Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Time to resurrect this thread a bit :D

I'm joining a new gym tomorrow as the other one will be a bit further from my current campus, I'm going to trial it for a month (I'll be there for a maximum of 6 months before going back to my old gym). Had a gander around this afternoon. It's next to the hospital and looks fairly quiet. There were 3 people using it when I popped in. The free weights area looks smaller, but more light and airy, and they have more bars for deadlifting rather than just the one.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Some decent exercise advice for women for once!
  • Options
    Resurrecting this thread since it has been a bit quiet... :blush:

Gave up on the hospital gym because I just couldn't concentrate in there, as sad as it sounds, I really missed my old gym. I now have my timetable through for my surgical module which means I have a few afternoons off, so I can afford to go to ULU :D

As it's freshers week, the gym is a) packed with newbies paying 125 pounds for a years membership that they'll use for about 3 months tops and b) looking like it's London fashion week since the girls are on the cross trainers in attire that makes me think :eek2: and make up on (why girls wear make up in the gym is beyond me).

Anyhoo, as soon as I started deadlifting I was like, "Why did I take a break for so long, rawr!!!" :D Getting more stares than usual because of the newbies, but I overheard a girl being shown around that she's interested in free weights, so lets hope she's a convert :D

I'm deadlifting less than what I was, because I don't want to overdo it, and it's also near impossible to! Hopefully that'll return soon?

Nice being back though :D

I thought this was an interesting read, a woman who was 270lbs and lost 100lbs Being fat sucks
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    As it's freshers week, the gym is a) packed with newbies paying 125 pounds for a years membership that they'll use for about 3 months tops and b) looking like it's London fashion week since the girls are on the cross trainers in attire that makes me think :eek2: and make up on (why girls wear make up in the gym is beyond me).

God I hate this at the gym too. Girls that go to the gym in enough make up to weigh there face down and dressed up like it's a fashion show! Lol how old do I sound?! I just look like a sweaty mess in minging old t shirts about 5 times too big.
  • Options
    I look like a total geek most of the time with my glasses on :D

Don't get me started on the girl who was standing half on half off the treadmill, talking to the guy working out. Did I miss the, "Treat the gym like any regular hang-out joint" memo? But it was cardio equiptment, so I guess I was more forgiving ;)
  • Options
    I never understood why people would want to hangout and have a conversation at the gym. I'm always sweating and exhausted after my workout. Why not meet up later when both people are in a more comfortable and relaxing atmosphere? I also can't stand when people are blocking one of my machines that I need to use.
  • Options
    I don't want people to talk to me while I' m at the gym, I'd just rather be left alone to get on with it. I'll smile if I see someone I know but I won't start a full blown conversation, normally I'm in a world of my own with my ipod on.
    It annoys me so much when people take up machines and are just sat there talking or on their phone, I feel like saying will you move your ass! But most of the time the gym staff will ask them to get off the machine if there not using it.
  • Options
    So I've started lifting weights again on Monday, first time in about a year. And no surprises, I'm still sore. Took it easy and more than halved all the weights I was doing last year, but still it was tough going. Don't think it's going to take long to get back up to speed. Trying to drop 30lbs to get down to 170lbs, and started eating more healthily again to help this out.

Only figured out I was so big when I was getting fitted for my kilt and my belly was 41 inches :eek2: :impissed:
  • Options
    I've sort of started again, first two weeks were but I got sick a while ago and haven't fully recovered still so I've been pandering about doing pretend-workouts on the treadmill. :( Kinda pumped up the speed this morning just to sweat myself out. I love the out of breath feeling. :D

However, weights have been on the back burner pretty much since I got sick and poorly. My body is itching for a proper workout but I've been unable to take any days off (to get over my sickness) so I don't want to overdo it. Hoping that after next week things will calm down.

I lost a lot of weight this summer and it's a totally different life I'm living now. I plan to lose even more before the end of this year where I'll stop. I'll start working shifts in two weeks so I'm contemplating whether to go to two gyms. I get free access to one and my friend's dad owns the other so so far I've not had to pay. Need to talk to her and see if I can pay for the summer and maybe continue my membership for a bit and see how goes. That way I could go to work gym on workdays and the other on my days off. Will have to see...

SO glad to be back in action. I was kinda lazy the second half of summer and it shows in the weights I've dropped down to. :lol: Wooops...
  • Options
    Well fuck me, I'm back.

Just started a new job and found a wicked local gym (not health club) right next to the tube, 5 minutes from the office. Proper gym. Big metal plates. No TVs on all the cardio machines. No people mincing around. Superb :)

Lemme just give you a small snifter of what this has that I have not had access to for MONTHS:

2 x squat racks
    3 x benches + bars (one reverse incline, one adjustable and one fixed horizontal)
    Z-bar
    Smith Machine

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :) So pleased. I'm working some long hours at the moment and so am finding it impossible to get to the gym after work so it's perfect for hitting at lunchtime.

RAWR!! :D
  • Options
    squat racks

Squat rack? Whatever could this be? I know, I'll just take up space and do my BICEP CURLS here :D

I have been a bit unwell this week so haven't gymmed. I will on Friday :yes:
  • Options
    Squat rack? Whatever could this be? I know, I'll just take up space and do my BICEP CURLS here :D

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes :mad: :yes: :lol:

So far the people I've bumped into there have been really nice, friendly and just into the training. Perfect!

Getting my trainer friend (assuming he has time) back on my case, and have a backup lined up (just in case) who I've already briefed on what I am looking for! :)

Also gonna line up some physio to try sorting my foot out. All in all, I'm buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing :)

I hopes thee feels better soon!
  • Options
    What's the problem with people doing curls in the racks? Why does it affect you?

As far as I'm concerned, unless there are people actually waiting to squat, then people can do whatever exercise they want in the racks if they are paying members.

Seems to be very fashionable to moan about it now though lol.

Anyways, my training is going well, getting a bit of mass back, except I'm in for surgery on my groin next month due to tearing something, probably an abductor muscle doing heavy squats, well only 110k but olympic style following by 160k deadlifts which just fucked me totally.

So going to be off training for a couple of weeks after surgery.

Also concentrating a lot of my time on my cardio at the moment, got an 8 mile cross country challenge to compete in December, right before my op lol.. great.
  • Options
    Because whenever I have waited to squat, it's always (and not an exaggeration) being used by a guy doing bicep curls. It affects me as I have to either do something else (which isn't too much of a headache) or wait a long time (which I'm not prepared to do.) What really gets me is that we have at least 3 other free standing bars that they can use for curls, all they have to do is set them up, pick them up the floor and go for it. I can't use those bars as I don't have the strength to lift them over my head, hence using a squat rack to set up and protect me. The Smith machine is out for squats, but I thought that's more common sense than anything else.
  • Options
    I've brought this thread back for a couple of reasons:

1. There are some people on the board that are looking for real hardcore advice, and also who are wanting to post their full on training details, which may not be much use to people who are just wanting to diet a bit etc.

2. It's a good place for people to vent about gym issues, new training tecniques etc etc I used to get a real buzz from reading and writing in this thread. That has gone, somewhat, and I want to get that back. I like giving advice, but I need to be able to bounce ideas and thoughs off people at the same level, or training with similar goals etc etc etc

A perfect example is Stitty, which I have brought over from the drugs forum:

Originally Posted by stitty415 View Post
    sorry my routine

3 times a week for heavy weights

monday: shoulders and legs

Wednesday: biceps and back

Friday: chest and triceps

i do my abs from monday to friday and do 3 exercises for 9 sets

Are you getting any compound lifts in there? Deadlift, squat etc? Can you give us a breakdown of what you're doing? Saying that, I'll post this in the gym rats thread. I think it's time to bring that one back to life as it's more focused than people losing weight.

When you say you work your abs Monday to Friday, what exactly do you mean? Also, 3 exercises/9 sets is almost nothing. There are so many variations of things you can do for your stomach that you're rare to do them all. Have you consulted a trainer about a programme for maximum hypertrophy?

I'd go with what others are saying - you need to be working at this way longer than you are before hitting the 'roids (if you really have to...). Personally it's not the way I would go. There are plenty of supplements in there that will see you make decent gains. Branch Chain Amino Acids are essential if you're looking to pack it on, combined with the protein.

Also, yes, I agree with Nash - you're carbs are not great in your diet.
  • Options
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I had a half decent session at the gym today - got right onto finishing off my legs (did squats yesterday along with calf raises, but I didn't feel anything in my calves today):

2 x 20 reps at 140kgs
    2 x 15 reps at 180kgs

:)

had a bit of an arm/shoulder workout too. Time was a bit of a squeeze as it always is at the moment, but I walked out of their suitably weak :D
  • Options
    Very apt to have a resurrection of this thread at Easter ;)

I'm keen to check out Afterburn training which I will be doing after... I've borrowed it from the g man :D

My body fat is around 17% at the moment. Ideally I'd like to get it down to around 15 - 16% by May, it'll probably be the latter, although my abdominal fat has been shifting quite a bit recently, most pleasing.

Still haven't ordered Gourmet Nutrition yet, I think it's going to be an early birthday present to myself, I'm dying to try out some of the recipies.

I think I need to bite the bullet and get a spotter for my bench press. I think I've been holding back from adding weight for some time, I need to make myself annoying and get one of the instructors to spot me, so I can pack the weight on sooner.
  • Options
    So on Friday night, bf's mate pops over for supper, and we get talking about what we're up to gym wise (he used to train professionally). He is adament that squatting below parallel will fuck up the knees big time, and A2G is absolutely out of the question.

I'm always a little dubious about 'researching' on the internet, but every single fitness website/blog/etc always say going below parallel is absolutely fine, provided form is correct, no existing problems etc. to the extend where me asking this question will result in replies like, "Are you fucking stupid?"

Granted, my friend squats with weights in excess of 160kg, and he said that the advice to him was when he was training in the late 80s/early 90s, so it could be outdated. But it has left me a little :confused: about it all. It's not like I'm squatting with really heavy weight, and I only go as low as I feel comfortable with (well, it's still quite low).

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Yeah squats are good :D I tend to do front squats more as I feel more comfortable that way than on the back, what sort of squats are you doing? I think I need to build up my glutes a little bit in order to feel more balanced then I'll be more confident about having the bar on my back.

This is from the weightloss thread and I hadn't answered your question so far so I decided to answer it in this thread. :)
    I'm doing front squats now and I was going to do a bit of weights then realised I wasn't squatting low enough so I went back to the basics. I'm now pretty confident about my form so I've thought about adding weight again.

However there's one obstacle in my gym as there's no free barbell, there's only the bench press bar and it weights a ton! I've thought about asking around if a barbell can be bought for the gym, it shouldn't be hard as we have the weights for the bench press so I'd have thought they only need to purchase the barbell. I can't decide whether to ask pre-qualifications or post-qualifications. ;)

As for the knee thing, it's something I've actually been thinking about myself. I'd love to figure out the truth, maybe asking a doctor would give some answers. I need to have a health check shortly maybe I should see if the doctor knows anything about maintaining good knees. I'd have to say that my knees and my back are the two things I worry about the most, although I am also starting to be a little concerned about the wellbeing of my shoulders.
  • Options
    Can't hurt to ask :D

On knees, I'm tempted to give Krista of Stumptuous an email, she's on facebook and I don't think she'd mind giving me links to the papers she has read.

I found this quite interesting in one of the facebook comms:
    The box squat is touted by many lifters as a great way to preserve the knees while still using challenging weights. The key is to push the hips back instead of breaking at the knee first. This allows the shin to remain vertical, placing much less shear stress on the knee. There are many good descriptions of the box squat at elitefts.com.

In addition, the reverse lunge will place a lot less stress on the knee joint than other traditional dynamic lunges, and offers all the same benefits.

Finally, when experiencing joint problems it is very important to address the needs of the joints above and below the "problem" area. In the case of the knee we should make sure the hips and IT band are mobile and pain free, and the same with the ankle joint. This will do a lot towards the health and stability of the knee, which is and should be stable (not hyper mobile).
  • Options
    Did I mention a fabulous websute on knees www.kneeguru.co.uk ?
  • Options
    So on Friday night, bf's mate pops over for supper, and we get talking about what we're up to gym wise (he used to train professionally). He is adament that squatting below parallel will fuck up the knees big time, and A2G is absolutely out of the question.

I'm always a little dubious about 'researching' on the internet, but every single fitness website/blog/etc always say going below parallel is absolutely fine, provided form is correct, no existing problems etc. to the extend where me asking this question will result in replies like, "Are you fucking stupid?"

Granted, my friend squats with weights in excess of 160kg, and he said that the advice to him was when he was training in the late 80s/early 90s, so it could be outdated. But it has left me a little :confused: about it all. It's not like I'm squatting with really heavy weight, and I only go as low as I feel comfortable with (well, it's still quite low).

Thoughts?

Really stacked at work today (and hungover to hell too... bugger) so will have to keep it brief, but both of my trainers (one who does sports rehab as a speciality) I've used over the past few years have really pushed for squats at varying depths and also varying angles of how far apart your knees are. I'll try to follow this up with more detail later on - but I don't see any problems as long as your form is reet.
  • Options
    Found a pretty good piece here. The guy is 70 and still rippppped :D

Was flicking through an old edition of bf's muscle and fitness mag, will be making this tonight. It sounds like more of a post-workout lunch type meal, but looks good all the same:

Steak 'n Pepper Bowl

1 medium red pepper
    75g rump steak
    garlic salt and pepper to taste
    300g brown rice
    1-2 tbsp steak sauce (I'll be using soy)
    1/2 tbsp chilli oil

Cooking process is pretty simple in terms of chopping, lightly frying etc so I don't think I need to write that all down.

60% carbs
    16% protein
    24% fat

:yum::yum::yum:
  • Options
    Hmm I don't know which thread to post in now!

I had my reprogram yesterday and so I started it today and it was definitely harder! Goes something like this:

10min cardio

Lat machine 3 x 15
    Chest press on bench with dumbells 3 x 20
    Triceps pushdown (pulley) 3 x 15
    Tricep dips 2 x 8
    Leg press 3 x 15 close then 3 x 15 wide
    Abductor 3 x 30
    Sit ups on Power plate 3 sets
    Side Plank on power plate 2 x each side

25-30 mins of cardio

I'm aching thats for sure! And doing my cardio after my weights made it much more knackering.
  • Options
    I'm toying with the idea of doing overhead squats. In the future, I'm not going to consider it until I've added at least 10kg to my squat and the last 2.5kgs on the deadlift which I've been a bit in denial about.

They look fun, but I can see myself losing my balance and losing the bar, so I think it'll be a case of trying it out with the mop in the living room (such a good look)

Crossfit London are having another Kettleball seminar. I'm sure I could do some of the exercises with a dumbbell, but a lot of them look cool so I might give it a shot (and hopefully I'll get in there before it sells out)
  • Options
    I found this blog of the guy who co-wrote the new rules of lifting. Male Pattern Fitness. It's a good read.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I'm feeling really poo.

My job is making it really hard for me to gym it up. I'm working 8am-6pm each day so going the gym before or after work is really hard as its really far away from where I work.

:banghead:

Can you change gyms?
  • Options
    I tried out the push press today, I quite liked it. Didn't add any weight to it as I wanted to get a feel of the movement (which may take a while!) so 20kg is enough for now. I liked the freedom of movement that you can't really get with the bench press lying down.
  • Options
    Ohh we do something like that in the sculpt and pump class at the gym, although I definatly don't have 20kg on there :blush:

I'm getting better with increasing my weights. Though after a week of not going the gym I went today and felt like all my hard work had gone :(
    Still got two weeks off now to practically live at the gym ;)
  • Options
    I promise all your strength doesn't disappear overnight. I've had times of illness/exams where I've taken a couple of weeks off, it takes me a couple of sessions to get back on track, but after that, it's fine :)
  • Options
    After seeing this I may have to rethink my training ;)