Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dancers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
How on this site dances? Ballerina is an obvious one but there must be others. What dance do you do? I'm a bgirl who'll be startin up tap again next week woohoo...

ETA I want babies with Savion Glover! schuwing!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    oh congrats. I"ve always wanted to. I did ballet (pointe included) and jazz unti lI was 16, on and off. I've always dreamed of being good :(
  • Options
    I will be starting ballet too but.. embarrassing foot prob is holding me back. shh
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I will be starting ballet too but.. embarrassing foot prob is holding me back. shh

i promise i wont tell ;)
  • Options
    That's good coz... neither will I! lol
  • Options
    I do a lot of street and ballet, have done since I was about 11 or 12. I also do Capoeira, which is technically a martial art but it's quite a lot like dance.

Love it - it's so much more fun than puffing along on a treadmill for hours.....
  • Options
    where are you flutterby? in bristol? Who do you do street dance with there?
  • Options
    In all i do ballet/pointe, tap, freestyle and jazz
  • Options
    How do you find the time to do all that Ballerina? and still do well in school! Bloomin miracle. My daughter does ballet and modern and she's just started tap- hooray! I tried her on the tap last year but she cried. And then she got really jealous of the tappers because they have really cute outfits so I tried her abain on friday and she liked it! Not a pushy mom but I can't wait to get practicing together, we could do little mom daughter routines- so cool! She comes to breakin sometimes but I'm usually the only girl training with loadsa big sweaty blokes so she hides in the corner and draws, occasionally doing a headstand or something but, ultimately she's too shy. Tap is where it's at. Ooh Ballerina- I'm buying tap shoes for my class, I'm sure they'll give me advice in the shop but should I be buying flats or the ones with little heels?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    How do you find the time to do all that Ballerina? and still do well in school! Bloomin miracle. My daughter does ballet and modern and she's just started tap- hooray! I tried her on the tap last year but she cried. And then she got really jealous of the tappers because they have really cute outfits so I tried her abain on friday and she liked it! Not a pushy mom but I can't wait to get practicing together, we could do little mom daughter routines- so cool! She comes to breakin sometimes but I'm usually the only girl training with loadsa big sweaty blokes so she hides in the corner and draws, occasionally doing a headstand or something but, ultimately she's too shy. Tap is where it's at. Ooh Ballerina- I'm buying tap shoes for my class, I'm sure they'll give me advice in the shop but should I be buying flats or the ones with little heels?
    i go on friday nights for jazz and saturday afternoons for the rest. I could go tuesdays and wednesdays too but i don't have the money.
    Well first tap shoes for young girls only have minute heels on them so they're almost flat. I'm not sure if you still have to screw the taps on like i had to though. They should tell you all about it. And make sure she wears socks with them because they can rub. They're expensive too so be warned! :)
  • Options
    I did ballet for 12, and jazz and tap for 10 years but alas, no more. A lot to do with moving away for Uni and not having a routine enough schedule to keep them all up.

When I move back to Newcastle I'll definitely take up tap again, it was always my favourite. :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I haven't danced properly but I've wanted to my thing is street, freestyle and even disco heh.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i used to ballet and then modern, but always wanted to do tap! but no get up and go to carry it on now :( will pick it back up one day
  • Options
    I used to do ballet. Good toes, naughty toes and all that jazz.
  • Options
    i think tap is quite boring till you to the more advanced stuff, then its ace....unless theres a particular move you just CAN'T do no matter how much you try.....like wings. Damn things.
    Best bit about ballet is going onto pointe!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Rachael wrote:
    Good toes, naughty toes
    oh yes! id forgotten about that! i used to practice for hours at home..i had the best 'good toes'! now thats an acheivement!
  • Options
    i remember doing that, and the teacher coming round and gently pushing down our feet. I have killer arches now :D
  • Options
    Humph, i got booted out of my ballet class when i was about 8 ;) Teacher didn't appreciate my forward rolls and stuff during a show. I was a complete tomboy and couldn't understand why i wasn't allowed to roll around instead of dancing round. Got told off all the time in ballroom dancing as well, didn't like having to dance with sweaty little boys (i was only little okay).

Nowadays i've taken up salsa, quite enjoy it but i'm not too great at it :)
  • Options
    I did ballet, and something they called character dancing.... it was like a mix of ballet and tap (so we decided anyway) but I kept that up til year 8....
  • Options
    Cool! There's a whole gang of thesite dancers! We should make up e-routines, yay! I had my first (since I was little) ballet lesson this eve, it was great only... I nearly fell over. Ah well, I'm sure I'll get better. Can't wait til tap. tip tap tap ta tap tap
  • Options
    When I said I hadn't danced properly I mean in shows and stuff :lol:
  • Options
    Ah well, I've done a shed load of shows/competitions/teaching just ne'er been formally trained- we learnt on car parks for the most part, and then in freeby comunity halls and woohoo, the guys I now train with hire out a room in a gym. I don't think it matters how many grades you've done or how many shows etc. all that matters is that you move ya body init. I'll start the routine off then thesite edancers:

Standing, feet shoulder width apart
    (1)turn to right shoulder 180 on left foot
    (&)step right foot in front of left
    (2)drop to crouching bringing left foot level with right, hands on thighs for balance
    (&)left hand on floor behind left buttock
    (3)weight on left hand kick legs out in front and open, hips in line, right arm goes into air for balance
    (&)bring legs back under bum to crouch
    (4)jump up with right foot in front of left
  • Options
    Standing, feet shoulder width apart
    (1)turn to right shoulder 180 on left foot
    (&)step right foot in front of left
    (2)drop to crouching bringing left foot level with right, hands on thighs for balance
    (&)left hand on floor behind left buttock
    (3)weight on left hand kick legs out in front and open, hips in line, right arm goes into air for balance
    (&)bring legs back under bum to crouch
    (4)jump up with right foot in front of left

Just tried this and the parents thought i was having a fit or something :chin: I'll just stick to drunken disco dancing :thumb:
  • Options
    i did ballet, contempoary and freestyle dance for a while. I miss it.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    Just tried this and the parents thought i was having a fit or something :chin: I'll just stick to drunken disco dancing :thumb:

RAFLMAO I cry- manda style. My choreography didn't start a mile long thread of frenzied collaberative sweatyness.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    i did ballet, contempoary and freestyle dance for a while. I miss it.

Can you not go back to it?
  • Options
    i used to balet, tap, modern and jaz

i was never really any good at anything other than tap. i still wish i could do it now.

i left whne my mum was in hospital when i was about 15 because i had to move to my grandmas, when i stopped dancing all my joints especially my knees got even worse when i stopped dancing for a while and was told by the docs that it was best not to start again as its a degenirative disease and it could make it worse.

i used to love tap, i was on the back row in everything else in the shows but always got the lead in tap :)
  • Options
    I used to. I did ballet (from 3 years old until I was 18) including pointe which I loved, modern, tap, acro.

When I started university I did a term of Jazz. Also I did an 8 week course in Turkish & Egyptian Belly dancing. And I taught a bit of dancing on my GAP year.

Ballet was the best though, being on pointe felt amazing, like I was flying or something.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Ballet was the best though, being on pointe felt amazing, like I was flying or something.
    :yes: pointes the best bit about ballet, its hard to hold yourself back from doing stuff you can't do like pirouettes because it feels so good! ooh the agony of when you first start though! my toes were in shreds after 10 minutes of just 10 minutes warm ups and basics!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yes: pointes the best bit about ballet, its hard to hold yourself back from doing stuff you can't do like pirouettes because it feels so good! ooh the agony of when you first start though! my toes were in shreds after 10 minutes of just 10 minutes warm ups and basics!
    I think (from the physics geek point of view) that it is the change in your centre of gravity that makes it feel good.

My feet weren't that bad (they are hardcore feet lol) but I did used to soak them in salt water after class to prevent infections. Also surgical spirit on the tips of your toes can help.

I wish I was still on pointe. I did it for 5 years, got to be really good, did a gap year with no ballet and then when I tried to do it again it was like starting all over... all those muscles I spent so long developing for doing pointe ballet had dissappeared.

It's hard to do ballet for fun as you get older though- all the classes around me are either complete beginners or wannabe-pro, there is nothing in between.

How long have you been doing it?