Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

stupid references to drugs on t.v./ film

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
dunno if anyone else watches hollyoaks but did you see the bit the other day when amy and josh were in that abbandoned house and that ''druggie'' was pestering them for ''gear'' ?

I thought the whole scene was ridiculous and actually pretty embarassing to be honest ! And he said 30 quid wouldn't be enough ! You could get over an 1/8 of weed for that, at least a gram of ket/ billy and 1/2 of coke and lots of pills ! I don't know about skag prices but i'm sure you could get some for that too

and that time in hollyoaks that posh bird with the brightly coloured hair, beccas sister ? well she did a pill for the first time and her reaction to it was obviously bad well that annoyed me too

it just annoys me the way they protray druggies and drugs on TV like they are all bad it's not exactly an equal sided argument

not every one who does drugs smells, is poor and scrounges ... i smell pretty nice actually and the majority of drug users are probably equal between rich and poor !

Comments

• Options
    I remember someone on Dawson's Creek taking an E. Of course they couldn't just enjoy it and have a good time, they had to collapse and almost die.
  • Options
    and that time in hollyoaks that posh bird with the brightly coloured hair, beccas sister ? well she did a pill for the first time and her reaction to it was obviously bad well that annoyed me too

I'm pretty sure that was meant to be LSD that she took.

I know what you mean though, the way that skag head was acting was really fake and when she said "he needs drugs", I dunno why but that annoyed me.
  • Options
    at least a gram of ket/ billy and 1/2 of coke and lots of pills

Where the fuck do you get your drugs from?!

30quid will do me for 1g of Ket, and 2 pills.

30quid would do me for 1g of MDMA.

30quid wouldn't do me for ching. :no: 40quiod, maybe.
  • Options
    Guess my charlie dealers are more generous :p
  • Options
    on hollyoaks as well, justin started smoking cannabis didn't he, and turned into a total psycho. not that i watch it. :o
  • Options
    Yep, and when max had a massive heart attack from a line of sniff.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    And of coure anybody with GHB is a rapist.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    They just try and show the worst side of what drugs can do to try and make the veiwers think about it and stay away from drugs
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    on hollyoaks as well, justin started smoking cannabis didn't he, and turned into a total psycho. not that i watch it. :o

:lol: Pull the other one, it's got bells on!

I genuinely don't watch Hollyoaks :razz: so I dunno about this particular scene.

But in honesty I do generally understand why the focus of drugs in film and on TV is on the negatives, despite that not being the experience of most rec. drug users most of the time. They have to be responsible - or be seen to be responsible, should I say - when they have very young, impressionable audiences and their output is at teatime and on Sunday afternoons. It's a bit of a pain and an unfair misrepresentation but I can understand it.

I dunno, it's good to see all aspects of life depicted on screen and for programme and film makers to relate to all their viewers. But I don't really think it's necessary for soaps to show the recreational side of drug use, and obviously while drugs are largely illegal they can't be seen to be glamourising or promoting that lifestyle. Ofcom or whoever would be all over them like a rash.

I think it's a bit different to films, where there's a bit more creative license and a bit more... freedom. If that's the right way of putting it.
  • Options
    Was it in Pulp Fiction where that women like OD's from coke?
  • Options
    she OD's on Heroin in Pulp Fiction; she mistakes John Travola's ultra-scag for Ching.
  • Options
    she OD's on Heroin in Pulp Fiction; she mistakes John Travola's ultra-scag for Ching.

That's the one.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    That's the one.

Don't think that's a stupid reference though, if you sniffed some ultra strong scag I think you'd end up in a state like that.

I understand why T.V shows make even cannabis to be the worst drug ever but lots of people watch these shows and only makes societies views on drugs and drug users even worse.

"Oh my god I can't believe you smoke dope, have you started stealing cars yet to feed your drug habit?"
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Don't think that's a stupid reference though, if you sniffed some ultra strong scag I think you'd end up in a state like that.

I understand why T.V shows make even cannabis to be the worst drug ever but lots of people watch these shows and only makes societies views on drugs and drug users even worse.

"Oh my god I can't believe you smoke dope, have you started stealing cars yet to feed your drug habit?"

True.

Lol I know, it's so stupid... I remember talking to someone in school years ago and they said "Shit Ed, I never knew you took weed."
    It's that word 'took' that pissed me off. It makes it sound so... I don't know, I can't explain what I'm trying to say really but d'you know what I mean?
  • Options
    True.

Lol I know, it's so stupid... I remember talking to someone in school years ago and they said "Shit Ed, I never knew you took weed."
    It's that word 'took' that pissed me off. It makes it sound so... I don't know, I can't explain what I'm trying to say really but d'you know what I mean?
    As if weed comes in little tablets... lol. You don't 'take' booze or fags do you!
  • Options

grrrr stuff like that really pisses me off too

idiotic cunts :mad:
  • Options
    Yeah, but drug users are stupid, so they're obviously not going to give drugs a good message.
    Shows like these can influence people.
  • Options
    smellycat wrote: »
    Yeah, but drug users are stupid, so they're obviously not going to give drugs a good message.
    Shows like these can influence people.

Not all users are stupid. Thats a huge generalisation to make.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Not all users are stupid. Thats a huge generalisation to make.

A lot of users I know/used to know tended to pretty intellgent. I agree with what briggi said above (too many bits to quote), shows producers in 99.99% of cases cant portrey drugs in a "good light" (and I use that phrase very lightly) as Ofcom etc would not be very happy.
  • Options
    Not really. :/
    You can be as intelligent as you want, but start taking drugs and you become void of any intelligence at all.
  • Options
    You can be as intelligent as you want, but start taking drugs and you become void of any intelligence at all.

But tobacco and alcohol are drugs, are you saying anyone who smokes or drinks is void of intellegence?
  • Options

I just dont see how that works. I've tried drugs in the past and I certainly dont think that someone who experiments a few times when their young is suddenly stupid (according to your views)
  • Options
    But tobacco and alcohol are drugs, are you saying anyone who smokes or drinks is void of intellegence?
    Yes.
  • Options
    I just dont see how that works. I've tried drugs in the past and I certainly dont think that someone who experiments a few times when their young is suddenly stupid (according to your views)

I'm not asking you to agree or anything...
  • Options

yeh, I was gona say that. My favourite film :heart:
  • Options
    Yes.

Considering around 90% of people smoke, drink or take drugs (legal or illegal) in this country, we have done pretty well for ourselves if we a without intellegence.

Am I right to assume you dont smoke, drink alcohol or take drugs ? I would suggest you read your last few statements you might find in your case the opposite is true.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Sounds boring to me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

What a comment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Considering around 90% of people smoke, drink or take drugs (legal or illegal) in this country, we have done pretty well for ourselves if we a without intellegence.

Am I right to assume you dont smoke, drink alcohol or take drugs ? I would suggest you read your last few statements you might find in your case the opposite is true.

:thumb:
    LOL.
    It's my opinion.
    I don't care if you disagree, you're not going to change the way in which I think.

Stupid people can do intelligent things, as intelligent people can do stupid things.
    It proves nothing.

Yes, you are right to assume such.
    I'm guessing you obviously do one, if not more from the list. Hence why you're getting so defensive.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Sounds boring to me.

...what does?
This discussion has been closed.