Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's amazing. It's like a separate entity to my legs now. No longer do they blend together in one big lump of cellulite lard. Very happy.
    I know how you feel, it's so amazing when you start seeing result after putting in decent hard work. The best motivation for sure!

I've not seen any obvious difference since I started upping the intensity of my workouts (after reading stuff provided by the great lot in this forum :D) but I feel much better and am starting to feel like I'm getting more 'streamlined'. I'm also craving better food. :) I'm rather new at this but I'm already loving to wake up early to exercise in the mornings, I lose my free gym access for three months in the summer but my friend's family owns a smallish squash club nearby where if I buy a pass I get access to everything so I can do weights, attend spinning classes and play squash. :thumb:
    Yeah I find when I'm working out I crave much better food.

It takes a while to see obvious results if you're new to it (well, it was the case for me, but I had quite a bit of fat to shift!) but I'd recommend keeping a log of what you're doing, because the progression on there will be useful to look back on when you see how far you've come :)
    Yeah - my body almost rebels if I try shoving fried chicken down it now...!!
    Having said that, I might treat myself to one of those deliciously sugary Gu desserts. Everything in moderation ;)
    I've started writing down what I do in a book I have. It's already proving to be nice to be able to look back what I've been lifting as my memory is better used remembering other things! ;)

It'll take me a while to reach my ultimate goal but every little step makes me more proud of myself. I like it. :D
    Jaloux: I'd love to hear what you're doing at some point :)

Had a session yesterday, just squatting and deadlifting. Did some front squats while holding a 10kg plate in my arms, I found I was able to squat lower than doing the back squats. Added some more weight to the back squat, so including the bar, I'm squatting around 30kg I think.

Boyfriend has noted that there's less fat around my lower back, which is good. My abs are getting better too, although I think I need to do some more ab work with some classes.

Since I'm in the menstrural hut, I decided to take action and give into my simple sugar craving, in the form of a Gu chocolate cheesecake :D (if you're going to do something, do it properly!)
    I'm not actually too knowledgable about the english (or Icelandic) names of what I do, but I've been looking at books for a more variety of exercises and added to the gym equipment I use I've been trying stuff like lunges and different versions of 'chest presses' using dumbells. Instead of going for volume of equipment like I started with I've now started focusing on quality so I'm doing fewer but feel I'm getting a better workout out of it this way.

I've been trying to go on weekdays (mornings :D) and usually do 3x with weights and the other two I chill more, mainly using the treadmill or the cross trainer. Maybe I'll see if I can add inline skating since it's bright and beautiful at 6. Also want to play squash this summer! I love high power action.

I did go this morning and it felt so good. :D Although I accidentally overdid my back in a back exercise. Only did 10x, too. :S I've been trying to be so careful but it takes so little.
    I had a session with my trainer friend yesterday afternoon - I'd forgotten just how much having a training buddy improves your focus etc. Also, having one that knows what they're doing is even better as they can check your form. Quality.

Am starting a programme of single arm workouts for the next month or so (on top of the other stuff) as I'd forgotten just how dominant my right arm is over my left... I put it down to years of masturbation. :lol:

Last week in this bollock of a job I'm doing. I've already scoped the gym closest to the office in my new place so should be able to get right back on it!
    After some advice. I bought a set of small weights, not too sure what to do with them other than the obvious tricep/bicep things. Can I use them to work other parts of me apart from my arms? I don't want to end up with toned arms and untoned rest of body. :)
    Did you not get a sheet with them showing various exercises?

You should be able to work pretty much every major muscle group using dumbbells.

Lemme see if I can find a few links for you. Alternatively, go to www.t-nation.com and do a search there :)

Here's one link to start:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbellexercises.html
    Lunges with dumbbells are pretty good, maybe get a squat or eight depending on how you hold the weight.

I upped the weights for my deltoid exercises :D Couldn't complete my sets of 8 but it was well worth adding on the extra weight as I was going nowhere with 6kgs, and should have upped them a while ago.

Chest press using dumbbells - I might try and do 10kgs next time. Triceps ache, biceps are doing well with their new weight too. A good workout had! Since I started deadlifting and squatting, I seem to have acquired this new found strength. Whatever it is, I like it!

I really wish the one guy at my gym would put his bloody weights back :grump:

In other news I got a first for an essay worth 40% for that module :yippe: however, when I wrote it, it was late at night and I was losing my patience with writing, so my flow was a bit... shite. The tutor who marked it asked if English was not my first language. Oh. the. shame. :o
    go_away wrote: »
    In other news I got a first for an essay worth 40% for that module :yippe: however, when I wrote it, it was late at night and I was losing my patience with writing, so my flow was a bit... shite. The tutor who marked it asked if English was not my first language. Oh. the. shame. :o

:lol::lol::lol:

Exercise-wise, I reckon it will be the GH released when squatting/DL that will be kicking the rest of your muscles up the arse :)
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Exercise-wise, I reckon it will be the GH released when squatting/DL that will be kicking the rest of your muscles up the arse :)

I think that must be it too. When I picked up the 8kg dumbbells I thought, "Hmm, these feel a bit light! Corr!" :D
    katchika: Goblet squats :yes:

Thought this recipie might be handy: Protein bars

There's another one for protein muffins might try it out...
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I have a few recipes myself

Protein Flapjack

50g protein powder(about 2 scoops),
    75g soya bran(health shops sell this),
    3 egg whites,
    2tbsp. natural peanut butter,
    a little water.

Method
    Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Mix all ingredients thoroughly to a 'sticky' consistency and spread onto baking tray evenly. Squeeze a little natural honey on top and some dessicated coconut if you want a sweeter taste. Bake for 30mins approx. Cut into 4 bars. Approx per bar: 100 cals; 18g protein; 5g carbs; 1g fat

Shake

1 heaped tbsp linseeds
    400ml skimmed milk
    1 medium banana
    3 apples
    3 heaped tbsp low fat natural yoghurt
    100g oats
    1 heaped tbsp of activated barley (from an MT sponsor)
    3 scoops maltodextrin
    3 scoops whey protein powder

Method
    In a blender/smoothie maker, add linseeds, milk and choped banana. Blend well in order to break all linseed and puree the banana. Then add apples, chopped well, protein, barley powder and maltodextrin. Blend well again, until all is mixed. Finally add oats and yoghurt and blend until it is lump free and drinkable.

The shake can be quite thick, so you may wish to add extra water to form the desired consistency. It is very nutritious, providing 4 fruit servings, essential fats, soluble fibre, calcium, high quality protein, and of course, is very high carbs.

This is the bad boy shake for anyone wanting to bulk

liquid egg whites x 10 170 calories 40g protein
    choc casein powder x 50g 200 calories 40g protein
    smij of whole egg powder x 10g 5g protein 75 calories
    choc whey x 15g 10g protein 75 calories
    weetabix x 6 400 calories 85g of CHO
    oat powder x 25g 100 calories 15g of CHO
    flax oil x 10ml 80 calories 8g of fat
    walnut oil x 5ml 50 calories 4g of fat
    coconut oil x 5ml 40 calories 4g of fat
    banana x 2 200 calories 50g of CHO
    smooth peanut butter x 1 teaspoon 75 calories 5g of fat 3g protein
    aspartamte x 3 teaspoons
    water to suit

~1500 calories - all cals/amounts are rough, 2 litre + flask

Use a road drill like hand blender followed by some massive shaking before each of 3 servings throughout the day, generally 2-3 hours apart. sedentry people can lower the quantities, active can increase them
    smitherz wrote: »

This is the bad boy shake for anyone wanting to bulk

liquid egg whites x 10 170 calories 40g protein
    choc casein powder x 50g 200 calories 40g protein
    smij of whole egg powder x 10g 5g protein 75 calories
    choc whey x 15g 10g protein 75 calories
    weetabix x 6 400 calories 85g of CHO
    oat powder x 25g 100 calories 15g of CHO
    flax oil x 10ml 80 calories 8g of fat
    walnut oil x 5ml 50 calories 4g of fat
    coconut oil x 5ml 40 calories 4g of fat
    banana x 2 200 calories 50g of CHO
    smooth peanut butter x 1 teaspoon 75 calories 5g of fat 3g protein
    aspartamte x 3 teaspoons
    water to suit

~1500 calories - all cals/amounts are rough, 2 litre + flask

Use a road drill like hand blender followed by some massive shaking before each of 3 servings throughout the day, generally 2-3 hours apart. sedentry people can lower the quantities, active can increase them

:lol:

Jesus H. Christ!! You're not joking about that being a bad boy of a shake!!!!! Wow!
    Cheers for the advice on squats etc, will print them off and try later in the privacy of my home.

If a normal, non weight training person drank that shake, would they just get fat?
    katchika wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice on squats etc, will print them off and try later in the privacy of my home.

If a normal, non weight training person drank that shake, would they just get fat?

It wouldn't exactly do them the world of good compared to somebody who *is* lifting, but there's nothing bad in it at all. The proteins etc would be stored as fat and muscle glycogen, with this and the fact that there are a hell of a lot of calories in it, and so yes, fat weight would be gained unless these calories are used up.
    :lol:

Jesus H. Christ!! You're not joking about that being a bad boy of a shake!!!!! Wow!

Works wonders too.
    katchika wrote:

I wouldn't advise a women having quite as much as that, lower the amounts and smaller servings. Ideally you do need to exercise or train on that although it does contain alot of healthy fats
    The proteins etc would effectively just be wasted and passed through the body without being absorbed.

Why? explain plz
    Why? explain plz

Actually, I got that wrong. It would be converted to fat or muscle glycogen and stored. Got ahead of myself there, rushing things whilst at work...
    That bad boy shake sounds terrifying :lol: Going to give the flapjacks a try
    Actually, I got that wrong. It would be converted to fat and stored. Got ahead of myself there, rushing things whilst at work...

Your right in a way, if too much of that shake is drunk at one time, however thats the reason its split between 3 servings throughout the day
    Your right in a way, if too much of that shake is drunk at one time, however thats the reason its split between 3 servings throughout the day

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the other poster's question with regards to somebody who is not working out... This works for any unused protein, and so somebody who isn't working out would have a much lower need for protein in their diet, beyond what dietary protein is used for muscle maintenance and supporting other functions.

Much else is a bit of a waste and it would be stored as fat, which for example, if you're a dancer would be a bit of a nightmare.

Your requirements are completely different as your body will be in a constant state of repairing itself, and so will consume the protein efficiently.
    Yeah, I was specifically referring to the other poster's question with regards to somebody who is not working out... This works for any unused protein, and so somebody who isn't working out would have a much lower need for protein in their diet, beyond what dietary protein is used for muscle maintenance and supporting other functions.

Much else is a bit of a waste and it would be stored as fat, which for example, if you're a dancer would be a bit of a nightmare.

true :thumb:
    true :thumb:

:D

Lord knows what I was thinking about on my first post on this :lol: Feeling a bit braindead today :yeees:
    stop muscle atrophy by exercising the other Arm

I read on t-nation or mens health that if you keep training the unuinjured arm
    while keeping a little tension on the Injured arm that the Rate you loose muscle descreases,

It's connected with the Way the Central nervous System sees them as 2 parts of the Same system.

worth a search for the Specifics, but it's a way of at least Reducing how much your arm wastes away.

BigSquidge

go_away wrote: »
    Completely! If they had just done the x-ray, or not bothered doing it at all instead of sending me back. The doctor got really cross and rang a SPr to come down and examine me (another waste of someone's time) and then I heard lots of talking, and the doc said to me, "They're arguing the toss between them." Talk about feeling like a pawn!

Ah well, they said the lower body is fine to do, so I'll keep at that and hopefully keep burning the fat off my abs. I'm starting to get a 2 pack :D
    BigSquidge wrote: »
    I read on t-nation or mens health that if you keep training the unuinjured arm
    while keeping a little tension on the Injured arm that the Rate you loose muscle descreases,

It's connected with the Way the Central nervous System sees them as 2 parts of the Same system.

worth a search for the Specifics, but it's a way of at least Reducing how much your arm wastes away.

BigSquidge

Now then BigSquidge. Good to have you on board! ;)

Need to go wakeboarding again sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon :D
    katchika wrote: »
    After some advice. I bought a set of small weights, not too sure what to do with them other than the obvious tricep/bicep things. Can I use them to work other parts of me apart from my arms? I don't want to end up with toned arms and untoned rest of body. :)
    I do pretty much most of my Free Weights with Dumbells,
    think of the major muscle groups,

chest - pressups - bench presses - flys - single arm presses,

do the antagonistic muscle Group -- Back (Lats(latissimus Dorsai) romboids/rear Deltoids/trapezius)
    bent over row, with Elbow tight to your Side (lats/rhomboids)
    bent over Row with Elbow out Wide, really Squeeze those Shoulder Blades together.(rhomboids Palms Facing each other/Rear Deltoids Palms facing to feet)

shoulders, Mititary Press, front Raises, side raises,
    change Grip (Palms Facing each other/ Palms facing to feet) to change emphasis.

Upper Traps - Shrugs (

lats / Pull ups, Palms Facing away from Face
    Biceps n Lats, palms Facing Face.

Core -- wood chops, russion Twists on a swiss Ball,
    Good mornings (while Standing, hold dbs, bend forward slowly from Waist, then straighten up, remember to keep your back straight, and Tighten your Ass,) crunches.

I do single arm circuit which kills my core, because it's used to stabilise my body while bench pressing, or bent over Rows... t has to tighten support and stop my shoulders from Twistiing.

for your legs, squats, lunges, hill sprints, single leg squats (hard on legs and Balance)

try a look at

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale.html

click on a body part , and you should see Exercise lists.
    should give you some Ideas of what to do.

remember to have fun...

BigSquidge