Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was pretty rough most of last week so only got to the gym twice... Bah. The second workout was rubbish too as I wasn't feeling 100% and so laid off after about 20 minutes. Strangely my pecs are STILL sore though...

Will be on it this week though :)
  • Options
    Never mind, we all have lowish points sometimes (as I found today when I was trying to press 10kg in each hand - didn't happen). Crack that whip for next week ;)

Btw, I tried those protein pancakes and they were pretty nice. Would have been nicer with a little bit of maple syrup or something, but I had them with banana. Different texture to regular pancakes though, I wasn't used to it! Recommended all the same.
  • Options
    getting Presence on the Door
    smitherz wrote: »
    Savage you got to miss out for a while. Can i ask what your stats are BigSquidge?

sounds like you got good goals there Smithers...

dont loose your Speed in Getting Size....
    power and Speed rather than outright Strength is much
    more useful in doorwork...

but I understand the want to have presence.

the guy who had most Presence on the door was guy I trained under
    breifly, 5th Dan in Kempo jj, Wicked Sense of humour, only 5 foot 7, of eevil funny mischeif, massive Tendon strength, just Wirey. he was always smiling, but you could just feel his presence when he wanted top project it when things went south....

luckily enough I only saw that once when I was a punter in the Comedy club he was hed door on.

I hope you don't need the Extra size when your Working and you got a good team to back you up....

fingers crossed on doing the door exams.

BigSq
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Had a rather good upper body workout :D

Only downside was the Sacred Penis Area ;) , sorry, Freeweights area

hahahahahahaaa !!!

Cracks me up.... I hate meat headed numpties who don't show any respect to the Gym or other Gym users by doing this....

it doesn't matter how much you can lift, or what gender you are, it's just poor.

most people who do that also suffer from ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrome)
    where they hold there arms out from thier sides coz they are too much beeefcaaaaaaaaaaaaaake....

I really think that Gym induction should also have a Section "Gym Etiquette" that people are given to pass or Fail...

with Questions like
    1) If there is another Gym user halfway through a Set and spotting themselves in the Mirror and you need to get a piece of Equipment, do you
    a) walk in front of them, grab the Dumbell/Barbell/whatever and do start your Set obscuring thier View.
    b) walk around them to get your required peice of Equipment
    c) wait untill they have finished thier Set
    d) tap them on the shoulder and ask to move
    e) tell them thier form Sux.
    f) use the water machine as buttplug/enema

2).....

It shox me howe some people just do not have any common sense or common decency,

bah..

BigSq
  • Options
    It just hit me today that this is my last week at the gym I've been at the past three or four months. :o

Was a nice morning although I barely did any weights. I sort of when wrong when I tried to raise my weight but it backfired and I stalled completely at what had been my peak and I was going to surpass. Could barely do two reps at that weight. :lol:

Aiming for a more focused workout tomorrow. ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    It just hit me today that this is my last week at the gym I've been at the past three or four months. :o

Was a nice morning although I barely did any weights. I sort of when wrong when I tried to raise my weight but it backfired and I stalled completely at what had been my peak and I was going to surpass. Could barely do two reps at that weight. :lol:

Aiming for a more focused workout tomorrow. ;)

hmmmm, yup, I get days like that.. If I'm just not in it, I'll use it as a deload day, go through wth a load more Reps, get my form right, get a Sweat on.
    don't stress it....

or if your Keen to get it on, try setting up to the sets with a load progression.
    i.e if your bench pressing, and you have a Max Weight of say 80K
    do a set at 50, then a set at 70, if you fail at 80, load another 10K on so it's at 90K and just lift it so it's off the Rack, don't Press it... so you just get the Position Set and your nerves and muscles all fired up, hold it for 5-10 Seconds thenput the bar back, take the 10K Extra off so your back at 80k, and try your set again.

makes the 80K feel light..
    and you get the Set out....
    BigSq
  • Options
    BigSquidge wrote: »
    hmmmm, yup, I get days like that.. If I'm just not in it, I'll use it as a deload day, go through wth a load more Reps, get my form right, get a Sweat on.
    don't stress it....

or if your Keen to get it on, try setting up to the sets with a load progression.
    i.e if your bench pressing, and you have a Max Weight of say 80K
    do a set at 50, then a set at 70, if you fail at 80, load another 10K on so it's at 90K and just lift it so it's off the Rack, don't Press it... so you just get the Position Set and your nerves and muscles all fired up, hold it for 5-10 Seconds thenput the bar back, take the 10K Extra off so your back at 80k, and try your set again.

makes the 80K feel light..
    and you get the Set out....
    BigSq

Thanks for that advice! I'll keep this in mind if this happens again. :cool:

Overslept this morning. :o And somehow I got nominated as my class's 'Sportacus' for our graduation ceremony on Friday. :lol:
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with progressive sets unless you are specifically going for a single or triple max effort etc.

go_away - not sure about my injury, it comes and goes :(

I got to get it sorted soon though!
  • Options
    Had a mini-break from the gym as our basement flooded :eek: No damage was done, the water only spread out, rather than up which was good. We pulled the carpet out, but I decided to spend a couple of days with the folks while it dried out.

Lower body day today :yippe: Deadlifting, maybe some squats if I can get to a mirror and some abs work - mostly doing the 'plank' and some work on the swiss ball.

I will then treat myself to a delicious sirloin steak stir-fry with healthy veg at my favourite dim sum place :D

I've noticed that my body fat has been going down a bit. I tried on one of my bikinis and it's a lot looser - my bum has started to fill out more with muscle now and doesn't wobble as much :D I also noticed that in the small of my back, I've started (but only just!) to get those little sacral 'dimples'. My boyfriend loves them, I've never understood the allure, maybe one of you could clarify?
  • Options
    Had a rather nice upper body workout today :D

Just wanted to ask a quick question - have any of you done Hypertrophy-Specific Training? Example It's a little different to the split routine (which is kind of what I'm doing now), and apparently a little more effective.

I'm keen to tweak my workout a bit now that I'm getting stronger and more confident. Let me know if it has worked for any of you.
  • Options
    Quite frankly, HST rocks

Do it!

Give anything and everything a go, combine it with decent nutrition and find out what works for you - it's different for everyone and only with time and more training will you find out what yields you the best results.
    I love HST though.
  • Options
    I can't afford the gym so I get off the bus early and walk for about 25-30mins home. Then I go on a fast bike ride around the woods for half an hour instead. Then I come home and do a load of leg exercises. Then I have a normal dinner and then all night long I'm starving! I have some fruit but still I'm just so hungry :( What can I eat for dinner to fill me up all night long or for a snack a bit later on that won't just waste the exercise I did?
  • Options
    Gosh I just read up the page and I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about :lol:
  • Options
    Generally, what are you eating in a typical day at the moment?
    Quite frankly, HST rocks

Do it!

Ok :D
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Generally, what are you eating in a typical day at the moment?

Brekky: 2 pieces of wholemeal toast
    Snack on fresh fruit such as mango, pineapple and a banana
    Lunch: turkey and avocado sandwich or tuna mayo or something.
    Snack: either yoghurt or ryvita or snackajacks
    Dinner: varies alot because I live at home and so cook whatever is in the house. Its usually a nice balanced meal though.

I think what I'm eating is fine. I just want to know what kind of meals are best after you have done exercise to keep me full, or what snacks are good at about 8-9pm that won't waste my exercise.
  • Options
    Are you having anything during your workout? Opinions seem to vary widely on this (among my boyfriend and his friends anyway) but my boyfriend sips on a protein shake mixed with some fruit juice during his workout.

If I have just worked out, I've normally got a 45 minute bus journey to endure, so I normally have a protein bar (you can make your own, I posted up a link further back I think) - yesterday I just bought one - double chocolate :D I find that the protein and bulk in that keeps me feeling full while I'm making my dinner.

If you're still hungry after dinner, maybe mixing a little more protein in with your snack? My boyfriend likes cottage cheese with fruit (I'm not a fan!) but that might help to keep you fuller longer.

I might not be the best person to ask on nutrition at the moment as I seem to be confusing myself a bit :D but I would add some 'bulk' to the snacks.
  • Options
    Hypertrophy -MAKE MY MUSCES GROWWWW !!!!!!!!
    lipsy wrote: »
    Gosh I just read up the page and I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about :lol:

Hypertophy,

training for Strength and Size Basically.

Lifting Heavier for Less reps, normally to Failure/Failure of Form, not Fatigue
    creating more Microtears in the Muscles from Which Grow more Muscle...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy

BigSquidge

Iron in the Blood
  • Options
    protein, Fibre and Fat, in that order..

carbs are quickly digested (why do you have a chinease meal then
    an hour later you want another one.. all that Rice just dissappears !! =)

beef Jerky if your on the run, boiled egg.
    I keep a couple of tins of tuna in my desk at work.
    though you need something With them as they get a bit
    urrrr... dry, on thier own.

I'll mix a scoop of Protein Pwder into some Porridge oats,
    which will keep me going for a fair while...
    Cook the porridge and let it cool ...

Vegatables/Crudite are a good munch.... avoid the dips...
    also, try drinking more Water... you'd be surpised that your hunger is actually thirst....

man, this is making me hugry, or it thirty.

doh !!!

BigS

-- Iron in the Blood --
  • Options
    BigSquidge: wanted to ask, do you take/know much about BCAA's? I have a couple of friends who recommend them highly, but I haven't ordered any yet.

Started HST a few days ago and I'm loving it :D I'm finding it a lot easier to incorporate compound movements into my workout. I upped the weights on the chest press and deadlift which was a good feeling!

My main goals for the next couple of weeks are to mistress the pull up - I'm doing these with assistance at the moment. Push ups are getting there and I'm hoping to start doing tricep dips with my body weight.
  • Options
    BCAA--> an Article/Advertisement, what it duz for me.. =)

I've just tried them...
    for the last 5 weeks, unfortunately not training as hard
    as I'd Like because of my Hand, but I do think they help... :chin:
    G-man has been using them as Well, but he's got the metabolism
    of a hyperactive Caffeine Fuelled Gym Shrew, so he burns Muscle like Mad.

I'm trying to get lean and keep my muscle...
    and I do feel as if my muscle is a little bit.. urrr,
    fuller, if that makes sense.... and I am quicker to recover as well.

my diet is between 2000- 2400 a day with the BCAA.
    the weight is mooving Slowly but I am keeping my muscle

it's not a massive energy boost or anything like that but if your looking to
    get lean and keep muscle or build muscle then I've heard a lot of good things...

I got mine from here
    http://www.biotest.net/readTopic.do;jsessionid=4EDFA006D3E295C7B080C6A807B79AE1.hydra?id=1123403

theres a list of what they are supposed to do...

15 quid a bottle of 250 caps plus shipping and customs...
    3x 5 capsule on training days.... about 16 Days worth

so I'm going to look at BCAA from myprotein.com...
    try that for a while....

then go for a month without...
    with just protein shakes and Tribulus...

see how I feel. it's so easy to get so many supps and not know what are actually making the Difference.... and start to feel like your Carry a medicine Cabinet with you...
    :eek2:

I'm starting to cut back on what I take...
    what are you using at the moment... ?

oh and good work on the Press and Dips
    BigSquidge

:thumb:
  • Options
    g-man/ g-angel007,
    how you doin with those BCAA's
    you getting results with them ????

BigSquidge
  • Options
    I'll update toneeeeet guys :)
  • Options
    Right - until the training slowed (yet again), whilst I was in Bristol, I was very happy with what was happening with the BCAAs. They're not meant to give you any form of energy lift etc etc as they're pure amino's, but for some reason you feel *something*... I just can't put my finger on what.

NOW - well, foooook me if my left knee isn't mashed, and my right knee is starting to give me bother. Very very frustrating. I have no idea what is wrong - I just woke up last Tueaday and it was sore. It felt fine that night so I did a 5km interval run and it was very sore the next day. Just got worse and now levelled out at just 'painful and a limp'. This morning, the RIGHT one started up! Jesus................ On the ibuprofen, which has stopped some of the pain, but it's no where near right.

I found out tonight that I can do the rowing machine with no pain (apart from the usual hahahaa) so I caned out a couple of kind of stress free KM at 4 minutes/KM, which if I recall, is not a bad pace :)

Rubbish weights workout, as I couldn't put much pressure on the knees for most things (hurt most when I straighten them - strangely), but I got some pivoting(? Forget the term when you transfer the weight from one leg to the other - knees bent, so little/no pain) woodchop at 80kgs on the cables, got some leg curl (front and back) and some lat pull-down. Just enough to get me ticking over, to be honest.

I would love to know what the feck is up with the knees, and if work calms down, I'll try getting it checked out.

Apart from all that, I'm all good. :D
  • Options
    Ouch :( Does it sound anything like this?
  • Options
    No.

The pain is kind of under the knee cap, but mainly to the right of it. If I press on the boney plate on the inside of the knee, it is sore... Very strange.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    BigSquidge wrote: »
    so I'm going to look at BCAA from myprotein.com...
    try that for a while....

Myprotein is by far the best for anything, the quality of their powders are just unbeatable, and for the price of bulk buys you can't really find any better deals out there.

BCAA's are very good if your wanting to cut or bulk, as mixed with the right supplements they really do work.
    BigSquidge wrote:
    I'm trying to get lean and keep my muscle...

Are you doing cardio bright and early in the mornings followed by weights in the evenings? Depending on how active you are you should be able to up your calories a little bit, maybe with some flax seed oil and walnut oil. Waxy maze starch is particularly good straight after workout followed by a protein shake 30 mins after.
  • Options
    I've got some BCAA and Micellar Casien coming from My Protein, and some of their Flavourings, I got a big tub of Neutral Flavoured whey to mix up with the Micellar Casein,...

see what they are like....

2 mornings a week I do interval training (rowing/Stepper/X-trainer) for 25 mins, tue/thur ( I hate Cardio... would rather Kickboxing, or High intensity to get it done)

2 mornings I do rehab work for my posture and shoulder stability, wed/fri

4 lunchtimes I do Strength/weights... supersetting Antagonistic muscle groups. with little rest between sets so it's high intensity Cardio anyhow.... btu each muscle Group gets 2 other Exercises to rest between before beeing hamered again. mon-thur

BCAA in the morning before I get in the Car, with 500Ml of Water...
    BCAA 45 mins before I train,and straight After, Low carb protein shake with milled Flax Seed(fibre&omega3-6-9) and porridge oats (complex Carbs) 300-350 cals...

then have something lighter 60mins later..

I have been known to go to the Gym 3 times a day, rehab/Strength/HIIT
    then the next day do 30mins of steady low Intensity/Strength.

but I work away from home during the Week and I have to keep meself entertained somehow...

unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm living with a friend during the Week and she's a damned Fine Cook !!!!

and I lurrrrrrrve me pies.... :D

BigSquidge

Hey GAngel007...
    you found a gyn near your new pad your gonna take me to ?
  • Options
    Now then mate.

There is an LA Fitness gym nearby (3 minutes walk) which is apparently very good. I'm away oooop Norf this weekend at a wedding, but I may get a chance to pop in on Sunday afternoon to check it ooot. I need to be seeing what free weights they offer, as if it's just a 'health club', there's no point paying the membership when I can go running in Hyde Park instead :)
  • Options
    well, all the Goodies from Myprotein Turned up today.

Flavourings... chocolate, Raspberry, Strawberry... Choco YuMMYYY!!!!!!:love:

Protein Powder... my Gawd thats a lot of protein for 50 quid !!!! :hyper:

L-Glutamine -- urrrr, non tasting White Powder ;)
    BCAA-- dunno haven't tried :naughty:
    Creatine Ethyl Ester -- My Gawd I think I've Licked better Tasting Sewer Pipes !!!!!!!!!!! nearly Retched it was soooo bad... omegawd. Frickin Awfull. :crazyeyes

tried the Creatine/Glutamine before and After lunchtime workout ...
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

good workout..

just got to find a way of hiding that Creatine now....

BigSq
  • Options
    I've got a question for you buff-ys out there. I've been looking into this hiit I keep hearing about here (and I do deeply apologize if the answer is obvious or already said) but theres one thing my simple mind can't get. I can get it on the elpitical or bike or something, but what would be the best way to go about doing it on a treadmill? Would increasing the hill be better, or speed, or both? Or whichever one you're more comfortable with and it doesn't really matter?

And also, the places on the web have all said (paraphrased in my own words) do 1 minute of the very high, then 2-3 of low stuff (or until you're ready to go again) and repeat. Have I got the gist of it right? And I couldn't really find anything on how long to do it for, I usually just walk for like 25 minutes, so the same time, less?

Sorry for so many questions, I was looking it all up last night but I only ended with more questions than when I started.