Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont actually mind the system, of course the richer areas have to fund those less well off.

But, I am concerned as to how much of the wealth generated in the North East and Scotland is just government money, its not growth at all.

I dont believe that The State breeds a culture of dependance on a individual level, but it could create a situation of long term dependancy on government money for whole areas.

And I think London deserves £1bn of the £5bn it gives to the rest of the country back. We have poor people too and we have problems too.
  • Options
    going back to the topic, I hate the Welsh, the Scots, and everyone living north of Watford and west of Reading.
    Probably "hate" is the wrong word, yes it is the wrong word because in fairness I've met the odd few who are nice people. There again I don't like a lot of people who live in the south-east so I suppose the problem lies with me rather than them.
  • Options
    going back to the topic, I hate the Welsh, the Scots, and everyone living north of Watford and west of Reading - I think that'll do for now.

Ahhh i thought you were a fuckwit....but you are actually a troll.

Go scare some billygoats or something, theres a good fellah.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I presume you know the history of Ireland, it may not now be part of another country, but to be frank its not exactly English soil..

Its not a matter of it being "English" soil. A lot of people seem confused, they seem to confuse England with the UK.
  • Options
    Scotland and Wales do very well out of the UK. If they weren't a part of it, they'd be considerably shitter.

"... the Barnett formula, under which Scotland, Wales - and Northern Ireland when powers are devolved - receive a higher proportion of general taxpayers' funds than England. Scotland receives between £500 and £1,000 more per person."

Link
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I think the way people feel about each other is clearly demonstrated at sporting events. The English will generally support the Scotts or Welsh after their own team, but in my experience it doesn't work the other way - they love to see us lose.
    I think that's sad.

That's actually a bit of a misconception, plenty of people up here support the English national team. At Ibrox a Scotland top is a rare sight, an English one certainly isn't. It's all political and socially related.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Spliffie wrote:
    That's actually a bit of a misconception

Well plenty of you fellow Scottish and Welsh posters have proved on this board in the past that it's not really a misconception.

ETA This
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Well plenty of you fellow Scottish and Welsh posters have proved on this board in the past that it's not really a misconception.

ETA This

Being Scottish, I can tell you the notion that the English somehow support Scotland more than the Scots support England is a categorical misconception. Some do, some don't, some couldn't care less.
  • Options
    why???

i really dont understand why this is even up for discussion! maybe its something i havent been educated on ... but if we are all joined together as one (the UNITED kingdom) then why are we constantly treating each other like were enemies?
    im just really confused at the moment - im english and have been going out with a welsh guy i met at uni. hes the best thing thats ever happened to me and ive never met anyone so brill! but still iv had to put up wiv my dads and his mates constant comments n sly digs sayin im doing something wrong as hes welsh n the 2 shouldn't even mix! but nobody can educate me on why - its just like some kind of unwritten rule. surely it shouldnt matter what country a person is from as everybody from one country is not the same!!! it seems stupid to judge a person by their country! ive met welsh people who are idiots, but some who are great (like my fella) but the same applies to english n people from every country!!! so why are people (like my dad and his mates) holding onto prejudices that shouldnt exist?? :crying:
  • Options
    This thread is old. You are clearly new!

Rivalries have always existed between countries, it's probably a throw-back to England being percieved as being the bully boys of the UK. No point getting your knickers in a twist (literally) Next time his dad says something just call him a sheep shagger.
  • Options
    i really dont understand why this is even up for discussion! maybe its something i havent been educated on ... but if we are all joined together as one (the UNITED kingdom) then why are we constantly treating each other like were enemies?
    im just really confused at the moment - im english and have been going out with a welsh guy i met at uni. hes the best thing thats ever happened to me and ive never met anyone so brill! but still iv had to put up wiv my dads and his mates constant comments n sly digs sayin im doing something wrong as hes welsh n the 2 shouldn't even mix! but nobody can educate me on why - its just like some kind of unwritten rule. surely it shouldnt matter what country a person is from as everybody from one country is not the same!!! it seems stupid to judge a person by their country! ive met welsh people who are idiots, but some who are great (like my fella) but the same applies to english n people from every country!!! so why are people (like my dad and his mates) holding onto prejudices that shouldnt exist?? :crying:
    spidermv1fb.gif
  • Options
    I went to uni in Wales. I loved the banter with the locals. But even in Wales you then have the North/South and English-speaking/Welsh-speaking divide. Of course you're gonna get a few nationalistic fuckwits, but the same goes for every country. Most of it's just a bit of light-hearted pisstaking though, the same as the English and the French do.
  • Options
    Renton:
    Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers.

;)
  • Options
    :D

Damn I really wanna watch trainspotting now but haven't got it handy!
  • Options
    If i was welsh, I'd hate the English.
  • Options
    The Scots have a much more healthy tounge in cheek attitude to the english,
    Very rarely will you get direct rudeness more like a laugh and a comment if anyting atall, people will talk to you about it rather than just snear.
    Definatly the Welsh are much more bitter and nasty with regards their attitudes to the english, not sure why this is?
  • Options
    Definatly the Welsh are much more bitter and nasty with regards their attitudes to the english, not sure why this is?
    Because noone outside of Britain has ever heard of Wales (remember that EU map that missed Wales off completely) and so it gets lumped with England. Scotland has it's own identity. I mean Scotland have got haggis, tartan, whisky, whereas Wales has got......sheep?
  • Options
    The Scots have a much more healthy tounge in cheek attitude to the english,
    Very rarely will you get direct rudeness more like a laugh and a comment if anyting atall, people will talk to you about it rather than just snear.

Because the English are exactly the same to the Welsh? Also Ever noticed on TV to the Welsh person is always some moron/freak?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Because the English are exactly the same to the Welsh? Also Ever noticed on TV to the Welsh person is always some moron/freak?
    Like Huw Edwards?
  • Options
    Like Huw Edwards?

Especially Huw Edwards :grump:

But seriously, in things like reality TV (i dont watch it myself but ive been informed) it seems that the Welsh person is always someone who is as thick as plank. But hey ho i guess anyone in those shows is a dick anyway.
  • Options
    im at uni in cardiff and everyone welsh i see and speak to here is always very pleasant :D

although saying that, i have met a few 'northern welsh' people and they were a bit chilly with me (and my english friends) dont know why they would be worse than their southern counterparts though
  • Options
    Wales is a lot more like England in terms of institutions such as health, education and legal system. The only main feature Wales differs on England is language. Why the Welsh should dislike the English is questionable... visa vera too. Why hate each other? We should be working together. And Wales... you have your own assembly now and remember the barnett formula, which is still in place?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Wales is a lot more like England in terms of institutions such as health, education and legal system. The only main feature Wales differs on England is language. Why the Welsh should dislike the English is questionable... visa vera too. Why hate each other? We should be working together. And Wales... you have your own assembly now and remember the barnett formula, which is still in place?

The Welsh Assembly is virtually powerless.
  • Options
    I mean Scotland have got haggis, tartan, whisky, whereas Wales has got......sheep?

Laverbread! :yum:

All this "us" and "them" bullshit really gets on my nerves. I tend to like people, not nationalities.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Laverbread! :yum:

All this "us" and "them" bullshit really gets on my nerves. I tend to like people, not nationalities.

:yes:

My girlfriend just happens to be Welsh and i have a few welsh friends but most of them are English. They do rip me for not having a world cup team :(
  • Options
    I'm Welsh, and i live with alot of English people. I always get ripped for being Welsh, so i think it goes both ways.
  • Options
    At the end of the day were all British, just living in different parts of the country. I think one of the main reason there is friction between the home nations (Engalnd, Wales, Scot, NI are not actually countries) is because of sport. Football, rugby and cricket have always had seperate national teams and I think this is one of the reasons theres is somtimes friction, especially because England generally dominates (although not in rugby!). I'm English, and I like the Welsh, i like the Scots and like our friends up in Northern Island, the problem is, you get some loud mouth ignorrent tosser who says stuff like "England is more important", but who cares which region of the UK is more productive, it doesnt matter, were all British at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I like all Brits tbh. We are all just British.

If all the twats who hated the other parts of Britain stopped doing so and we could all get along more as one nation... then we'd be better off overall. All of us.
  • Options
    You can use the same argument to say that we shouldn't even identify ourselves as British either, just part of the human race.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    The Welsh Assembly is virtually powerless.
    Yeah I know but it's more than what the English have got.
This discussion has been closed.