Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clicking Bones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a bit of an oddball. Years ago, I got obsessed with applying pressure with my other fingers, to my nails. Now and again, I go nuts on releasing the pressure in my ears - usually when ill though, and my hearing is poor compared to usual.

Years ago, one of my toes used to click. Now...the lot of them click - I do it almost constantly - half the time I don't notice I'm doing it. I'm always either clicking them just by scrunching them, or clicking them by using the floor to bend them that little bit further, when I get frustrated when they don't click (I notice this once absent mindedly clicking them and they lose their...click..!) I do it with my hands.

It's an awful habit, one I'm really concerned about because I'm doing it a lot of the time without realising...I do it when I'm stressed out...I do it till it hurts some nights.

How do you get out of such a habit - I need to break it - I don't want severe arthritis in my toes, but I get obsessed with doing it, or don't even realise I'm doing it.

Any suggestions :(

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have the exact same thing! I'm afraid of the results too...
    Though I read in this board, no more a few weeks ago, that it doesn't really cause any bad things... I hope that was true...
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I have the exact same thing! I'm afraid of the results too...
    Though I read in this board, no more a few weeks ago, that it doesn't really cause any bad things... I hope that was true...

Thing is with toes I worry about, is that toes help with balance - if I get severe arthritis in me oldie years...balance will surely be impaired by it. Mother keeps cussing me, I don't realise I'm doing it.
  • Options
    Maybe you could try to find that thread I mentioned? I cba right now, sorry. Maybe later.
    I think it was started by my_name, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Clicking joints doesn't cause arthritis.
  • Options
    I'm forever clicking my ankles, it's a bit of a habit for me too and I go through phases of doing it - but I find it quite satisfying (whatever passes the time...)

It shouldn't be doing you any damage, and like Kentish said it's not a cause of arthritis (though everyone tells you that, I know!).
  • Options
    I do it way too much though... The first joints of my finger both "upwards" and "downwards", and the other joints on them both sideways. The toes go all four ways...
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'm forever clicking my ankles, it's a bit of a habit for me too and I go through phases of doing it - but I find it quite satisfying (whatever passes the time...)

It shouldn't be doing you any damage, and like Kentish said it's not a cause of arthritis (though everyone tells you that, I know!).

My mother keeps telling me it and so do my uni friends who go ballistic as I do so much. I find it satisfying too!
  • Options
    My mother keeps telling me it and so do my uni friends who go ballistic as I do so much. I find it satisfying too!
    Ooh yeah... It does feel nice.
    Though sometimes my joints hurt afterwards...
  • Options
    apparently your just cracking air out of the joints. thats whats making the noise.....
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Clicking joints doesn't cause arthritis.

So why does my friends' boyfriend's mum have it then? She clicked her bones for years and now have arthritis...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So why does my friends' boyfriend's mum have it then? She clicked her bones for years and now have arthritis...
    it doesn't mean that caused it - usually you just get it
  • Options
    I do it too and it's annoying and occasionally painful.
  • Options
    i click my bones too. my elbows, fingers, neck, sometimes my toes too but not as much.
    If i dont do it, it starts to hurt and then does it by iteself anyway.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So why does my friends' boyfriend's mum have it then?
    Age? Bad luck? Have you asked your "friend's boyfriend's mum" her full medical history?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    /me shrugs
    I knew someone who bit my finger when he was a baby and later became diabetic. That doesn't mean biting fingers causes diabetes, does it?
  • Options
    ~playboy~ wrote:
    apparently your just cracking air out of the joints. thats whats making the noise.....

Yeah, thats what I thought it was as well...

I click my fingers alot, but thats about it.
  • Options
    Some people just click a lot, in my case, toes, ankles, knees, hips, back, neck, collarbone (though I don't know how), wrists and fingers. It's pretty minging, but there's not a lot I can do about some of them, I wouldn't worry, my physio doesn't.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

i've never cracked my finger joints in my life and i have arthritis in a lot of them.

there's no connection.
  • Options
    Does anyone's jaw click though? Mine does quite a lot, and it's a bit concerning.

I think it's caused by drugs, as it seems to happen more after a heavy weekend although it does happen now on a semi-regular basis and when it happens the first time, if I open my mouth past a certain point it clicks all the while, and ranges from being slightly uncomfortable to fucking caining!

Is there anything doctors can prescribe for lock jaw or is it a permanent thing? :/
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    Does anyone's jaw click though? Mine does quite a lot, and it's a bit concerning.

I think it's caused by drugs, as it seems to happen more after a heavy weekend although it does happen now on a semi-regular basis and when it happens the first time, if I open my mouth past a certain point it clicks all the while, and ranges from being slightly uncomfortable to fucking caining!

Is there anything doctors can prescribe for lock jaw or is it a permanent thing? :/

Mine does, only on one side mind you, and usually only if I'm making it do it.

It's not caused by drugs, but I'd say a fair few do exacerbate it. From what I've read, it's recommended to suck a dummy (or similar) to stop yourself from doing it. Do wonders for your image, that. :thumb: :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Mine does, only on one side mind you, and usually only if I'm making it do it.

It's not caused by drugs, but I'd say a fair few do exacerbate it. From what I've read, it's recommended to suck a dummy (or similar) to stop yourself from doing it. Do wonders for your image, that. :thumb: :p

Aye, same here. It's mostly only if I make it do it (nice little party trick heh) but it does do it on it's own and it gets annoying after a while.

The dummy thing isn't a problem, I'll just have to start going to hard house events. :p
  • Options
    One of my eyelids clicks sometimes!
    Though this surely has nothing to do with the rest, as eyelids don't have bones. :p
  • Options
    i crack my fingers, neck, jaw and spine.

spine is the best, just arc upwards and you cna feel it snapping into palce, feels great.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My wrist that I broke cracks, nowt wrong with it though
  • Options
    Clicking bones is really sexy on women... Just turn me on... :yeees: