Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sprocket wrote:
    its not suprising lots of people hate the english with their superior attitude of "your not from england, your must be completely inferior to us"
    To be fair the Welsh have that attitude too, only reversed.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I think the way people feel about each other is clearly demonstrated at sporting events. The English will generally support the Scotts or Welsh after their own team, but in my experience it doesn't work the other way - they love to see us lose.
    I think that's sad.

Oh come on you have to admit it gave everyone else a laugh when the so called "best rugby team in the world" came 4th in the six nations. Hmmm where did all those England rugby fans from the world cup though. :chin:

Why should we support you anyway?
  • Options
    Whoops double post.

And I don't think what Moonrat says is true. Plenty of different peoples mixing in Cardiff.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote:
    Oh come on you have to admit it gave everyone else a laugh when the so called "best rugby team in the world" came 4th in the six nations.

But taking that much pleasure in seeing another team lose just seems a bit sad to me - especially when you really have a credible reason for it.
    Renzo wrote:
    Hmmm where did all those England rugby fans from the world cup though. :chin:

I never really understand this argument. Just because someone isn't a regular fan doesn't mean they can't get behind their country.
    I'm not usually an athletics fan but why should that prevent me from taking an intest, talking about, and celebrating British athletes during the Olympics?
    Renzo wrote:
    Why should we support you anyway?

Why would you actively support any country that's playing against us?

Although I'm English first the fact that I'm also British means something to me.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    And I don't think what Moonrat says is true. Plenty of different peoples mixing in Cardiff.
    Saying Cardiff is representative of Wales is like saying London is representative of England.

Sprocket, why are you taking one moron's comments on this post to be indicative of all the other 'english' on this board?
  • Options
    TBH who cares what the Welsh think. England is the only place that matters in the UK anyway.
    its arrogance like that that makes us so hated by just about everyone
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    its arrogance like that that makes us so hated by just about everyone

Rubbish.

You get arrogant people wherever.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I honestly had more respect for the Welsh untill they treated me like crap. If you want respect you've got to give respect.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Whoops double post.

I'm talking more about North Wales though
  • Options
    Well I have to hold my hands up and say I've never been in North Wales so can't really comment. Perhaps it's just the whole local community thing though you could find anywhere? People around here don't seem to much like 'outsiders'
  • Options
    It's kinda like that in a lot of smaller communities in North Wales... The only real trouble is the football though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Do you really hate Cornwall? I love the place myself. Then again I only go there for the odd holiday and perhaps if I was living there permanently my perspective would change.

Yes, it's awful. Tbh, I'm not sure why its so popular - all the tourist attractions are centred around either mining, smuggling or pasties. The beaches are disgusting, the moors are grey and not at all picturesque - they purely consist of gorse bushes, lumps of granite and sheep intestines. Arghghhhh.
  • Options
    I've been to north wales before but I was with an army training thing (kind of for kids, if you know what i mean) and all the welsh people I met were friendly as f*ck. That was in north wales too - but I think maybe because a lot of the locals knew soldiers from the barracks that they'd built up a good relationship.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Yes, it's awful. Tbh, I'm not sure why its so popular - all the tourist attractions are centred around either mining, smuggling or pasties. The beaches are disgusting, the moors are grey and not at all picturesque - they purely consist of gorse bushes, lumps of granite and sheep intestines. Arghghhhh.

It all depends on what pace you like life to go at.
    I love both Cornwall and Devon.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i think if someone is an arrogant twat, it doesnt mater if they are english or welsh, its the upbringing they have had, not the country they come from
  • Options
    Lived in North Wales for a few years. Never had any problems at all as an "Englishman" but then whenever the topic came up, I gave my own (admittedly rather personal) views on the subject and after that, no problems.

Seems people will do anything to avoid the effort of thinking, including giving up their predjudices.

Interestingly, all the people I worked with down there wound up with my accent. No idea why it happened that way around but there ya go.

I did notice that the atagonism was towards certain tones of voice as much as anything - people in Wrexham sound very welsh compared to those in Connah's Quay for example, but then they have the plastic scousers to contend with.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    sorry it might just be me being drunk and very irish tonight, but you have to admit it, throughout history..well since 1066 ;) the english have been the most aggresive, imperialist wankers you have ever known and i'm sure most of the people are alright but the country itself has dug a hole it can't get out off and it's no wonder everyone hates them..oops haha...true though.. :)
    and here lay the nub of the matter ...the english indeed were agressive and grabbing and very sucsessful at it.
    so much so they conquered the universe and you lot as well.
    defeated nations always seem to hold grudges for evermore.
  • Options
    Ah I was going to make a post about how meaningless and idiotic it is to hate England and English people as it is in fact Scots, Welsh and Irish people that are more arrogant and hate filled about the English than vice versa, butI give up, too many morons on this thread . :)
  • Options
    Its a completely accurate statement. England essentially subsidises Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for everything.
    Not in every case. Most cities in England, such as Liverpool and Manchester receive a lot of their water from Wales, on the cheap. Such arrangements should be stopped. But you Matadore, are indeed a complete tosspot.
    no. (wales would not survive without investment from england) can you think of a single welsh company that provides large employment investment? the problem with wales is theres to many fucking mountains! i think i'm correct in saying that wales is the only country in the western world that doesn't have a modern multi laned highway connecting its south to its north ...it just aint possible.
    Only one motorway in the whole country. I remember a few years ago, my parents used to go on bus trips down into South Wales. I always refused to go. Why? Because the roads were all bumpy and made me feel sick! Also, there are no cities in North Wales which is utterly bizarre in my opinion.
    omg! (to the disturbing revelation that Jim V is related to the President of Plaid Cymru) if that lot ever get in power the english will be leaving in droves ...seriously.
    Not just the English, Rolly. :p
  • Options
    Not in every case. Most cities in England, such as Liverpool and Manchester receive a lot of their water from Wales, on the cheap. Such arrangements should be stopped. But you Matadore, are indeed a complete tosspot.

Since the coal mines closed Wales has nothing of value to export, apart from water. THats all theyve got. Do I need to tell you exactly how much goes across to Wales from England compared to how much comes the other way?

Wales and Scotland are burdens on the English taxpayer, just like Europe was a burden on the US taxpayer during the cold war (and now to a lesser degree).
  • Options
    Since the coal mines closed Wales has nothing of value to export, apart from water. THats all theyve got. Do I need to tell you exactly how much goes across to Wales from England compared to how much comes the other way?

Wales and Scotland are burdens on the English taxpayer, just like Europe was a burden on the US taxpayer during the cold war (and now to a lesser degree).

You are truely and utterly an xenophobic nationalist nasty piece of work you know that. I hate people like you so much. As has been said before Wales and Scotlands may be nations in their own right, but they are also regions of the UK. By your standards you would seem to suggest nowhere pays taxes to anywhere else in the UK. Hell why don't you just divide England up into the counties while you are at it.
  • Options

Not as much as Northern Ireland, and the North East is a drain into the bargin. In fact its really only the South East and London which stays afloat.
  • Options
    You are truely and utterly an xenophobic nationalist nasty piece of work you know that. I hate people like you so much. As has been said before Wales and Scotlands may be nations in their own right, but they are also regions of the UK. By your standards you would seem to suggest nowhere pays taxes to anywhere else in the UK. Hell why don't you just divide England up into the counties while you are at it.

I never suggested that Wales and Scotland dont pay taxes, just that England pays vastly more than both of them togeather and that massive amounts of English money is spent on projects in Wales and Scotland with very little given in return.
  • Options
    I never suggested that Wales and Scotland dont pay taxes, just that England pays vastly more than both of them togeather and that massive amounts of English money is spent on projects in Wales and Scotland with very little given in return.

Maybe thats because England is so much bigger than Wales and Scotland put together. :rolleyes:

Are you saying you would make the welsh and the scots pay the same amount as the English. :yeees:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Are you saying you would make the welsh and the scots pay the same amount as the English. :yeees:

I'd suggest that the Scots attempt to not just live on Government jobs, and the same goes for the North East.

Oh, and Northern Ireland isnt even ours anyway.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Oh, and Northern Ireland isnt even ours anyway

Well its part of the United Kingdom last time I looked and is recognised as such by all competent authorities (even the Republic now conceeds its part of the UK). If not being connected to Great Britain stops you being British say goodbye to the Isle of Wight
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Well its part of the United Kingdom last time I looked and is recognised as such by all competent authorities (even the Republic now conceeds its part of the UK). If not being connected to Great Britain stops you being British say goodbye to the Isle of Wight

I presume you know the history of Ireland, it may not now be part of another country, but to be frank its not exactly English soil. But thats a totally different debate I suppose.

The Matador might be putting it in a slightly cold way, but he is right, the South East and London fund the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    AFAIK more tax revenue comes in from Scotland that goes up to it. I may be wrong though, but they've got the North Sea Oil + the fishing up there. London has the financial markets etc.
  • Options
    No Scotland is definately a net taker from the pot, it does not contribute to the rest of the UK, it takes. (in financial terms).

And as to whom the oil and fish belong is another matter altogether.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I presume you know the history of Ireland, it may not now be part of another country, but to be frank its not exactly English soil. But thats a totally different debate I suppose.

The Matador might be putting it in a slightly cold way, but he is right, the South East and London fund the rest of the UK.

I think you're illustrating why many of us non-English Brits get irritated with the English, as its never, ever has been and never, ever will be a part of England. However Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom since 1805 and Northern Ireland since 1921.

I don't disagree that parts of the UK subsidise other parts (which is no different from many other countries), but it does miss the point. London only subsidises the UK by having some high wealth producing organisations, but these organisations rely being able to get people from through out the UK. You'll find very top firms or organisations where the staff only come from London and the South East.

The other thing is that London and the South East might have been richer without Northern Ireland, Scotland, wales and he rest of England, but it then looses people like Oscar Wilde, Wellington, AlanBrooke, Adam Smith, Alexander Graham Bell...
This discussion has been closed.