Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stupid Customers.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    :no:

The £5 limit only really applies to small pubs and shops. Tesco's and pub chains will let you pay on debit/credit card for any amount.

There is a new system due to start in London this autumn. Whereby if your bill is less than £10 you can just touch your debit/credit card over a sensor (bit like the Oyster system) and it will debit your card without the need for a signature or pin number. This system will roll out around the UK at the end of the year I believe.

:thumb:

we used to have this on our self-serve tills at the mini tesco, just swipe and go, no pin or sig. always used to make me laugh because there was no protection, they've fitted pin machines to them now.
  • Options
    "Do you work here?" - Despite the fact I'm wearing the store uniform. Naw hen, I just thought this was fashionable.

"See at the fitting room, are you allowed to try stuff on?" - What the FUCK else are you going to do there?

"Do you sell such a thing as slippers?"

"Do you sell, like, I don't know how to explain this. Photoframes without the photos you get in them already?"
    "Uh, you know they're just generic bits of card you can take out, right...?"
    "Oh, I didn't think of that."

"Do you have a toilet in here?"
    "Only an employee one."
    "*looking frustrated* So where do you guys go?"
    "...the employee one?"

"Hi son, are these collar sizes in inches?" - (Despite the fact it has the inches sign beside the number)
    "Yes."
    "How do I find out what size I am then?"
    "You need to phone up Derren Brown, like. Noone else will be able to tell you."
    "Does he work here? Can you get him for me?"
    "..."

EDIT: Someone had a customer in the other day trying to buy a hood from a jacket that was lying on the floor because it was raining out. Not a hat, not the full jacket, just a hood.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    EDIT: Someone had a customer in the other day trying to buy a hood from a jacket that was lying on the floor because it was raining out. Not a hat, not the full jacket, just a hood.

that made me laugh a lot :D

just a hood! friggin weirdos. what were they gonna walk round wearing just a random hood? i cant get over it. haha.

tonight i was so stressed with stupid fuckin customers. this woman kept ringing up asking for the number to Asda House (the big headquarters) so I gave it her. Then she rang back saying i'd given her the wrong number, so i gave her the exact same number. Then she rang back 15 minutes later wanting to know why nobody was answering the phone. i was like...IM IN MANCHESTER, Asda house is in Leeds, how do I know why they're not answering the phone?! im not a mindreader!

rant over.
  • Options
    What goes on inside the mind of these stupid customers that's what I'd like to know, really i would because it goes beyond words trying to describe just how annoying they get.

When someone asks me for a trainer in say a size 7 and i respond saying not only do i not have a size 7 but i only have a size 10 left, do they then ask for the size 7 again, or better still they'll keep repeating " So you don't have a size 7 then ? " .. " No i only have size 10 no other sizes left " .. " so no size 7's left then ? " ..

What's it all about !? Seriously !

Jarvey said something about " Have you never been the customer ? " It's because of my retail experience and knowledge that i know what it's like when i AM the customer.

The other thing i come across a fair bit is customers who are just downright rude for no reason whatsoever, had one just 2 days ago and one a few days before that and I'd already served him two weeks before !

Why do people think it's ok to walk into a shop and talk to you like your shit on their shoe ?

That's why it's always nice to find someone who's friendly and talkatibe and who praises you for what you have to put up with, i even come across people like that.

The world of dealing with everyday human beings eh.
  • Options
    Thing is, customers are the ones paying and staff are the ones getting paid. When you get an arsey member of staff who replies like you're stupid when you ask a simple question it makes me hope they get sacked.

But the staff in retail is like a pick n mix anyway. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Thing is, customers are the ones paying and staff are the ones getting paid. When you get an arsey member of staff who replies like you're stupid when you ask a simple question it makes me hope they get sacked.

But that's different. If it's a genuine question then fine, but if it's something really stupid and obvious then it's just stupid.

The thing I hate most is the people that have a go at ME because their food isn't ready THATINSTANT or because we've not got something. It's not my fault, so stop having a go at me :|. I really don't like rude people. There's a load of Irish guys that come in every so often, all quite large, and order about 5 large meals between them. They pay, and then they say "We're going to sit down, you'll bring it over, yeh?". That really pisses me off. I'm not a waitress. If you're food wasn't already ready, I would be happy to do that, but they can't be arsed to wait for another 2 minutes while I get their order ready.

Blah.
  • Options
    Haha, this thread has made me giggle.

Mc'Donalds has definately got to be the place I've worked at thats had the worst customers. I got pea-shooted at and everything :( ANNNDDD stupid little emo kids just came in and ate sugar and ripped up napkins. Oh how I enjoyed kicking people out :D
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    It's not my fault, so stop having a go at me

Exactly. People can be complete cunts to shop staff.

It's not MY fault the Carling here is 8 for £6 when it's 8 for £5 down the road. It's not MY fault that the comapny's run by twats and they haven't got the money to get the B&H out of the bonded warehouse. It's not MY fault that we haven't got any change because the company's so tight they give us a £100 float of change.

And you wonder why people, who go on and on and on every fucking time they walk in the shop, continue to shop there. If it's so fucking bad then FUCKING SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE.

:D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    And you wonder why people, who go on and on and on every fucking time they walk in the shop, continue to shop there. If it's so fucking bad then FUCKING SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE.

:D

Exactly. KFC is next door, why don't you go there instead you cocks :grump:.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of these stupid customers are mystery shoppers getting their own back because they once were on the recieving end and it drove them mad. :chin:

I've just remembered about one woman who was looking at a sale rail and some of the clothes didnt have sale stickers on them. She asked me how much they were and I explained that they were probably full-price items that people had moved. (That really annoys me, customers picking up stuff, carrying it halfway across the shop and then just dumping it... even worse is when they put it on the rail NEXT to the one they picked it up from :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I told this woman I'd do a price check for her... went to the till, came back to tell her they were all full price. She started mouthing off about it, so I explained again that they must just have been moved by someone, and that they didn't have any sale stickers on them. She made me price check them AGAIN and in the end I asked her if she wanted to speak to the manager cos she just wouldn't drop it and I was already running over my shift time by 10 minutes. :mad:
  • Options
    I've had rude customers before who tutted at me or something. There was one woman who told me there was some sugar spilt on the next aisle so I should go clean it u (in an ordering way). But who am I to argue, someones got to clean it up!

So I got a dustan and brush, thinking it was just a bit as the sguar aisle is notorious. Then she says 'oh thats a bit pathetic!' and follows me to the mess and starts saying hwhat I'm doing wrong. Her boyfriend told her to leave me alone :p

Time of the month, probably. As a customer thuogh, was in KFC, made an order, she gave me my sandwich and said my girlfriends salad would be a few minutes. Ok. So she starts serving other people without telling us where to wait, so we get squished to the side and feel right plonkers. After a minute there are no customers so she rings a garage about her car! 5 minutes after the initial order we're still waiting, she's just standing about, would be nice of her to check our order. Of course, we're terribly English so don't complain. Then she says they have no large salad bowls so we have to have two small ones - fine, we just want the order!

My girlfriend didn't mind that much, but having worked in a retail position I am quite critical of poor customer service, or when they have an attitude with customers.

And I do prefer to pay with card cos it's more convenient than lugging cash everywhere ;). Can't wait for that new thing where you can just swipe your card!
  • Options
    you take a lime and a coconut
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Then they go - oh you don't have a fiver?

I get that all the time! You give them the change and they look at you like you're mad. This man was really rude once when I gave him change. He looked really annoyed and went 'Err whats all this? Have you not got any fivers?' in a really mean way. I just said 'Well clearly not or I would have given you one' and rolled my eyes. He was in a mega huff and all the bar staff were standing there laughing at him :D
  • Options
    When i worked in dear old lidl i used i get the same guy asking me if it was alright to use a £50 note and one morning i just open up and he wanted to pay for something which under a £5 so i ask if he poss had anything smaller or it would use up all my notes... lets just say he wasnt nice! lol

and i once had someone pay for a 3p bag on their card!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Oooo oooo another thing that really really hacks me off - when people pay for a cup of tea with a £20 note, and if they're really lucky I might have a £10 note but the rest ends up in change

Then they go - oh you don't have a fiver?

Well actually sir, yes, yes I do, but I thought I would inconvenience myself by counting out £8 in change - but hang on while I get them to pull up next to this cloud and I'll jump off and run to the bank for you :banghead:
    tbh, I think that's just a rhetoric question, like "Oh, you're here?" or "Are you awake?".
  • Options
    I work on a helpdesk taking calls from computer users.

I had one customer recently who couldn't hear sound on her PC. Checked everything in the control panel etc. Guess what? Her speakers were unplugged from the power! Arrgh. I think that people should get a computer license and just get to grips a little. It's the same with a car license. A little knowledge on hazard perception helps!

Also, people who get reinfected from spyware. They should learn not to install Comet Cursors when they did it first time round!!
  • Options
    oh you don't have a fiver?

I've never done this. I went into a shop one time and paid for something and the change was about a fiver and the shop keeper apologised because there were no fivers and had to gve me £2 & £1 coins.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I've never done this. I went into a shop one time and paid for something and the change was about a fiver and the shop keeper apologised because there were no fivers and had to gve me £2 & £1 coins.
    :yes: I always apologise if we have no fivers, especially if I've just had my till changed.
  • Options
    Oh god customers....

Them: Can I pay for this with my Boots points please?
    Me: Yeah that's fine if you have enough *takes the Boots card*
    Me: Sorry, I'm afraid you only have £3.68 on your card
    Them: Yes that's fine.
    Me: What you're buying comes to £3.70.
    Them: Oh well I'll just give you the 2p then
    Me: Sorry, we can't accept part payment with points
    Them: Oh well, take it off my Boots card then.
    Me: ..... I can't. You don't have enough.
    Them: It's only 2p!!!

Yes I'm aware it's only 2p. But do you REALLY think the till is going to say "Oh it's 2p, I'll let them off". No. It wont. (By the way, I know the part payment thing is a stupid rule, but I can't change it obviously)

I had a great one the other week though....

Them: Excuse me?
    Me: Yes, is there a problem?
    Them: How long can I keep suncream for?
    Me: Erm, well there's a recommended guideline on the bottle.
    Them: No there isn't.
    Me: There should be, like this one *shows them*
    Them: Well there isn't one on mine.... I want to complain.
    Me: Well when did you buy it?
    Them: I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER
    Me: Ok ok, that's fine but she's going to want to know when you bought it from us
    Them: Well, when I went to Florida
    Me: Which was when?
    Them: July 2000
    Me: Well.... yes, I'm pretty sure it'll need replacing by now.
  • Options
    I always ask at the checkout whether the person is still serving or not, I didn't realise it was so irritating. It comes from there having been too many occasions when I've started unloading onto the conveyor belt only for them to bark "I'm not serving anymore" at you like you're something they scraped off their shoe.

When I used to waitress I hated the people who ate 95% of their meal and then complained that it was inedible. When I worked in M&S they still had their ridiculous returns policy which meant that people returned nighties they'd been given on Christmas Day '75 and others would scrat around in charity shops and bring in jackets from 1915 that had a hole in the arm. "I'm sorry, that is coming up on the till as having a nominal value of 1p as it is over 35 years old" didn't seem to wash with them, the amount of people who would complain and complain until they got £50 of credit vouchers for a suit jacket they'd just accquired from the Marie Curie shop was unbelievable...
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I always ask at the checkout whether the person is still serving or not, I didn't realise it was so irritating. It comes from there having been too many occasions when I've started unloading onto the conveyor belt only for them to bark "I'm not serving anymore" at you like you're something they scraped off their shoe.

Same, I very rarely come across a till without a queue where someone is actually serving......
  • Options
    To just make it clear - I do ask these people if they have anything smaller because I have no notes for them and just about get on the floor to beg for their change.. and yet they still ask

i like getting given change in coins! .. usually :yes:
    i collect 2 pound coins so when i give a big note to the checkout theres always part of me that hopes theyve run out of notes ;)

generally when im buying something small i TRY and use small change for it tho!! i dont like to give people large amounts of coppers though!
    i can imagine how that can get very tedious when counting up :chin:
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I work on a helpdesk taking calls from computer users.

I had one customer recently who couldn't hear sound on her PC. Checked everything in the control panel etc. Guess what? Her speakers were unplugged from the power! Arrgh. I think that people should get a computer license and just get to grips a little. It's the same with a car license. A little knowledge on hazard perception helps!

Also, people who get reinfected from spyware. They should learn not to install Comet Cursors when they did it first time round!!

Oh don't start me off on having to take calls from computer users, how/why are so many half wits ou there!

I have at least one idiot a day who rings up for help then proceeds to talk over me while im explaining what to do, with what it is he thinks he should be doing, then he gets arsey when it doesn't work so i have to explain it again, and he talks over me again then asks questions that i've just explained the fking answer to!!!! :grump: :impissed:

I find that i no longer stop myself from sighing down the phone to them any more.

And about your sound problem, i had the very same thing here, with the Managing Director.

Ringing up moaning because he hadn't got sound, and he should have sound, upon investigation he had unplugged the speakers and forgot to plug them back in - This guy is supposed to be running the company! Fucking idiot.
  • Options
    Excuse me miss, I can't tie a double bow, what do I do?
  • Options
    I used to work in a saddlery, and then it was a lot of people that had horses and didn't seem to have half a clue about what they needed, particularly when it came to sizing. Bear in mind horse rugs go from about 3' all the way to 7'6 in 3" increments...

Customer: Excuse me, we need a rug.
    Me: Ok, what type of rug?
    Customer: I don't know, just a rug.
    Me: well what's it for?
    And so on
    Me: Do you know what size you need?
    Customer: No.
    Me: How big's the horse?
    Customer: about this big
    And so on

Then because it was a warehouse type shop with tall shelves, there were lots of occaisions when I had to yell at customers to get the hell off the ladders before I knocked them off. The number that said "oh well I've almost got it." "No, no you haven't. Get off the ladders!"

We also had a sign in the changing room which said "CCTV in use", it was the only form of security in the place. "Is there really CCTV in here?" "Are people watching us getting changed?" etc etc :banghead:
  • Options
    I had this the other day:

C: how much would 190 copies of this be? *shows me a single page of black text*
    Me: that would be £x, madam.
    C: i see. how much would 185 copies be?
    Me: that would be £x
    C: right. How much would 195 copies be?
    Me: that would be £x. (bearing in mind the difference between the largest and smallest price is all of about a quid)
    C: right. Do you know how much <rival company> charge?
    Me: I'm afraid I don't, no.
    C: ok, well i suppose I'll have to do it then

NEXT DAY

C: I had these done yesterday and I have been overcharged
    Me: ok, let me just check the price for you... no, that was correct.
    C: well, <rival company> would do it for a fiver (bearing in mind other company have higher expenses than us, that seems unlikely)
    Me: I'm afraid I don't know about their prices. But I did quote you for this work and you were happy for me to proceed?
    C: Well, I think it's ridiculous. That's one customer winging it's way out of your door right now!! *flounces out*
  • Options
    Me: Hello, telephone orders
    Customer: Hi, I've just seen a bird in my back garden
    Me: That's very nice madam. Would you like to place an order?
    Customer: It's kind of a black and white colour, quite large ... etc etc
    Me: Okay Madam. Did you want to place an order with us today?
    Customer: What type of bird do you think it is? It's very unusual.
    Me: Erm, I'm afraid I can't help you Madam. I'm just a call centre operative.
    Customer: But don't you know about birds? Aren't you the RSPB?
    Me: No Madam. We're just a trading company.
    Customer: Well, my brochure says RSPB on it.
    Me: That's correct. We're a trading company. We have lots of different charity catalogues. You actually need to call the RSPB Head Office.
    Customer: But it says on this catalogue that you are the RSPB. Surely you must be able to tell me what type of bird it is. It's so pretty. Oh, oh, oh ..... oh dear, I thought it was going to fly off then. Stay little birdy. Don't go away. Good birdy.
    Me: So would you like the number for the RSPB then?
    Customer: So who are you?
    Me: We're a trading company.
    and on and on and on, with intermittent monologue about what the bird is actually doing and what she's fed it.
  • Options
    People are so flippin' cheeky! This woman called up last night (I work P/T at my boyf's mums chinese take away)

Me: ****** take away, how may I help you?
    Customer:Hi, it's ****. Just wondering if you have a new chef?
    Me: No, why?
    Customer: The take away I just got is disgusting? There were no peppers either
    Me: (Got my pad out) You ordered the chicken chow mein right? There arent any peppers in it anyway.
    Customer: Well...whatever, there was no sauce and it was dry. It's horrible.
    Me: Is it only horrible because it's got no sauce. Does it taste right though?
    Cust: Yeah
    Me: Okay, well bring it back down and we'll cook you another one
    Customer: I've eaten it. Can you give me a free one next time?
    Me: Errr...no. Sorry

WTF? I hate people trying to scam me!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I deal with a lot of genuinely rich people (Cameron Diaz once dropped by) and the majority are polite and pleasant. The fur coat ladies are always Icelandic and always vermin.

Interesting, a guy I was at college with told me that one sales job he had, they were taught a different sales technique depending the the nationality of the customers. Scary stuff :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Remember guys, these people can vote :eek: