Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BigSquidge wrote: »
    well, all the Goodies from Myprotein Turned up today.

Flavourings... chocolate, Raspberry, Strawberry... Choco YuMMYYY!!!!!!:love:

Protein Powder... my Gawd thats a lot of protein for 50 quid !!!! :hyper:

L-Glutamine -- urrrr, non tasting White Powder ;)
    BCAA-- dunno haven't tried :naughty:
    Creatine Ethyl Ester -- My Gawd I think I've Licked better Tasting Sewer Pipes !!!!!!!!!!! nearly Retched it was soooo bad... omegawd. Frickin Awfull. :crazyeyes

tried the Creatine/Glutamine before and After lunchtime workout ...
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

good workout..

just got to find a way of hiding that Creatine now....

BigSq

:lol::lol::lol:

I have some of that Creatine E E in capsule form. Christ it's rough... Straight into the mouth then washed down with seemingly gallons of anything! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Would increasing the hill be better, or speed, or both? Or whichever one you're more comfortable with and it doesn't really matter?

doesn't really matter, as long as you go all out...
    on a treadmill I'd do both....

try it at 30 seconds, then rest for 90 Seconds...
    get to the Point where your going hard enough that you start to get Lactic Acid Buildup (bout 30 Secs),where you feel your muscles start to burn....

then Back it off... and try not to fall off the Treadmill,
    if you have Heart Rate monitor, pay attention to it.....
    don't get into the anabolic Range.... 85% Max Beats Per Minute ????
    And also, the places on the web have all said (paraphrased in my own words) do 1 minute of the very high, then 2-3 of low stuff (or until you're ready to go again) and repeat. Have I got the gist of it right? And I couldn't really find anything on how long to do it for, I usually just walk for like 25 minutes, so the same time, less?

like I said start of at 30 Seconds, if your good with that up it by 5-10 seconds each Gym Visit you do it and don't find it hard....

if you do a sprint and it wipes you out take an Extra bit of time to recover.

I'm up to a 2 minute warmup, then 50 Seconds hard, 70 seconds slow..
    repeat until 20 minutes is up..... then cool down....
    Sorry for so many questions, I was looking it all up last night but I only ended with more questions than when I started.

there's no such thing as a stupid Question...
    welcome to the list...
    :wave:

BigSquidge
  • Options
    durrrrrrrr,
    anabolic range...

I mean anearobic.....

=)
  • Options
    my_name: I started HIIT on the treadmill only recently, and combine the high points with speed and the 'hill' setting. Leaves me in a lovely sweaty heap afterwards :D

About a week into HST, and I'm finding it much easier to include compound exercises. Upped the weights on the leg press to 88kgs (I know it's an isolation one, but for the lower body I'm only doing deadlifts, still working on the sqwaat). I've been practicing my chin ups with the assistance of the bench which are getting easier to do. I did one without the bench to see if I could handle one, and I did it! I could also see my upper body muscles going for it and I was like, "Rawr" :D Obviously couldn't manage another one ;) but I'm working on it.

I tried dipping my body weight on that funny looking thing, but found it very difficult to do (no more than 3) so I might keep doing dips on the swiss ball, working on stabilising myself at the same time.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    my_name: I started HIIT on the treadmill only recently, and combine the high points with speed and the 'hill' setting. Leaves me in a lovely sweaty heap afterwards :D

yup, I am a big Mess when I eventually Slip off the x-trainer, really works you..... harrrrrrrd...

my_name: I've been practicing my chin ups with the assistance of the bench which are getting easier to do. I did one without the bench to see if I could handle one, and I did it! I could also see my upper body muscles going for it and I was like, "Rawr" :D Obviously couldn't manage another one ;) but I'm working on it.

you tried doing Negatives ??
    it's the eccentric Phase of the exercise, the Lengthening of the muscles.
    step on the Bench and grab the bars so your right at the Top of the Pull up, then slowly let yourself drop..
    try and hold it for more than 5 seconds on the Way down...

oooouuuuch....
    but really works....
    my_name: I tried dipping my body weight on that funny looking thing, but found it very difficult to do (no more than 3) so I might keep doing dips on the swiss ball, working on stabilising myself at the same time.

keep going Girlfriend... hmmmm hmmmmm (does yo girlfriend rotating head dance)

no bingo wings for you !!! :thumb:

BigSquidge
  • Options
    Thank you :D That did help explain it. I think I'll give it a go. You're all the best ;)

And of course, go you, also. :thumb:
  • Options
    I've done a little bit of negative work, not much though. I'll try it next time.
    keep going Girlfriend... hmmmm hmmmmm (does yo girlfriend rotating head dance)

:lol:

(is it really bad that I had to google 'bingo wings'?)

my_name: let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    HIIT really should be going all out blast then a short break, then a repeat.

Fartlek or Interval training is where you go for 1 min fast, and 2 mins slow etc..
  • Options
    Ignoring the use of the word 'toned' in this clip, check out this Brazilian chica and her most amazing form during squats. The ahem, aesthetic qualities are not too bad either ;)

http://www.vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/1307

:D
  • Options
    I fucking love her.
  • Options
    Ignoring the use of the word 'toned' in this clip, check out this Brazilian chica and her most amazing form during squats. The ahem, aesthetic qualities are not too bad either ;)

http://www.vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/1307

:D

wow !! now that's good Form....

grinsss...

check out Jenny Lynn's form.. just ignore the Apple Pie n Mom ness of it.
    http://webcast.bodybuilding.com/fitshow/fitshow/fitshow.php?episode=40

I've just finished Watching th 25th Anniversary Edition of 'Pumping Iron'
    the Documentary (honest) of Arnold Shwarzzzenegger winning his last Mr Olympia with Lou Ferigno and Serge nubret as runner ups.
    (lent to me by a friend)

brilliant,
    and all the Specials including interviews 25 years later....

Arnold Was Such a Cheeky Bastud !! grinssss.
    but well worth Watching....

BigSquidge:)
  • Options
    I'm definitely going to join a gym when I get out of the hospital so I can use it as an alternative to self harm because you push yourself and it hurts but it's a good sort of pain. As long as I dont go mental with it and turn into a fitness freak. I love running machines at gyms and cant wait for a feeling of independance.
  • Options
    Exercise has really helped me control my mood swings and generally helped combat any winter blues. It's a totally different feeling to self-harm (in my own experiences), I mean, like you said, sometimes it can hurt and you have to really push yourself and at times it's purely the power of your mind getting you through but the effect on your body and mind is solely positive.
  • Options
    moving metal and mood.

working out, weights, or martial arts, mountain biking, anything like that really helps me in my mood.

I find it really easy to get into a brain Fog if I haven't been active...
    apart from getting your whole body going, it get's your brain Chemistry
    sorted out as well.

and the trade off is,
    you get fitter and healthier...

feel better about yourself...
    makes you appreciate your body more..

because your mind is what makes your body do it...
    fingers crossed, you'll be posting some routines here soon.

what do you think your eventual Goals are ?

BigSquidge

:)
  • Options
    Creatine Ethyl Eater tastes Like (Insert Expletive here)

Well yahooooey !!!!

found a solution to the Creatine Ethyl Ester....

mix it into neat Vimto Cordial and do a Vimto shooter....!!!!!!!!

not nice... :yuck:

but not horrid !!!!!!!!! :D

BigSquidge
  • Options
    Upped the weights for my deadlift and something else but I can't remember what the exercise was lol, muscle is eating my brain :D

That's it, the lat pulldown :D

I've noticed my legs have taken a lot more shape recently. My boyfriend punched my quad the other day and it didn't move, as opposed to a year ago where there would have been significant wibble! :D
  • Options
    lifting after beer

good going Go_Away...
    keep it up.. progression Rocks...
    you keeping a log book of your numbers ?

well, just got back after a long weekend away in Brugge belgium,
    as predicted, loads of bhoooze (70 odd beers tried throughout the weekend)
    and loads of food, mainly meat... and chips, and mayonaisse...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

followed by a "Farken Ell 6 lbs in a weekend !!!!!!!!!" weight gain...
    thougt It would be more !!!

bawlls.

so lunctime give meself a good pasting shoulder wise... in a circuit with Lat pulldowns and Squats with a 20K plate.

sat back at my desk and had that slight jittery pumped up feelign.

hmmmmmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Felt good to be like that.
    now I just gotta claw back on the food or that Bellies gonna Getchya waistline....will arrive in Full Effect...

BigSquidge

;)
  • Options
    I signed up at JJB gym last week, and am booked in with one of the fitness instructors for tomorrow. I'm aiming for maximum muscle gains with training to failure etc, and have just started taking creatine monohydrate to try and speed things up a bit and try and kick myself into shape, as i'm of a hard gain build due to a rapid metabolism.. Also improved diet etc. We'll see how I do - currently 9st 0.5lb, arm diameter of around 27cm, height 5ft 5.5ins.
  • Options
    lol, I wouldn't expect too much from the creatine in terms of mass mate. It's benefit is strength as it increases water retention the muscles for some people.. which means you can lift more.. which in turn makes you bigger..

Anyway, good luck, just eat big, (especially big in your case), and train hard.. it's going to take ages though, so be prepared for that..
  • Options
    well i signed up yesterday and having stickers attached then told that an electrical current was going to be passed through your body was fun :nervous: .. didn't feel anything and got an okay body fat reading. Did well on all the tests apart from flexibility which I was a bit sad about cuz I can cross my legs and all that jazz.
  • Options
    lol, I wouldn't expect too much from the creatine in terms of mass mate. It's benefit is strength as it increases water retention the muscles for some people.. which means you can lift more.. which in turn makes you bigger..

Anyway, good luck, just eat big, (especially big in your case), and train hard.. it's going to take ages though, so be prepared for that..

Thats what I meant :p The point with the creatine is that I'm aiming for that extra kick with it. Got my plan drawn up today - incidentally, on doing my chest I noticed a lot of really unpleasant crunching sort of feeling around my shoulders to the point I had to stop once (similar to the feeling of cracking knuckles). I'm guessing possibly lack of warming up...?
  • Options
    shoulders Crunching

lack of warming up ?

possibly.

have they always crunched ?

also try drinking more Water and see if you get hold of cod Liver oil
    capsules, they help my joints no end, take them just before food, so you don't get the unpleseant aftertaste if you belch... :yuck:

BigSquidge
  • Options
    BigSquidge wrote: »
    lack of warming up ?

possibly.

have they always crunched ?

also try drinking more Water and see if you get hold of cod Liver oil
    capsules, they help my joints no end, take them just before food, so you don't get the unpleseant aftertaste if you belch... :yuck:

BigSquidge
    They haven't done it before that I can remember, although I've not worked out for a while before now. I'll have a go at the cod liver oil thing, and already drink about 3 litres of water / juice a day.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    They haven't done it before that I can remember, although I've not worked out for a while before now. I'll have a go at the cod liver oil thing, and already drink about 3 litres of water / juice a day.

do they still Crunch now ???
    not under Load ?

BigSquidge
  • Options
    Fuck me! I have just got my order through (I ordered the Leanness Lifestyle a couple of weeks ago) and it's over 450 pages long! I'm going to enjoy reading it :D

Too lazy/tired to put my stats up, but I'm still working out, and my body fat is roughly around the 19% level. Yayness!
  • Options
    Aaaaahhhhh... :)

I'm not working for a bit and so just had my first session at my new local gym. Took it quite easy (again) as barely been for the last few months but it feels good. I'm gonna make good use of the time off and hit it in a morning for HIIT training and later in the afternoon for strength training for. Just got to hammer things to get me back on track - and i'm quite looking forward to it :)

This thread had slipped a bit - time to get it going again now I am online through the day ;)

I tell you, it's amazing how much you slip when you have some time off the training....!!
  • Options
    Ahem, time to resurrect this thread a bit :D
    I tell you, it's amazing how much you slip when you have some time off the training....!!

Tell me about it, I've had a bit of a break due to work, but now I'm back with a vengence :D (but not overdoing it of course ;) )

Oh, and the weekly award for shitty exercise advice for women goes to the Guardian:

How do you get arms like SJP?
    The look that women covet is long, lean upper arms, and for this, you need to do something called a frontal raise. Stand up, hold a light weight - no more than 3kg - in each hand, with the back of your hands resting on your thighs in front of you and your palms facing forwards. With the elbow soft [slightly bent], lift the arm straight out in front of you so your wrist is level with your eye line, and slowly lower. Keep your wrists in a neutral position - a straight line from knuckles to elbow."
    You need to do around 16 repetitions, three or four times a week, and Hall says if you do it right, you should see a change in three weeks. Do it slowly, she adds, and don't grip the weights too tightly, or you will get bulky forearms.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    That advice is such typical bollocks. Also, 16 reps 3 - 4 times a week. That won't do shit!

Honestly, I'd love to give some of these people a slapping... :wave:
  • Options
    It's just like why WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do women so often get shitty exercise advice? :(

Btw, do you read Men's Fitness magazine? A friend of mine recommended it, she said it's like Men's Health, but without the shagging advice!
  • Options
    It's just like why WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do women so often get shitty exercise advice? :(

Btw, do you read Men's Fitness magazine? A friend of mine recommended it, she said it's like Men's Health, but without the shagging advice!

Yeah I do. In fact, I was just reading it then! A fine read and worth a subscription IMO.

My housemate (and brother's girlfriend) got a thing done for her at the gym a couple of weeks back. I knew exactly what I would find in there when I opened it... Tricep Kickbacks. ARGH! Waste of time. 50% of it was actually quite good, but it needed the weights increasing... The rest of it was just tripe.