Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    xsazx wrote: »
    gyms really need seating in their studios it's driving me absolutely mental that people just use all the weight machines to sit and have a 20min break while fiddling on ipods/phones when you're clearly waiting to use the equipment (saying that I've got dad onto purchasing seating for them so hopefully will get rid of em soon)

No - people just need to learn some manners and gym etiquette.
  • Options
    No shit but at least it's catching on.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    After seeing this I may have to rethink my training ;)

aw it took me a minute or 2 to catch on!
    She had a really big stomach though! Is that because she has fat aswell as muscle? Coz it looked quite solid. Also she had quite big muscles between her neck and shoulders, which are not nice at all!

On a side note I was thinking of maybe doing a yoga class. I've never considered it before because I thought it was a waste of time but I guess it would be beneficial alongisde training?

I haven't been to the gym since last thursday because it was birthday weekend then I've been ill with gastroentiritis :( And tomorrow I'm going to the lakes so I won't get to the gym til Monday now. But I'm planning on doing sport whilst I'm away.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    No - people just need to learn some manners and gym etiquette.

This is so true!

Sometimes the gym staff are worse. They will take up equiptment just to sit and chat to someone it does my head in! Also I hate when people can clearly see you are are using like a weight machine YET they still stand there for the next 10 minutes waiting and giving you evils till you have finished!! It annoys the hell out of me. If I see someone is on something I want to use then I will use something else till they have finished. Some of the big beefy blokes are the worse they can be quite intimidating too :(

And another thing, why do people take magazines into the gym?! If you are going to read stay at home!

*Breaths* Rant over :yes:
  • Options
    She had a really big stomach though! Is that because she has fat aswell as muscle? Coz it looked quite solid. Also she had quite big muscles between her neck and shoulders, which are not nice at all!

It looked like fat, although given that she lifts really heavy, I'd imagine she'd be eating to match that, so her calories going in are far more than the ones going out, probably made more prominent given that she was doing the hoopla, I know my stomach tends to stick out a bit when doing things like that. That set of muscles did look quite big in that shot, but I'm more inclined to think it was her posture as it didn't really seem as prominent in other parts.

Give yoga a go, I find it quite relaxing. To get to the stage where it can be really effective in terms of resistance, you'd have to get to quite an advanced level, but I found it helped my flexibility.

Don't get me started on gym manners :lol: but please please please don't let the free weights room (or half of the monkeys in it) intimidate you. Seriously, I can count on one hand the guys at my gym who really know what they're doing. I've seen guys do things with shitty form, or be too 'proud' to use a lower weight and do the exercise properly. Most of the guys who use the free weights area in my gym either do bicep curls or the bench press and that's all (including my flatmate, I've bullied him into learning the squat :D )
  • Options
  • Options
    Nothing matched my search :grump:

The more I think about it, the more I want to do that long Crossfit seminar, but it doesn't look like they're currently doing the Workout on Sunday that they used to do..? :chin:
  • Options
    Nothing matched my search :grump:

The more I think about it, the more I want to do that long Crossfit seminar, but it doesn't look like they're currently doing the Workout on Sunday that they used to do..? :chin:

I am really wanting to get to those too.

Nothing matched your search? BAH! :grump: I am extremely curious as to what you search parameters were...! I had 14 results for one, and 50 for another. Some look to be pretty good, others not quite what I am looking for. Gonna give some of them a go.
  • Options
    They were very specific :p I'm going to have a play around as I want something new to try when I switch back to full body workouts.
  • Options
    Hahahaha - so you messed around with the bottom two settings, trying to be all clever, huh? :lol:;):D
  • Options
    I did not! :D I think I put the number of exercises and sets etc on too low a number
  • Options
    I did not! :D I think I put the number of exercises and sets etc on too low a number

Well :razz: to you then! ;):D
  • Options
    What's the best way to improve your grip?

I want to add weight on to my dead lifts but I'm finding that before I finish my reps I'm starting to lose my grip.
  • Options
    Just keep lifting heavy bars, do pull ups etc. I had the same issue. I fixed it by doing exactly that :)

If you google, there are articles on it too.
  • Options
    I'm going insane! They're doing renovations at the work gym so it's been closed from 3rd April until the 15th!

I'll probably need to start from scratch on my journey towards pull ups. ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I'm going insane! They're doing renovations at the work gym so it's been closed from 3rd April until the 15th!

I'll probably need to start from scratch on my journey towards pull ups. ;)

The same at my gym..it's been closed all week and doesn't ope till saturday :crying: I feel lost!

Though hopefully will be going to my friends gym tonight..if she doesn't bail again on me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I went to the gym last night and there was still no chance of me getting on a bench now it's moved down to the other room where all the bodybuilders - bit annoying coz they have enough benches down there as it is! Anyway I asked a trainer for some new exercises. Turns out he was one of the trainers that people pay for, rather than the type of generic trainer that we get for free as part of our membership. He analysed the program that I have been given as well as giving me new exercises. I now do the chest press with dumbbells on a ball, which is fine. I also have to use a powerstation where you go up some steps and then push up and down on this bar to work the triceps.

I asked him about the leg press and he finished my sentence about how squats are better so I will be doing them from now on with a medicine ball.

Also I asked about the powerplate because I had a feeling they were just a fad and he agreed and said I'd be better doing my crunches using some weights although I can keep the side plank on there. To be fair to the powerplate, I can totally feel it on my abs as soon as I start doing the situps on there so it is working in that way but I think its crap for squats etc.