Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

stupid references to drugs on t.v./ film

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LOL my bad, I didn't see I'd written that.

Imo, it still does you harm.
    Even if not physically.
  • Options
    smellycat wrote: »
    LOL my bad, I didn't see I'd written that.

Imo, it still does you harm.
    Even if not physically.

Give me an example of the harm.
  • Options
    Doesn't that depend entirely on what you take, how much & how often?
  • Options
    Jesus christ.
    You people are making out I have to explain myself to you.
    Newsfalsh; I don't.

No, it doesn't depend on any of those.

Harm can come in all forms.
    Physical, mental...
    You can become dependant on it.
    Once you've tried it, you continue to crave it.
    Is that not doing you harm?
    Honestly?

+ Tell me what is SO AMAZING about drugs.
    Honestly.
    If I have to explain myself to you, explain yourselves to me.
  • Options
    Jesus christ.
    Newsfalsh; I don't.

No, it doesn't depend on any of those.

Harm can come in all forms.
    Physical, mental...
    You can become dependant on it.
    Once you've tried it, you continue to crave it.
    Is that not doing you harm?
    Honestly?

Give me an example of the mental harm. Which drugs are we talking about when you mention cravings?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Give me an example of the mental harm. Which drugs are we talking about when you mention cravings?
    So you're just going to continue asking me questions and not answer any of mine?
    LOL ya right.
  • Options
    So you're just going to continue asking me questions and not answer any of mine?
    LOL ya right.

I'm trying to establish what you're asking.
  • Options
    I'm trying to establish what you're asking.

You also missed the part where you're supposed to tell me what's so amazing about them?
    I'm waiting. :)
  • Options
    You also missed the part where you're supposed to tell me what's so amazing about them?
    I'm waiting. :)

I never said they were amazing.
  • Options
    I never said they were amazing.
    Great/Good/however you want to word it.
  • Options
    Great/Good/however you want to word it.

I haven't said that either. Do you actually read posts before you reply to them?
  • Options
    hatethread.jpg
  • Options
    I haven't said that either. Do you actually read posts before you reply to them?

It would seem so considering that I'm replying to what you've said.
    + this whole debate started yesterday, sorry if it's not fresh in my mind.

So what is your view on drug use?
    + Why?

K, going to watch BB.:wave:
  • Options
    It would seem so considering that I'm replying to what you've said.
    + this whole debate started yesterday, sorry if it's not fresh in my mind.

So what is your view on drug use?
    + Why?

K, going to watch BB.:wave:

It would seem not, as you're attributing views to me that I have not stated.

What is my view on drug use? Which drugs? Used in what manner?

I believe in harm reduction. People are going to use drugs, so there should be correct information available on how to do it in the safest manner possible.
  • Options
    Great, smellycat you're the own who's been owned. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about, got pulled up on it and are digging a big hole for yourself.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Jesus christ.
    Newsfalsh; I don't.

You don't 'have' to explain yourself but if your not prepared to give us the reasoning behind you beliefs will just have to assume there is none.

Generally it's good to have a decent argument to defend your opinions before stating them publically, else you look rather stupid.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I believe in harm reduction. People are going to use drugs, so there should be correct information available on how to do it in the safest manner possible.

I agree with you. You cant stop people taking drugs (and I'm not a fan much personally) but if they are informed on how the drug will effect them ( in the short and long term), what not to mix, etc then its up to an individual to make the choice to take drugs or not.
  • Options
    It would seem not, as you're attributing views to me that I have not stated.

What is my view on drug use? Which drugs? Used in what manner?

LOL.
    As stated, the conversation isn't fresh in mind.

Any drugs, in any manner.

But there isn't really a safe way to use drugs at all.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Great, smellycat you're the own who's been owned. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about, got pulled up on it and are digging a big hole for yourself.
    ... LOL!
    I'm digging a hole for myself? I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm being owned?

PLEASE.
    I have an opinion. Just because it's different to yours doesn't mean that I have been owned OR that I'm digging a hole for myself.
    Gosh.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    You don't 'have' to explain yourself but if your not prepared to give us the reasoning behind you beliefs will just have to assume there is none.

Generally it's good to have a decent argument to defend your opinions before stating them publically, else you look rather stupid.
    ... I have given reasons.
    People have ignored them in order to keep 'arguing'.
  • Options
    ... LOL!
    I'm digging a hole for myself? I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm being owned?

PLEASE.
    I have an opinion. Just because it's different to yours doesn't mean that I have been owned OR that I'm digging a hole for myself.
    Gosh.

You haven't got a leg to stand on. You said taking drugs makes people less intelligent, you've been asked to give some evidence for this and you haven't done that.

There's a difference in having an opinion and passing something so vague as taking drugs makes people less intelligent as fact. Read the thread again and maybe you'll see the error of your ways.
  • Options
    You haven't got a leg to stand on. You said taking drugs makes people less intelligent, you've been asked to give some evidence for this and you haven't done that.

There's a difference in having an opinion and passing something so vague as taking drugs makes people less intelligent as fact. Read the thread again and maybe you'll see the error of your ways.
    I don't have a leg to stand on?
    Please.

Countless times throughout the thread I have repeated that it is simply my opinion.
    I have not tried to pass anything off as fact.

Maybe YOU should read the thread again.
  • Options
    Wait, taking drugs make you less intelligent? Shit I betta stop then, I'm already fucking stupid!

:)
  • Options
    Not really. :/
    You can be as intelligent as you want, but start taking drugs and you become void of any intelligence at all.

Evidence please?
  • Options
    Evidence please?
    There is no evidence.
    It's an opinion.
  • Options
    I don't get why, after stating that that was MY OPINION, and not something I tried to pass off as fact, you asked for evidence?!
    What the HELL!?
  • Options
    There is no evidence.
    It's an opinion.

No, you passed it off as fact. You did not say "I think" or "it is my opinion" or something similar in that sentence. So have you got any evidence that drug users become devoid of intelligence when they start taking drugs?
  • Options
    No, you passed it off as fact. You did not say "I think" or "it is my opinion" or something similar in that sentence. So have you got any evidence that drug users become devoid of intelligence when they start taking drugs?

LOL, my bad.
    I didn't realise I'd have to spell it out and put "in my opinion" after every comment I made to ensure people get it.
    I must have just assumed everyone here intelligent enough to know the difference between an opinion and fact.
  • Options
    I don't care about anything you show me, my opinion is not going to change.

Lol, isn't that the very definition of an unintelligent being?

Anyway on topic, Pulp Fiction is acutally a good one in that it shows you the good effects of drugs (John Travolta certainly seems to enjoy them in the film with no negative effects) and the negative effects if used incorrectly. I think This Life got quite a lot of controversy because the characters used drugs all the way through without any negative effects. And I think a lot of other drama's since then have done the same, like Shameless and Queer As Folk.

But soaps have problems for two reasons. Firstly they are shown before the watershed, so they can't show "negative" or more specifically illegal things without showing the consequences (though interestingly, Coronation Street wasn't pulled up for a quite positive representation of illegal underage sex). Someone smoking cannabis is a serious storyline, whereas someone stumbling out of a taxi drunk is usually a bit of light entertainment in the middle of the show. And secondly, and perhaps the main problem in any soap plotlines, it's generally written by writers who don't have experience in that particular thing, (how many writers could seriously have gone through all the issues on a soap), which makes them unrealistic.
  • Options
    LOL, my bad.
    I didn't realise I'd have to spell it out and put "in my opinion" after every comment I made to ensure people get it.
    I must have just assumed everyone here intelligent enough to know the difference between an opinion and fact.

You weren't asked what your opinion was, everyone already knows that. You were asked what the basis for your opinion was, and surely that is the time to tell people what facts you base your opinions on? Unless you don't have any factual basis for your opinion, in which case, why not just admit that you're ignorant of the facts surrounding drug use, it's risks, and the positive effects it may or may not have.
This discussion has been closed.