the first joke and me by the second?

I still don't understand what post modernism is :(
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea I understood it was a joke, I didn't mean to single you out, but these 'post modernist ironic' jokes crop up a lot and they do wind me up - not for a political reason as in I think they're sexist, just they always pop up in sexism debates. Like it's a funny subject.

Point taken.

I'm interested to see what morally dubious view Kermit thinks i have about rape convictions - it might explain his apparent general dislike for me!
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I don't think woman were ever downtroden

Wtf?
  • Options
    I think the leg cream was actually cellulite cream, if that makes it more or less sexist I don't know!
  • Options
    I think the leg cream was actually cellulite cream, if that makes it more or less sexist I don't know!

That's correct! And it probably does to be honest, implying women have manky legs. Still, it's a bit of a funny thing to get heft over in the first place, when you could take either bag, or both.

I think there should be a man vs woman beans eating competition to settle it once and for all.
  • Options
    Any more than men. We were downtrodden in a different way. War is a good example of when WE put up with shit. We loved you and it was romantic. Now everyones head is up the job markets arse and really it's starting to dilute.
    You stayed at home, we stayed in the office, you went to take the kids to the park, we stayed in the office (or the trenches), you went for a cup of tea and a natter with mary from number 67, we stayed in the office. Then we went to the pub and all hell broke loose.

Errmmm...

I think there were stereotypes and social expectations that men couldn't break out, the same as women. Men were expected to work. Women were expected to cook. And so on.

However, women were denied the right to vote, denied the right to be free from violence, denied the right to be respected and treated equally - this is where they were downtrodden and thankfully the world we live in today is very very different because in the UK at least many of these have been addressed. I think that's why there's been a feminist agenda and not a masculinist agenda over the past 100 years or so.

I agree though that men have found it just as hard to break the gender stereotypes. Even now, men are made out to be 'women' often if they don't dress a certain way or act a certain way. (usually by other men)
  • Options
    Having a sterotype is different from being downtrodden. Women were denied the right to vote, education, it was even legal to rape your wife until 94. At one point women weren't allowed any possessions, it all went to your husband. Not that men didnt have it tough too, but women were downtrodden.
  • Options
    I don't think woman were ever downtroden.

So, not getting to vote doesn't count?
    War is a good example of when WE put up with shit.

Whereas the women stayed at home drinking tea and eating cucumber sandwiches?

Seriously dude you really need to read up on the role of women in our past and what they actually did during both world wars...
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Having a sterotype is different from being downtrodden. Women were denied the right to vote, education, it was even legal to rape your wife until 94. At one point women weren't allowed any possessions, it all went to your husband. Not that men didnt have it tough too, but women were downtrodden.

'91 if I recall correctly.

Now, the relationship of power and strength between the two sexes and the subsequent subordination of women was basically a result of customs and traditions that dated to the Dark and Medieval Ages, Divine rule of law had it's place well and truly stuck in the middle of the whole thing. It wasn't really until the Enlightenment period that people started to think rationally on the whole issue and challenge male subordination over women. It's a shame that it took over 125 years after that for women to actually get the vote, never mind domestic and social issues which are still not resolved to this day.
  • Options
    I wouldn't call that being down troden as such. Unless the government or some other agent was doing something else to them that they couldn't change because they were not allowed to vote. Something evil I mean.
    The simple truth is we are not the same.
    I can't play with my jubblies, I'm not downtrodden because of it. I get a woman and she gets someone to play with them for her, it brings us together because opposites attract. Hows about that. If they are no longer opposite then they will no longer attract and the whole thing will just fall appart. We will cease to exist.

Being denied the right to vote because of your sex does count as being downtrodden even without anything else. Also, the fact that one sex was denied the power to vote for or against politicians, contributed to a situation where that sex had plenty of evil laws enacted against them, because they could do nothing about it.

The simple truth is that the human race is divided into two sexes, and both have to have the same rights under law before any society can become fully civilised. Using differences that naturally exist between the sexes as an excuse to give one sex less rights is backward.
  • Options
    How is it oppressive if the government in power isn't oppressive? Unless you mean they simply want to tick a box on a piece of paper?
    Why is it such a big deal. Ok, allowing it is fair but I don't see how not being allowed it is oppresive. If tht is the case then we are downtreading children. But of course children should listen to their mothers and fathers that's the way it should be.
    Oh have your fucking vote, it makes no difference. We're all doomed.

It is oppressive because, in a democracy, any group that is disenfranchised for life, whether it be black people, women, immigrants, gay people, or whoever, automatically holds less influence over those who make the law. It is far more important than just ticking a box on a piece of paper.

The lifelong disenfrachisement of any group in society, in and of itself, leads to the government in power being oppressive against that group. Can you not see that?
  • Options
    I see it but don't think it makes any difference unless holding less influence means that they will somehow suffer some kind of evil AGAINST them. Any actual evil is a crime and could and probably would still occur even if they could vote.
    In my mind there's no other reason for allowing the vote than as a matter of principle. But principles like that seem pointless to me.

Oh I don't know.

To and fro, to and fro.

Give chimps the vote because otherwise we're oppressing them. Which we are when we consider all the damage we're doing to their environment.

But holding less influence DID lead to all kinds of evil against them. Do you know nothing of the history of your country? Principles wouldn't seem that pointless to you if you had to live under a system where your entire sex held the same legal status as minors and lunatics. And were treated with such contempt by the law that you could be legally beaten
    by your spouse, you had no rights over your own property, (including the wages you earned), had no right to sit on a jury, less rights to seek a divorce than your spouse, and you could do absolutely nothing to influence the politicians to change the law.

The right to vote would probably seem pretty important to you then.
  • Options
    History of the world you mean? No, not really. I am very naive. I couldn't even begin to concieve that people were actualy like that.
    But once again, it makes no difference if my mother was beaten by a policeman - her husband, and she had the vote.

What I mean is that holding less influence doesn't automaticaly lead to all these problems does it?

I'm really lost aren't I. I can't even see, I may aswell be dribbling.

Yes, holding less influence leads to all these problems. If you hold no influence over whether or not a politician retains his seat, he will take no account of your interests when he votes in Parliament. Which leads very quickly to a situation where you are accorded the same legal status as minors and lunatics. As women were before they got the vote.
  • Options
    Only if the man was ignorant surely? Or the men who were allowed to vote him in were. Maybe we shouldn't think for woman but we could and if we were understanding enough and wise enough then what difference does who ticks the box make?

But men are only human, which means they are frequently ignorant. Even ones who are voted into Parliament can be ignorant. Which is why they should not be allowed absolute power over the female sex. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So look again at your part in bold. Maybe? Of course you shouldn't think for women, it is a denial of our right to think for ourselves. And no you couldn't think for women either. The human race is divided into two sexes, both of whom have unique characteristics. No civilised society will demand that one sex "thinks" for the other, still less that they vote for the other.

That is backward, and stupid. And if you were on the receiving end of it, you would not be half so casual about denying people the right to vote on the grounds of their sex.
  • Options
    There would be even more people moaning if only the lads got a bag and the women nothing at all. Would the women have wanted an FHM? As for the beans, my other half can't eat a big tin to herself, most women i've met don't. Whereas a half tin is too small for me.
    People are always too quick to assume there must be an evil underlying motive behind everything.
  • Options
    There are other magazines that could have been put in the female bag though, something hideous like Heat or Ok is probably about the equivalent. I can eat a whole tin of beans too, and even if you can't, you can store them in the fridge and eat them tomorrow!

I don't know why people were so concerned over these bags, I mean it's free after all and you don't have to take one.
  • Options
    A whole tin of beans, some chocolate, condoms and maybe some free bog roll- sod all the other stuff. I'd have taken two bags and thrown the junk away...

I don't think it's sexist to put tampons in a bag designed for women, don't quite a lot of women use tampons? Weren't tampons made by women for themselves origonally, and even I sometimes use the odd vagina mouse, free ones is cool.

What woman would want FHM?

Why shouldn't the women get a proper tin of beans though- I've only ever bought one of those mini tins of beans things and that was only because it had a stupid cartoon on the picture and I gave in to pester power in the supermarket. Beans are yak, but if I were going to eat them i'd want a proper tin, no different from the boys.

Condoms- were they only in the blue 'boy' bags? If so, that's completely stupid, out of order but, I don't know if it's sexism or stupidity or both.

Leg waxing shit/ cellulite cream, just exasperated me, but again, don't a lot of women want these things, don't they force the market into creating more by buying more? I know there are a few other elements in there like social expectations and advertising and stuff, and I would certainly throw it away or leave it on a shelf gathering dust somewhere but I can't work out whether it's sexist or not as I can't seem to seperate the implications from what I just automatically accept as the 'norm'.

The other thing is/was, there was no restriction on who took what bag so I suppose the person choosing the bag stereotyped themselves to best fit into what they would expect from a typical portrayal of gender needs from those colours.
  • Options
    I'm interested to see what morally dubious view Kermit thinks i have about rape convictions

Same as most of the male posters on here- rape is terrible but any steps taken to increase the conviction rate are an "assault on freedom", or some shite.
    it might explain his apparent general dislike for me!

No dislike from me:)
  • Options
    Same as most of the male posters on here- rape is terrible but any steps taken to increase the conviction rate are an "assault on freedom", or some shite.

:confused: i've been reading these forums on and off for 6 years, have i missed something? or is this another off the cuff chip-on-shoulder remark?
  • Options
    You stayed at home, we stayed in the office, you went to take the kids to the park, we stayed in the office (or the trenches), you went for a cup of tea and a natter with mary from number 67, we stayed in the office. Then we went to the pub and all hell broke loose.

Whatever way you put it... People have always had to work (or a long time ago, hunt). That isn't oppression, that's life. Yes, some people had crappy jobs, but that isn't anything to do with patriarchy, or matriarchy.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    A whole tin of beans, some chocolate, condoms and maybe some free bog roll- sod all the other stuff. I'd have taken two bags and thrown the junk away...

I don't think it's sexist to put tampons in a bag designed for women, don't quite a lot of women use tampons? Weren't tampons made by women for themselves origonally, and even I sometimes use the odd vagina mouse, free ones is cool.

What woman would want FHM?
    I would rather read FHM than the condescending drivel that most women's magazines feed us. I mean if you look past the objectifyng pictures which appear in both magazines, FHM is more interesting.
  • Options
    For the love of god does it really matter, its a free goodie bag and I find the misguided gender stereotypes amusing and a bit of fun. I certainly wouldn't be offended by them. If I was making the bags I wouldn't put the same things as were put in these ones, but I would make the girls and boys ones different. I'm all for equal rights and the likes but NEWSFLASH: men and women are different! And anyone who complains that their free can of beans is smaller and therefore repressing women needs to fill their spare time with something more worthwhile. Hello, its 11p in tescos for a full size can. Knock yourself out :rolleyes: