Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bloody hell is this thread still going on?! Must be one of my longest running threads yet! :yes:
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    If you go a little bit further out from Wrexham you have "Welsh speaking pubs" which are only Welsh speaking when somebody comes in and orders a pint in English. I know a lot of English people who have experienced this in Wales and it is sad because it's a beautiful country and the Welsh look after you if they decide you're one of them. Different areas also have different attitudes and you can't generalise, there are a lot of wonderful Welsh people out there...

That really is such a painful lie, perpetuated by myth, borne of misunderstanding.

It only works on the presumption that the regulars were speaking English before you entered. Wherein most cases, they would have been speaking Welsh - and it only seems as though they switched languages.

I don't believe your link shows any particularly Anti-English sentiment. It's a group of residents who object to having waste left in their area. It's completely understandable.

And finally, I have never, and I mean that with all conviction possible, never seen anyone act maliciously racist in my area ever - And I condemn whichever town you refer to for being so maladjusted.
    Do you mind me asking where in Wales you are from?

I have heard it off at least four people, mainly in the northern areas of Wales (the "Welsh speaking pubs" I mean) and to be fair, I don't really think you could mistake Welsh for English, nor could I even imagine why they'd make this up. I have had a lot of anti-English racism hurled at me, I have seen a worrying amount of racism in Wales and I'm sure that Wrexham is not unique in that respect. The Big Issue has printed a fair few articles (I'm not sure if they're online) about growing racism in Wales.
  • Options
    I'm from North West Wales. A "Plaid" county - Gwynedd. I've been at my local Pub numerous times over the Summer whilst English people were visiting.

I can tell you by first-hand experience that the whole idea is a myth.

I speak Welsh with those who speak Welsh with me. Before, during and after any English visitors are in the bar.

In addition, I would resent being called "Racist" for excercising my right to speak Welsh. It would seem that I'm branded Anti-English just for not sucking up to my Eastern neighbors.

It stems from the idea of a lot of people have (Even on here) that Wales is just an extension of England. If you think that, then our demeanor may seem racist and uncaleld for. If you respect the fact that we are not synonymous with England, then you begin to realize that we're either being playful or are concerned about our Welsh communities.

The same in England would apply with 'Americanization'. Newspapers worry about the glut of American influences coming into what used to be traditionally English areas. And yet they are not branded racist.

It's the same wherever you go. You go to Germany and you'll have people who smile and banter with you in English. On the other hand you could also encounter sour-faced individuals who refuse to acknowledge your presence.

And it even happens in England! Albeit, with only the one language. You'll meet some people who chat and laugh with you and others who just scowl at you.

It's the people who vary, not the collective sentiments of an entire Country.
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    It's the people who vary,

Yep, ALL people do

THR0 wrote:
    not the collective sentiments of an entire Country.

:shocking: :crazyeyes

Here comes Tyler !
  • Options
    Nuke Ohio!
  • Options
    Wouldn't that take out most of the North East with it? Or would it be carefully mesaured to take out exactly and only Ohio?

You are a one man gung-ho machine sir!!
  • Options
    I just hate dairy farmers.
  • Options
    Don't let Iowa hear you say that!! :eek:

:nervous:
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    I'm from North West Wales. A "Plaid" county - Gwynedd. I've been at my local Pub numerous times over the Summer whilst English people were visiting.

I can tell you by first-hand experience that the whole idea is a myth.

I speak Welsh with those who speak Welsh with me. Before, during and after any English visitors are in the bar.
    It's not a myth it HAS happened to people I know.
    In addition, I would resent being called "Racist" for excercising my right to speak Welsh. It would seem that I'm branded Anti-English just for not sucking up to my Eastern neighbors.
    Who called you a racist for speaking Welsh? The racism I was talking about is kicking in the Polish food shop, or gangs of youths intimidating an Albanian family, race riots, the BNP and the use of words against the English and anybody who isn't white and Welsh and queer that are best left to the imagination.
    It stems from the idea of a lot of people have (Even on here) that Wales is just an extension of England. If you think that, then our demeanor may seem racist and uncaleld for. If you respect the fact that we are not synonymous with England, then you begin to realize that we're either being playful or are concerned about our Welsh communities.
    No... I have experienced real racism in Wales and xenophobia... A lot of people have. People have the right to an identity, to a language and a country, but there's a difference between 'playful banter' and the riot police having to be on standby during a football match when England play Wales (and being sworn at for not sounding Welsh enough behind the bar).
    The same in England would apply with 'Americanization'. Newspapers worry about the glut of American influences coming into what used to be traditionally English areas. And yet they are not branded racist.
    Do the newspapers say that?

A lot of what you are saying is true... You can't tar every person with the same brush and maybe you live in a nicer area than I did... But you can't deny it happens and you can't deny anti-English sentiments amongst a huge majority of people. Parts of Scotland, Cornwall and Ireland are likely to be like that too, as well as rural areas of England being cliquey and hating outsiders.
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    In addition, I would resent being called "Racist"

i resent being fucking called a disease that must be erradicated.
    english money keeps wales alive.
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    we are not synonymous with England

give it a century or so
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    It's not a myth it HAS happened to people I know.

Who called you a racist for speaking Welsh? The racism I was talking about is kicking in the Polish food shop, or gangs of youths intimidating an Albanian family, race riots, the BNP and the use of words against the English and anybody who isn't white and Welsh and queer that are best left to the imagination.

No... I have experienced real racism in Wales and xenophobia... A lot of people have. People have the right to an identity, to a language and a country, but there's a difference between 'playful banter' and the riot police having to be on standby during a football match when England play Wales (and being sworn at for not sounding Welsh enough behind the bar).

Do the newspapers say that?

A lot of what you are saying is true... You can't tar every person with the same brush and maybe you live in a nicer area than I did... But you can't deny it happens and you can't deny anti-English sentiments amongst a huge majority of people. Parts of Scotland, Cornwall and Ireland are likely to be like that too, as well as rural areas of England being cliquey and hating outsiders.

Im sorry, im an australian living in wales, and the welsh have always been fine with me, ive never had any trouble with any of them, and all of them have welcomed me into their culture with open arms and i get along with them fine.

The first time i went to england, an english guy overheard my accent and asked me where i was from, so i told him, and he told me how much of a cunt I was and how much better I thought i was than him, which was followed by something about the ashes and then he storms off. I go into a pub in lancashire a few days later, and a group of guys come up to me and start with the racist insults, calling me an arrogant inbred cunt of an australian and even start provoking physical violence. A few months later im out in cardiff with all my welsh friends, and this guy comes up to me in the student union and says, " I fucking hate the welsh they should all be thrown in the sea and should drown".

I took only mild heed to the racial factor from these events,but what i did realise that these people were adolescants. So i think that the majority ( not all) but the majority of english male adolescants are quite rascist and in general are pricks when it comes to being a good sport, i have had other instances with the english constantly trying to assualt and get off with my girlfriend, and its only ever happened to her with english male adolescants.

Its not only the welsh that hate the english, its a good portion of the world today that hates the english, only because of the poor attitude alot of them hold. But in saying that, there are some dead on english people, its a shame all of them cant be that great.
  • Options
    Wow, you unearth a year old thread just to insult the English. You must really have a chip on your shoulder.
  • Options
    rydam wrote: »
    I go into a pub in lancashire a few days later.

First mistake. I'm English and wouldn't go into a pub in Lancashire :p
  • Options
    I'm going to state the bleeding obvious here but not all English people hate Australians. I for one love Kylie and Neighbours oh and Pricilla Queen of the Desert too :D
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I'm going to state the bleeding obvious here but not all English people hate Australians. I for one love Kylie and Neighbours oh and Pricilla Queen of the Desert too :D

And we would love to have Kangroo's skipping around our backgardens :D
  • Options
    thats ok, i only hate you if your english and your racist, if you english and not rascist then im fine with you and you are a great person.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    And we would love to have Kangroo's skipping around our backgardens :D
    Definitely :D but I'm not sure the dangeous spiders they have there :no:
  • Options
    I wouldn't even say the majority of English people are racist. There are some racist people just as their are some racist folk in Oz.

Perhaps if you travel around the country more you will find the majority of English people very tolerant and welcoming to not just Australians (our criminals descendants :p **Joke** ) but to all races. I for one really like Australian people, your very friendly and share a similar sense of humor to the English.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I wouldn't even say the majority of English people are racist. There are some racist people just as their are some racist folk in Oz.

I just love the irony of resurrecting a thread to say how "the majority" of English people are racist. Sounds pretty damn racist in itself to me.
  • Options
    thats ok, i only hate you if your english and your racist, if you english and not rascist then im fine with you and you are a great person.

What if you're not English and you're racist? Or is your hatred reserved for English racists? :lol: Fucking hell you're hypocritical.
  • Options
    what about all the other racists? or are english the worst ones? :rolleyes:
    tbh we live in a massive multi cultural society so we're probably less likely to be racist than countries that aren't so culturally diverse.
    It's a bit stupid to base your assumptions on a few experiences and in a way you're being pretty racist yourself.
  • Options
    I just love the irony of resurrecting a thread to say how "the majority" of English people are racist. Sounds pretty damn racist in itself to me.

Yeah! The bunch of sheep shearers :p
  • Options
    Yeah! The bunch of sheep shearers :p

Are we on about the Welsh now, or the Aussies? :p
  • Options

I've never heard anybody English say they hate Aussies.

I have heard people say how racist Aussies are though.

Are you a racist Aussie who hates Aboriginies?
  • Options
    Are we on about the Welsh now, or the Aussies? :p

Aussies. The welsh are slightly different ;)
This discussion has been closed.