Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BigSquidge wrote: »

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale.html

click on a body part , and you should see Exercise lists.
    should give you some Ideas of what to do.

remember to have fun...

BigSquidge

That link is superb.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Now then BigSquidge. Good to have you on board! ;)

Need to go wakeboarding again sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon :D
    allright mate..
    good to be here..
    just been catching up on the thread.
    a) can't wait to go Wakeboarding again, when you can stand up.
    we'll play, maybe rent a boat for a half hour.
    b) can't wait to train with you and your mate, your gonna kill my FatAss.
    c) there was a C!!, damnit. must pay more Attention in Class...

Grinsss
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    After some advice. I bought a set of small weights, not too sure what to do with them other than the obvious tricep/bicep things. Can I use them to work other parts of me apart from my arms? I don't want to end up with toned arms and untoned rest of body. :)

orrrrrrrrrrrr

to be honest, you might Want to try a bodyweight Workout.

pressups - if your not Strong enough , start by kneeling so your knees are 90Degrees, and as you get get stronger straighten your knees so you learn more forward, putting more Weight on your arms/Chest..
    for triceps, pressup again, but keep your Elbows by your side.
    as a note try and keep your shoulders back and down towards the Centre of your Back, dont let your shoulders Raise up toward your ears or Cave forward.

for shoulders try a yoga position, downward Dog.
    keep your legs straight and try and touch the floor in Front of you..
    Walk you hands forward so you make ^ shape with your hips at 90Degrees,
    bend your elbows slightly and while keepin your legs straight, then try and get your face close to the Floor, then hold, and straighten your Arms, as you get stronger elevate your Legs, on a chair or Walk your Legs up a wall.
    if you can do a handstand against a Wall and dip and press , you'll have good strong shoulders. (I fall on my ugly mooi when I try this... but occasionally I still try it.)

Lunges or hill sprints, or find a good long set of steps, warm up by light jogging, then Sprint to the top of the steps (really get your Knees up when sprinting and think about using your Glutes, Hamstrings to drive your Leg backwards when your foot is on contact with the Ground) or about 30 Seconds. walk back to Start. repeat. this will give you good tight buns o steel and Great thighs and burn off loads of fat, it's not just the Calories burnt whilst doing the Exercise, but the Calories burnt when your body is busy building the Muscle afterwards, Explosive Sprinting makes the Body Keep the Muscle it has, whilst burning Fat..

If you do steady medium state cardio, the body wants to be Effecient, and will strip the muscle first, since it is heavy and inefficient to keep all that muscle if your doing medium rate of Exercise because at that level, you don't need the Extra muscle... and the Great thing about muscle, is that is burns Calories just sitting there. the more lean muscle you got. the more Calories you burn just sitting on the sofa.

Variety of situps, V situps, back arches, and twists, to keep the Core strong. for your back, do bent over rows.

don't try and over complicate your routines.
    keep your rest preiods just short enough to recover, but not too long
    that you can discuss TV last night. keep your heart rate up...

if you got some one who yo can train with, it's much more fun...

Grinss..

hope that's given you some more Ideas..

BigSquidge

:p
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    That link is superb.

there's loads of other Stuff on there. if you go to http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

there's loads of good links to otherStuph..

BigSquidges
  • Options
    BigSquidge: Thanks for the advice re: my arm. I don't think it was fractured at all, but never got the confirmation. I started lifting weights again a couple of weeks ago and never looked back, and now that I'm doing deadlifts, my strength is increasing by leaps and bounds :D

Found an article on skinny fat
  • Options
    Did a 15 minutes ab class with the lady notorious for cracking that whip ;) it was pretty good, I was the only person doing it so I got a lot of attention. After we had finished, I was telling her about my squats and deadlifts, and after a demonstration, she said I was tilting my pelvis too far back - so I'm putting the squats on hiatus for a bit (I'll still keep working on my form without weights) until my core is a lot stronger so my pelvis doesn't arch my back, if you get what I mean.

I tried it out again while really focusing on my core, and I felt so much more going on in my glutes and quads, which is what should have been happening.

I felt a little bit 'one step forward two steps back' but I suppose it's so much better to ensure this is all done properly rather than doing myself some damage in the long term, and she said once my core is better, I'll be able to handle a lot more weight with the deadlifts.

So for the next couple of months my core is going to step back into the light again, after I have been neglecting it.

Had a good upper body workout too.
  • Options
    good form Vs heavier Weights.

It's worth getting form right with lighter weights,

I find oce you get better form you start working harder with lighter Weights....
    getting the intensity right is more important than Lifting Numbers..

I'm only comeing back now after messing meself up.
    muscle imbalance and bad form can give you a proper Problem..

heavy weight looks good, but has more chance of hurting you.
    doing it right and keepign it right means you can keep doing it right...

if you know what I mean, bad form leads to injury, and that puts you back 100 yards, not 1 step.

then when you get to lifting heavier Weights with good form, you'll be working the muscles your Targetting not using other muscles as well, and you won't hurt yourself...

grinsss..

tralalalalalaalaaa..

I've damaged myself after this weeks partying, left hand is a bit knackered.
    cant grip anything since I've mangled my middle finger to ring finger, no grip.

so I'm right Pished off It's going to Fooq my Gym for the Next two weeks or so.

oh well, guess I'd better get on with cardio, legs, core and presses...

any pulls are impossible....
    I'm such a stupid Twat....
    remember kids don't stair surf, specially when Drunk... messes up any Gym intentions.. bah

BigSquidge
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Savage you got to miss out for a while. Can i ask what your stats are BigSquidge?
  • Options
    my stats..??

urrrr,
    ok,

I haven't benchmarked myself for a while and have had a couple setbacks recently so I can give you an idea but I don't think they are
    a good measure of where I am.

I am coming Down from beeing a real fat B'stard, 18stone @ 5'9, way over 30%Body Fat and that aint good.

now 15st 5lbs, about 20%BF, gone from 40 inch Waist to 36, would like to get into 34's but my thighs wont let me, I think my arms are about 16 inches.

been at a different Gym for the last 6 months, to the Gym previous which had better Equipment, and where I had a consistent set of months training without work changes or Injuries.

so I don't know if any of these would make sense in a stats sort of Way.

In November was benching 110k for 14reps @ failure.
    now doing dumbell presses and Flys, trying to stay away from Barbells Excet for DL and Squating.. (can only Do Squats in a smith machine (which I don't Like) because they havent got a Squat Rack...)

Was Deadlifting 160k, 3sets of 6.
    Squating 110K 3 sets of 8.

knackered my left knee in January Snowboardign so my deadlift/Squat
    is well down now but I'm still building it back up.

too much bench pressing and not enough rowing to balance out, left me with a shoulder injury in december, so been doing a lot of rehab and not too much size n Strength for the last couple of months.

currently doing circuts of Superseted Exercises, trying to fail at the
    20rep mark, i.e. bench press, lunge, row, fly's, lunge, do 4 circuita, trying to keep as little rest between each exercise...

I want to get my BodyFat down to 15% while keeping my shoulder/Arms Profile.

once there, I want to concentrate on Strength.

I just realised this Stats email went Rambling on all over the Place...
    sorry, but I don't think I have a set of cohesive Stats the last 6 months have been rehabilitation while maintaining muscle mass, and loosign Fat.

Sighs...It's hard beeing an old Fat knacker..
    but at least I'm fun...

Grins..
    BigSquidge.

oh. btw...
    What Are your stats ?
    What are your Goals ?
  • Options
    some good news.

Trained lunchtime

using a wrist Wrap on my left hand, I use them when Deadlifting Heavy...

transfers the weight to the Wrist rather than the Grip, and I can secure it using my ring finger and middle finger (ish), not good, but better than not training.

I can do lat pull downs and rows.....

yey !!!!!!!

happy Squidge....

I hate it when I damage meself stupidly... :banghead:
    but it was fun at the time...
    :yum:
  • Options
    fook Just reread my ramblings, I was Deadlifting 150k not 160k
    1.5 x bodyweigth, not that Great..

BigSquidge
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    urrrr,
    oh. btw...
    What Are your stats ?
    What are your Goals ?

My stats as they stand at the moment are 13.8 stone 11%BF. I posted in this thread a while back on my lifting stats.

Goals? Well my aim is to put on some real mass, so thats why my diet is so strict, very high calorie intake. As im getting my SIA Door Supervisor license soon I would like to be at least 14.7 stone, don't want to be stood on the door and be too scrawny.

Oh and well done from getting to 20%BF from 30, im sure you will reach 15% in know time.
  • Options
    urrrr,
    ok,

I haven't benchmarked myself for a while and have had a couple setbacks recently so I can give you an idea but I don't think they are
    a good measure of where I am.

I am coming Down from beeing a real fat B'stard, 18stone @ 5'9, way over 30%Body Fat and that aint good.

now 15st 5lbs, about 20%BF, gone from 40 inch Waist to 36, would like to get into 34's but my thighs wont let me, I think my arms are about 16 inches.

been at a different Gym for the last 6 months, to the Gym previous which had better Equipment, and where I had a consistent set of months training without work changes or Injuries.

so I don't know if any of these would make sense in a stats sort of Way.

In November was benching 110k for 14reps @ failure.
    now doing dumbell presses and Flys, trying to stay away from Barbells Excet for DL and Squating.. (can only Do Squats in a smith machine (which I don't Like) because they havent got a Squat Rack...)

Was Deadlifting 160k, 3sets of 6.
    Squating 110K 3 sets of 8.

knackered my left knee in January Snowboardign so my deadlift/Squat
    is well down now but I'm still building it back up.

too much bench pressing and not enough rowing to balance out, left me with a shoulder injury in december, so been doing a lot of rehab and not too much size n Strength for the last couple of months.

currently doing circuts of Superseted Exercises, trying to fail at the
    20rep mark, i.e. bench press, lunge, row, fly's, lunge, do 4 circuita, trying to keep as little rest between each exercise...

I want to get my BodyFat down to 15% while keeping my shoulder/Arms Profile.

once there, I want to concentrate on Strength.

I just realised this Stats email went Rambling on all over the Place...
    sorry, but I don't think I have a set of cohesive Stats the last 6 months have been rehabilitation while maintaining muscle mass, and loosign Fat.

Sighs...It's hard beeing an old Fat knacker..
    but at least I'm fun...

Grins..
    BigSquidge.

oh. btw...
    What Are your stats ?
    What are your Goals ?

Good party wasn't it?? :D:D:D I should've gone to sleep before driving Bristol-London then London-Leicester before starting the new job... Urgh.

I am *not* liking this no internet at work thing...
  • Options
    This is not a thread to discuss your social life!!! :grump:

:D

Hurry up and update! Decided to do a class today to work on my abdominal strength, oh the burrrrn. My deltoids are starting to take better shape too. Roll on Monday where my last exam will be done and I can concentrate on my fitness :D
  • Options
    hahahahaaa, yeah !! gary !!!!

well, another Effort into Training today, Tried something Different,
    since I cant hold anything heavy, I went for light weights on an adjustable
    height cable station, single Arm pulls and Presses,

low to high chest Press, superseted with reverse flys... low to high,
    swap position of Cable and do high to lows, keeping arm Straight as possible to get maximum leaverage... on the Chest/back, making sure I got good rotation at the end.

I finished off the circuit with Squats holding a plate...

end of the First circuit thought that was sweet so upped the Weight till I failed @ 20 reps with a weight I was comfortable with holding n my left hand, and kept going, surprised I got a good workout going...
    will keep that one in the back pocket till next Time I bugger myself....

now gotta figure Out what I'm going to do for Delts and deadlifts for tomorow...
    any Ideas ?

fun n Games...
    BigS

:thumb:
  • Options
    ack! We had a brilliant sunny monday here but the fool that I am managed to lock my back at the stables by picking up my saddle. Don't know what happened, but my back sure didn't agree with it.

I was quite stiff yesterday morning so I had to chill at the gym. Was confined to the treadmill just to get some proper movement through my back to loosen it up. It worked a treat, I'm much better today and after another round on the treadmill I braved pulldowns in one of the equipments at the gym before I ran out of time. My back is feeling mostly right now. :thumb:

Can't wait to do more serious stuff again. :lol: I tried squatting last Friday I think it was and I'll definitely do some more of it soon and see how goes.

I finally saw the gym at the place I'm planning to go to this summer and it's got loads more selection of equipment and looks good to me. :D My friend is also going to do some weights this summer so we're going to go together. That'll be great. She also promised we'd play squash sometimes, although I fear I will be battered quite bad as she's trying for the national squash team. :nervous:
  • Options
    Good stuff :D I need to work on my form a bit more before I start squatting properly again, so I've hit a little wall there :grump: but squatting is really good for you, it targets so many muscle groups!

Have any of you guys read Burn the Fat, Build the Muscle or the Leanness Lifestyle? I got most of my basics from Body for Life belonging to my boyfriend, but I feel I've reached the stage where I need to tweak things a little bit, i.e. raising the ante with the cardio and being more precise with my diet.
  • Options
    I'm not doing any sort of power squats mind! Just getting a feel for the exercise and seeing if it affects some muscles whilst making sure I do it right.

I had a good workout yesterday morning, it felt very thorough and I was well pleased with myself. Was a little iffy in my back but it didn't really disturb me, I just made sure I didn't do any exercises to provoke it.

I'll now have two training partners for this summer! :) Both at the same gym so I have no reason to stop attending when school lets out. :D I want to use this summer to get fitter. I'm already feeling much better about myself. I'm more proud of myself than I was -and I should be, I've worked really hard to create this new habit!

I still have only very vague goals though. It's nothing concrete and I can't really decide what exactly I want to achieve other than looking more streamlined. And a bit stronger I guess. ;) I've always been such a wuss, haha.
  • Options
    Just getting a feel for the exercise and seeing if it affects some muscles whilst making sure I do it right.

That's the best way to go about it :yes: Good to hear you have some buddies to keep you in line :D

I never really had clear cut goals to start with. All I wanted to go was get rid of my Heathrow Strip (extra runway ;) ) and now that's gone, I'm focusing on strength and progression. Always nice to look back on my stats - some weights are 5x heavier than what I started with.

I'm going to the running shop tomorrow to get possibly 2 pairs of running shoes. My friends all went in together and got me £150 worth of vouchers :heart:
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    That's the best way to go about it :yes: Good to hear you have some buddies to keep you in line :D

I never really had clear cut goals to start with. All I wanted to go was get rid of my Heathrow Strip (extra runway ;) ) and now that's gone, I'm focusing on strength and progression. Always nice to look back on my stats - some weights are 5x heavier than what I started with.

I'm going to the running shop tomorrow to get possibly 2 pairs of running shoes. My friends all went in together and got me £150 worth of vouchers :heart:

I haven't been in a while now... I've found a gym to go with and got some training buddies but we were all too foooked after a conference today so are going tomorrow. Turns out the gym 2 minutes from the office is a Fitness First... For Women! Honestly - you know how irritated I was when I saw that? Bah. :grump:

I feel weak....... Seriously. I finally weighed myself and I appear to have lost half a stone. :crying: Sure, I was hungover and it was after a heavy session, but I was shocked. I even *look* smaller :(

Living in a B&B (only until next week!) is not helping as you HAVE to eat out on an evening, and it's a pain in the arse trying to be healthy. I have a new apartment in Leicester I can move into next Tuesday and so that will sort me right out as it's one minute from the office :)

I will utterly CANE the gym this week and murder the protein + aminos to get me back on track GROWOOROEOWORRWWRWWWRRR
  • Options
    I will utterly CANE the gym this week and murder the protein + aminos to get me back on track GROWOOROEOWORRWWRWWWRRR

Huzzah! :D Saw quite a good recipie for protein pancakes, I'll post it up when I find it...

Had quite a good upper body workout. My deltoids are taking more weight without failing. Biceps are going well.

Some of the guys at the gym today, blimey! :grump: A group of three of them. If they weren't yabbering away on their phones [mobiles are banned in the gym] they were leaving dumbbells out all over the floor without putting them back [also against the rules] and just sitting around on the equiptment chatting away with each other; doing about 30 seconds of weights too heavy for them, so their buddy took half of the weight, and 5 minutes of chat [it should be against the rules] raaaaaaaaaaarrrr :grump:

Finished today off with 20 minutes of HIIT. That really took it out of me, really felt it afterwards.

Tomorrow I have an abs class, then will be doing some more HIIT.
  • Options
    Huzzah! :D Saw quite a good recipie for protein pancakes, I'll post it up when I find it...

Had quite a good upper body workout. My deltoids are taking more weight without failing. Biceps are going well.

Some of the guys at the gym today, blimey! :grump: A group of three of them. If they weren't yabbering away on their phones [mobiles are banned in the gym] they were leaving dumbbells out all over the floor without putting them back [also against the rules] and just sitting around on the equiptment chatting away with each other; doing about 30 seconds of weights too heavy for them, so their buddy took half of the weight, and 5 minutes of chat [it should be against the rules] raaaaaaaaaaarrrr

Finished today off with 20 minutes of HIIT. That really took it out of me, really felt it afterwards.

Tomorrow I have an abs class, then will be doing some more HIIT.

That really REALLY annoys me.

Guess what - I'M BAAAAACK!! :D :mad: :D :wave:

Oh yes, I had a wicked session tonight, including taking 2 minutes out to give some young lads some advice - there's not enough of that going on at all these days. There were four of them, all of which looked like they didn't have a clue so I was keeping an eye on them so they didn't do themselves a damage.

The smallest of these lads couldn't bench the bar(20kgs) + approx 7.5 kgs of weights, and he refused to try it with the weights removed. Too much pride - trying to be the hero. I just popped over and let them know that the bar weighs 20kgs on it's own, and that after 3 sets of 12, he'd be feeling it. In the end, two of the other lads were pressing just the bar as they found it too hard with weights but didn't want to look like 'wimps' in front of their mates. :yeees:

I also helped them out with their form, and also the speed at which they were lifting (no control - just 'blasting' them out), getting them to count for 3-4 seconds on the way down. They soon found just the bar a good challenge. They seemed pretty encouraged when I told them chances are they'll be adding 5-10kgs of weights in a matter of 2-3 weeks if they worked at it
    consistently :) I felt pretty good for helping them out.

It just felt good to be back there, and great to feel the pump again! GRRR! :D As it had been a bit since my last workout, I had to lower some of my weights to start with, but it was ok. Also, some HIIT as a warm up next to a rather hot young lady (It's a Uni gym heh heh) was good ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, we get a lot of that at my gym, it's sometimes quite painful watching the struggle... Because the summer is coming up we have a lot of newbies, so I still get a 'Why isn't that woman lifting pastel coloured pencils instead of freeweights' look :D

Saw a woman on the tube yesterday with the most amazing deltoids, I almost wanted to ask her what her workout was!

Good to hear you're back in the gym (if only to perve at the hot women) :D
  • Options
    Good to hear you're back in the gym (if only to perve at the hot women) :D

;):naughty:
  • Options
    Had my core stability class today which was ok. Going to work on my balance with some exercises I learned today, and hopefully that'll help with my squat form.

Did 20 minutes of HIIT after that. Oh. the. pain. Felt better after a deliciously cool shower.

Here is the link to the pancake recipie I saw :yum:
  • Options
    Oooooooo - could be tasty. I like the tag-line of that website :)

Feeling slightly ropey at the moment. Just debating if I can be doing the gym tonight...
  • Options
    Did you go to the gym in the end?

Did some deadlifting today, felt good. Decided not to squat until my form has been perfected at home. Did a little work on the leg press. On the seated leg curl, my leg didn't fit underneath the guage thing like it normally does. I doubt I've gained that much muscle (but I can dream ;) ) maybe I swelled quite a bit from the other exercise? I put the lever to the next tightest level but it was too loose.

Did a little ab work, then headed off to work. All the staff members commented that I look much slimmer. :D

Tomorrow will be some HIIT, and then some optional exercise in the form of clubbing :D I was going to do a class, but the best one there had the word 'Tone' in the title, I was instantly suspicious ;)
  • Options
    Personally I would blow off the leg press and any other machines. Just squat.

Well done for doing dead lifts though they are a great mass builder!

I'm going to train later on, still same protocol as the last 4 months, train but avoid lower body and rows so my groin injury doesn't get aggravated.. I'm starting to look like jonny bravo :(

JohnnyBravo.jpg
  • Options
    I was only squatting and deadlifting for my lower body up until recently when I noticed that my form was a little off. The only way I can describe it is like a butt wink, but in reverse, so my lower back sticks out rather than going down in the squat. After getting some advice, I have started again by practising on a basketball where I squat down onto it, and I've noticed it more in my legs.

I thought I'd stick with a couple of isolation exercises for the hell of it, but I can't wait to get back to squatting. My legs are solid :D

That injury sounds painful, how long until you can start working that part of the body again?
  • Options
    Had a rather good upper body workout :D

Tricep dips were quite a challenge but soooo worth it. The feeling of stretching my triceps after I was done was so nice :D

Only downside was the Sacred Penis Area ;) , sorry, Freeweights area was packed with some non-regular guys who were all bustling after equiptment, not putting things back and putting the dumbells in the wrong order. 8kgs can now be found between the 18kg and 20kg weights. :yes: What's more, a dude saw me setting up my stuff at the bench and he tried to take my place anyway! :grump: That aside, I did some good work despite feeling a bit weak after going clubbing for 2 nights in a row.