Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    When will it get into your head that the Welsh and NI assemblies are virtually powerless! Methinks luke is a little englander...doesnt like immigrants, doesnt like the scottish, welsh or irish....
    Yes I'm English... haven't you established that one?

Yes I know the powers of the Welsh assembly and the N.I isn't currently operating but it's their own fault.

I do NOT want Welsh, Scottish nor N.I MP's voting on legislation that affects England.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Yes I'm English... haven't you established that one?

Yes I know the powers of the Welsh assembly and the N.I isn't currently operating but it's their own fault.

I do NOT want Welsh, Scottish nor N.I MP's voting on legislation that affects England.

Why is it their own fault?

No voting on anything that effects England at all? Not even UK things?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Why is it their own fault?

No voting on anything that effects England at all? Not even UK things?
    It's their fault since they have failed to set up an executive and work toward the Good Friday Agreement which would establish a devolved assembly. They haven't been cooperating therefore Direct Rule from London they get!

No Welsh Scottish and N.I MP should be allowed to vote on legislation that will ONLY affect English. If it's legilsation for the whole of the UK such as tax or defence then of course all MP's should be allowed to vote.

Where is the justice when Scottish MP's vote for their domestic issues at home without any English interfearance when Scottish MP's can vote for Foundation hospitals and top up fees on the English when they voted against that measure in their country? What do you say about that?

Only English MP's to vote on English issues.
    Only Welsh MP's to vote on Welsh issues.
    Only N.I MP's to vote on N.I issues.
    Only Scottish Mp's to vote on Scottish issues.
    The U.K parliament should reserve all the powers of the Uk as a whole such as defence and the economy.
    Isn't this simple?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It's their fault since they have failed to set up an executive and work toward the Good Friday Agreement which would establish a devolved assembly. They haven't been cooperating therefore Direct Rule from London they get!

Do you have any clue as to how complicated the Northern Ireland peace process is? The Ireland conflict has been going on almost 100 years and you think it is able to be stopped easily? How would you do this?

Also there isnt conflict in Wales, so how can you blame the Welsh on not having power in their assembly?
    luke88 wrote:
    No Welsh Scottish and N.I MP should be allowed to vote on legislation that will ONLY affect English. If it's legilsation for the whole of the UK such as tax or defence then of course all MP's should be allowed to vote.

Fair enough.
    luke88 wrote:
    Where is the justice when Scottish MP's vote for their domestic issues at home without any English interfearance when Scottish MP's can vote for Foundation hospitals and top up fees on the English when they voted against that measure in their country? What do you say about that?

Would you be saying this if was the reverse throughout the 1980s and 1990s when Scotland and Wales were having laws they didnt vote for imposed on them by England?
    luke88 wrote:
    Only English MP's to vote on English issues.
    Only Welsh MP's to vote on Welsh issues.
    Only N.I MP's to vote on N.I issues.
    Only Scottish Mp's to vote on Scottish issues.
    The U.K parliament should reserve all the powers of the Uk as a whole such as defence and the economy.
    Isn't this simple?

I wouldnt have thought you would have advocated a partial break up of the UK.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Do you have any clue as to how complicated the Northern Ireland peace process is? The Ireland conflict has been going on almost 100 years and you think it is able to be stopped easily? How would you do this?

Also there isnt conflict in Wales, so how can you blame the Welsh on not having power in their assembly?

I understand the problems in N.I and I also understand they can't be resolved over night but they have been trying to resolve these problems for years and years and yet there is dead lock but this isn't my point. Someone complained about N.I been ruled from London but my answer to this is that it's not my problem since they have failed to sort their differences therefore a assembly won't be granted and direct rule will apply.

I haven't blamed the Welsh for not having legislative devolution. Read what I write.
    Renzo wrote:
    Would you be saying this if was the reverse throughout the 1980s and 1990s when Scotland and Wales were having laws they didnt vote for imposed on them by England?
    Go read my others posts they will answer this one.
    Renzo wrote:
    I wouldnt have thought you would have advocated a partial break up of the UK.
    Of course not. I just don't like seeing MP's other than English MP's voting on issues that affect England only.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    In my experience you can have a good bit of banter with the Scotts - they're good at taking the piss, they can handle it when it's aimed back at them and they can take the piss out of themselves. The English arn't so good at it but the Welsh are the worst. One piss take out of Wales or the Welsh and they throw a fit.
    Believe me, I've noticed. You should see the letters pages in some of my local newspapers. About three-quarters of the ones they print are about the subject. I'm surprised that I haven't seen a letter yet calling for those who mock the Welsh to be executed.

Mind you, after hundreds of years of English rule, Welsh and Scots have every right to be chippy. And if anyone wonders, no, I'm not going to support England in the World Cup. Partly because they're going to get thrashed by Germany anyway. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Mind you, after hundreds of years of English rule, Welsh and Scots have every right to be chippy.

Not getting at you but, for the Scots at least, it's way more complex. The Scots where only sporadically under English rule and, even then, it was only a fairly small percentage. The first king of Britain was Scottish after all. The apparent cause for the frankly foolhardy resentment starts 1707 and finishes 1746.

1707, the Scottish parliament is dissolved, which stops the country going bankrupt but the Scots blame the English for the country going bankrupt, which is odd because the Spanish and the Scots themselves are really the ones at fault.

Then the highland clearances start. That's where the real resentment steems from, as far as I can gather. It's all fucking stupid quite frankly.
  • Options
    Does all this really matter? were all British ffs! together were one the richest most powerful and succesful countries in the world, with a long and proud history. Going on about anchient disputes is pointless, everyone was pretty evil back then.
  • Options
    Of course it matters. It explains how Britain came to be Britain and why the seperate countries are a part of it. And it helps to understand the underlying relationships throughtout the country.

To use it all as a source of resentment is pointless and that's why I said that bearing a grudge was "fucking stupid quite frankly".
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Of course it matters. It explains how Britain came to be Britain and why the seperate countries are a part of it. And it helps to understand the underlying relationships throughtout the country.

To use it all as a source of resentment is pointless and that's why I said that bearing a grudge was "fucking stupid quite frankly".

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:

Fair enough. Although technically, they arent countries, they're nations.
  • Options
    Fair enough. Although technically,they arent countries, they're nations.

The appliance of science ! ! !

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Oops did a double post.
    The appliance of science ! ! !

Yeah, yeah, thats really...cool..
  • Options
    Bloody hell is this thread really still going strong? i've been away for months!
  • Options
    I was a the Funeral For A Friend gig in Edinburgh on Wednesday night. They called us their Celtic brothers (which we are!) and the night was pretty much devoted to that and that thank God we're not English! Yess...

Anyways, didn't the Stereophonics sing, "As long as we beat the English we don't care"?

Yup!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I think everyone hates the English tbh

My other half is Irish and is ALWAYS on at me about how awful we are :p

And quite right he is too. :yes:

(jk!)
  • Options
    (Engalnd, Wales, Scot, NI are not actually countries).

Actually we are, even the Prime Ministers website says so. We are known as Constituent Countries.
  • Options
    Yup. To be officially classified as a country, you need a seat at the UN and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland don't have one. Then again, neither has England. Given the amount of non-England people on these boards, I'll save my argument as to why Wales, Scotland and NI are part of England for another day.
  • Options
    I'll save my argument as to why Wales, Scotland and NI are part of England for another day.
    i won't ...is cos we own 'em.
    conquered ...defeated nations always moan and groan for hundreds of years ...get over it!
    you pay your taxes to england and luckily for the welsh as it would have nothing ...absolutely nothing without the english.
  • Options
    When i went to wales i seemed to meet 2 kind of people in the area.

1. Hated the English, avoided eye contact, unfriendley, stared at us as if we shouldnt be there.

2. Very friendly, had a love-hate thing. Was mainly banter, very nice people

I guess it the same everywhere
  • Options
    I live near Wales. I don't care for them much, not bothered bout the other way around.
  • Options
    When I lived in Wales there was a fair bit of banter, but no more than you'd get between Northerners and Southerners. I didn't meet anyone who actually hated the English, or even disliked them, but I'm sure there are plenty. Actually, Welsh people who didn't speak Welsh seemed to be the target of the most abuse from Welsh speakers. But then I happen to believe that proper nationalistic people are often the biggest bunch of cunts around, no matter what country they come from. But overall, you get more hatred between supporters of rival football teams than from the Welsh against the English.
  • Options
    Actually, Welsh people who didn't speak Welsh seemed to be the target of the most abuse from Welsh speakers. But then I happen to believe that proper nationalistic people are often the biggest bunch of cunts around, no matter what country they come from.
    This is true. In my area, people who come into the area and don't learn Welsh are subject to ridicule and mockery. There's been a movement in the Welsh media (which is mostly written in English, ironically) to stir this up, and it doesn't help anyone. We also have idiots from Plaid Cymru trying to stir things up for political advantage. Never have I seen such hatred of the English than from a party which is currently led by a folk singer.

For a moment, I'm actually glad Labour is the main party in Wales. All the others would be so much worse!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I think everyone hates the English tbh
    most of europe seems to imo.
  • Options
    Th dutch loved us over there, so not everywhere in europe!
  • Options
    I don't think anyone in Europe particularly hate the English.

The English (or British) government, yeah sure. And who can't blame them?

The English have a bad image in many places abroad where British resorts are to be found- and that's no surprise either. But other than that I don't think anyone hates the English at all... on the contrary in fact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't think anyone in Europe particularly hate the English.

The English (or British) government, yeah sure. And who can't blame them?

The English have a bad image in many places abroad where British resorts are to be found- and that's no surprise either. But other than that I don't think anyone hates the English at all... on the contrary in fact.

Noone hates the English.

There's just a significant minority that give everyone else a bad name. That's the way it goes.
  • Options
    Yeah agreed, we will still take the piss out of english people but it's only banter, the same as I always get taken the piss out of when i'm visiting my english friends/family:thumb:

Hope that sums it up, you wankers :D
  • Options
    Afraid so. Im a Welshmen and it is much worse in more rural welsh areas. They hate us in Cardiff because we are too English for them apparently. We even have the welsh national anthem sung at us by opposition rugby fans.
  • Options
    My old man reckons the North Wales lot are a bunch of cunts to anyone who wasnt born north of Aberdare anyway.
This discussion has been closed.